[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm considering moving to San Francisco for my first job

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1472192124091.gif (536KB, 185x164px) Image search: [Google]
1472192124091.gif
536KB, 185x164px
I'm considering moving to San Francisco for my first job since graduating. I worked there as an intern a couple years ago and had a mixed feeling about it. On one hand, the company was amazing, I was given a lot of opportunity to learn and grow in such a short time, but on the other hand, the logistics of living in that area sucked.

I would spend over an hour of commute time to get there living in a $900/month room, and once during an errand I was physically assaulted by a hobo. I hate the hobos. They're fucking everywhere over there.

I'm striking out here in Sacramento, and the company and job seem great over in SF, but I just have too many hang ups about it.

Any advice from natives or others in a similar situation?

Pic related is how I feel when walking the SF streets and riding BART. SO many fucking tents and loud drug addicts all over the god damned place.
>>
>>1273310
Are you allowed to taze or pepperspray drugbums that are attack you or are they considered a protected species in Frisco?

I know leftists hate self-defense and often make it illegal.
>>
>>1273311
No idea, I was carrying a metal pipe with me for comparison to a hardware store. Ran away since he seemed to have a group of friends with him. Wish I could have bashed him in. Everyone there seems to have a chill attitude about them, even the coworker I was with said he'd never seen that happen before.
I would say that I could taze/pepper spray if needed as far I know, which is not much about this city. co workers talked about carrying such things.
>>
You'll need to weigh the pros and cons. I'm an SF native and I'm conflicted about staying here.

On the one hand, the job market is nice.

On the other hand, there are a shitload of cons.

1) It's expensive as fuck. I'm sure you're aware of this. My ex had a nice one bedroom in Sac she was paying $900 for. Pretty sure you can't find anything under $2000 in a non-crackhead-infested neighborhood (and it'll be a studio).
2) The weather is fucking terrible. Seriously. It's been high 50s/low 60s the last few weeks per usual, and it's making me want to kill myself.
3) Dating here is the worst(unless you're gay). Be prepared to grovel to get a date with a chubby bitch who's a 3 who thinks she's 9 cause she lives in the Bay, where the dude to girl ratio is like 5:1.
4) Bums. Bums everywhere. Fuck I hate bums.
5) Fuck this place. I should probably move to San Diego or something.
>>
>>1273323
>there are a shitload of cons
Yep.
I have a friends who started out there a while back and they're coming back to Sac. One of them is offering me a $600 room at his newly built house.

I feel like I might regret it though, not going for the job. It's at the forefront of my industry of interest, and there's even more companys around it that are at the forefront as well. I have built up a good network there, but I also have a good one in Sac, and I know it's just a matter of time until I get a job here. I might have to make my own job though.
I have two places that could potentially offer me a job after I volunteer for them after a couple months, but... I dont know.

I just found a $500 room in Treasure Island though... I don't know what to think.

I like isolation, I hate bums and libtards.

I'll keep at my pro and cons lists I guess. Maybe try to find a way to go remote for these guys although its unlikely.
>>
>>1273323
>On the one hand, the job market is nice. I know this is a dumb question but where does one go to find a job? I can't just ask every company that I know of I'd like to go to someplace where I know they are actively seeking applicants. What are your experiences with this?
>>
>>1273328
I'm not trying to dissuade you, but just be aware that there are lots of downsides. Oh I forgot to mention - everyone here is an insufferable ultra liberal PC fucktard.

If it's for a job, then maybe go for it? I dunno. On the other hand, even if you have a good job, you'll never be able to afford property here.

I make over $150k and I live with my parents :(
>>
>>1273331
Post your resume on monster/dice/linkedin/etc.
>>
>>1273332
At the most I might be expecting 50k haha.
It was surprisingly pretty cool at this company, very bro culture when I was there. They've grown and changed a lot since though. More females and non-whites employed.
>>
>>1273331
I found this internship by going to a conference. I just struck up a convo with the patent agent and I was hired a month later, no application or interview.
>>
>>1273344
Can you please tell me which conference it would mean so much?
>>
>>1273351
it wasn't a general job fair, just an annual meeting for a certain industry. You can find that for any profession of interest you have. Get involved with the community and you might get lucky.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.