[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's it honestly like to live in California? I feel like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 144
Thread images: 17

What's it honestly like to live in California?

I feel like for me personally it's the perfect place to live. It seems like a dream place to live. Amazing weather, amazing scenery and nature.

Anyone here live or has lived in California?

I'm planning a road trip from southern California up to San Francisco in September.
>>
Scenery and nature really doesn't make you happy in the end, anon. You get used to it in a few weeks and then after that you forget that you're surrounded by gorgeous mountains.

What makes a difference is the people around you, your friends, your family. And people in Southern California as well as San Francisco are some of the shittiest in the country.

SoCal is crazy materialistic and superficial.

SF is a tech monoculture filled with some of the biggest techie douchebags you could imagine.
>>
>>1272679
I currently live in Toronto and a lot of the people that live downtown here are insanely superficial. I'm assuming it's even worse in LA then.
>>
>>1272679
>you forget that you're surrounded by gorgeous mountains
i've lived here since i was born and i haven't
>38,000,000 people and they're all terrible
there are regionally dominant types of people, but everywhere you go some are bad and some are good.
>>
I live in the south bay, 5th generation Los Angelino, born and raised. people used to be able to make a living here delivering milk door to door, or running a small mom and pop market on the corner of the neighborhood. now the people who move here are usually the superficial ones with money to throw around at shopping malls and in general creating a crazy anti renters market. they come from all over the world and cut the throats of the locals, bidding. the beach bum crowd are the real people who love their home, enjoy it for what it is and take advantage of our free natural surroundings instead of making it a shopping mall or something else, and will stick it out no matter the price. my parents tell me of a time when they were able to skate down the middle of PCH without seeing a single car. they recall the area I live in now used to be a lemon tree orchard. now it's apartments on apartments with nowhere to park.
>>
File: 1498880963736.jpg (474KB, 2469x1389px) Image search: [Google]
1498880963736.jpg
474KB, 2469x1389px
>>1272674
Depends on what exactly you are looking for if you are willing to elaborate.
What kind of nature do you like? We have mountains, coast, The Redwoods, the oak savanna, chaparral, and deserts. Each on kinda offers a different California.

Also, nature is all well and good but you also have to consider what type of town you want to live in. As far as cities you have a choice between the Bay area and Greater Angeles if you like mega-city living. We also have moderately sized cities which are surprisingly calm like Sacramento or Riverside which I would describe as Portland esque(only not as dirty and not stuck up their own ass). As far as small towns you run the gamut of Appalachian towns complete with Gadsden Flags, to Midwest type places in the central valley and Owens valley, to old hippy holdouts like the north coast and lake Tahoe, mountain resort areas, and Nappa Valley which is pretty much Italy. This is just an overview, but I can elaborate more if you want.

Culturally some areas are more Hispanic and some are more Asian while others are more "american". This is especially important as far as food is concerned.

>>1272679
SoCal is crazy materialistic and superficial.
DESU I take a bit of offense to this stereotype. Most of the materialistic/superficial people are transplants or tourists from out of state, and most people who were born here got sick of it a long time ago. It is also pretty localized to the Hollywood/Bel Air/ Santa Monica/Desert Resorts area and desu isn't particularly bad by american standards. Once you leave the tourist areas things become a lot more even keel.
>>
File: 920x920.jpg (111KB, 920x525px) Image search: [Google]
920x920.jpg
111KB, 920x525px
>>1273101
>>1272741
This reminds me of all those Texans and others who claim "Californians" are flooding in and ruining their state. Though after looking at the numbers it isn't actually that much and these transplants are pretty inconsistently characterized, it honestly reeks of right wing memeing. They like to get on a soapbox and scream about these transplants, but they have no idea how deep the rabbit hole goes. California had everything that made it good ripped from it by transplants and foreigners. I can only feel contempt for the Americans who were perfectly fine with flooding and ruining California and now that the locusts have picked us clean and moved on, everyone decides to act like a little bitch about it.
>>
I live in Napa, and have been all over the state by now. It's expensive living here (especially the Valley). That being said this state is top tier in terms of what's around, places to go, and is diverse as hell. (take that how you will.)
>>
>>1272674
Forgot Cali. Come to Idaho. It's a mini California with the 4 seasons. There are more Californians resettling up here every year. In some places it is like Mayberry from The Andy Griffith Show.
>>
>>1273158
You can't have California without the beach.
>>
>>1272674
I was born and raised in Cali, but i now live in FL. I honestly love northern California and miss it, but i think that Florida is much better than southern CA
>>
>>1272679
Thid is something a person who never actually spent time in California would say.

