[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do you meet people when traveling? >tfw no social skills,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 3

File: 1484822219361.jpg (507KB, 1080x922px) Image search: [Google]
1484822219361.jpg
507KB, 1080x922px
how do you meet people when traveling?

>tfw no social skills, no friends
>people always talk about the people they meet when traveling, and adventures they go on with these people
>talk about their relationships while traveling
how do I meet people and make friends?

i'm staying at an airbnb on my upcoming trip. should I go to bars (and clubs) alone? talk to random people at tourist sites?
>>
bump

i'm worried someone will ask me about the people I met while traveling. and I'll tell them that "I didn't meet anyone"
>>
>>1291424
If you stay in hostels, ask if you can join your bunkmates for the day or invite others to see what you are going to.

Usually people gravitate to the same 8-10 things in a city, there's a good chance where ever you want to go, they have their eyes on it too. The hardest part is working up the courage to ask.

My first trip I was really shy, my most recent one was much better though, all I did was introduce myself as much as I could with everyone in my room and join in the hostel events.

>should I go to bars (and clubs) alone? talk to random people at tourist sites?
Yes, you can do these too. Most people are traveling at tourist sites so you have that in common already. If you go to a bar sit at the counter, sometimes people will start a conversation with you.

>>1291469

>i'm worried someone will ask me about the people I met while traveling. and I'll tell them that "I didn't meet anyone"
So say that then! I would add "I didn't meet anyone because normally I am very shy". You have now opened up a little to someone and possibly made a better connection, people usually respond well. You can add after, "I am using this trip to try and be more social".

No shortage of people to meet when traveling but remember meeting x number of people is not a requirement of a good trip.
>>
>>1291424
>>1291469

I'm really attractive so it's never a problem for me, but....GOOD LUCK MAN
>>
>>1291477
I'm attractive too but it's still fucking a pain in the ass
All this "talk to people and you won't stay alone long ! :)" i feel is woman advice and it's probably women giving it behind the screen, because yeah women can approach anyone

If you approach a mixed men/women group as a man, the men will hate you and try to get rid of you. They don't want competition it's basic social function. They'll bring you down and not want you, unless you are either in a gay bar or a woman
>>
i know that girl on the left, we frequented the same vip areas. she's always up for a chat with anyone that goes up to her, genuinely nice, albeit quite dumb.
so yeah, just walk up to people.
>>
>>1291490
>just walk up to people.
Assuming you're a man, alone or with friends how many times in your life have you been "just walked up to" on ?
Hard mode : not counting the crazy people, the beggars and the tourists
>>
>>1291491
Very few but I have also spent most of life with a leave me alone kind of attitude. Approaching you will face a lot of rejection as well, the ones who you do make a connection with are usually pretty cool though.

>>1291489
>They don't want competition it's basic social function
So don't be a threat and add to the group.

Talking to people is a really basic thing and not as big of a deal as everyone thinks. Everyone seems to have this notion that if it doesn't go perfectly then you should never do it.
>>
>>1291496
>don't be a threat and add to the group.
What does this mean ? You are always a threat by definition because they want to shag the women of the group and don't want you bothering them. Not to mention if the group has known each other for years its basically impossible to join.
Lone men and men groups are different but who cares about them though
>Talking to people is a really basic thing and not as big of a deal as everyone thinks. Everyone seems to have this notion that if it doesn't go perfectly then you should never do it.
No you should and nothing bad will happen but don't expect anything because you're not going to get it
>>
>>1291499
>Lone men and men groups are different but who cares about them though

So basically you only approach people because you're hoping to get laid... no wonder those groups try to get rid of you.
>>
>>1291500
Well i do make friends if i know i'm going to keep them and see them again, one-week friends abroad always seemed pointless to me t b h
>>
>>1291500
>So basically you only approach people because you're hoping to get laid.
This, everyone will know, that is what makes you a threat. Bring fun, be fun and smile. If they really want to get rid of you just take a hint a leave, no problem.
>>1291499
>You are always a threat by definition because they want to shag the women of the group and don't want you bothering them. Not to mention if the group has known each other for years its basically impossible to join
This is in your head, even if it is true in a situation, who cares?

>don't expect anything because you're not going to get it
No don't expect anything, they owe you nothing. That said that doesn't mean nothing good can come of it. You will be surprised who you can meet.

