[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where is the most depressing place you've ever had the misfortune

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 7

File: j8hnm2x34yaz.jpg (46KB, 790x472px) Image search: [Google]
j8hnm2x34yaz.jpg
46KB, 790x472px
Where is the most depressing place you've ever had the misfortune of visiting?

I stayed overnight in a dinky little town in southern Indiana and swore it was hopelessness incarnate
>>
The Hague
>>
>>1277117
I'm going to assume that's pic related? It's hard to say honestly...I'd say any of the areas of Ohio that were once affluent and all those historical homes that have been turned into low-income apartments. That depresses the shit out of me. Visiting family there wherever they maybe (Hamilton, Middletown, Cleveland Heights, etc.) and invariably there will be a beautiful historic district with stately mansions and beautiful properties and all of them could be on a historic register well preserved but instead it's a slummy part of town and they've been converted into condos and apartments
>>
Slough
>>
>>1277130

Pretty much all of the Rust Belt and Appalachia are depressing examples of prior wealth... It's sad
>>
>>1277117
>Where is the most depressing place you've ever had the misfortune of visiting?
I've done some third world travel, so this is hardmode for me to narrow it down. Haiti is a shithole for instance. The garbage in the water in Rio is pretty bad, which the whole world knows well now. The shanty town favela style living conditions as you leave most major latin american cities is pretty sad such as Mexico City on the way to the pyramids, in general that exists many places. Tin roofs, sewage and garbage in the street. Acid runoff from industry that pollutes towns where fabric dyes are being used, like in Asia, oh man.
'll stick to the US then.
The utter wasteland of Port ArthurTX with the oil refineries clogging up the night air, as seen from I-10 driving from Houston to Lake Charles, LA is pretty something and supposed to be the most polluted city in the US.
But, if you ever get privy to see the destruction from strip mining that destroys 100s of acres and damages watersheds, that's pretty ugly too. You see that out west.
>>
I've been to Paris Saint-Ouen, Amsterdam Nieuw-West, Bonn-Tannenbusch. They immediately spring to mind. But in the spirit of the thread let me mention some places outside of the heavily Islamised neighborhoods of western Europe.

I can't decide between Leicester (United Kingdom), Zoetermeer (Netherlands), Mülheim a/d Ruhr (Germany) and Charleroi (Belgium).

The thing is, when I travelled to worse countries (on paper), I would do enough research to avoid visiting their absolute shitholes. So all my shitholes are close to where I live.
>>
>>1277138
Agreed! Considering the wealth that states like Michigan and Ohio and Illinois et al had it's just awful
>>
>>1277130
Next time drive like half an hour east by southeast and it's beautiful. I live out that way and I really wouldn't want to live anywhere else in the world. But yes, closer to the city is depressing. Detroit is far worse, though. However, west Cleveland is in full gentrification.
>>
>>1277138
I just posted and should've tagged you in the post. Anyway, I live in NE Ohio and there's still lots of wealth there, believe it or not. Gates Mills is one of the richest places in the USA. My county is like 60-something on wikipedia's list of richest counties. Not saying I am, but the money is still here; lots of medical and chemical stuff.
>>
Northwestern Bulgaria.
>>
>>1277122
why the Hague?
>>
Asunción comes to mind... There's just an air of negativity in that city. The plywood shantytown in the main plaza doesn't help either.
>>
One word. Fresno.
>>
Hattiesburg(Camp Shelby) Mississippi
>>
>>1277122
explain

I was told it's pretty nice. Several times
>>
>>1277764
Or just lots of the central valley in general

there are no cities. just rest-stops with economies and living quarters for ag labor

and cow shit

Obviously it's not fair to compare it to actual poor and deteriorated countries, but it's hard to fathom the kind of person it takes to choose a middle-class lifestyle in such a place.
>>
Irkutsk
>>
LA.

First time ever going to a western country outside the one I live in and wow is it a shithole. When you see so much poverty and poorness it what's meant to be a 1st world country it jars you more than going to a 3rd would one and knowing what your getting.
>>
>>1277117
Most middle small cities are depressing as hell. The ones with no historical centre, no huge economical value, just kind of a place where people don't want to live. It is always this grey mess with no nice landscape or nice weather or nice financial prospects.

