[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the stereotype of the "Digital Nomad" warranted?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5

File: punspace.jpg (328KB, 1024x769px) Image search: [Google]
punspace.jpg
328KB, 1024x769px
Is the stereotype of the "Digital Nomad" warranted?

I am a designer and I want to live in Chiang Mai for a while to experience it and save some cash. But every single Nomad vlogger I have seen seems like a total loser. Basically, a bunch of beta web devs that live on a shoestring and date Thai girls (whilst slating Western women) and claiming that the lifestyle is incredible.

I want nothing to do with these clowns. I don't want anything to do with co-working spaces, drop shipping scams, "nomad summits" or to be any part of the community whatsoever. I just want to work abroad for a while, enjoy the experience, make some cash and come home.

Any remote workers here with experience of Chiang Mai? Is it completely full of these insufferable tools? Advice in general for working whilst travelling and just doing your own thing?
>>
>>1280061
If you already work from home for most of your job, don't mind working off a laptop, and can schedule properly. Won't be a problem. Issue most of the time is people sorely underestimate how much those peple make
>>
>>1280072
>underestimate
did you mean overestimate?
>>
>>1280076

I get what he meant. I'm earning about £2500 a month UK remotely already so living on £500 a month in CM shouldn't be a problem. I just don't want to be surrounded by scammy MGTOW devs
>>
>>1280091
I was actually wondering if he meant underestimate or overestimate. I'm kind of curious about it myself but everything I have read seems to make it out as if the internet is not really always steady. I'd be looking for a dsl line that never goes out, I'm not sure if I could get that in SE Asia.
>>
OP, I graduated in 2008 with a highly specialized design degree in a competitive consumer goods industry, but because it was a luxury product market, it immediately took a nosedive during the global recession and I never got a job. My major went from having a 97% employment rate to having only 2 of my graduating class of 19 designers getting offered jobs on graduation. To this day, they're the only 2 people I know who are still working in that business.

One of them got the job because she was valedictorian and top of the class, she deserved it. The other one got the job because she was a Chinese national, and in consumer products businesses where everything is made overseas, speaking Chinese will get you hired and keep your job faster than any degree.

I took a job as an ESL teacher in Korea in 2009 because my industry went to shit and I had nowhere to go and nothing to lose.

When I got there and started talking to other expats, I found more of the same. A lot of people are in travel jobs for the exact reason you've figured out by reading those blogs. The sex tourists are in SEA because they can't get laid with girls at home. A lot of the ESL teachers are abroad because they have broke-dick degrees in unemployable fields like liberal arts, and the only thing that ESL teaching requires is a pulse and a birth certificate from a western native English country.

I love to travel and was thankful for the opportunity as much as anyone, but what you've discovered is a seed of the truth.

Some people are just abroad because either through bad luck, lack of motivation, or bad life decisions, they couldn't make their shit work at home so they went somewhere else to roll the dice there.

Sometimes you'll find that when you talk to other expats, when you ask the question "Why did you leave?" A lot of times the answer is "I was a loser and I had nothing keeping me at home."

Just be wary and make sure all your decisions are in the best interest of your career.
>>
>>1280061
I fell for the exact meme life that you describe and currently live on less than $600 per month in CM.
>Is it completely full of these insufferable tools?
Yes they're everywhere.
>Advice in general for working whilst travelling and just doing your own thing?
Thailand is cool but don't bother with CM. I've been here for less than a year and planning to move to South America instead.
>>
>>1280102

Seems a legit post, cheers Anon.

I have to concede life is not great for me back home. But I am under no pretensions that moving to Asia temporarily will change that. I hate the MGTOW bullshit that is seemingly bubbling under the surface with many of these guys. They let rip on Western women at any given opportunity. Yes, its fucking tough these days if you are not Chad and making bank or prepared to lower your standards considerably. I get why these guys are frustrated, up to a point. But I hate this bullshit idea that Asia women are somehow perfect and superior. They are just farang getting rinsed like every other sexpat at the end of the day.

For me, a bit part of the motivation is saving cash. I didn't save when I was younger in my 20s and so now I have nothing to fall back on financially. I'm earning ok money and I can definitely increase it with some effort so I could theoretically put away a decent few grand whilst living in a low-cost country like Thailand.