>>1291502
Some are even one evening friends, I think that's the fun of it though. Maybe never seeing someone again or deciding to keep in contact. It's great practice for socializing though.
>>
>>1291504
>Bring fun
how do you bring fun?
>>
>>1291529
Smile, positive energy, good posture. Pretend your having fun and be excited and stuff.

Hard to explain, it's something you kind of figure out. Usually if you're doing it right, people are happy and invite you out again. Trail and error from that.

Or be a host of an event, invite people for drinks, coffee, hiking, go to the beach, walk around, anything you want.

I'm sorry if it's vague
>>
>>1291541
Not him but i totally know what you mean and it still sucks
I am tired of pretending
I in fact hate everybody around me
>>
be open to conversation,be aware of social overtures and be open
>>
>>1291564
It's not like pretending per se, like if you feel shitty you don't want to drag the group down with you kind of thing. If everyone keeps smiling and laughing you will pull people out of shitty moods.

Eventually it will change your personality and you won't have to pretend, you will have fun. That is my experience with it at least. Used to make me miserable now I'm okay being at home or being out an socializing, it's worth the effort.
>>
Not OP, how do you find interesting places too?
I've never travelled and I can't even find anywhere interesting near where I live let alone in completely alien places.
>>
>>1291614
Read a guide book or look up stuff on your own city and be a tourist at home.

Traveling any tourist map should bring you places that are interesting, you have to dig a little bit more to find really cool places or talk to locals.

In new cities I like to walk around sometimes and see what I can find.

Do you like bars? Clubs? Cafes? Museums? Parks?
>>
This is why I'm scared to travel. I'm a loner with shitty social skills. I want to change but I feel like its my nature and it will follow me wherever I go.
>>
>>1291619
If you want to change you will. Think of it like eating healthy or working out, just something that's in your best interest to get better at. I'm 25 now and just starting to get the hang of it.

It is a domino effect though, once you start meeting people, you meet people they know and it cascades. Accepting invitations is good too, even if it's scary/lot's of unknown people/sounds boring.
>>
>>1291424
>>1291489
A man here. Don't stay in Airbnb you won't meet anyone there, stay in hostels. Go do shit alone people are more likely to talk to and befriend on than a group.

Easy scenarios where you can meet people
Hostel in your room, everyone sitting round start chatting
>where are you from? how long are you here for? are you gonna do X?

Guided tours can work well too
>>
>stay in hostel
>go into common room
>see people
>walk up
>say hi
>engage in conversation

That's literally it
>>
>>1291491
i'm woman, though, so i only know the easy mode. i wouldn't be able to count how many times people walked up to me. (i can count the amount if times they tried to rape me, that's much less.) point was that one girl on the pic is genuinely friendly, she's always up for a chat.
>>
>>1291706
yeah i guessed it and that's exactly the point, look at >>1291496
even the guy who looks social and friendly and optimistic itt admits it, it just doesn't happen, men never get walked up to
you can walk up to women eventually but not just to "people", making friends is not that simple at all, usually you need social setting for that

hence why your advice is not good and you should keep it to yourself, not to be rude but this is like a millionaire telling you how making money is easy
>>
>>1291695
This if your staying at a hostel the common room is literally there just for people who want to meet each other.
>>
>>1291695
>That's literally it
yupp, thats what i do too
>>
>>1291706
if she hangs out in VIP areas, that means there is preselection. she would be fine talking to rich or connected people, might be different for strangers elsewhere
>>
>>1291716
Exactly. And everybody is in the same position too. There are also a lot of good conversation starters in this context
>where are you from?
>how are you liking [place]?
>what have you done here so far?
>did you go to [popular attraction] yet?
>where are you going after?
>where were you before?
>are you going out tonight?

Meeting people in hostels is easiest tier
>>
>>1291722
>>1291717
>>1291716
>>1291695
Do you guys often keep in touch with people you meet?

I find it really hard to have anything to talk about after you part ways, unless one of you comes to the others city for a weekend.
>>
>>1291695
>>1291717
>>1291722
and what if you're at a hotel or airbnb, what can we do?
>>
>>1291820
cancel your hotel/airbnb and book a hostel

or, you know, develop social skills
>>
>>1291823
>or, you know, develop social skills
but how?
>>
>>1291835
kick yourself in the butt, and talk to someone you see over breakfast. if it doesn't go well, ask someone on the street for directions, even if you know the directions. etc get used to talking to people.

