[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm going to study abroad in Budapest for the next 5 months

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 16

File: budacastle.jpg (2MB, 4500x3000px) Image search: [Google]
budacastle.jpg
2MB, 4500x3000px
I'm going to study abroad in Budapest for the next 5 months and I'm looking for some tips on living there, do's and dont's.

Since I'll be there a considerate amount of time I'll probably do it all, but what would you recommend? What can't I miss? No only in Budapest, but in Hungary in general. What are some other cities/places I should visit?

Also, I'll have about 6 hours to kill when I arrive before I can go to my flat (3am-9am). What should I do?
>>
File: Tihany-Belsoto.jpg (296KB, 800x468px) Image search: [Google]
Tihany-Belsoto.jpg
296KB, 800x468px
>>1290844
where will you be staying OP? at what university will you be studying? also, where are you from?

as you haven't stated your interests, I'm just going to greentext you a couple of must-sees in Budapest so you can look them up and decide if you're interested

>Parliament
>the view from atop St. Stephen's Basilica
>the sunset from Gellért Hill
>Castle District
>Budapest History Museum in the Royal Palace
>Baths (from Turkish ones like Király to more modern constructions such as Gellért and Széchenyi)
>Roman ruins (Aquincum Museum, Nagyszombati street amphitheater, Thermae Maiores at Flórián square)
>Margaret Island (lots of medieval ruins, nice parks, free petting zoo, running course)
>Sziklatemplom (a whole monastery built into a cave inside Gellért Hill)
>Pál-völgyi and Szemlőhegyi caves
>Budapest Zoo
>the ruin bars of the Jewish District (Szimpla, Fogas Ház, Ellátó Kert)
>Vajdahunyad Castle in City Park
>Heroes' Square
>the gorgeous mansions on Andrássy avenue near Heroes' Square
>National Museum if you want to learn about the history of Hungary and the many people who lived here in the past couple of thousand years
>Várkert Bazár if you just want to chill/have a picnic in a nice environment in the middle of the city
>Deák Ferenc Square to mingle with locals and other foreigners at night (it's always packed with drinking youths)

as for other places to visit, I'd suggest checking out Szentendre (really close to Budapest), Esztergom, Eger, Pécs, Tihany and Veszprém near Lake Balaton, Győr, Sopron, Szeged and Vác

there also lots of castles and interesting natural sights in the country, so if you're interested I can list some of them
>>
>>1291263
Thanks! I'm gonna be staying near the Keleti station and studying at BME. I'm from Portugal.

I'll check out those places and see what catches my eye. Any other tips for living there? Should I beware of something?
>>
Some of the streets around Keleti are traditionally considered dangerous and so better not have your smartphone out at 3am around there. That being said, I only ever heard from friends how they were mugged there, I never ever had a problem, and I was going out at least twice a week around there.
Dürer has some chill gigs in the neighborhood, Városliget is good for jogging.
You want to check out the markets, too.

I'll probably post more stuff later.
>>
>>1290844
Hungary is a complete shithole like most of Europe. It's different in that Muslims haven't completely infested it yet but that is because the native population is a bunch of retards (hence the constant stream of crime, theft, scams, etc... that plague the area). Save your money and just go to the USA instead.

t. actual magyar
>>
>>1291332
OP already has the ticket, and is only going to study there for a short while, szóval leszophatnál, ha lenne faszom.
Like seriously, I can talk crap about Hungary for hours no problem, but this is so uncalled for in this situation. BME is also not completely useless, unlike much of the higher education there, and is close to the decent areas.