The kind of cities where kids dream to be able to leave from some day.
>>
The most depressing "important" place (as in, a major city in an area) I've been to is probably Lugo. I was expecting a nice regional capitol with a lot of historical buildings. That's pretty much true for the old part of the city within the Roman walls, but outside of the walls the city of a depressing shithole. The whole city has a dirty, run-down atmosphere that usually only impoverished areas have. It was actually very jarring, because I'd been to plenty of other similarly-sized cities in the region and most were pretty nice, but Lugo was just sad. Especially because the disparity between the Roman part of the city and outside the walls was so huge. It's like the only parts of the city anyone cares about maintaining are the ones that have to be kept of because of UNESCO and tourism. Other than that:

>>1278002
Pretty much this. In terms of soul-crushing despair and a complete lack of anything worthwhile, nothing really beats small cities that are dying.
>>
Little Rock
>>
>>1277972
nah, the place is cool. Nice center, cool people, good stories. And it's close by to one of the coolest lakes
>>
Fujariah, United Arab Emirates.
>>
>>1277117
Rome
>>
Lorain, Ohio. It's like a mini-Detroit but with the scariness replaced by sadness. Empty factories and shuttered businesses as far as the eye can see.
>>
>>1277117
Preston has the highest suicide rate in the UK
>>
>>1277764
Fresno, Bakersfield, Palmdale, Barstow, etc
>>
>>1277117
Nelson, Lancashire
>>
I went to Atlantic City days after the tsk mahal closed. Now that was depressing. I'm from new York, and people like to spread rumors that literally everywhere outside the city is clean. Atlantic City was dirtier than new York.

Outside America I'd have to say Ipres in Belgium. It's literally just a million overpriced tourist shops and nobody around. Even the trench reconstruction 2 miles outside the city was bad. It was some fenced in place in the middle of a giant energy plant
>>
>>1277656
I grew up in Cleveland. Hunting Valley, Gates Mills, Bratenahl, etc. are all still very nice, but there are large swaths of Cleveland that were once part of millionaire's row on lakeshore blvd owned by the likes of Edisons, Firestones, Rockefellers, etc. probably the richest avenue in the history of the world, and it's gone, all gone.

But agreed that NEOH and the Cleveland-area is a magical please in its own way.
>>
>>1277972
Oh come on, it's like the Seattle of Russia
>>
File: fatfuckfilingcabinet.png (403KB, 790x472px) Image search: [Google]
fatfuckfilingcabinet.png
403KB, 790x472px
>>1277117
ftfy
>>
>>1277760
Paraguay in general is fucking depressing.
Ciudad del Este (the largest city) is basically a smuggling hub full of street urchins and tourists trying to make a quick buck by buying stolen merchandise.

Every person I've met that has been to Paraguay has said the people are kinda hostile and very insular. Definitively not a country for the faint hearted.
>>
>>1277117

Belfast. Hands down Belfast is the most depressing place I've ever been. IN the four days I was there, there was 2 demonstrations a day that I witnessed. Idiots marching up and down acting like their shit meant anything to the greater good of the world they lived in. You could feel the hatred these twats had for each other but no interest in living any other way then just hating each other. Of the 4 days I spent there, I did everything I could get on tours for two days to get out of the city.
>>
>>1277117
Cumberland Maryland. I've seen some poverty by CT standards but holy fuck. Hanoi was more appealing. Poor decrepit utterly lost looking people. I read about its history, it didn't even excel in any industry during WW2. What a poverty stricken shithole. They need to just all the people to literally anywhere else in the US and bulldoze th city.
>>
>>1277755
Kind of wonder this myself. I liked the Hague a lot.

>>1277764
>>1277817
>>1279538
>>1277983
Fuck California. I hate the entire fucking state and will be glad to see it slide off into the ocean.

>>1279623
Atlantic City used to be nice about 15 years ago. Now it's a shit hole that even Trump doesn't want anything to do with.
>>
>>1279734

I've got a friend that lives in Cumberland. I honestly do feel bad for the fucker. It's a shit show of a place. So many drugs and such low income. It's amazing anyone would actually live there willingly. Then again he's said Cumberland isn't a place you live in, it's a place you end up at.
>>
>>1279742
>a place you end up at
fuck

I remember it having a lower income per capita than Detroit. Like 140 out of 150 poor cities in the US. Get him the fuck out. Buy a bus ticket to fucking anywhere and leave that literal hellhole.
>>
>>1279745
Come for a visit, stay for life. That's Cumberland, MD's motto holy shit.
>>
>>1279729
Yeah unfortunately everything you said is true. I went to Ciudad del Este after Asunción. The Jesuit ruins by Encarnación are nice and it's a nice little city, though. Definitely the best part of PY that I saw.
>>
>>1277755
>>1279736
>>1277813
I went in the middle of winter and it was a miserable cunt of a place. Probably would've been alright in summer though.
>>
Pretty much any part of Belarus that isn't Minsk

I went through a bit of effort to get the visa to travel there, and invested time in ironing out my crude understanding of Russian, only to arrive to one of the most desolate and hopeless countries I have ever been to. These people have no future, no hope, and no will to continue. The infrastructure was in poor shape, and people lived in very tiny houses with their entire family, but somehow 3 generations of people owned less things than most Americans have stored in their attics and garages. They don't even have pride in their country or a truly unique historical perspective since many of them honestly believe that communism was the only good thing that happened to them. Quite a few women were interested in me purely because they thought I could get them out of the country, and while most of them did not speak English, the ones that did clearly learned it from watching old VHS tapes and developed this strange idea that America was just one gigantic mixture of New York City, Hollywood, and Texas, where everyone made millions of dollars and lived in gigantic houses.