>>1291715
meh, just go to eastern europe for a while. it's a bit more chill. people actually talk to each other. every gender to every gender. i also walked up to many guys, like if he looked interesting i would RUN to get an extra drink of what i saw he was having, and put it in his hands and took it from there. yes, it's mostly the other way around, but not as much of an imbalance as it seems elsewhere on the planet, so it's a little bit more fun for everyone. (also walked up to cool girls or girls who seemed lonely etc.)

>>1291720
yeah, true. she also hangs at the basilica/kiraly utca places every now and then.
>>
everybody talks about meeting people when traveling, but nobody talks about the awkward attempts to start conversation that fails. If you're not failing to start conversations, you're probably not trying hard enough.

That said, you don't have to start conversations when traveling. You can just keep to yourself and enjoy it as an observer. As a bonus, eventually you'll run into people starting conversations with you, just be sure to be receptive.
>>
>>1291879

Why are you larping on an image board? That is literally 2 top tier runway/VS models. You do not know them you silly bitch.
>>
>>1291489

>admits to having no social skills
>zealously believes the PUA bullshit he has read on blogs

Gee, I wonder if there is a connection somewhere.
>>
OP, I used to have social anxiety and even agraphobia so I know where you're coming from. It's only on my most recent trip that I feel as though I've completely overcome it. I've had multiple people tell me that it was really good to meet me, so that's been a huge confidence booster.

It's difficult for me to analyze what I've done right this time but I'll have a go.

Stay at hostels if you can (might be too late for you, but bear in mind for the future). When you see someone alone, just say "hey" as you're walking by them or if someone approaches you etc. if they say hi back or don't walk away then follow up with an opening question like "how long are you here for?" or "what brings you to x?". When you're on holiday you have so many conversation starters that you can use, which makes a huge change from meeting someone at a shop back home or whatever.
Then, when they respond, the key is to BE INTERESTED IN WHAT THEY SAY. If someone mentions they came for a conference, ask what it's about etc. Have the intention of learning about the ways that other people live. Not sure if this is something you can fake but I personally think that it's really interesting.

- When you're out and about in the city etc. just ask random people for directions if you want to go somewhere instead of using google maps, or ask for a good place to eat. Train yourself to be ok with approaching random people with genuine questions.

I think the main thing is maintaining curiosity in the other person. Most people I met through hostels but occasionally I met people elsewhere. For example...

1/2
>>
>>1291915
... at the airport I asked a stranger whether he wanted the other half of my sandwich because I wasn't a fan of cheese, he asked why I ordered it, I told him I liked melted cheese but not normal cheese, he asked where I was from, I asked him where he was from, moved on to a conversation about Brexit, we talked about what each other does for a living, he was a broadway actor, I asked if he could do a performance for me, he did, I told him I was going to vegas, he told me he uses numerology for gambling, then he had to catch a plane.

Another time, a beautiful woman sitting next to me said "its good to keep hydrated" when I ordered two glasses of water on the plane. I said yeah, I usually need to keep a bottle of water on me at all times, conversation died down a bit. I then said, that I liked the way she dressed and asked if she didnt mind telling me what she does for a living. She did, (she owned a hair salon in beverly hills), I told her I had just been there and my impression of it, she asked me what I was doing there, i told her, she asked about what I did for a living, I explained, I asked her why she was heading to vegas, she told me she was going to a party to celebrate her friend's newly built house, I asked what kind of people were going, I said Ive always wanted to meet fashion people because I know so little about it, she said she'd ask if I could come, i said thanks but I had plans, we spoke about something in the news etc.

2/2
>>
>>1291903
show me a more inspiring online forum about travel, and i'm out already.

also stop assuming things, it might save you embarrassment in the future.
>>
File: 1497413979430.jpg (94KB, 735x473px) Image search: [Google]
1497413979430.jpg
94KB, 735x473px
>>1291490
>I know that super model Barbara Palvin.
>>
>>1291490
this is big fat faggot lie you dumb nigger
>>
>>1291892
>As a bonus, eventually you'll run into people starting conversations with you, just be sure to be receptive.
I agree, if you look like someone who's having a blast doing whatever you are doing that radiates to others.

>but nobody talks about the awkward attempts to start conversation that fails.
Yeah, true but if people are seriously looking for 100% success rate or even 50% then they should re evaluate. You can literally meet 10 assholes in a row and there's nothing you can do about it.
No one says these things but most people can assume they happen.
For meeting people I use a 1:10 ratio, that way I'm never disappointed. 9 times it's awkward, uncomfortable, weird, boring, mundane but 1 time it could be a great time or even unforgettable.