But part of me does feel like I'll just be another one of those sad Digital Nomad fuckers. I can't help but feel that ultimately, I'm running away from something, even if it is only temporary. But then the alternative back home is spending a fortune on dead rent and not much of a social life.

Guess I've just got to think it over some more

>>1280124

I did consider Medellin myself, although I hear its getting the same way as Chiang Mai now with the bromads. Interesting to see if they have the same success with South American chicks as they do with poor Thais. I highly fucking doubt it
>>
>>1280130
>Medellin
Yeah, not what I have in mind. I'm tired of CM due to it being such a meme location so I don't want another meme location. I'd probably go to a much smaller city this time around.

>I hate this bullshit idea that Asia women are somehow .... superior
In my limited experience I'd argue that this is actually 100% true for a westerner in Thailand. Thai women don't beat around the bush and because of the language gap they can't play the same games even if they wanted to. They are much more straight forward in that they do expect financial benefits however they are so focused on being great girlfriends and doing what they can for you. I don't know if it's because having a big tall white boyfriend is a status symbol or because I make 10-20x the average Thai person but I don't really care because they treat me infinitely better. Also, please don't believe that every Thai woman is out to fleece her farang, there is almost every incentive for an english speaking Thai woman to prefer farang over Thai men so it's not just bloodsuckers in our dating pool.

I never bought in to the mgtow stuff until I came here and now I can honestly say I will never date a western woman again, honestly I'm considering bringing my TGF to South America but she doesn't speak Spanish, so eh.
>>
>>1280130
Dude, I don't get why you let these people bother you so much. If some lonely loser wants to go to bumfuck wherever in SEA and try his luck with some poor slants I don't see how that affects you.

Go do whatever you want to do, make your decision as if you had never heard of MGTOW or digital nomads.
>>
>>1280102
+6.022e23

I travel on and off as much as I can. Almost anyone I meet that's on the road over 1 year is either a snotty British cunt on their "gap year" or some loser that could'nt make it at home and figured what the hell, nothing to lose. Some are just honest kids doing ESL for a year to have an experience but yea... It's not a destination.
>>
>>1280130
western women are a write off and you don't have to be mgtow to see that. You should project a little less and open your eyes to how shitty and spoiled girls are from the feminist rhetoric.

Or be a beta cuck that panders to females thus exacerbating the problem of their inflated egos.
>>
>>1280102
>>1280130
>I fucked up and can't make enough money
>time to go to asia to talk shit about all the other people that are in asia because they can't make enough money

I swear the two of you are the worst types to meet abroad. Not happy with where you are, not realistic about where you are.
Get some self awareness, and esl teachers aren't digital nomads
>>
>>1280143
Because that lonely loser salts the game for everyone and foreigners get a reputation? Presumably if I'm some island Asian and you're the second sorry sod I've meant from Kent, Cincinnati, Toronto, Adelaide, etc. wherever you come from and you speak English, what am I gonna think? That you're a walking bank account? That you're an easy mark? That you're sorry sack of shit #94835? That you're trouble, unwanted, undesirable? Or am I gonna say 'thank heavens we have some pink bastard over here whose a piss poor representation of his people and perhaps the nadir of western civ and Anglo culture?'
>>
>>1280228
The funny thing is, even "poor" westerners make great money in Thailand / Vietnam / wherever, given the cost of living. So you're just talking out your ass. You spend way more time being salty about westerners than the "islanders" do.
>>
Being a digital nomad is fine so long as
>you have a savings that you NEVER touch to get out of it when you get bored
>always have a reliable or mostly reliable internet connection
>can schedule for things
>have enough money to survive shit like a laptop getting stolen or other gear
>don't mind working in any conditions
>have a job that allows you to work in said time difference
>have a job and good enough skills to not get outsourced to india
>don't mind living without knowing the next paycheck amount

Personally, doing a 6-9 month contract job, quitting and living overseas is probably a more viable option.

>>1280230
Yeah and your quality of living is not that super awesome either.
>>
>>1280230
>>1280177
The ESL/Digital Nomad Internet Defense Force is in full-effect! Beware...
>>
>>1280238
>people live differently than me and have different priorities in life
>FUCK THEM
>>
Internet nomading is about on par with how people in college or fresh out of high school go to europe stay in a hostel and then come back with "stories that totally happened and how we had sex 24/7 with so many drugs!".