t. actual human
>>
>>1291357
>szóval leszophatnál, ha lenne faszom
ÓBUDA
B
U
D
A
>>
File: budapest.jpg (606KB, 2100x1400px) Image search: [Google]
budapest.jpg
606KB, 2100x1400px
>>1291318
what >>1291328 said
the area surrounding Keleti is famous as being the capital's most gypsy infested district, but if you keep your wits about you then you'll be alright

as for tips, I'd suggest buying a used bike (don't spend more than 20,000 HUF tho) and using that for discovering the city and getting around

for food, there are kebab shops, pizza buffets and chinese restaurants at almost every corner, but the number of great burgeries, soup bars, sandwich bistros and other street food venues is gaining up on them - check out https://welovebudapest.com/en/ and http://funzine.hu/en/ for recommendations on places to drink and eat at, and also for events like parties and concerts to look out for

yeah, and by the way, public transport is quite good in Budapest, the trams and the night service especially
>>
The neighbourhood around Keleti railway station is a quite shitty part of Budapest. Many gypsies and arabs. Choose an other location if possible. However if you keep some rules, it is not that dangerous because it is a busy district. What street you will live in? Because there are differences among streets as well there.

Definitely do not buy a bike because it can be stolen. Go for Bubi bike rental or use the public transport which is very widespread and cheap.

What to see in Bp: depends on your interests e.g. classical musical life is quite good. Lots a football clubs - quite shitty the players are but at least something you do not see e
>>
lsewhere. Pub life in downtown is quite famous. If you like baths and swimming, there are many places to go. Escape rooms are kind of specialities of Bp as well if you have bigger company. There are many caves as well if your are not claustrophobic.

Outside of Bp: northern shore of Balaton is rich in both history and natural beauties. Danube curve also worths a visit. There are many good places for kayak / canue as well.
>>
I'll be going to Budapest for the first time next week, but only for 4 days. Any like top 5 or top 10 places to see/things to do in that period?
Also, I will be arriving at the Keleti station at about 5pm. That shouldn't be a time to get mugged, right?
Any tips in general would help a lot.
>>
>>1291370
Az egyik otthonom...
>>
File: Screenshot_1.png (239KB, 1277x795px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.png
239KB, 1277x795px
>>1291328
>>1291375
>>1291444
Well, it's already a done deal, so I can't live elsewhere now... I was thinking of leaving my bags at the station's lockers and then walk through the city a bit until it's time to go to the flat. Should I just stay at the airport and wait? Maybe if I take an Uber instead of the bus? Pic related, it's where I'll live.
>>
Well, it is not a good area by Bp standards, but it is not Chicago, Paris or Malmö.
You may just leave your bag at the station locked and search for BKK info point in the underground. Buy a monthly ticket and take the red line to Kossuth square, that is a good place to start.
>>
>>1291471
>Any like top 5 or top 10 places to see/things to do in that period?
http://visitbudapest.travel/activities/budapest-top-10/

Are you really so retarded that you couldn't google that yourself?
>>
>>1291519
Get your veggie fix at Garay téri piac later.

I would just hop on a 973 if I were you, go to Ferenciek tere, and stroll along the Danube.
>>
File: 108984195.jpg (153KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
108984195.jpg
153KB, 1024x768px
>>1291519
my father grew up there
it's one of the safer neighbourhoods of the district (and you can easily get to anywhere in the city from there using public transport), tho you'll see lots of beggars and other gypsy scum in the streets
the crumbling buildings don't help the image either (however, there are some exceptions, like pic related, which is beautiful even in this state)

I think wasting your time at the airport is stupid when you have a whole new city to discover
leave your bags at the station and walk down to the Danube, then stroll along the embankment and get a breakfast at a café before going to your flat
>>
Also goin in a few days
Do people speak english there?
I'm polish and in poland rarely anyone does
>>
>>1291691
People working in the Polish tourist industry usually speak at least some English. It's the same in Budapest. You'll be fine.
>>
I'll be in budapest for 3 nights but have to catch a plane at 6am from the airport. Iv'e read the train doesnt run at say 3am from Keleti so is taxi or their uber equivalent the only way to get to the airport and are they reliable if you book say for 3:30am pickup?
>>
>>1291332
>>1291357

Not OP but I plan to go there soon. An envoy will be sent to Budapest to ascertain the truth on this matter.

t. Noble delegate from Earth
>>
>>1291992
nah, you can just take the 100E bus from Deák Ferenc tér and be there in half an hour
>>
>>1292071
OK will look into this, thanks mate
>>
File: liberty-bridge.jpg (2MB, 3321x4386px) Image search: [Google]
liberty-bridge.jpg
2MB, 3321x4386px
>>1290844
Do you have a throwaway email or telegram? I'm a local IT guy, have a lot of friends working or studying here in Budapest. Can show you around.