>>1291915
>>1291916
I liked your blog, I relate to it. I can even say that the old me would've just said, "oh yeah...haha" if someone made that hydrate comment at me. Completely couldn't capitalize on opportunities right in front of me and since I've run through a lot of times where I had missed opportunities because I was retarded or afraid.

My last trip I felt like a different person, I'm not sure if it was because I was traveling or what but for two weeks I could talk to anyone.
>>
>>1291424
Go to /pol. The board has many topics that are great conversation starters when trying to meet new people.
>>
young travelers are annoying as fuck I dont know why you would want to hang out with any of these cunts
>>
>>1291790
I sometimes keep in touch with people I meet. From all my travels there are like half a dozen of people I still speak to regularly. I have in the past met up with people I met on previous travels in a new location
>>1291820
Meet people at bars, go on pubcrawls, hang out at popular tourist places, whatever
>>
>>1292152
It's just hard to keep a conversation going for x number of months or years for me over social media/messaging. I try to check in with people form time to time.

It sucks because I know we would have fun again in person but through messaging it's so dull.

>>1292141
Sounds like that annoying traveler might be you
>>
if I see a cute grill or more than one girl at a tourist attraction, like a museum, art gallery or park what should i say?
>>
>>1292252
Walk up to her, lick your fingers and touch her clothes. Then ask, "can I get you out of those wet clothes?"
>>
>>1291617
>Do you like bars? Clubs? Cafes? Museums? Parks?
Not him, but no.
I like none of those places. I don't even know why I bought those plain tickets, now I regret wasting my vacation abroad in a beautiful country when I could have been at home playing E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy for 2 weeks.
>>
>>1292265
Have you been traveling before?
>>
>>1292250
>It's just hard to keep a conversation going for x number of months or years for me over social media/messaging. I try to check in with people form time to time.

Yeah exactly, you don't have to speak with them every day. just every now and then is fine.
>>
>>1292270
A few times with friends, for short periods of time. A week in Italy here, a week in Madrid there, I was alone in Cyprus for a few days once. I'm too old for hostels, and my friends all started settling down so I have to go alone if I want a vacation out of the country, so I guess I'm doing this, I don't know. My solitary instincts tell me to stay at home and be alone, my busy-adult instincts tell me to spend money on a vacation so I can tell interesting stories to colleagues when I return and feel like I didn't do something I could have done at home anyway.

Maybe I'll find my death there somehow and my last thought would be, "I COULD HAVE BEEN PLAYING E.Y.E. DIVINE CYBERMANCY!!!"
>>
>>1292273
Thanks for the reminder. Finally sent a text to some old old old friends so I see them at least one more time before I leave.
>>
>>1292265
very specific hangup

if srs, man just go amd do it. you only live once

i learned to be social and even thrive in social environments more than 99% of people. i still generally dont like it

travel ia still worth it. go out and see some things. you wont miss a couple thousand bucks. you might pick up a new hobby or language
>>
>>1292252
bump
>>
File: 1503438103851.jpg (58KB, 400x401px) Image search: [Google]
1503438103851.jpg
58KB, 400x401px
>>1291424
Stop asking stupid questions, sage
>>
>>1292321
Universal
>Hi, I think you're really cute, my name is anon. What is your name?
Or
>What do you think of 'x' attraction?
>>
>>1292250
fuck you cunt
>>
OP is a fag
>>
>>1291424
>>1291469
They've said this a million times but be yourself, and go to places where you think are fun and interesting. If you're not miserably autistic you'll find people

I'm the kinda sketchy nigga who people get sketched out once they get to know me I'm really good at making friends for the night though
>>
>>1292434
>and go to places where you think are fun and interesting
i dont know how to have fun. i spend most of my free time on 4chan

do you mean going to bars? what other places can i go to?
>>
>>1292667
>i dont know how to have fun.
Same. I go to places people say are fun and I'm just bored and apathetic.
>>
>>1292362
I'm at the bean in Chicago, lots of grills here, most with another guy or in a group

>tfw too afraid to ask one who is by herself what they think of it
>>
i am not super social and i don't always meet people at hostels but it happens often enough. if you're staying in a dorm or hanging around in the common area eventually someone is gonna ask where you're from and what you're doing and from that you can start talking.
i never made any lasting friendships while travelling but it was always fun meeting new people and hanging out with them for a while.