Completely doable, but is it all it is cracked up to be? Nah, to each their own but don't go in expecting leisure working and chilling all the time.
>>
>>1280238
You lived the life, hate yourself all you want. I just find it funny you basically described yourself in a way that makes you look like a loser. I'm not sure why you are lecturing OP about ESL anyway, when he is asking about being a digital nomad, they are not the same at all.
>>
oh hey im a total loser with meager savings and a useless degree. this honestly sounds way better than anything else i can see myself doing in the next 5 years.

how do i get started
>>
>>1280279
that's the spirit, comrade. you too can be a digital nomad
>>
>>1280277
I've dealt with both digital nomads and ESL-types and they're both scum, anon. Also, don't comma splice and project. It really is unbecoming of a human being.
>>
>>1280279
>oh hey im a total loser with meager savings
>how do i get started

Step 1 is to purchase a $2900 macbook pro
Come back for further advice once this step is completed
>>
>>1280326
Heh, I still don't get why the people who call themselves poor or nomads have fucking macbook pros, like holy shit, why not get something cheaper and more versatile?
>>
>>1280333
they are trustfund babies are total tech normies
>>
>>1280234
>Personally, doing a 6-9 month contract job, quitting and living overseas is probably a more viable option.
sounds good to me what kind of jobs could i do mate?>
>>
>>1280279
>how do i get started
learn a skill
programming/web design for example
>>
>>1280228
Why do you give a shit about what some random slant thinks?
>>
OP here. I seemed to have stirred up the pot with this thread

These conversations inevitably descend into Thai women are golddiggers vs Western women are scum debates. Nothing is that black and white. I know full well the problems with Western feminism and I despise it wholeheartedly. But I also don't believe that every single European/American woman is a despicable whore beyond redemption.

I'm making enough money to rent comfortably in the UK and live a normal enough life. I'm single but I am not even that attracted to Asian girls in particular. They fall behind British, Eastern European and Latino women significantly for me. No yellow fever here.

My problem is with these fucking "nomads". What stupid, pretentious term. Its exactly the kind of term invented by scammy internet marketers. So many of these Digitial Nomads seem so keen to describe themselves as such like its a real badge of honour, like it sets them apart in some way and makes them oh so entrepreneurial and special. You're a fucking freelancer working abroad for a while there is nothing out of the ordinary about it. Most people wouldn't have the guts to leave a job or travel long term so why not just be thankful you are experiencing the opportunity? Instead, it becomes this otherwordly
"lifestyle".

Its clear that so many nomads are beta as fuck, the kind of guys that were bullied at school and now they pursue this life-less-ordinary as some sort of misguided payback. They all brag about their Thai girlfriends when its clear these are usually their first EVER girlfriends.

I'm ranting again. I just don't want to associate with these people nor do I want to be considered one of them just because I'm self-employed and want to work abroad. That does not make me a digital fucking nomad. Part of me feels sorry for them, part of wishes they'd take their Youtube vlogs and info products and die of Rabies in a Nimman backstreet
>>
File: 1499954732976.jpg (134KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1499954732976.jpg
134KB, 2000x1000px
>>1280282
>>1280405
>i want to go to thailand
>i hate people in thailand

just why? please, stay home.
>>
>>1280405
'nomad' here... but I agree I hate this term and I try to avoid it as much as possible. But by the logic in this thread anyone who does long term travel, a gap year, or wants to see the world obviously has nothing good going on at home and is a loser. fair enough.

my understanding is the 'digital nomad' thing came up around the whole dropshipping / infoproduct craze 2-5 years ago. It's an american marketing thing that got some press attention and stuck.

I don't like going by the term either, but if you work online and live in a cheap country getting paid western dollars, you are going to get painted with that brush. Not a yellow fever guy either for the record... just did 3 months in asia and honestly didn't see the appeal but maybe I'm a big racist or anglophile.

I've never actually met anyone in real life who calls themselves a 'digital nomad', and it would be pretty funny if people like that actually existed. From my time working in tech and working remotely, I've only ever encountered people with startup-style setups or freelancers.
>>
>>1280061
>>1280102
>>1280130
>>1280124
>>1280228
>>1280282
>>1280405
>>1280416

>heh, swear guyz i don't like asian women, plus i can be a winner back home unlike the other losers here, promise guys

>i'm not like the other digital nomads, i'm different.