Photo as proof, shit weather Aug 13 from the Liberty Bridge.
>>
>>1291332
> szóval leszophatnál, ha lenne faszom

Gellért-hegy masterrace bejelentkezik. Budapest meetup valamikor? Csak sjw ne legyél.
>>
>>1290844
> but what would you recommend? What can't I miss?
If you can, and if you have some decent formal wear, try to book tickets to the Budapest Opera House (someone likely the exact name). The acoustics are incredible.
>>
>>1292781
>formal wear
What the fuck, is it 1742?
>>
File: 0048.png (335KB, 673x601px) Image search: [Google]
0048.png
335KB, 673x601px
>>1292781
>>1292792
>formal wear
LOL. You don't need formal wear at the opera unless it's some very special event at a major festival (which no one on 4chan would be able to afford tickets to anyway). You see men in suits because they've just come from work. As long as you're not in beachwear, you'll be fine.

In real life the opera isn't like Batman movies. The audience don't wear tuxedos and no one gets shot.
>>
>>1290844
>Budapest

I will never understand this meme, why is it so popular among burgers. I am living here for 26 years and I am gathering enough money to get the fuck out from here.
>>
>>1292820
For me it's the women. Endless supply of good to fuck women if you work in IT and live in the heart of the city. Buda side around Bartok is best I must say. Greener and cleaner, lots of Jewish girls and university students around. You got weed and wine, they are ready for anything. Pump for a couple weeks, then move on to the next. Move flats every couple years to keep the crazies away.
>>
>>1292733
Jesus Christ, what the fuck are those orange plastic thingies?
>>
>>1292735
>>1291332 is the american who likes to talk crap about hungary.
> szóval leszophatnál, ha lenne faszom
...én meg a szatyorban szoktam kikötni sokszor.
>>
>>1292809
I wore a suit to a ballet at the Mariinsky II and I was glad I did. I fit in perfectly.
>>
File: IMG_20170826_095609.jpg (6MB, 3456x4608px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170826_095609.jpg
6MB, 3456x4608px
>>1292856
Some temporary stuff from the water sports championships. I hope it gets removed soon.
> szatyor
Cozy, visited a couple times. Hetfo este hat? Zold ing, piros enamel mokus a mellzseben. Rovid barna haj, borotvalt. Valoszinuleg angol irodalommal.
>>
>>1293066
a szatyorba tényleg csak ilyen kamugép LARPer irodalmárbuzik járnak akik azt hiszik csak mert a hónuk alá csaptak három könyvet és beültek egy Bartók Béla úti kávézóba már rögtön átjárja majd őket Karinthy meg Kosztolányi szelleme, és eléjük terem valami szubmisszív, az entellektüellekért rajongó helyeske?
>>
File: IMG_20170826_102811.jpg (236KB, 1280x966px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170826_102811.jpg
236KB, 1280x966px
>>1293073
Nem tudom, en informatius vagyok aki szeret olvasni. Most epp Hogfather-t.

La Nube amúgy jobb hely, csak nrm esti muszakos.
>>
>>1293073
>>1293076
zsidók
>>
>>1293073
Also:

Elmondanám ezt néked, ha nem unnád...
>>1293077
Rajottek.
>>
File: IMG_20170725_223117.jpg (2MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170725_223117.jpg
2MB, 4608x3456px
>>1293073
>irodalmarbuzik
Megjegyeznem, nem mindenki log a telefonjan mintha az amyja csecse lenne. Thinkpaddel beulni meg elarulja a powerlevelt.
>>
File: wr.jpg (34KB, 550x309px) Image search: [Google]
wr.jpg
34KB, 550x309px
Once you made some friends, check out Red Ruin pub, that's where I frequently go with my pals. You can try a lot of cool craft beers, the staff is young and friendly, and it's mostly visited by foreigners and uni students, so you don't have to worry about troublemakers.
And if you have some free time, visit Gödöllő city and check out the castle there. It's very close to Budapest, you can get there by the suburb train.
>>
>>1293131
Can verify, nice place. Looks a bit dangerous fro the outside, but that's just a guise.
>>
>>1292849
What places would you recommend? Is it best in the weekend or will a sunday evening work as well?
>>
>>1293224
Well first you have to have money. Work on that, first.
>>
>>1292849
please elaborate. I meet this criteria.
>>
>>1293418
I'm in Budapest for the weekend and kind of want to meet some students, but places like Szimpla don't really seem like the right place for that. Not looking to pound one for a couple of weeks, just hook up for a night. Or are Hungarian girls too prude for that?
>>
File: Invisible_Harmonica.jpg (51KB, 488x500px) Image search: [Google]
Invisible_Harmonica.jpg
51KB, 488x500px
>>1292888
fyi, can't make it on Monday. I'll be checking a cat for adoption (reorganized from sunday :S). Tuesday good?
>>
>>1293224
Go where you want, and look for women with similar taste. Don't visit places you don't like just because of pussy.
>>1293437
Go out with friends and get to know women. Say yes to every invite. Never initiate at first sight, just play cool, be a good sport. Get their contact, call and ask them out. Go from there.
>>1293464
>I'm in Budapest for the weekend
Enjoy the sights. Go for the fat and uglies, they are desperate and easy.
>>
>>1293662
Aww that's nice. Sorry, I also won't be able to make it.
Let me leave a throwaway address mikor hazaérek, vagy hagyj egyet, és akkor ott írok...
>>
>>1294063
[email protected]

Bonusz pont ha gugli nelkul is tudja mit jelent.
>>
File: you-only-had-to-understand.jpg (48KB, 600x484px) Image search: [Google]
you-only-had-to-understand.jpg
48KB, 600x484px
>>1294063
>>1294221
tfw no reply
>>
File: IMG_4232.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4232.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1290844
If you're interested in hiking and getting out of the city i would recommend going to Visegrad. Its about an hour or so north along the danube by bus. When you get arrive there is a scenic trail that leads up to the castle with a beautiful view of the danube. The bus ride is brutal though, bring some sort of entertainment with you.

Also you should visit szentendre. Train tickets are only around 150 HUF for students. Its a beautiful little artsy Mediterranean style town along the danube definitely worth a visit.

Pic related. Its the view from Visegrad castle
>>
File: IMG_3979 (1).jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3979 (1).jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>1295300
Pic of mine from szentendre
>>
>>1290844
>>1291471
>I'll be going to Budapest for the first time next week, but only for 4 days. Any like top 5 or top 10 places to see/things to do in that period?

There is a truly wonderful and remarkable annual wine festival at Buda Castle in the fall. It features the delicious wine growers who make the country's apricot wines. The cost is kind of above the price most locals can afford, so as a foreigner youll be rubbing elbows with buyers and some wealthy folk, but there is traditional food, traditional music and gorgeous breezes over the city view from the Castle.
Must. See.

http://www.aborfesztival.hu/en/home_1

Don't forget that also in Buda, the Hospital in the Rock can be enjoyed in the evenings before or after a meal so you can do something other than the Fisherman's Bastion. I forget the restaurant name across from the Hilton, but it has an old fashioned cimbalon right in front of the door (type of old harpsichord only from Hungary), and they do the live music thing during dinner service, with cimbalom. The best music is at Spinoza, but you need a reservation or forget it. Might not have enough time, so do that ASAP if you'll be going next week.

As far as living there though, I dunno, as a tourist I was pretty wary of taxis and petty crime. I kept hearing it existed but I used hotel vetted drivers, and kind of stayed off public transport and much walking alone. I did not see crime but I did see open drug use. Every local warned me of the crime and don't do that, etc. I found some of the people in the baths pretty unsavory, mostly they were tourists though. Creepy asians that would rub against you, like WTF with their cameras recording. Don't slum it, and should stay away from the buying drinks and women pickups.
>>
>>1295307
There will be a wine and pork festival in Etyek in the fall too. That one is affordable, you get more bang for your buck in my opinion.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.