[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, I'm trying to visit every US state. Next on my list

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: serveimage (3).gif (15KB, 480x306px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage (3).gif
15KB, 480x306px
So, I'm trying to visit every US state. Next on my list is Alabama... I'm having a hard time finding anything interesting to go see in "the heart of the South". I love charming southern culture like in Savannah GA and Charleston SC...

Don't care about Civil Rights or Civil War bullshit.
>>
Alabama has beaches on the Gulf Coast, and NASA around Huntsville.

You're working in alphabetical order, aren't you?
>>
>>1293545
Nasa is Huntsville is a good recommendation

>>1293532
What part of Alabama are you passing through, North, South, and Central are all pretty different. If you go down South on the coast just check out Battleship Park, where you can tour a battleship and a submarine from ww2. Try some of the local restaurants or something.
>>
>>1293545
>You're working in alphabetical order, aren't you?

Yes, I've been to a couple of states randomly but I'm starting the "gotta catch 'em all" thing in the Yellowhammer state.
>>
>>1293548
>What part of Alabama are you passing through

Well I'm driving in from Florida, so ideally something in the southern part of the state but it doesn't matter too much.
>>
>>1293564
There is a somewhat infamous bar called the Flora Bama right near the border of the two states. It's a good way to experience southern coastal night life.

Battleship park is right off I-10 so you could stop there for as long as you like depending on how interested you are in that stuff, it's not really a locally oriented tour. It's more of a typical military museum.

Government Street in Mobile, AL will have a lot of historical southern houses, and nearby is an ok night life spot.

Is there anything in particular you like to do when traveling?
>>
>>1293532
>southern "culture"
>charming

Oh boy
>>
>>1293576
>yankee nigger detected
>>
>>1293573
>Is there anything in particular you like to do when traveling?

See architecture, nature, and eating local food like a fatass.
>>
>>1293532
Is NASA in Huntsville set up to be touristy?
I thought Houston and Florida owned that claim to fame.

I don't know go eat some fried chicken ride around on a riverboat, and visit some old plantation and hear the owners brag about, then briefly pretend to care about the human suffering they caused.

Do you like football, isn't that where the Crimson Tide is? If you can find a southern belle, wait till her period then fuck her and take a selfie with a red crotch.
>>
>>1293584
>best recommendations yet
>>
>>1293532
>US state
>United States state
>>
>>1293576
>Oh boy
Yes, they do use that term a lot.
>>
>>1293532
sadly the food is not nearly as good as Mississippi or Louisiana's so you are kinda out of luck, the food would be good but not the best in the US. Alabama has good beaches and some cool college towns, and now that football season is coming up you could see SEC culture up close
>>
Prepare to be unimpressed
>>
Mobile Alabama is nice at times. Go during downtown artwalk if you can, the city transforms into a hip lively atmosphere.

In general though, flyover states aren't about doing things. Visit some small town, with some small dinner, maybe a bar, and just get to know the down to earth people. You'll meet some friendly people and might have a good time.

Have fun!
>>
>>1293629
I have an aunt in Huntsville that works at NASA, I've stayed with her many times but never went thete because I assumed that location was just an office building or something. There's like 15 states with dedicated NASA facilities so that sciencey types can find work all over the nation and won't cause a brain drain by clustering all in parts of Cali.
>>
>>1293581
In Mobile, drive through bankhead tunnel and then through government street. Look at all the houses on each side, you can walk around but the sidewalks are semi patrolled by vagrants. When you get to the end of the old houses on government street there is a popeyes on your right, across from it is a place called mudbugs. They have gulf coast style seafood. fAlso, When you exit Bankhead tunnel to your right is the nightlife area of Mobile, which is ok. The area immediately around the cathedral has good restaurants and bars. Just pick one that has the type of food you like.

Try to find some local, local restaurants, they are usually hidden behind the main roads. If you can find a soul food buffet you are in luck, but they are not easy to locate. Original Oyster house and Wintzells are the local chains that started in the area. They are pricey but a pretty safe bet for the staple southern friend seafood you get in AL. If you can find a local place that isn't a chain it should also be good.

There is a town called Fairhope (pic related), that is small but upscale. If you want a safe place that has more of a resort feel and good food that is a nice spot. It's not as wild as Mobile. It has a lot of art galleries, it's quiet, has a good amount of bars, really good food, and a nice view of the bay. You could spend a day there window shopping and it would be a pleasant experience. It's a place with a lot of retirees but there are also a fair amount of young people hanging around. There is a restaurant on the pier too with some good seafood. Pic is of the pier with the restaurant.

Gulf Shores is a good city too. It's just a beach town with a bit of a redneck feel.

I don't think you will see much that is extraordinary travel wise, but just getting the different vibe would be worth the stop I guess.
>>
File: fairhopepear.jpg (162KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
fairhopepear.jpg
162KB, 800x534px
>>1294086
Wow, that post was a mess. Here is the pic of the pier. I'm being wordy but I'm stretching a bit to find things for you to see.
>>
>>1293576
It is, Reddit. It's the most saturated form of true American culture you'll find
>guns
>freedumbs
>muh religion
>barbecue
>obesity
>car culture
>Southern hospitality
>monster truck rallies and demolition derbies
>NASCAR
>football
>>
>>1293548
>Battleship Park, where you can tour a battleship

But if you are doing all the states, still ahve to do NC, and want to see a battleship in a better state of preservation, go see the North Carolina in Wilmington. The Alabama was stripped of a lot of stuff before the state got hold of it and made a park/monument out of it, the North Carolina is much more intact.
>>
>>1293573
>Flora Bama

I attended the New Years Day Polar Bear Plunge there some years ago. Great place for it, the water is not very cold...
>>
>>1293769
Yes, a state in the United states. Sorry of this confused you.
>>
>>1294072
They have a Saturn V on display in Huntsville, and a standing replica, only one I know of in the world where you can get a feel for the thing towering above you.

https://www.nasa.gov/centers/marshall/about/visitor.html

>I assumed

If you admittedly then have no idea about the topic, it's OK not to post.
>>
>>1294165
It's also ok to post regardless, if you disagree then complain to a mod and maybe they'll delete for you, otherwise just move along.
>>
>>1293532
I'm from Alabama and I suggest you eat at Dreamland BBQ in Birmingham or Tuscaloosa.
>>
>>1294195
Also, college football season is starting. I suggest seeing an Alabama game. It's quite an experience. Great atmosphere.
>>
>>1294174
I don't disagree, he is 100% correct that he has no idea what he is talking about.

He can post anyway, nothing bannable there, but it is OK if, next time he doesn't know anything, he just reads the thread rather than posting "I don't know, but here's what I would guess..." Just want him to know he has the option.
>>
>>1293532
Go fish for shrimp.
>>
>>1294955
shrimp is actually a massive cultural part of alabama

check out bayou la batre op, just drive around and eat at some places that have shrimp po boys

vid related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rT5fYMfEUc
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.