I'm not saying California is the greatest or anything, but these are the lamest most stereotypical criticisms that anyone could come up with.
>>
>>1273158
>mini California
>no coast and full of right wing gun freaks

Yeah no
>>
>>1273432
How do?
>>
>>1273450
> right wing gun freaks

Top kek go to southern Cali you'll fit right in with your limp wristed vain mentality
>>
If you're white and looking for Asian pussy you're in luck! It's so freaking easy here. Asian girls worship white guys it's like a cult
>>
>>1272674
Hey mang first time on /trv/ due to me being bored and I'm Mexican but I would only recommend moving here if you're a wealthy or rich individual here because if you're planning on moving here on minimum wage you're going to have a bad time and don't bother coming here if
>you're progun
>like cars or modifiy them
>hate Mexicans or other races that are not white
And remember the closer you are to Mexico the more it's going to suck to live there. But there is some towns that are really nice though
>>
>>1272674
Los Angeles is a shithole, I live comfortably 2 hours away even though it should be 30 min.
Stick to the smaller/less ghetto cities if you intend to stay, I live in Garden Grove and its not bad. Aneheim is pricey because of Disney Land, plus its 30 minutes in every direction of anywhere you need to go besides north because fuck LA. San Diego is legit and only is 130 away and theres comic con, beaches are badass. Move here bro what are you waiting for.
>>
california is p amazing. i'm from the inland empire unfortunately which is basically a timecapsule of like middle america 20 years ago - its a weird ass mish mash of white trash, criminals, welfare suckers and new money shit.

however i live in isla vista now for school - it's literally heaven on earth. everyone is 18-24, literally no adults around, just a square mile of beautiful people and scenery, the beach is less than a 5 minute walk from my apartment, literally i'm 3 blocks away
>>
>>1273555
This. Plenty of ABCs that want to underline the A and feel hooking up with a white guy and making more Eliots will help do that.
>>
>>1273544
Exactly. Which is why Idaho isn't comparable to California. Thanks for making my point.
>>
>>1273754
UCSB?
>>
>>1272674
If you aren't making $700k+ then you'll have a terrible time
>>
>>1273754
Waddup Gaucho.

IV is nice on the surface, but do consider how fucking expensive the housing is and how many thieves there are. No big deal when you're a college student but would not recommend for anyone older.
>>
>>1274094
Vastly exaggerated, but good point. If you don't want to live in dindu land or the middle of nowhere, you need to have a job netting you 6 figures. Think 100k middle class and 200k comfy.
>>
>>1274093
yezir, halfway done.
>>1274610
yeah, i got shafted pretty bad on rent last year, this year will be better though. it definitely is a once in a lifetime thing - IV doesnt make much sense for anyone besides full time students. i'm only 20 now, the next two years will give me my fill and i'll be tuckered out and ready for the real world
>>
3rd generation san diegan

it's a fucking shithole and i hope we get nuked
>>
>>1273134
Which valley?
>>
>>1273555
What if im brown
>>
>>1276083
Nope, they only want whites. Super white too.
>>
File: Snapchat-5490367345394765827.jpg (980KB, 1440x2392px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-5490367345394765827.jpg
980KB, 1440x2392px
Good thread. Im moving for college next year ( film school) any things i should look out for? Ive been to LA once for a few days before and i noticed the traffic is probably the worst i have ever seen.
>>
>>1276105
Yes, drop out with your film bullshit or study something useful.

Jesus you millennial fucks are dumb as bricks
>>
>>1276105
ucla or usc? if calarts let me be your friend (i dont go there i want cooler friends)
>>
>>1276184
USC
>>
>>1272674
When you become a Californian citizen their bloated government awards you with a bong, and convertible car with a complimentary Asian girl in the passenger seat, she will suck your cock while you blaze dat shit.
>>
File: Bale_oooh.jpg (11KB, 320x272px) Image search: [Google]
Bale_oooh.jpg
11KB, 320x272px
>>1276666
Well quads don't lie so I can only assume I don't remember this ceremony since I'm Californian by birth. I wonder if I got it sucked before or after my parents chopped my dick up?