I swear you guys are just as bad as the "i'm totally not a weeaboo but i wannt go to tokyo for 3 years and make videogames" people.

I'm trying to help you out here. Quit worrying so much about what other people think about you. Quit worrying about these shitty stereotypes. Go to Thailand, enjoy being in Thailand. Quit worry about whether you are this guy or that guy. Just don't be an asshole and hurt people, and don't go around bad mouthing the other expats.

10 years from now you are going be cheating on your fat white wife with a thai hooker, and everybody is going to be saying they saw it coming a mile away. we see you, we know what you are, just accept it.
>>
Is Thai pussy really THAT good?
>>
>>1280432
no and theyre not even as attractive as thicc western women but they make up for it. the difference is that western women are taught they dont need men and they really dont at all due to reasons i wont go in to because itd make me seem like a neckbeard. thailand still has a culture of scarcity and the women still work hard to keep a good man.
>>
there are sure a lot of them, but in concentrated areas. they hang together, thankfully. avoid nimman and especially the area around Corner Bistro in huaykaew, avoid farang bars and clubs like the plague, make a lot of thai friends that speak english but aren't associated with/don't like DNs (they do exist). there are some venues there deep into my trip that had 2-3K people and not a farang in sight. There are plenty of good areas to live where there are no DNs. I'm not actually sure if there are any legit expats in CM or where they would hang out, maybe old city or at bars around the night bazaar. Make sure you have your business shit together BEFORE arriving and a structured schedule or you will stagnate and do nothing, because the place is full of rather excellent distractions.
>>
the good thing about DNs is that they don't seem very adventurous and weren't shitting up even the slightly more obscure places i went to.
>>
>>1280432
On par with your average white bitch.
>>
>>1280472
>hi do you hate digital nomads?
>great! i'm a digital nomad, let's be friends!

this whole thread.
>>
>>1280427
>>heh, swear guyz i don't like asian women, plus i can be a winner back home unlike the other losers here, promise guys
>>i'm not like the other digital nomads, i'm different.
>I swear you guys are just as bad as the "i'm totally not a weeaboo but i wannt go to tokyo

I didn't say any of this greentext shit. I have nothing against any expats or 'nomads'. but why am I a loser just because I work on a computer?
lol strong everything
>>
>>1280477

so its not tighter than white pussy then?
>>
>>1280767
i highlighted a lot of people so maybe i tied you in by mistake, i don't have a problem with any of the people i meet abroad. i'm just kind of confused by the posters that seem to be in denial about what they are or what they want to do. Sorry if I just green text like a failure, i did my best.
>>
People are not honestly still trying to start drop shipping businesses are they?

Freelancers with regular work/contracts earning decent money I can understand. But living in a fleapit and eating Ramen every night just to call yourself a digital nomad is a pointless existence imo
>>
>>1280405
Ahahhaa. Mr bitter. Doing the same rant on trv for about 18 months now.
>>
>>1280432
Well, it is brown, tiny, and the woman that it is attached to quietly cleans my flat while I sleep, and gets me food when I am hungry and blows me every day. Up to you to decide whether that is good or not.
>>
>>1280880
i think t shirt companies are the new meme job
>>
>>1280416
How easy is it to start an income this way from scratch? Im assuming you have a stable job that requires you not to show up as long as work gets done? Totally new to this.
>>
>>1280796
damn straight pussy bitch.
>>
>>1281022
don't worry bro this is for losers only. not something you'd wanna do or you'll end up

>>1280427
"10 years from now you are going be cheating on your fat white wife with a thai hooker, and everybody is going to be saying they saw it coming a mile away. we see you, we know what you are, just accept it."
>>
File: 1495408950292.gif (4MB, 480x324px) Image search: [Google]
1495408950292.gif
4MB, 480x324px
>>1281191
ah, ok?

>>1281192
>"10 years from now you are going be cheating on your fat white wife with a thai hooker, and everybody is going to be saying they saw it coming a mile away. we see you, we know what you are, just accept it.

Well to be honest, I was saying that in response to people that ask and want to live the lifestyle but try to knock it at the same time. They seem to want to go to Thailand but they don't want to deal with the reality of how they will be perceived because they do this. This leads them to attack the lifestyle everyone is living there and claim to be one of a few people that is doing it the "right way". I think this will eventually lead them to have a meltdown and become what they despise.

