[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Had a question about traveling in the Sahara. I'm a uni

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: slider-2.jpg (27KB, 948x458px) Image search: [Google]
slider-2.jpg
27KB, 948x458px
Had a question about traveling in the Sahara.

I'm a uni student, third year who has never ridden a motorcycle in my life. I've been entertaining the idea of getting my license here in the UK and then flying down to probably Algiers or possibly Morocco if theres an entrance to the Trans Saharan Highway there, and attempting to cross it on a cheap moto that I buy upon arrival.

I understand there are many risks just due to the nature of the Sahara, especially as I would be traveling in May most likely, but was wondering if it would be possible to mitigate most or all of them. (e.g. sandstorms, bike breaking down, not being able to carry enough petrol and running out etc).

Afterwards I would plan to bike down to Johannesburg and then catch a flight back to London, but this is the first hurdle for me and something I really don't have enough knowledge to answer.

Cheers
>>
File: SAM_2990.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_2990.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
Inb4 people start shitposting about how dangerous this is, because spouting half-assed /pol/-tier knowledge about the world makes them feel important

Sounds like a good time. It would be fucking awesome to ride between Algiers and Tamenrasset, then down to Niger. Bureaucracy will be a bigger obstacle than the desert itself, and relying on a cheap motorbike is more likely to kill you than terrorists. You'll probably need a certified guide in order to be allowed into southern Algeria.
I can tell you there's no way in hell you'd be able to get to the central Sahara straight from Morocco. The border with Algeria has been closed for years, and you won't be getting into the Polisario-controlled region of the Western Sahara without a journalist or NGO pass.
If Algeria doesn't turn out to be an option, you could ride from Morocco down into Mauritania, then go into southern Mali, across Burkina, and into Niger. The Mauritania/Mali border would be the only area where you should watch your back, and navigating the police presence would certainly be a feat.

You should make a thread on Thorntree to get up-to-date advice from non-4channers. Also check out the website Horizons Unlimited.
>>
Sounds like a good time to me too...I can only offer you my insight as a motorbike rider for 19 years...
I have been to Morocco for 7 days 2 years ago and I can only chip in with my experience for this place alone. I have no idea about borders/customs/visa things I am sorry.
My only concern for your trip is your lack of experience in motorbike riding...
Riding a cheap motorbike for more than 3-4 hours straight can be more tiring than you think... And keep in mind there is a WORLD of difference between doing 300 miles without stop on a UK highway (its something you can do the first day you will get your licence and be safe yet exausted) and doing 100 miles on a Morrocan highway...
Fatigueness (Tiredness???) will build up REALLY quickly.... After 3 days of driving on shitty roads, you will see the miles you cover drop extremely... Your body and mind just refuse. I recommend being VERY FIT before you start.
To wrap this up , I would say start with smaller trips before you engage in such a long trip...
Enough of my dad talk..
As far as Morocco, the roads are shitty for sure but the plains are easy to drive... Just a straight road without stopping. They are narrow so even in the "highways" when 2 cars meet in opposite direction ussually one (the smaller) or both need to get one set of wheels off the road to fit.
Sounds crazy but it is like that. At least wherever I drove in Morocco...
With a motorbike it does not affect you much, just letting you know what I saw (that is why we come to these board).
Ride on boy!
>>
Algeria has closed all its borders except those with Tunisia. So you can't legally cross the Transsahara highway from/into Algeria.
>>
>>1287608
I think this is a bad idea, if you are going to do this, atleast buy a good vehicle that you have some experience with. The sahara is not a good place to take your first drive.

That being said, terrorists are not likely to be a big problem, nor are bandits.

The heat, however, is likely to at the very least give you a heat stroke. Fuel and water will br your biggest problem.

I would only recommend this of you speak french. English is not very well understoud in central and north africa.

In my humble opinion this sounds like a bad idea. Maybe drive from cairo to capetown instead, it is more safe and less hellishly hot. More too see on the way aswell!
>>
>>1287911

Yes, the fatigue is definitely something I am concerned about, though hopefully the trip through the desert would be the longest riding part of the trip -- not much reason to sit around and sightsee. Assuming I can manage to stay alert for that long. Also yes would probably go on my friends bike for some day trips first to get the hang of riding for hours on end.

I do have one particular question tho if you have lots of motorcycle experience: what are the chances of heat or sand affecting the performance of a motorcycle?

The biggest concern I have is probably the moto breaking down and being unable to fix it and not being within several miles of some sort of aid.

>>1287931

I do speak French actually, and have a French passport.

The Cairo to Capetown route does interest me to be honest -- especially considering it would be, as you said, more safe, less hot, plus the pyramids which I have yet to see. My only concern is really with Libya and Sudan as you really seem to have to pass through one of the two. Is either particularly safe to go through at the moment? Or am I misinformed?

Btw thanks all for your responses, all are extremely helpful.
>>
>>1287955
AFAIK the trouble is in South Sudan. Sudan itself has the /trv/ stamp of approval as a destination.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.