[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

when you travel do you take selfies /trv/? or do you try to stay

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7

when you travel do you take selfies /trv/? or do you try to stay out of the picture?

are selfies more "normie" and "fun"?
>>
I hate taking photos in general, and am not a selfie person at all.
>>
>>1291373
I take a lot of photos as I'm a /p/fag but usually only take 1 selfie and ask people not to take photos of me.
>>
I usually just ask someone to take a picture of me with my camera. Selfies usually turn out terrible in all of my experiences
>>
>>1291373

Depends.

Sometimes I'll take selfies if I'm traveling by myself and don't feel like asking anyone to click a picture.

Most of the time I'll just ask someone else and offer to return the favor.

Most of my seflies don't turn out too well. I used to not mind as much when I was younger, but I'd prefer having photographic keepsakes of me along with others.

In my relationships, I'll take lots of selfies with my girlfriend - it's fun enough to do, with the focus being on where you as a couple.
>>
>>1291409
If you must have a picture of yourself, asking others to do so is indeed the only sane thing to do.

Personally I hardly ever bother with having my own picture taken. I don't see why I need to. I can't believe most people I see taking selfies all the goddamn time. How narcissistic can you be?
>>
File: pisatower11.jpg (71KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
pisatower11.jpg
71KB, 800x600px
This topic has been done to death. No I don't take photos when I travel and I look upon those that do with contempt. Why bother taking yet another photo of a famous monument that has been photographed millions of times before, from every angle possible and by more talented photographers? You may as well just copy and paste from google images.

Secondly focusing on getting the perfect photo distracts from the scene/monument itself. In the Sistine Chapel I remember tour groups of Chinese pointing towards the ceiling at the Creation of Adam, taking a photo (even though photography is strictly forbidden) and then moving on to the next item on their list. No appreciation for the work of art whatsoever. Some people shouldn't be allowed travel.
>>
>>1291432
>not having fun with the leaning tower pic

>implying selfies are different from any photograph from "talented photographers" because you are in them

>implying you can't appreciate your surroundings while also taking photographs
>>
>>1291433
You must be a middle aged man who doesn't get out much or else a simpleton if pretending to push over a tower is your idea of fun.
>>
>>1291373
I usually travel alone and I hate to ask people to make a photo of me.

I am using my mobile for selfies to have a photo with noteable things, every single pic I took every other pic usually with my camera.
>>
File: dfasd.jpg (752KB, 3072x1728px) Image search: [Google]
dfasd.jpg
752KB, 3072x1728px
I did one with guys from the hostel i spent a lot of time with, the other 1000 pics I took on this trip were architecture and nature. Pic related.
>>
>>1291452
why do you all wear black masks
>>
>>1291465
they're big guys
>>
>>1291432
>photo elitist
>no fun allowed
>why bother if someone does it better
>if people don't travel my way they shouldn't travel at all

You seem like the life of the party anon.
>>
>>1291373
When I'm traveling and sightseeing the last thing that matters to me is taking pics of myself. I'm traveling for the sights not myself. Really annoying to watch everyone take 20 selfies with different facial expressions and have to wait 10 minutes per person as they stand on the iconic rock of some lighthouse because they have to take several photos of themselves from every angle and expression, and that's only after taking 5 minutes to fix their hair and hats.
>>
>ITT: 4chan autists too socially retarded to into social media and have to pretend to be above it to feel better

Having a picture record of yourself in your travels is cool. It tells a story especially for later generations. Most of my pictures hiking Fuji were scenery but I put myself in the pictures a couple time to show the progress. How much clothing I was adding, how tired I was looking how pale I got from the cold. It's interesting seeing a bright faced shorts wearing adventurer in the first pic and someone about to fall off the mountain in exhaustion at the top.
>>
>>1291373
I take photos of the landscape, but not myself. Hey, it's what society is like now - as much as I hate people who take forever to take a damn selfie, it's just what people do now.
>>
The "selfie" (as gay as that made up word is) is a symptom of a pathetic and sickly narcissistic society that values excessive individualism and consumerism over anything else...knowledge, science, philosophy, art.. all a sideshow to putting gay dog faces on pictures for strangers to look at and feel like they're missing out. People that are so self absorbed that they care more about getting their ugly face in the picture with some work of art shouldn't have any material wealth.
>>
>>1292979
t. Once commented on a girl's photo saying she looked pretty and then the slut got with Chad the next day
>>
>>1292981
whatever projection you need to justify your narcissism
>>
>>1292985
Whatever inflated sense of superiority keeps you from killing yourself
>>
>>1292989
hahahahaha you're trying so hard to justify it hahahahah, keep going, what else am I? So far I'm a suicidal egoist. hahahah tell me what do you do with all the pictures of your own face? jack off to them when you get home?
>>
>>1293000
>people who take pictures of themselves are stupid and self absorbed
>w-what don't insult me though
>>
>>1293006
the difference is your not insulting him ur making up a character then attributing that to him and attacking that

this is an 18+ board btw
>>
>>1293022
>Him
>3rd person

How cute.
>>
>>1292979
Taking pictures of yourself has existed since before cameras existed. And once they were mass produced to the public you think nobody thought to take pictures of themselves? Camera selfies have been around since the l late 1800s. This fuck Instagram and this vapid 21st century society shtick as if it's something new is cringe.