>should I go to bars (and clubs) alone? talk to random people at tourist sites?
i wouldn't recommend doing either of those things
>>
I usually just go to a local bar and get fugg'd and start talking to people.
>>
>>1292739
If you are in Chicago, you will find girls by themselves.

It sounds fucking stupid but approaching is the hardest part of it all, you figure it out what to spit out once you're face to face. So what I used to do was ask people what time it was to get used to the idea of just going up to people. Don't ask where to find a store because you will have to pretend to go in that direction afterwards and it will feel silly.

Then try complimenting people, anyone really
>Nice hat
>I like that jacket
>I like how you do your hair (girls only)

It's like lifting 5 or 10lbs weights at the gym, sometimes people see through it but it helps you get used to it.

Or grab your balls and talk to one. Coffee shops are hard because people in general go there to work these days and can be quite stand offish.

If you really want to improve, keep a tally of how many people you intentionally start conversations with so you can see progress. A fun thing to do is write that persons name down if you get and what you talked about with them. Years down the road I can still remember the people I met if I do this.
>>
I've had pretty great conversations just walking up and talking to people or having people walk up and talk to me. It isn't hard or awkward if you don't make it hard and awkward. You just have to read the situation and their mood to see if they might be up for a chat. Having a friendly attitude helps a lot too.
>>
>>1292793
i dont like asking for the time because i have a phone on me

who should i compliment, should i stop people on the street?

just went to the art institute in Chicago. so many qt grills, but didn't say anything. i would asked their opinion on the art she was looking at, but I know nothing about talking about art, afraid they'd ask for my opinion
>>
>>1292875
>ask for my opinion
How can you not have an opinion about art? You don't have to be an artist or a critic to appreciate it on an emotional level. Either you like it, you don't, or it doesn't do anything for you. If you like or dislike it, just think and find out why you have that reaction. "I don't know" is also acceptable for a start. If it bores you, that's also fine, but if you want a conversation going it would be better to fake it if you really are that bored of the museum.
>>
>>1292875
>i dont like asking for the time because i have a phone on me
Pretend it's dead, the point is just talking to people.

>who should i compliment, should i stop people on the street?
Anyone passing by or at a crosswalk. Clothes work great and hair for girls.

>i would asked their opinion on the art she was looking at, but I know nothing about talking about art, afraid they'd ask for my opinion

"What do you think of this painting"?
"*opinion*, you?"
"I don't know much about art I was just wanted to talk to you"
She might smile and keep talking, or not, or whatever. That's it.
>>
>>1292880
I would say this instead:

"What do you think of this painting"?
"*opinion*, you?"
>"I don't know much about art but I'm trying to learn more about it"
She might smile and keep talking, or not, or whatever. That's it.

Then continue the conversation with her. You might end up learning something and if she likes you after, then you can start the flirting after you invite her for a coffee after the museum.
>>
>>1292875
>>1292880
I get compliments from dudes about my OG colorway Jordans. Don't let yourself be so afraid of the gay you close yourself off to male friendship.
>>
>>1292890
Difference between yours and mine is mine shows interest in her right away. Both are fine though.

>>1292894
I disagree, while male bonding is fine you don't want to give people the wrong impression or make them uncomfortable in >current year
>>
OP here, I'm at this Stranger Things bar in Chicago

it's packed, I'm the only one by myself, and I'm on 4chan

help
>>
>>1291424
>arrive at hostel
>walk into room
>greet anyone you meet that doesn't look like a total bum
>"what's up dude how's it going?"
>small chit chat to see if they're friendly
>then ask them how long they've been there, what they think of the location so far, and what else they're going to see
>áfter that proceed to say, "oh cool man hey you know what since I just got here and don't know my way around you care if I join you to see X? Should be a good way to get the trip started"
>they'll almost always invite you to come along

If that doesn't work, act like you're putting some food in the common kitchen or washing out a travel bottle and talk to anybody you see in there. If THAT doesn't work try the common room, which is basically a "help me I'm desperate" room. Don't sit there any wait for people to come to you though. Now if that doesn't work, just stay home.
>>
>>1292911
I like to sit at the counter, are you at a table?
>>
>>1292911
been here for 20 minutes
bought two overpriced drinks
didn't speak to anyone
leaving now

feels bad man
>>
>>1292920
no seats at the bar.. there are communal tables, and a couch

already drank both of my drinks, don't want to spend another $10+tip another
>>
>>1292921
>>1292923
Why did you want go to the bar?
>>
>>1292927
i like the show.. and i want to be able to talk to people.. and supposedly bars are good places for this

still at the bar, order the cheapest drink and just holding it
>>
>>1292930
>and i want to be able to talk to people
Good answer, you have the desire to meet people.

