[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it worthwhile to go to SEA, or much of East Asia to be frank,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: Peanuts.jpg (981KB, 2294x1524px) Image search: [Google]
Peanuts.jpg
981KB, 2294x1524px
Is it worthwhile to go to SEA, or much of East Asia to be frank, if you have a peanut allergy?

It's not severe as it used to be, I could eat one and take some allergy medicine and be fine. But if there's going to be crude peanut oil in pretty much every single dish then it's going to be very difficult for me to eat the food there, which is one of the reasons I want to go most
>>
>>1281044
Yes. Don't eat peanuts while there, I guess.

Learn the word for "peanut" in the language(s) of the place(s) you plan to visit, or make some cards that explain your allergy in the local language.

And if you need an epipen or whatever, have that.

Sort of like going anywhere when you have a food allergy.
>>
>>1281044
Well, as far as I know people who are allergic to peanuts can still consume peanut oil as the allergens are not extracted along with the oil. Only those with very severe allergies can't consume it. Have you tried eating it?

Yeah it will be a big issue in a lot of east Asian countries. You'd just have to avoid foods that could potentially be fried in peanut oil. Eat a lot of soups as usually they don't have any peanuts. Go to supermarkets and buy your own food, the region will have a lot of western foods sold there so you can buy foods you know. And speaking of western foods, a lot of restaurants also serve western food there so you might be forced to eat some burgers.

I would stay away from street food unfortunately unless you know the dish the vendor is selling definitely doesn't have peanuts and there isn't a variation that doesn't. Also print out cards saying you absolutely can't have anything with peanuts and ask around in areas where you want to eat for them to recommend you a food that doesn't have any peanuts.
>>
>>1281044
Depends on how severe your allergy is. If it's not fatal, then bring some medication. If it's potentially fatal but not extremely so, bring an EpiPen or three, get someone to write out "help get me to the hospital I am having an allergic reaction to peanuts" on a sheet of paper, and have travel medical insurance.

If you're one of those "just a sniff will put me in a coma" types, then stay the fuck away. I can tell you from firsthand experience that they never pay any fucking attention to what you tell them about allergies, figuring "just another annoying foreigner", and then don't believe it when someone goes into anaphylactic shock.

Also, the medical care in all these countries is complete shit unless you are a "rich foreigner" who can pay for top-notch treatment in a "foreigner hospital" like Bumrungrad. And even then, it depends on whether the country and particular part of the country you're in even has one of those.

I'm living in Taiwan, and again from firsthand experience, ALL hospitals and doctors here are complete shit. I was paying full cash price for Adventist, and the incompetent quack there was ignoring what I kept telling him. It took my company sending someone with me to another hospital, where she shouted at the doctor until the doctor sighed and actually bothered to give me some medication, to get treated, and that was for simple high blood pressure. At Adventist, the incompetent fucktard kept telling me, "You're just anxious because you're in a hospital, go home and your blood pressure will be fine again." No, you stupid quack, I'm in your office because my arteries are about to blow out and my heart is thrashing around trying to pump too hard. One fucking pill a day is all it takes, and it costs seven cents, but no, can't spend that on a fucking foreigner even if he's paying cash for it and not eating up the National Health Insurance money.
>>
>>1281044
It is unlikely that they use peanut oil. Usually the oils that are used is the cheapest shit available.

But there's an easy solution to your problem. Do airbnb (IE flats) everywhere and do your own cooking.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.