I'm from the central valley, central valley is shit but the cost of living is pretty decent. You can actually do pretty well here with a minimum wage job since the minimum wage is set to be for the more expensive parts of California. The pollution and heat are awful though. Thankfully I'm only a few hours drive from LA, SF, mountains, and the beach.
>>
>>1276518
ok i gotchu, i have many more friends at ucla than at usc and the schools are hella different. my cousin is at usc. she's an acting major - i'm assuming your film major is not acting.

basically, most of what i'd heard about the school (before i applied) was purporting that the "uni of spoiled children" stereotype wasnt true anymore and all that. judging only by my friends' and cousin's snapchats it's still very true. so unless you are a personality-less rich kid don't join a fraternity. literally most nights a week are parties around DTLA and getting drunk and looking really good. cousin is in hawaii rn with her friends just partying. i bet it's actually super dope, it just seems from the outside like the whole crowd chooses their friends based on how they'll look in pictures and whether or not they can afford to fly to nyc for the weekend. you can chalk it up to jealousy if you want. just a different lifestyle really - i'm a spoiled college kid living it up too but at least i'm not overly opulent and shallow.

it's probably that my view is biased because i look only through the lens of my sorority friends' stories. greek life at ucsb is like that too and i'm sure can seem overbearing. just find your crowd, hit up the radio station or something if you need to find kids to get along with. it'll probably be easier since the other kids in your major will be cool.

oh yeah, LA in general. public transport is fine but it's no subway system. trains and buses aren't super frequent and are packed during rush hour times (obviously). i love the city despite its traffic and enumerable inconveniences. the shopping is great if you're into that thing. so many good galleries and museums not far from you, too.

look out for scammers on street corners. i assume you know all this if youre on trv and have been around a bit. just ignore all the dudes with cd's and whatnot. avoid all the tourist traps too - well do them once then don't go back (generally).
>>
>>1276765
Thank you very much for this post :)
>>
>>1272674

My wife went to grad school in LA and regretted it. It was expensive, traffic was horrible, and the people were rude. She is very conservative, so the general liberal culture didn't help either. One of the rare cases where liberal indoctrination backfired.

Still, she said the weather was great. I'd imagine if you had a good paying job it would be great. I just can't imagine raising a family and owning a home unless you are middle class.
>>
>>1272679
>What makes a difference is the people around you, your friends, your family.
This is probably the truest thing that can be said about anywhere where you live.

>>1273101
To be fair about SoCal's materialism and superficiality, it is FAR stronger a phenomenon here than in most parts of the country. Something about living in a place where you can show off anything you want in the sun 345 out 365 days of the year seems to have an effect.

I've grown up and lived in conservative elements of Orange County my whole life, and I've worked in Los Angeles for 18, nearly 19 years. Only thing that keeps me here is friends and family. Other than that, I fantasize about moving to Oregon or Colorado after I retire.

>>1273443
California has TONS of wonderful bits and pieces to it that often get overlooked and drowned out by all the stereotypical shittiness, however that anon didn't list stereotypes that are out of reason. Only thing I'd add to the "tech" douchbags is ANY high-paid service industry in California, which is a shit load.
>>
>>1276105
If you're going to USC, then just have some general situation awareness. Violent crime is not unheard of near the USC campus, although it is generally the "best" area to be walking around in for South Central LA. It's a LOT better now than when I worked a patrol beat there 10+ years ago as a LAPD FTO.

Also life in SoCal is easier if you have a reliable car. I know Uber can be used for local missions, however why not make all of SoCal your oyster?
>>
>>1273754
I live and work in riverside right now and am looking to move, should I go near the oc or near pomona? (I can afford both)
>>
>>1273158
>No Yosmite National Park
>No Big Sur
>No Sequioa National Park
>No beaches

kys
>>
>>1277378
Ayy im in riverside too this place sucks dick
>>
So Cal south bay born and raised here.

I come from straight out of yuppie town about 15 minutes south of LAX from a little surf town called Manhattan Beach. You've heard of Beverly Hills? Beverly Hills is full of the people who aren't rich and yuppie enough to live in Manhattan Beach. It's that yuppie.

I was born here though, and have 3 generations of roots from the time before the yups. My parents are nurses and construction contractors, the whole family is strictly blue collar, we'd never be allowed in this town if we weren't already grandfathered in with our roots.

The truth about So Cal is that there are a lot of shithead yuppie assholes. I know, I live with the worst of them. But there's chill as fuck local surf rats too. You just have to know who is who and avoid the materialistic rich pricks. All the mexicans, stoner skater/surfer burnouts and little immigrant communities are actually chill as fuck. If you hang around Venice Beach, you'll either get hit up for weed or offered it.

The thing about yuppies and California is that most yuppies aren't local. They're the rich and pretty assholes from the rest of the country that moved to California because they thought California was the place to be, so they're stuck in their little dickhead designer purse version of what think the state is supposed to be like and they have no chill.