You are only a
>How's it going
or
>What do you think of the show
From meeting someone.

>didn't speak to anyone feels bad man
Been there too many times, keep trying!
>>
>>1292930
all I'm doing now is sitting next to a group and try to overhear what they talk about to improve social skills
>>
>>1292933
i can't interrupt a group (2 or more)of people with how's it going, and somehow lead a conversation
>>
>>1292936
I'm headed out for the day, you can ask about the show. I believe in you OP
>>
>>1292937
thanks, but i couldn't do it

there was one older overweight lady I was thinking of talking to. she was the only one alone.. but i couldn't even do that

;_;
>>
>>1292938
Head up OP, I'm glad you got out to try, that's important. If you keep trying you'll see success eventually. It took me a long time to leave my comfort zone at all.

Good luck OP.
>>
>>1291424
I find it super easy desu. I always stay at a hostel unless I'm dead tired and want to splurge in a hotel room. Go down to the main lobby at 6pm, crack a beer, and say "whose playing?" to the dudes watching football on tv or "whats her name again?" to the girls watching The View or whatever on tv. Basically find SOME piece of common ground between you and the person and then after that its all just learning how to let it roll... for example if the girls laughed and said something like "uhg you mean you dont knoooow??" then just play it off like "soooorry Im not a religious <tv show> watcher", but keep it sarcastic and fun and have a good pop culture knowledge to work with.
>>
I'm pretty sure my tactic for socializing when I take my next trip is going to involve being drunk very early in the day

Otherwise I'm one of those guys with resting bitchface/pissed-off-face despite having an otherwise great time

So my recommendation to people is booze
>>
>>1293055
I'm the same way except 2 beers puts me sleep so I can only realistically drink in the evening.

>>1293045
>soooorry Im not a religious <tv show> watcher
Playful exaggeration is actually a really good idea.
>>
>>1291424
when alone at a club or bar just take a reasonable amount of mdma. Meeting new people is so fucking easy that way. Not if you are too obviously high of course.
>>
>tfw passing so many qts on the street
>they all avoid eye contact with me
>>
>>1293204
>spent a couple of hours walking along the magnificent mile (street with shops) and looking at clothes
>didn't speak to a single person
>most girls would look away in disgust if we made eye contact
feels bad man
>>
>>1293204
>>1293317
Lock eyes, see if you can hold.

It's really good eye contact practice and a great way to gain confidence. You can feel a connection when you both go right to the last second.

They think your creeping and disgusting until your confident anyway so who cares what they think.
>>
>>1293527
>Lock eyes, see if you can hold.
most girls don't even look in my direction, or if they do they quickly look away

i try to lock eyes actually, maybe 1 in 100 girls do though

i try to smile too, but no one ever smiles back
>>
>>1293533
Don't be silly it's an automatic reaction to see things coming into your field of view. If you practice it enough you will notice that even hot girls by default can't avoid the eyes of every guy on the street.

>i try to smile too, but no one ever smiles back
Most people don't, that's fine. They are not used to anyone smiling ever, a very select number of people will.
>>
>>1293541
>even hot girls by default can't avoid the eyes of every guy on the street.
can't avoid? they're avoiding mine, not much else i can do about it tbqh
>>
>>1292257
ROLLING

Sorry, I forgot where I was
>>
>>1293756
I meant that in a even if they wanted to on a crowded street or mall it's nearly impossible.

Stand up tall, smile and keep your head up instead of down. Exhibits confidence and people will notice.
>>
>>1291529
>>>1291504
>>Bring fun
>how do you bring fun?
You buy drugs and insert them in your pockets
>>
>at hostel
>decide I don't want to socialize with these people
>do my own thing
>only at the hostel at night for sleep
>others ask me where I'm off to all day
>tell them I go out hiking in bla bla
>cute grill asks if she can come along tomorrow
>say yeah thinking wow really
>some 18 year old assclown tries to dissuade her in the morning and talks about how great the beach is gonna be
She ended up going with me and we hung out for the rest of my stay physically, but god damn do I hate hostel environments, it's like half of them are just trying to get laid
>>
>all these people recommend hostel
Do you guys hate privacy?