What made it far more depressing was when one woman brought me to her home to meet her family, and even the younger siblings looked like they were alcoholics. The mother complimented me so much and kept saying I would be a great husband for her daughter, and the woman herself was apparently dressed up as nice as possible, even though she pretty much looked like a girl going out to a bar.

I'm telling you boys, that whole myth around picking up uneducated cuties in the former USSR is sickening, but for these girls, it's really their only way out and gold-digging is far more preferable to staying in a shithole country and becoming fat and ugly and getting hitched to an abusive alcoholic because having kids with someone is far better than becoming a "starukha"
>>
>>1279780
>gommunism saved us
>pls get me out of here
>>
>>1279745

The sad part is he owns a house. He works at the same company I do and stays with me during the week when he is down here. He's a good guy, just needs to get his shit together.
>>
File: 1485670144150.png (281KB, 919x737px) Image search: [Google]
1485670144150.png
281KB, 919x737px
>>1277764
>>1279538

Californian here. Literally the worst places to visit.

>Fucking transient stop farmlands.

>Not Lodi, Napa, Santa Cruz, Solvang, Monterey.
>>
>>1277117

Essex. Specifically, Grays. Even the locals called it a shithole. Street drunks in the Main Street at 9am. Constant abuse, druggos, the lot. The people there are scum.
>>
I have seen this thread pop up before and variants of it in /int/ and it seems that 99% of the earth is a depressing shithole, which is pretty sad, and means there is no escape either.
>>
>>1279780
Sorry you had to witness that, anon. Sounds like a truly depressing experience that stays with you. You're right about people being deluded over the pure Eastern European maiden meme, it's from /pol/ I imagine. They don't realize that in situations like that sex and marriage are almost entirely transactional for the women.

>>1279783
They're referring to the collapse of the Soviet Union long before you were born. As shitty as it was from a Western perspective, many people in Eastern Europe look back on communism as a period of stability and relative security.
>>
>>1277983
>LA
That's way more West than anyone needs.
>>
>>1278099
This. Also Ft. Smith, Clarksville, Subiaco, and pretty much the whole of Arkansas.
>>
>>1279780
>picking up uneducated cuties in the former USSR
I could stand to hear a little bit more about this. When did you go? I thought that era was long over.

Do you still have her number, and was she cute?
>>
Manchester, UK. I stayed in the suburbs around the so-called Curry Mile which are just endless rows of raw red brick houses, all joined together, all with the same little front yard and the same motif on window tents. It was maddening.
>>
Cranbourne, Victoria, Australia.
Total shithole where every kid has a kid.
>>
Bratislava. Besides the city center which you can cover in 10 minutes everything is commieblocks and grumpy Eastern European-looking people
>>
>>1279953

Samefag here. Pristina is also pretty shitty, but at least it has the novelty of being Kosovo
>>
>>1279922
i've been manchester twice and its a great city. stayed in salford quays and near the east town, great night out as well.
>>
>>1279922
manchester's centre is nice, the curry mile is the only real bad part.
>>
>>1277117
san francisco. full of willing sacrafices to the gods of hedonism and false progress.
>>
>>1279909
>being this thirsty
>>
>>1279942
That's about as "bogan" an Aussie suburb as you could imagine, but even those welfare dependent stoner teenage mothers have a better quality of life than 90% of the rest of humanity.

t. Lucky County.
>>
>>1279722

>mobility scooter

They're called "Rascals", I think
>>
Gary, Indiana is absolutely disgusting. Moraine, Ohio is pretty sad, too, and the river smells like shit (literally).
>>
Port Talbot. I'd rather die than live there
>>
However nice a city like Florence is when you're seeing the 4 things that seem important, it doesn't matter when you have so many mosquito bites that you look like you have mild leprosy.
>>
The most depressing place for me is Reno, by far. It's dirty, old, and full of people gambling away their lives in smoky defunct hotels. I actually live in Vegas, and it depresses me.

