[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japanese visiting New York next week. Assuming I don't get

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

File: New-York-City.jpg (295KB, 1010x671px) Image search: [Google]
New-York-City.jpg
295KB, 1010x671px
Japanese visiting New York next week. Assuming I don't get BTFO by Kim's ICBMs are there any tips, suggestions and dos and don'ts /trv/ might have for me during my stay?
>>
NYC has the best comedy scene in the entire world if you like to laugh

>comedy cellar
>gotham
>the stand

go to one of those
>>
>>1280782
Read through this thread
>>1276815
I know the guy that made it hates the city, but he does give people info on where to go in the city, including some hidden gems
>>
>>1280782
Pan handlers seem to press asians hard because they have a reputation for handing over money rather than act confrontational. Tell those bums to fuck off.
>>
>>1280782
>DO
Use the subway as much as possible. They go almost every nice attraction. Except maybe some parts of Chinatown.

>DON'T
Expect to have a clear view for photographs. There's a lot of people everywhere, narrow sidewalk and not enough time for them to care if they're blocking your view.
>>
i will be traveling by the end of the year for 5 days, but i don't know if i should get the city pass or the NY pass which is way more expensive
>>
>>1280782
Be really fucking careful whenever walking into a restaurant and ordering a meal. There are dozens of places that will charge you more than 1000 USD for a simple meal.
>>
>>1280782
avoid blacks

I'm not even joking. they can punch you in the face and take your money and them cry racism and then you can get in trouble

or shoot you

just avoid them
>>
Be sure you have a small fortune available in your bank acct or credit card because it's the most expensive goddamn place in the world.

Some of the touristy things I think are worthwhile are the Rockefeller Tower roof and the WTC memorial. Use the subway to go everywhere.
>>
File: S__11616304.jpg (236KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
S__11616304.jpg
236KB, 750x1334px
>>1280782
Be prepared for it to be dirty. Every japanese I know loves New York for some reason, but always has trouble coping with the fact that its _fucking filthy_. i'm not the guy that started the AMA thread, but I agree with just about everything he says.

Be adventurous in New York, the best places you will find are the ones that are _not_ popular or packed with people (yet). The best places in new york are basically hidden little gems that nobody has discovered and ruined yet. Sort of like Tokyo, if you know the right places to go it makes all the difference. If you can find a local, it's for the best, or just find a friendly stranger and chat them up about bars. Hotel Concierges usually have arrangements with places that give them kickbacks, so unless you're at a 5-star, don't always trust what they suggest. A really nice or boutique hotel is less likely to send you to a tourist trap, especially if you ask for a 'quiet place' or 'something out of the way'.

Good Bars:
- The cocktail bar at the Iroquois hotel - good artistic cocktails, though not as impressive if you come from tokyo where every bar is like that
- The Dead Rabbit in FiDi - irish pub sort of thing
- The Gaslight / The Hotel Gansevoort Bar / Rooftop Bar at Gansevoort - Meat markets if you have money to throw around. Easy as asking a girl in the downstairs bar if she'd like to go to the rooftop. Literally. They're usually other tourists who don't even know there's a roof bar. Save the gaslight for last as it's definitely a shit show, but also a reliable spot for pickups or meeting semi-interesting or at least attractive people

POIs:
Webster Hall - Shitty club but an institution with many good acts visiting
MoMa - Self Explanatory
The Guggenheim - Often interesting exhibitions going on, if sometimes weird
All the Parks, battery park especially if you like outdoor drinking
Chinatown
Circle line boat tours around the island

Avoid:
The Bronx (Unless you get a cab to Little Italy)
Queens
Blacks
>>
>>1284182
t. basement autist
>>
>>1284221
Webster Hall is closing soon

I went there a couple times recently and I actually think it's fun, it's not the besr club ever but it's solid and I'm going to miss it
>>
>>1284221
You're an autist

It would not be NYC without black people. And The Bronx isn't that bad anymore. There isn't that much to do there, but there are some points of intetest.
>>
>>1283461
NYC native here and I have no fucking idea what you're talking about. Neither "city pass" nor "NY pass" are a thing.
>>
>>1284182
holy shit, what alt-right cult have you been listening to? I've lived in NY for 15 years and had literally no problem with black people. maybe don't wear your maga hat in the bronx, shithead.