>>1291424
I'm the same way OP.
>tfw you spent 3 months in Tokyo and did not make a single connection.
I'm pretty sure I spent 2/3 of the trip in my room playing games.
Making friends is hard for us people with shit social skills
>>
>>1294963

I'm pretty much the same. I'm currently living in Ireland, English is not my mother language and their accent actually sucks too much.

But one thing that I realized that helps A LOT with all the shyness is being tipsy. I don't usually drink, but 2 shots of vodka will make you MUCH more confident and willing to engage a conversation with a stranger. In my case, it also helps in my fluency.
>>
>>1294963
>I'm pretty sure I spent 2/3 of the trip in my room playing games.
>Making friends is hard for us people with shit social skills
Would you expect to get better at your shitty vidya if you spent 2/3s of your playtime with the device off? How do you expect to get better at something if you never do it?

Your bellyaching about 'privacy' in hostels is laughable, really - born out of unwarranted self-importance. You seem to think that anyone else on earth actually pays attention to you. Why would they? You've given them no reason to.

You could go to a hostel with your current attitude and find it to be a blissfully private experience, even in a 12+ person dorm. If you're a man, nobody will spare a thought for you unless you make them. Fail to interact and you will fade into the background entirely.

Interacting with people, especially at a hostel, is literally one of the easiest things in the world:
1. Stand up relatively straight (shoulders back, chest out), look forward (not down), adopt a relaxed gait (walk as if nobody is waiting on you), and adopt a lazy gaze (ie, look around the room like a cat does, not like a squirrel does).
2. Walk into a room that has people in it.
3. Within three seconds of entry, walk up to a random or interesting-looking person (preferably from the front), making eye contact with them anywhere between 1/2-1/4 room distance.
4. Stop 4/5 of arm's length from them and put your hand out for a short, firm handshake. Stop further away if they're a rural person.
5. Say "Hello! I don't know you, my name's X" (where X is your name) simultaneously with (4).
6. You are now in a conversation. All conversations only have three topics - 1) Who we are, 2) What we're doing, 3) What we think about things. Note that none of those topics are "Vidya that I've wasted my life on" or "Japanese pedophile cartoons".

There are a bunch of bonus tips I could give but I've successfully fucked and socialised my way through life with just the above.
>>
>>1291489
People travelling in a group are generally not interested in meeting other people. Thats not just the males. If you want people to hang with, you find other people on their own. Thus, hostels are your best bet
>>
>>1291424
Asked one girl what she was watching GOT on. Later a guy in her group struck up conversation with me, we all went out to get drinks. Karl the Norwegian was my favorite person I met :'(

An Israeli girl who was with us turned out to be going to the same place as me next. Ended up traveling with her for a few days (unfortunately she was kind of annoying and not very attractive)

One dude bought the whole dorm (5) a round and we got to talking there

This German girl asked if I wanted to eat a pizza with some Brazilian girl she met while I was brushing my teeth. Fact that I was shirtless mightve helped lol. Ended up in the Brazilians private room with them later, unfortunately no threesome because >Tfw not Chad

Random fellow Americans talking to me on buses too. Those were generally older. Met a really cool black new Yorker who has been to like 120 countries, and an Australian from the same small town as me. Also some weirdos who can't take a hint...

Others which I don't even fuckin remember

Also had a group of 5 inbred British chavs in a 6 person dorm who barely said a word to me... Sometimes you'll just get unlucky

But it will be easy. Just don't be a sperg.be open. If someone says "hey" to you, don't just say "hey" back say "hey man how's it going". That will open a world of conversational possibility.

Spoke to a shit ton of people and not once did I say the first word to them. You'll get the opportunities, you just need to capitalize on them
>>
>>1294963
>privacy
What the fuck do you need that for. You jacking off every night? Do it in the shower.
>>
>>1296373
>Also had a group of 5 inbred British chavs in a 6 person dorm who barely said a word to me... Sometimes you'll just get unlucky
I had the same situation except they talked to me. You were the lucky one, anon.

>>1296376
>You jacking off every night? Do it in the shower.
You're fucking travelling, dude. Do it on a woman.
Thread posts: 108
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.