Anyway, I think you have to find a balance of taking pictures and enjoying something in the moment. If it's something fleeting it might be better to see it in its instance than through a lense or screen.
>>
>>1293029
Such travel pictures I have of myself are largely products of social interaction. That is, somebody will think I actually want such a picture, and will offer to take one for me (with my camera). If I think the person to be trustworthy, this works as a conversation starter.
>>
File: IMG_1907.png (153KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1907.png
153KB, 640x1136px
>>1293025
ohh man that's some summertime cringe right there
>>
>>1293041
That's some summertime shopping.
>>
>>1292973
Kys normalfag. Go back to Facebook
>>
>>1293041
lol savage
>>
a week ago I was at a beautiful beach and a couple of girls arrived and walked up to this cliff overlooking the sea and took turns standing on it facing the sea bent there legs stuck there arse out and hands over the head and began taking pics of that for over 40 mins at least then when they finished they left it was the most pathetic thing id ever seen
>>
Nothing triggers me more than people who enjoy themselves the wrong way
>>
>>1293095
shut up cunt
>>
>>1293094
More pathetic than you watching them for 40 minutes?
>>
>>1291373
yes, whats the point of taking pictures if you're not in them? you can get pictures of monuments on the internet
>>
>>1293113
you're reaching so hard
>>
>>1293116
What's the point of being in the picture? To prove that you were there? Wtf
>>
Well, I take pictures of myself, just to say that I've been to some place; it's nice to have some photographic evidence.

I will admit that I have a selfie stick, but that's because I generally travel alone. Also, selfie sticks are pretty good for getting a little extra reach, whether that be taking pictures of birds in trees, taking pictures over a fence/barricade, or when you've exceeded your zoom limit but you need just a little bit more.
>>
>>1293182
What's the point of pictures? You already know what monuments look like, and you can just look in the mirror if you forget what you look like.
>>
File: téléchargement (3).jpg (6KB, 199x141px) Image search: [Google]
téléchargement (3).jpg
6KB, 199x141px
>>1293198
Let me guess, you own a selfie stick you autist?
>I'm g-gonna show those girls on tinder I'm a r-real traveller

Gtfo faggot
>>
>>1293237
>grumposting
Somebody ran out of milk for their cereal today.
>>
>>1293238
Dumb millenial
>>
>>1291373
Both. I take one without then I pose for another, the family expects selfies because they already have a pic of the place alone, they want to see YOU there.

Always use a selfie-stick, certain locals can't be trusted.
>>
>>1293237
>makes up a scenario
>calls them out on it
>puts words in their mouth, adding a stutter for effect
>has the nerve to call other people "autist"
>>
>>1293113
they were directly in my field of vision and spoiling it you cunt
>>
>>1293195
i dont know how anyone can walk around with a selfie stick taking a picture of themselves you obviously have no shame
>>
>>1293275
I look at the bright side. I'm just a traveler with a useful photography tool. At least I'm not inserting liquor bottles into my anus, or begging people for money/drugs/sex.
>>
File: uh oh.jpg (66KB, 574x574px) Image search: [Google]
uh oh.jpg
66KB, 574x574px
>>1291435
>You must be a middle aged man who doesn't get out much or else a simpleton if pretending to push over a tower is your idea of fun.
I assure you that EVERY single person likes looking at pictures with themselves or family in the pictures, and not just vistas you can see in any guidebook. If you want to reminisce about your vacation a few years or decades from now, you'll enjoy the fashion of the era, that stupid hat you bought when you lost your other one, those boots that are still actually in good shape, and see emotions on your faces. You might enjoy seeing the food you ordered and then later craved in a mad way or learned to make...and it all started there. Maybe you just want the restaurant name off the menu so you can remember the name for your next trip to the same place.
Silly pictures, like posing in front of statues, pretend death photos, your facial expressions in reactions to other tourists or the sights at hand, or just you in front of famous sights are what your friends what to see too, or can just be a surprise to be found in the middle of a slideshow later.
And, when you take videos, narrate them as you go, and you'll record your thoughts and emotions, or just your observations for posterity. Nothing is more boring than just panning around. Whisper if it makes you self-conscious to be talking outloud around others.

Of course there will always be stupid people who don't appreciate art, who are more hungry than curious, who are exhausted, esp on bus tours, so just nationality alone isn't fair in judgement. There's a reason Chinese people are in the Vatican in the first place, versus every other idea they could have had for their vacation. Sometimes people on cruises and endless tours are kicking the bucket soon, always bear that in mind. Cruise ships toss a couple into the freezer every trip.
>>
File: cs.jpg (130KB, 735x1200px) Image search: [Google]
cs.jpg
130KB, 735x1200px
I'm ugly already and I look fucking hideous when taking selfies.
I usually just ask someone near to take me a photo.
>>
>>1291432
>In the Sistine Chapel I remember tour groups of Chinese pointing towards the ceiling at the Creation of Adam, taking a photo (even though photography is strictly forbidden) and then moving on to the next item on their list
This is what like 90% of people do when going to famous museums, like why even bother
>>
>>1293300
I like to believe that "no photographs" signs are misunderstood.

I don't think picture-taking itself is what's discouraged, but rather obnoxious photographers. I mean, flashing lights, clicking sounds, and people standing in the way can make for a disappointing experience.

I think museums and other businesses have lightened up a bit because technology changes. Most tourist photos are taken with smartphones and P&S cameras. They don't always make sounds, and it's very easy to focus your lens; you're generally done in no time, therefore you're less of a bother to other guests.
>>
>>1293313
I think the selfie stick thing is because they are weapons and can knock into art or people, and you're backwards at the time. Videos used to show the lasers and so a security risk for those scoping the joint out to study it later.

I'm sure the biggest reason is like you said to make it a good experience for all.
>>
>>1291373
I will maybe take one or two during trip -- I travel with family, or sometimes on business, and in either case I am generally the one taking pictures, it doesn't hurt to have pne with me in it.
>>
>>1291427

Yeah, it bothers me that people like what I don't like as well.
>>
>>1292979
All words are made up, Anon.
>>
>>1293313
I respect No Pictures signs, with one exception: I always try and et a picture of the No Pictures sign.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.