>>1284169
you don't have to "be careful," you just have to read the damn menu before ordering. many places will even have the menu posted outside so you can check before entering
>>
>>1284332
Whenever I walk into a store or restaurant I always make sure to buy something. I never walk into somewhere just to eyeshop, much less have a seat at a restaurant, look at the prices of the menu and then leave. And I do this because I think it would be impolite to do so. I really can't stand those people who walk into places only to eyeshop or even worse, walk into a restaurant, take a seat, read the menu and then leave. It's just rude and inappropriate. I'm more than willing to get rid off just another $100USD bill if that's what it takes to not leave the place with empty hands. You don't have to spend much just buy something cheap but not extremely cheap either or they'll see through what you're doing. Also besides the politeness factor you also give others the impression of being a poorfag if you can't afford a two hundred dollars coffee.
>>
>>1284232
I'll be surprised if it really does, don't get me wrong, it's great for what it is, but objectively it is definitely a dive. No better place to see big name electronic acts tho imo.

>>1284234
Blacks is sort of used ironically here. But go to the bronx as an unaccompanied white person and walk from 242 to little italy if you'd like a truly enriching experience. My brother is an EMT in the Bronx and I'm there often, maybe its 'not so bad' in the sense that you'll just get heckled/jumped instead of stabbed like the good old days, but besides the zoo and little italy, I would say the only point of interest is watching roving gangs of wild niggers riding unregistered ATVs through all lanes of traffic and throwing bricks over their shoulders if the cops start to chase them.

In Manhattan it's the reverse, people from the bronx are on good behavior because they're as likely to get murdered by a cop for talking shit or acting out as a white person would be in bx.

Saying 'It would not be NYC without black people' is dumb as fuck though, your typical interaction with a black person is most likely to be when they're serving you your latte or trying to sell you a tourbus ticket. NYC's black populace is an underclass employed almost exclusively in the service industry doing dead-end jobs, to the point where I sort of feel bad going out for lunch anywhere because it smacks of modern day slave-trade.

>>1284346
Menus are posted outside and where the fuck are you from? In NYC 52893749283 people walk through a shop every day. The shopkeep doesn't give a fuck if you buy anything or not.
>>
>>1284461
I work in a black neighborhood, and I've been all over The Bronx and Brooklyn. And uptown Manhattan. I have yet to experience anything you describe.

242nd st in the 1 train is Kingsbridge, that neighborhood isn't bad at all. And Little Italy isn't Italian anymore, it's Albanians and Mexicans mostly.

And average black household income in Queens is actually good in many neighborhoods.
>>
242nd on the 1 train is Van Coortlandt park and it's by Manhattan College, which is filled with the spawn of rich upper middle class people from Westchester, Long Island, and New Jersey, and a bunch of lower middle class people from the five boroughs who study to be civil engineers and end up working for Con Edison or the DOT.
source: I went to Manhattan College and it was shit, it's only worth going to if you're an athlete.
Van Coortlandt park is the nicest park in NYC though, there's a whole wooded area north of the main parade grounds loop that is almost completely empty but still feels pretty damn safe.

Kingsbridge isn't bad though desu, it's just not white. Don't be a /pol/ retard who confuses Ethnic Neighborhoods with Bad Neighborhoods. Just because you're in an area that has delis on every corner doesn't mean you're going to be shot in broad daylight.
>>
>>1284182
>>1284169
Bull shit
>>
>>1280782
The only advice I can give to you is this:

Around blacks never relax.

Don't make eye contact with feral niggers either.

This tidbit alone can/will save your life in NYC. Don't venture off into nigger neighborhoods. They will see some little jap dude as an easy target.
>>
>>1284461

I'm white and I regularly walk from the fordham road 4 stop to the italian shit in arthur avenue, which goes through some real ghetto black areas. Yeah I see them doing wheelies on ATVs and shit but I have never been heckled or even talked to. I just walk to where I'm going and thats the fucking end of it
>>
>>1284888

This. Kingsbridge is fine. I looked into moving there. It's just innocent working hispanic families mostly, with some old irish remnants
>>
>>1284332
you say not to wear a maga hat in the bronx to not get murdered

afghanistan is also safe as long as you dont wear the enemie's colors

i dont relish the thought my home is "just as safe as" afghanistan
>>
>>1284888
>>1285122
Yeah there's nothing wrong with Kingsbridge, that guy is an idiot
>>
>>1285130
You won't get murdered for wearing a MAGA hat

