[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>family member goes on vacation >brings magnet of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

File: rqw.jpg (31KB, 659x609px) Image search: [Google]
rqw.jpg
31KB, 659x609px
>family member goes on vacation
>brings magnet of *famous sight* as a gift
>>
>>1292360
>brother goes to Taiwan for 7 months
>brings me back a 20-pack of plastic orange chopsticks

fuck you, cory
>>
>>1292360
All my REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEs
>>
>>1292360
>daughter goes on summer trip
>she brought back a nice young lad named jamal who says that theyre planning to marry soon
>>
>people unironically want me to buy them shit from my vacations
>>
>>1292360
>autistic son goes 'travelling'
>doesn't bring me back any souvenirs
I should never have had that vaccine.
>>
I always bring back magnets for my parents (among other things) and they hang it on their front door
>>
I buy them for my grandma. She hangs them on her fridge.

She can't really travel any more and she says it's like she travels the world when she has breakfast next to her fridge.
>>
I buy a magnet for every city I'm in, write the year I've bought them and hang them on my freezer.
>>
>>1292360
> cousin, which I'm close to, asks me to bring her a snowglobe from everywhere I travel to, bitches if I bring her something else (clothing, jewellery, etc.)
> asks me to find one when I go to fucking Cambodia, well-known for its ski resorts and harsh winters
> manages to find one with Angkor Wat in the globe against all expectation
> bitches because the sprinkles in the globe are multicoloured, not just white

Family, man.
>>
File: 40676469.jpg (12KB, 203x200px) Image search: [Google]
40676469.jpg
12KB, 203x200px
>>1292575
Underrated (if scientifically unproven) post.
>>
>>1292684
Thank you mate, I know that it is probably a myth but I always favour comedic value over facts.
>>
File: fridge magnets.jpg (309KB, 968x1296px) Image search: [Google]
fridge magnets.jpg
309KB, 968x1296px
>>1292360
STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE!
>>
File: 20170825_134006.jpg (822KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170825_134006.jpg
822KB, 2560x1440px
>>1292727
I didn't say it as a negative thing, I also love magnets
>>
>>1292360
>Shitpost
This.
>Thoughtful thread
Souvenir general.
So, /trv/, what souvenirs do you get people when you travel? What souvenirs did you always want? Tips for haggling/quality control? Experiences and questions also welcome.
>>
File: IMG_20170825_235302.jpg (4MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170825_235302.jpg
4MB, 3120x4160px
> not liking magnets souvenir

Fite me IRL m8
>>
>>1292794
On my study abroad I brought some clubs some stickers from my club that does the same thing, and a metal plaque-thing to hang somewhere in their room.

Let's turn this into a "what to bring people you meet while traveling," thread too.

Do Japanese like stickers? Have I been memed on? What are some things I could bring from California that would be good trinkets and chotskies?
>>
File: baleen.jpg (135KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
baleen.jpg
135KB, 600x800px
>dad goes to some tiny remote whaling town in alaska for work
>brings back this thing

thanks dad
>>
In my family we always do Christmas tree ornaments. The only magnets on the fridge are pictures of the current and previous two popes
>>
>>1292794
For my family, I brought them so much shit for 3d world shitholes that I try to find "useful" things now, such as food products (spices, local candies, sauces) or other thingamajig : incense, perfume...

Preferably things that can be consumed so it doesn't take any room.

I often bring toys from everywhere for my nephews, they are getting some serious RealTravelerTM toy collection now.
>>
>>1292904
What the fuck is that thing and how the hell did he manage tu put this in the overhead compartement ?
>>
>>1292904
Ooo, pretty cool souvenir. One day...there will be none left :(

I used to collect city stickers that I slapped onto my band instrument case. It got out of hand. I have friends that do the magnets and the shot glasses.

