[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /trv/ i'm planning on hitchhicking in Canada, i would

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

Hey /trv/ i'm planning on hitchhicking in Canada, i would get there flying. The problem is: i've never hitchhicked or visited Canada. The travel would be in summer of next year and it would start on Vancouver and stay in Canada around 10 days.
Where should i head? How expensive is Canada? With how much money could i stay there 10 days considering i would take the basics with me? Is it safe there? What should i keep in mind considering i'm from Mexico and my city is damn hot? Thanks
>>
do you have a return trip booked out of vancouver?

10 days isn't a lot of time if you have to hitchhike back to vancouver, could get to calgary or edmonton

I'd look into staying closer to Vancouver, just going over to Vancouver island, you can stay in hostels for $30/day, if you buy food at the store $10/day, include bus fares and you'd want $50/day at least if you have no local contacts

expect high temperatures of 35, overnight low of 10
>>
>>1277709
No, i don't have a return trip booked out of vancouver. Yeah i have contacts in vancouver. I wouldn't mind taking the return flight in another city.
What's the best route i could take? It doesn't matter if it takes more time.
>>
>>1277720
Highway 1 down to calgary, by far the easiest route and you get to drive through the rockies, and you get to go to the tourist trap Banff has become (or Canmore which is 40 minutes away, and not as touristy). Whistler is also a tourist trap. Also pass Yoho, Golden, Lake Louise on Hwy 1 but a lot of these places are a lot better during ski season.

Or you can ferry over to Vancouver Island and do Victoria and Nanaimo. This would probably be easier to transit.

It's about 10-12 hours from Vancouver to Calgary, Banff is 40 minutes off. Calgary Stampede already ended which is basically the only toursity event in Calgary (it's a good city to grow up, but nothing special to travel to). Edmonton has a big mall. I go to school in Edmonton and there isn't much to do, Jasper is okay, but isn't as close to Edmonton as Banff is to Calgary. Edmonton is also an extra 2 and a half hour transit.

Okanagan is also an option from Vancouver, but it gets fucking hot at night. Kelowna is nice, and if you like wine then it could be something you consider, but you don't really get mountains.

Don't expect to get to Toronto in 10 days, and there is even less to do in Manitoba and Saskatchewan on Hwy 1.
>>
>>1277739
*hot at day in Kelowna, mb
>>
>>1277720
you can take return flights home from Calgary more than likely, YYC isn't quite as big as YVR and has less international flights, but still the best option until you reach the east.
>>
>>1277739
Thanks a lot, man. I really want to see forests, mountains, landscapes and snow (but probably there won't be any sknce it'll be summer), is there anything of that close by? I wanna take some beautiful pictures.
>>
>>1277747
Hwy 1 to Calgary is your best chance by far. If you like hiking, your best chance of seeing snow is at higher peaks on mountains. There are mountains close to Vancouver and Calgary, and the drive between the two is almost all mountains and forests. There will be snow on some mountains still, but your best chance to see snow without it being real fucking cold is in May, but in Calgary especially anything can happen, my only snow day ever in school was in the first week of September, and I've seen it snow in August before, but those are rare.
>>
>>1277747
oh and Banff/Canmore are considered to be some of the most beautiful places to take photos in the world, as well as Lake Louise. I went skydiving in Golden as well and it was incredibly beautiful. There will be plenty of chances to get great photos in the mountains.

Also don't be a fucking idiot and approach most animals. Especially moose and bears, there is a good chance you'll see the latter if you are in the Rockies for an extended time, they will fuck you up. A moose charging me was by far the scariest moment of my life, they are huge fuckers. But be smart and wilderness is nothing to fear (hikes are always better with more people also, otherwise get some bear spray.)
>>
>>1277751
>>1277750
Thanks a lot, there's still some time left before i hit the roads, but i will start planning and try to visit those places and be careful with the animals. Do you have any tips?
>>
>>1277753
don't go into woods at night, it's okay to go on hikes alone, but have bear spray and a phone, but it is way smarter and safer to hike in groups. A lot of locals are super nice, so don't be afraid to ask questions, especially if it's about mountains and you are in a place like Canmore, people basically orgasm talking about trails and photo spots. Follow routes on hikes as well, don't go off road unless you are with someone who knows their shit, great way to get lost/injured.
As for Vancouver and Calgary, they are like your basic western cities, they both have really good restaurants and have unique sites, but there are more attractions for tourists in Vancouver than Calgary for sure. The smaller towns between Calgary and Vancouver have a lot of great sites as well, but there are a few that are more known for gas than anything else. If you have say in driving, the best places to plan to stop would be if you left Van at around 9AM, lunch in Kamloops, stop in either Revelstoke, Salmon Arm or Sicamose, stop in Golden may be your best place for an early dinner, walk around Yoho for a bit, and drive straight from their to Calgary, maybe stopping in Banff, Lake Louise, or Canmore, but it's really easy to get to Canmore/Banff from Calgary.There is a bus that goes from Calgary to Banff ( onitregionaltransit [dot] ca/calgarybanff-maps-schedules/ )
I'd imagine you can fly from Calgary back to where you are from, it might be more expensive, but probably not by much.
Worse comes to worse you can't hitchhike for whatever reason, a Greyhound will take you from Vancouver to Calgary for pretty cheap.
I think that's all I have to say, but I'll keep this thread up for a but if you have any questions.
Oh and Canadian cuisine is kinda a meme. Poutine is okay, but like Canada doesn't really have a cuisine to speak of. Vancouver has better food than calgary as well.
>>
>>1277756
No more questions, friend. Canadians sure are nice. I'm very thankful
>>
>>1277555
>going to another country to hitchhike
>never ever hitchhiked before

it's people like you who die dumb, pointless deaths during their trips and serve as an example for the media to show how dangerous and scary hitchhiking (or any other unusual activity) is.

ffs, do at least a single trip in your own country to check how do you like traveling this way.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.