People will just give you dirty looks at worst

>>1285071
You live in Ronkonkoma, shut the fuck up
>>
Things to do
>Walk the high-line
>Go to a Museum on their donation day
>Take a walk through Central park on a nice day
>In brooklyn visit Dough-Donuts, Brooklyn Roasters and if you are into a meh but hip experience Williamsburg for stuff like blue bottle etc
Things not to do
>Spend more than 30 minutes around Times Square
>Expect the Subway to work after 11pm (your ass will get stranded because of constant repair work)
>Hang around any of the housing projects (the locus of crime in NYC. (Literally 90% of the crime in NYC is within two blocks of a housing project)

Every Museum in NYC has a set donation day of the week that you can get into for a $. The Museums dont care that you pay less or anything, because those Museums are operated by very wealthy donors so the money from tickets literally doesn't matter to them.
>>
>>1285186
I take the subway after 11 all the time
>>
>>1285199
It may have gotten better, my advice might be a little aged now but I lived up there the year after sandy and scheduled repair work was a constant fixture of riding the subway after 11pm. The MTA app was a god-send, as is wifi in the tunnels that they have started to add.
>>
>>1285201
it's mostly certain lines that are fucked up on weekend nights

But getting around Manhattan is never an issue, as well as the outer boroughs usually.

I did have an issue with the L train, it wasn't running weekend nights so I had to take a shuttle bus and it was slow as fuck.
>>
Also dont mind the subway car performers. Some actually are pretty decent and might give you a laugh especially the people that do pole-dancing routines.
>>1285202
I lived on the Q/B line and used the D line a lot as well and that shit was not very dependable at all at nights since they don't run parallel with each other all the way. In Manhattan you are right that you should be fine since if one line goes down they will give a notice and you can just transfer from say the 4/5 to the 6.
Also save yourself the hassle and get a Metrocard for the duration of your stay.
>>
>>1285203
When I stay in Brooklyn, I'm about halfway in between the F and Q so I have options thankfully, I haven't had any issues yet though.
>>
>>1284332
When I was in NY around 20 or so black guys tried to sell their mixtape to me and accused me of racism when I didn't but one. Also all of the people who aggressively begged for money were black. Though none seemed actually threatening, but they were still a pest. I thought the african americans are a bunch of niggers was a meme, but now I understand where it comes from. I thought the "yo man buy my mixtape" was a meme too.
>>
>>1285311

Mixtape guys are largely gone.

Black aggressive beggars are still abundant, but there are now also lots of drugged up white kids from rich families begging and living on the street for fun who are even worse.
>>
>>1285311
>>1285415
those type of people are for the most part only found in the super touristy areas like near Penn Station
>>
>>1285186
Forgot:
Do:
Try to get roaming, it save my live when I was visiting
>>
If you can spare the shekels and have interest, see at least one Broadway show. You'll likely still find a great show, even if it's not currently world-famous or one you have to book a long while in advance like Lion King, Wicked, Book of Mormon or Hamilton. When I went in 2012, some of us were able to buy tickets to see "Memphis" the same day it showed. It was a great show, too, and pretty fortunate we caught it as I read since then it shut down August that same year.

It'll likely be cheaper to commute from a hotel in New Jersey. Hotels in NYC proper charge you like you can afford to live there, which you can't think about unless you make a million Yen a month.

If you do have to take a cab, try not to stress about the many maneuvers the driver will have to take.
>>
>>1287319
I was in New York state for a wedding and my cousin who was getting married took us to see An American in Paris, although I don't remember at which theater.

I'm not really a musical guy but I thought it was pretty cool.

I spent a half a day at the MET and that was time super well utilized. I only saw a small fraction, but I'm grateful I saw the collections that interested me the most. I was there during their big annual fashion thing too. I thought it was going to be more Deus Ex/Shadowrun than I got, but it was really neat.
>>
Go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art! I live in NYC and IMO it is the coolest thing in the city. Then rent a bike and ride around Central Park / along the Hudson river.
>>
check out some bars/clubs in Brooklyn
>>
>>1280782
Don't forget us
https://youtu.be/IeE-nrWJLjk
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.