I try to bring back alcohol (local liquers) ,candies, maybe something more cool like birch syrup, local honey or jam, or just original art, like prints. I have some nice framed art that grace the bathrooms, hallways, even closets. They bring back the best memories..that lovely cultural drawing or beach scene, or that nice conversation I had in that art gallery. It doesn't have to always be expensive, sometimes just post card sized, but I always get them good frames.
>>
File: pho-graveyard_new.jpg (502KB, 1296x1936px) Image search: [Google]
pho-graveyard_new.jpg
502KB, 1296x1936px
>>1292908
it's baleen, it comes from inside a whales mouth. the town was so remote it had its own runway and he was brought in on a little cessna.

>>1292909
its in abundant supply at this town he went to, he said there were piles of whale bones and they were used as ornaments everywhere
>>
>>1292360

>family member goes on vacation
>brings back metal toe clippers of *famous sight* as a gift
>>
>>1292727
>>1292742
>>1292877
I prefer putting flags on my fridge.
>>
>>1292612
Did you fuck her
>>
>>1293135
>Did you fuck her
Never change, 4chan.
>>
I never know what the fuck to bring back to friends when I travel. I do the souvenir buying part on the final days when I-m dead ass broke out of money

In germany I ended up buying a bunch of those little jagermeister bottles and gave those away. In lima, I haggled with an old lady who sold those little alpacas made of alpaca wool.
>>
>>1292612
Well if the rest of her collection has white snowflakes then you just ruined the theme.
>>
I know most of the fun is to collect souvenirs by oneself, but has /trv/ ever considered making a gift exchange scheme?
We had those threads sometimes on /ck/, people would ship local candies or edible stuff to other anons across the world. Send one get one.
It was a chance for burgers to get dat kinder surprise, and for yuropoors to finally try out twinkies.
Dunno if anyone here would be up for it. I understand it takes a leap of faith (sending one's address to another 4channer), and costs a little, but that'd be cool.
Send some local stuff to someone preparing a trip to your own town/region for instance.
Just an idea, b-be nice please.
>>
>I go traveling
>family demands that I bring back souvenirs
>I'm only taking a backpack with me
>I buy souvenirs anyway
>wasted my own money
>they don't even like what I bought them
So yeah, I tell them to fuck off now.
>>
>>1292577
>>1292581
>hang
>magnets
>>
>>1292378
>any non-Asian person goes to Asia
>they bring back chopsticks as souvenirs
One of my friends brought back chopsticks when she went to Japan.

Do Asians go to Europe and bring back forks for their friends & family?
>>
>>1293207
Anon's cousin just asked for a snow globe, and wasn't really specific beyond that. I would've made the same mistake, too. How the fuck was I supposed to know that she didn't want multicolored snow if she didn't tell me?

On another note, are snow globes allowed in carry-on luggage?
>>
>That friend who wants you to buy something expensive because "they will give you the money so you can buy it for them"
>>
>>1293261
>>family demands that I bring back souvenirs
>>I'm only taking a backpack with me
ship home
>>
>>1293282
I don't dislike this nearly as much, because at least you're being compensated for it. The only time I would refuse to do this is if the item in question is prohibitively large/heavy/fragile/rare.

>>1293284
Nah, I just choose not to buy souvenirs for ungrateful shits.
>>
Just as bad are shitty keychains/keyrings etc.

I generally don't buy anything overseas anymore unless it's something that would be very hard to find/considerably more expensive.

And never buy gifts for people to bring back. Like bitch do you know how expensive travel is? I don't have a budget for gifts.
>>
>>1293211
Another message board I used to go on did this with postcards and honestly I received some of the most beautiful postcards from that, some people would put in a lot of effort and handmade or draw various cards, it was actually great.

Personally I have 0 interest in fridge magnets and other trinkets, but it's a cute idea for those here that do want that kind of thing.
>>
>brother goes to norway
>ask him for local currrency
>he returnes
>hands me a pouch full of coins
>excited, open the pouch
>find 5€ in coins all kinds and 5 identical Krones, not even one with the hole
>tops all of that with 2 frigde magnets

I kept my composure

At least
>>
>>1293363
at least he enjoyed the place
>>
>>1293354
I was seeing 2 upsides:
- getting something from a place that you know you will never visit.
- getting something you regret not bringing back from a place you visited

But since nobody else picked up on the suggestion I guess it's not relevant.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.