[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys. I'll be going to England in a week and the plan

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: y4hg_mapSWengland800.jpg (418KB, 800x578px) Image search: [Google]
y4hg_mapSWengland800.jpg
418KB, 800x578px
Hey guys. I'll be going to England in a week and the plan is to travel around mostly by train (got a Britrail pass) in the south western part of the country. I'll be starting off in Salisbury and then head down into Devon and Cornwall. I've got approximately 18 days and on the way back to London I want to see Bath, the Cotswolds and Oxford.

What recommendations can you give me apart from that? I'm really into history and also want to see picturesque scenery and the "classic" English countryside. I wouldn't mind a good beach as well.
>>
>>1280817
Weston Super Mare is the best beach in Europe IMO

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2185942/This-terrifying-moment-boy-11-stuck-THIGHS-quicksand-200m-shore-parents-watched-horror.html
>>
>>1280832
Sorry, wrong story:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/10920488/Boy-trapped-in-mud-up-to-his-shoulders-as-he-plays-on-treacherous-beach.html
>>
>>1280817
I liked Exter and Truro. Go and visit Eden Project and the Lost Gardens of Heligan. Nicest gardens I've seen in my life.
>>
>>1280842
The Eden Project is on the list. Had not heard of the Lost Garden though. Thanks!
>>
>>1280832
>Spanish holidaymakers
>in Somerset
wtf are they doing
>>
File: IMG_1579.jpg (590KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1579.jpg
590KB, 1920x1440px
Some of my favorites are Haworth, Cheshire, and the area around Hadrians wall
Shrewsbury is also a nice market town
>pic related
>>
>http://www.travelstart.com.ng/blog/15-of-the-beautiful-english-countryside-destinations/
>>
I lived in Bath for a year and its a really nice little city. Very busy all year round with tourists. The city centre shops and restaurants are all pretty modern compared to your stereotypical small historical english cities/towns (has two uni's so big student population), but lots of old timey stuff too. You can defo see all there is to see there in a day (or stay a night). You can just walk around and see all there is to see very easy, and there are a couple bus tours that go through the city and the surrounding area. Bath is cool because all the buildings are really distinct compared to any other cities buildings because of the local stone used.

Salisbury is nice but i'm not so into it, its fine though. Cool Cathedral. Cheddar Gorge is really cool, definitley a full day activity if you decide to walk/do all of it.

Maybe not so much your thing, but Bristol is the only 'big' city in that area, depending what you're into. Probably my fav uk city, pretty arty and hip vibes.

you'll see tons of cool english countryside just travelling around so i wouldn't worry too much on accidentally missing that.

sorry for the ramble hope it helps!
>>
>>1280926
Thanks for the suggestions although for this trip I think they'll be a bit too far up north.

>>1280929
Great, thank you.

>>1280939
I don't have unlimited travel days with my train pass so I was thinking I might be able to do Bath or Bristol in one day. Which one would you suggest? I'm leaning towards staying the night in Bath since it seems to have a lot of what I enjoy and I'll be going with the gf and she'll probably want to take an actual bath as well.

Thanks!
>>
File: winchester.jpg (86KB, 900x593px) Image search: [Google]
winchester.jpg
86KB, 900x593px
If you start in Salisbury, you can get to Winchester.

It has a shit ton of history, going back thousands of years. The cathedral itself, William Walker, river side walks, King Arthur, Jane Austin, so much.

It's well worth a day visit, maybe two depending on your time limit and how much you want medieval history.
>>
>>1281190
We were thinking of Winchester at first but decided on Salisbury instead for logistical reasons. Might go there though if an opportunity arises.

What about Dartmoor national park? Any good? And where would be the best place to visit it from?
>>
Lots of nice little fishing villages in Cornwall. Not a lot to do with them but nice for a lazy walk and a few hours in a pub, eating fish and chips, sitting on the beach
if you have plenty of time. Padstow stands out for me because I grew up around there. but warning - theses small Cornish villages don't have a lot going on.

Eat at Nathan Outlaw's restaurant and get a pasty from the Chough Bakery. then walk over the hill to the beach if you feel like it and the weather's nice. You could get a small boat across to Rock, there's a nice little pier and a pub or two across there but nothing particularly interesting.

you might want to head right to the end of Cornwall and hit the more rugged, isolated parts. The Minack Theatre and Porthcurno beach are both good. It's nice to watch a play as the sun goes down.
St Ives has a nice stretch of beach and the town, whilst again not having a lot is worth a walk about. They have the Tate down there too.

St Michael's Mount is quite interesting.

Transport in Cornwall is pretty bad so plan ahead. It would suck to turn up somewhere after a long train journey and the place ends up being no good.
>>
My only advice is to avoid Taunton unless passing through. Its dogshit.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.