Not saying I have personal experience with this, but eh...
>>
>>1281213
dem slants started looked pretty good after about 2 months
>>
I run an actual business with a warehouse and staff overseas. I occasionally run into wantrepreneurs/digital nomads, and none of them seem happy. They typically hate country they're stuck in, and don't get why no one is handing them sacks of money and respect for being a remote bum.

To be fair it's cool to want to travel and live somewhere else and most of you don't have the stomach to build a real company. I guess it's about the same as being an ESL monkey.
>>
>>1281229
the unhappy people are money Hungary or prestige whores
>>
>>1281230
I don't know what their malfunction is, but they sort of get off on hating the country (act like they don't HAVE to be there).

To be fair I'm super racist towards the locals and hate most of what they do, but I need them for an industrial base and cheaper labor. So I do my best to enjoy the food, culture, and women.
>>
Semi related: As someone who is some what computer literate but i just dont have any specific design or coding skills, what would be the best thing to learn to be able to earn money without having to stay in one place (digital nomad basically).

Is there any chance of being able to self teach.
>>
>>1281258
There are millions of online courses teaching coding. Codecademy and The Odin Project being some. Go for it.
>>
>>1280447
>they really dont at all due to reasons i wont go in to because itd make me seem like a neckbeard.

This piqued my interest.
Is it due to evolutionary psychology?
>>
>>1281192
lol. Yeah i know much about that lifestyle. As a source of side income ans not 100% relying on it while travelling. How would you go about securing projects or whatever you guys do?
>>
>>1281286
i meant that feminism has successfully enabled women to work jobs and be independent enough that they never truly NEED to rely on a man unlike thai people who are heavily reliant on their families and partners, this is mainly due to there being no social safety nets in thailand. unlike the west where the government will pay you just to spit out kids if you want to jump through enough hoops. women in the west are typically extremely entitled individuals who shirk their femininity at every opportunity yet still expect the highest calibre of men to entertain them, prbably because they got pumped and dumped by some hot guys they met online once or twice. this contrasts heavily with thai women who generally have realistic or low expectations of men yet are expected to fulfill traditional female gender roles as well as taking on modern responsibilities of education, careers, bills, etc

in conclusion:
>thai prostitutes
extremely overrated unless you like small tits and ass with pudgy soft bodies from having never exercised in their life
>thai girlfriends/wives
everything you could ever hope for as long as youre ok with fully integrating with her family and probably giving them money regularly.

so yea i was never a neckbeard mgtow anti western feminism type but after living in thailand for a couple years well here i am telling my friends not to bother with white girls
>>
>>1281235
fucking expats in Brazil have that attitude they are retarded no one asked them to move there fucking hell
>>
>>1281387
Except for the part about about the hot guys they found online this isn't neckbeardy. I think lots of these women have little sex due to high standards and the feeling that they need to focus on a career because through that they contribute to positive social change.

I think the main problem is that western women want to settle at 30+, it's just that on the level of physical attraction I don't want to start a family with them then, and it also doesn't make much sense from a practical point of view. Very little time to get more than one child then, also who's gonna look after the child when she is career-focused? It only leads to her doing two things badly. I can see this in my line of work.

Problem with Thai women for me would be that they don't appear attractive and that I don't want my children to not look like me. The supposed social stigma of having a mail order bride would be secondary.
>>
>>1281390
>I think lots of these women have little sex due to high standards
sort of, i think lots of these women have many sex partners but fewer boyfriends due to them picking fuckboys who dont actually want them, i also think women are ok with this because it's like you said, most women(and men) expect to not settle down until late 20s at the earliest.
>don't want my children to not look like me.
i feel you on this, i just recently found out i have a 4yo thai son from my first trip to thailand with my first thai gf who i only knew for 6 weeks. he has round eyes and is a very big kid but other than that we have no connection and i dont know how to feel since she has asked for nothing and im with a new girl now.
>The supposed social stigma of having a mail order bride would be secondary
i think this isnt nearly as bad as people think it is. my friend and his filipina wife who live in the usa was very much like a mail order bride situation(met online and he never went to PI) and he has received nothing but praise and well wishes from our friends and family. i think your average western guy can understand why you would want a foreign wife, especially if you come back with a great catch
>>
>>1281396
Crazy stuff about your son.

As for the mail order bride it probably depends on how big or rural your hometown is.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.