[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has this ever ACTUALLY happened to anyone here EVER!? What kind

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 29057_article_full.jpg (57KB, 1260x560px) Image search: [Google]
29057_article_full.jpg
57KB, 1260x560px
Has this ever ACTUALLY happened to anyone here EVER!? What kind of mass hysteria takes place? Do people actually follow directions and get their mask on or does everyone start yelling?

If not then discuss any other kind of public air travel situations inside a plane, engine failure, sitting on the runway for 6 hours. Whatever.
>>
>>1280495
I've flown almost 40 times in my life and never experienced any problems. The only times I feel scared is when I see bearded muslims and when there's rain and storms outside my window.
>>
>>1280495
Ive flown on around 30 or so flights half of those trans atlantic/pacific and I have never even experienced strong turbulence.

>Am I lucky or is this pretty normal?
>>
>>1280495
No, i used to fly for business and probably clocked over 70 flights and nothing ever happened, had a view flights with bad turbulence, but nothing bad
>>
>>1280495
I think I had this happen to me once. No one seemed to care or do anything as it was a smooth ride
>>
File: IMG_3236.gif (3MB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3236.gif
3MB, 360x202px
>>1280516
>tfw a group of Muslim men board the plane
>>
>>1280495
in over 100 flights (3 transatlantic, rest short inter Europe 1-2 flights, 2 Bahams-Mexico 2 Bahamas-Florida) I've never had a decompression incident, but several strong turbulence events.
Passengers generally calm, newish travellers obviously more worried. I keep seat belts on at all times but cabin crew often has o remind, and remind passengers to fasten them because flying objects (ie. themselves) in cabin is no joke.
Probably most severe event was short prop hop from Glasgow to Loch Lomond: 10 seater, sitting behind the pilot with stewardess on my right; updrafts downdrafts crosswinds during approach causing what looked like 45 degree crab flying; after landing pilot says "That was a hard job".
Generally I'm blase, and far more cworried about Italian car drivers, having seen them knock down pedestrians and mopeds right next to me (one almost hit a policeman on a zebra crossing last week).
>>
>>1281172
>Europe 1-2 hour flights*
>has to remind, and re-remind*
>>
>>1280516
>almost 40 times

I died laughing.
>>
>>1281175
What's the problem? If you don't travel for work this is quite a lot.
>>
>>1280574
>I have never even experienced strong turbulence.
Try flying around the western U.S. during late Spring and early Summer. The storm systems will often cause severe turbulence then.

>>1280495
It can happen, but depressurization is a rare event. There's a reason they are called EMERGENCY air supply masks.
>>
>>1281177
LOL no bb. I've flown hundreds of times and only about a dozen flights for work.
>>
>>1281175
btw does everyone but me count the flights they take? i cannot recall the amount of times to save my life, must be between 150 and 300 times, though. (now i might sit down and count.)

>>1280495
we fried a dozen birds in one engine during take-off once. it was big enough for me to go practically deaf for a few days (i sat next to that engine, no headphones or earplugs helped), but it wasn't big enough for the captain to instantly turn back... he pushed the engine till we reached cruising altitude, and only then did he decide to turn one of the two engines off and glide back. this would count as no biggie for frequent flyers i guess.

we heard the loud bang (explosion-like) the moment we lifted off, so still right above the runway. meaning everyone seated with seat belts on. all of us in the rows next to the engines (including people on the other side from the affected engine, so something like a dozen people), we immediately pushed the "assistance" button above. i think i was the only one who lost their cool, cause it was the loudest where i sat, and it was just debilitatingly loud. a steward came up to us right away (he was supposed to be seated at that stage), we told him about the bang from the engine told him about the noise. he could barely hear us talking, but there wasn't much to explain, really. he said "it must be the air conditioning, but i'll let the captain know" came back after talking with the captain to say again that "it must be the air conditioning, but the pilots are checking and will make an announcement" lololl no one believed the bs about the a/c, but he tried. we all had to fucking SHOUT instead of talking btw, cause of all the noise, but i started to calm down seeing that there was still no visible damage outside. right after the a/c bs, the captain came on to make an announcement. people in the front were kind enough to relay it to us, as we couldn't hear much. the captain said that they also noticed that sound from that engine
>>
>>1281198
and that they were going through all their relevant checks, their sensors seemed fine. (or something along these lines, i couldn't hear first hand.)
a little bit later he finally reduced the thrust a bit, the engine was still much louder than usual... captain made another announcement that their checks went all good, so he'll continue to cruising altitude, but that they were also checking with ground engineers in the meantime. stewards started with the food service, also they seemed to communicate in writing with each other, idk if they normally do that.
while a steward again started his bs about "oh, i really thought it was the a/c", the engine was switched off, the plane basically pointed to the ground while turning back, stewards had to hold on to stuff a bit.
the captain came on and repeated that their checks went all fine, but that the ground engineers were curious about the engine, so he switched it off, and we're gonna go back switch planes.
it was a very quiet flight from then on, nice to glide in silence for half an hour or so. they only switched that engine back for the last few minutes of landing. a couple of engineers were looking at the plane while we switched to another one. later the captain said that the engineers didn't even have to look, they could smell the burnt birds.

other than that... i had a landing where the weather changed from freaking nice and sunny, no clouds for hours before landing to black wall of clouds, winds, rain, thunder while the landing gear was out already. like 0 to 100 very last minute. it was my first time landing at that airport, so i assumed the runway was quite short... the seat belts finally started to make sense there, even with seat belt on i slightly bumped into the seat in front of me. everyone was clapping. i realized since that the runway length is comfy there and that we had a questionable landing.

oh and that one time i had a public transport and atc strike combo in berlin...

tl;dr nothing special.
>>
shoutout to the french guy who calmed me down during some turbulent weather with stuff like "it's alright, once i had an engine fire during landing, and nothing happened, it was contained"
unfortunately i lost his e-mail address, he had some good travel tips.
>>
>>1281183
That is a big accomplishment and you should receive praise for it. It makes you an important person.
>>
the more i fly the more nervous i get, but i only did it around 8 times.
>>
>>1281198
>it wasn't big enough for the captain to instantly turn back

as long as the plane isnt seconds away from falling out of the sky climbing up and holding is the best option. civi pilots arent the best at handling emergencies very quickly, not to mention you'd land way over landing weight and probably ruin the landing gear set the breaks on fire trying to stop in time. as well as fucking up all other movements at the airport
>>
>>1280516
*Flies exclusively on Qatar airways*
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.