My second is a little weird, but it's my only true view of what it's like to be stuck in a small town in middle America. I remember going to visit my old friend Mitch in Red Oak, Nebraska. There was nothing better to do than play video games, his friends were struggling to find excitement in a world that had little-to-none, and we went to the largest movie theater I've ever seen. That's where my friend's friend, the self-proclaimed "second coolest guy in school now that Mitch showed up," pointed in a direction, and matter-of-factly proclaimed "see that Anon, I'm gonna fuck that midget." He meant it. I'll never go back, but I'll never forget it.
>>
>>1280218
Vegas is very underrated, imo. I was very disappointed when I went. Seems like a great place if you're really into hookers or gambling or you're an underaged kid with a fake id. I felt a very weird ominous feeling the whole time I was there, like I was surrounded by evil that I couldn't see.

So did he fuck the midget?
>>
>>1280224

Vegas is amazing. I think its reputation is a little more intense than the city as a whole deserves - especially in the suburbs. Did you mean overrated? This city's resorts are insanely spectacular, and the food is unparalleled for what originally was a desert outpost built on gambling and cheap all-you-can-eat buffets, but it's just not that.

Hookers aren't legal in Vegas (although I know you can "get someone to the room" from those cards on the Strip), and your fake ID is going to get blown out of the water fast, unless you decide you're drinking in a dubious shitty bar somewhere.

Honestly, he said he fucked the midget, but we don't believe he did.
>>
All of the Basilicata. The rest of Europe feels very fucking far away. They say malaria has been eradicated there by now, but I don't buy it.
>>
Had to change trains in western Romania. 2 am at night it was and I had to wait 2 hours or so.
It was some village where several hobos and alcoholics just slept in the dirty ruins of the railway station. You could practically smell the unemployment and despair from the village.
>>
poor regions and middle America make me more depressed then the poorest regions in Europe. Wisconsin, Indiana, Tennessee.
>>
>>1279734
I would sometime drive through Cumberland on my way to DC, and that place is just so sleepy and depressing, the only thing that I saw that seemed to have any life was the new Chick Fil A and a new Sheetz that opened recently

The terrain around it is beautiful though, such a shame there's no bullet train to DC or it would be a viable commuter city
>>
>>1277117
>>1277130
East Liverpool, Ohio.
>>
>>1277117
>I stayed overnight in a dinky little town in southern Indiana and swore it was hopelessness incarnate

try living there for a decade =(
>>
Ehhh. Been to a lot of places, but Amherst, NS was one of the worst. It's a pretty big hub that supplies other smaller towns in the area, but in the drive in from Moncton, there were just streets of abandoned store fronts and hotels leading into the town proper. Shitty little vape shops trying to scratch by, poor roadwork, aimless teens with nothing to do but drink and fuck and do drugs.

Legit partied with my friend's midget cousin who said that people from Amherst weren't afraid to die because they just didn't care. Saw a dude beat a porcupine to death with a hatchet just because it was there. Same guy shot a fucking squirrel out of the window while I was eating my breakfast. Had to beat that to death with a mallet since he hit it's spine. Got drunk in an ancient sugar refining shack in the middle of the woods and legit passed out on the floor. Also got to watch some random man standing by a burning Christmas tree in the middle of a field. The whole place was like Apocalypse Now or the fucking Children of the Corn.
>>
Regionally, I'd have to say the Central Valley and Inland Empire in California, even without considering the shit that's been happening in San Bernardino.

Outside the US (I've mostly just been to Europe), Paris was pretty big shock; that city has an unsurprisingly glamorous reputation, yet it's anything but.

Milano at night was a bit jarring too, but that wasn't surprising given the increasing number of refugees in the country as a whole.
>>
File: kouvola.jpg (12KB, 256x197px) Image search: [Google]
kouvola.jpg
12KB, 256x197px
Kouvola,Finland.

Even the shittiest parts in Estonia could not compare and some places in Russia.
>>
>>1279729
>Ciudad del Este (the largest city)

The capital, Asunción, is the largest city in Paraguay.

Otherwise, you're spot-on.
>>
File: NancySirkis9749782935.jpg (171KB, 900x364px) Image search: [Google]
NancySirkis9749782935.jpg
171KB, 900x364px
All of the rural south is depressing, but if I had to pick one state I would say Alabama. I visited my uncle's town in east AL and there was fucking nothing. Everyone was an uneducated redneck and half of them were methheads.

It's hard to explain what it's like to someone who's never been there, but it's probably one of the worst areas in the country. There's no natural beauty, everything is either the same shitty generic woods or farmland. There's nothing to do there besides drugs or hick hobbies like mudding. The people are insufferable bigots. The only reason anyone lives there is because they're too poor or stupid to get out.
>>
>>1277117
Hospital in Budapest.

I wasn't a patient. A drunk MRI technician I was with insisted I go check it out with him as he had a keycard to get in that evening. I stupidly followed and he wasn't bullshitting, I thought we were just going to another bar, walked in and saw some sadness, noped the fuck out of there and ran out leaving that nutter to drunkenly wander around a hospital.
>>
>>1277117
howard city or cadillac MI.
really, MI is full of small, boring places.
Cadillac is mostly a huge parking lot with walmart, meijer (MI grocery chain) and some fast food chains sharing it.

howard city is some flat grass with houses intermittently.
>>
>>1282341

You have to find a way to leave, man. Join the Navy, do some charity work, seek employment elsewhere... Whatever you do, get out of that placr!
>>
>>1282855

>The only reason anyone lives there is because they're too poor or stupid to get out

That seems like that's the case for a lot of these dumps
>>
>>1279830

Not every girl from Eastern Europe is poverty stricken and desperate you dumb tankie.
>>
>>1277117
Visiting my aunt who was well on In her dementia. It was a sad state run hospital just outside Brno in the Czech Republic. Ugh never again
>>
>>1283415
Of course they're not, the point is that the /pol/ meme of pure and traditional Christian girls from Eastern Europe is not accurate. And Belarus is very different from the EU member states in Eastern Europe.
>>
i was in murmansk in the winter. i stayed for only 2 days but holy shit that city will kill you.
>>
File: 20170717_204311.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170717_204311.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>1279518
but the comfiest pub. but everything else in that city is depressing
>>
Eureka, California
>>
>>1279922
Spent new years in Manchester with some friends this year. All was well until I left in a dodgy taxi which dropped me at a cash point in the area you are describing. I was quickly mugged by some black gang who clearly had some drug issues. Shit was terrifying.
>>
>>1282350

What the fuck kind of town is that? Did everyone live beneath power lines or near some sort of toxic waste dump?
>>
Literally everywhere in American that isn't a city, state capital, or wilderness.

>>1279780
wow
>>
Glasgow

I have said it before, but it is a terrible place and the stereotypes are all true. It's made even more depressing by the presence of some lovely buildings from the 19th century. It's like there was a great city there once, which was ruined in some disaster, and the survivors have crawled into the ruins and failed to rebuild.
>>
>>1284502
>Literally everywhere in American that isn't a city, state capital, or wilderness.
x1000

suburban and small town america is fucking disgustingly depressing.
>>
File: image.png (5KB, 217x232px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
5KB, 217x232px
>>1284551
>never been to a Texas small town
>has opinions on small town life
>>
>>1284495

Closest I can figure is that it's a town that you either leave forever or you never leave. A lot of the guys and girls my age there will never go to university or hold much more than an average job. It's just straight fucking sad. Towns like that are where you get out right after high school or you put down roots. Buddy's younger female cousin who was like just 16 or 17 got involved with like a 25 year old, moved in with him in a different town and dropped out. Also had his other cousin die in an ATV roll over accident.
>>
Koln.
It felt like the incarnation of one of those depressing pseudo-intellectual european movies.
>>
>>1284584
>It felt like the incarnation of one of those depressing pseudo-intellectual european movies.
Considering how you phrased that, it sounds like it would be your kind of city.
>>
>>1284670
Sure thing, Hans
>>
>>1279942
>Cranbourne, Victoria, Australia.

Wasn't expecting this. Cranbourne might not be as pretty as inner city/heritage Melbourne but it literally shits on most middle and even upper class suburbs in other Western countries.

Kind of annoys me that the degenerates who are stuck out there in whoop whoop are more focused on buying their next pack of cigs than actually creating (and appreciating) a community that was created by the government with decent urban planners and not developers with generic homogenous homes.

Anyway, for those curious, Melton is the worst place in Melbourne. A failed satellite city now filled with immigrant sudanese fighting bogans.

Also for my response to this thread: Cancun. Fuck me that city is 95% hideous and the hotels do a good job of hiding you from it all.
>>
>>1284705
Another Melbourne bro here, I would say Numurkah is the worse place within Australia that I've experienced. Used to have the highest teen suicide rate in Australia for a reason.

Smells like conola oil burning all the time, which isn't pleasent and the town is full of meth heads and kids who have given up completely on any aspirations that they may of had. I'm not from Numurkah, just spent a lot of time there growing up. Numurkah isn't even pretty. There's no natural beauty to that town.

Outside of Australia, I would say Rome. Such a disgusting disappointment.
Thread posts: 101
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.