Also, for fucks sake, DO NOT roadtrip to San Francisco. Take a Greyhound or the Coast Starlight on Amtrak. I drove up to SF to see some friends and go to a concert last month and parking in SF is the only place on Earth where parking is worse than LA. You cannot drive in SF as a vagabond, you need to know a local that has a permit that they can let you borrow in order to be able to park anywhere.
>>
>>1273450
>owns gun
>oh my gawd what a right wing radical gun nut who masturbates to gun violence
Fuck off
>>
>>1272679
That second paragraph sums it all up, the only non shitty Californians i know, grew up somewhere different, I think most people in california feel superior to all other states and everyone around them thinks the same thing so no one ever tells them that california is no better than idaho or any other state
>but muh weather, national parks, wine
California will never have food and culture like the south, mountains like the rockies, and nice winter charm of the north(excluding Northern Cali, but everyone seems to ignore it)
>>
>>1277405
>California will never have food and culture like the south, mountains like the rockies, and nice winter charm of the north(excluding Northern Cali, but everyone seems to ignore it)

Bruh until you've had a fuckin Korean barbecue burrito off of a fusion food truck you have never actually tasted food or known culture.

It's like a tortilla full of lesbian angels having an orgy on your tongue and they're all hot tattooed asian and latina chicks with cute little bald perma-wet pussies dripping honey and sweet dreams.
>>
>>1277405
Hahahahahaha
>>
>>1272674
I'm not sure what do you mean by the amazing weather? South Cali is so fucking hot in the summer that no reasonable person can say that it would be labeled as amazing. How amazing is to live in 95F heat? Almost everywhere that is not on the coast you will most certainly wish you could move to the North Pole in the summer. Coastal cities/towns are either expensive as fuck, just for the benefit of the pacific breeze that cools down the air, or they are so remotely fucked up that you can reasonably expect to do anything but live alone and have nothing to do all day. Bay area is another thing entirely. Unless you have a good paying job it doesn't even make sense to consider let's say San Francisco. Both LA and SF are filled with different fucks. Techie douchebags versus standard gym-douchebags. Pick one you prefer faggot.
>>
>>1277378
How long of a commute are you looking to tolerate and what are you looking for in the neighborhood/community you want to live in?
>>
>>1277412
>Korean barbecue burrito off of a fusion food truck
Grew up in SoCal as a proud Korean American myself, I always thought these were a huge travesty. Glad it made its entrepreneurs tons of money though, good for them. Much better "fusion" practices than wrapping bulgogi in a tortilla with hype.

SoCal food culture derives on the fact that you can get a sample taste of just about any culture around the world, and chances are you can find a shining example that can replicate at least 90% of the world's best example of whatever that food is.

>>1277445
>South Cali is so fucking hot in the summer that no reasonable person can say that it would be labeled as amazing.
You and I both know that if you really were a SoCal native, it's about as easy to handle as ducking under some shade. The heat here is dry, tolerable, and SoCal has TONS of places where you can entertain yourself for free with tons of shade and/or air conditioning.
>>
File: image.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>1277412
>korean tacos
>culture
Bruh i had to learn french to talk to my fucking grandpa, and The food we eat is great, pretty much anything that moves we cook, i've had robin, grossbeck, nutria, and raw crawfish, plus the music in New Orleans is like none other, there are so many music bars playing every type of music, we even have a german brewery and beer hall. The way of life here is so different from anywhere else in the US and that's what makes a culture better, not korean tacos from a food truck, i could match you with talking about how good the pho is in New Orleans because of how many vietnamese there are, then I could beat you by talking about how some blacks work with the vietmanese to put a cajun twist on pho and it's godlike

Your culture is abou being white as fuck and thinking you are superior to everyone else
>>
>>1273738
>>1273754
>>1273814
Bakersfield FTW.
>>
In San Francisco bike (you can rent) from the Marina across the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito. Catch the ferry there back to SF Ferry Building pier. Nice.
>>
>>1277400
Oh my, same here anon. I'm quite tired of Riverside myself. But I stay for my dear Romano's.
>>
>>1277447
30-40 minutes, i want to be near good asian food.
>>
>>1277495
>long diatribe about your culture being superior to everyone else

"your culture is about [...] thinking you are superior to everyone else" -(You)
>>
>>1277412
this is possibly the gayest post ive read on this board
>>
>>1277715
You don't appreciate art. Fucking philistine.
>>
File: 1378879079696.png (810KB, 1532x417px) Image search: [Google]
1378879079696.png
810KB, 1532x417px
>>1277583
>Asian food
You might want to be more specific in case you have preferences for some exact dishes, however I think you'll be served juuust fine in the Pomona area, better yet try out Chino as well. Pomona is mostly ghetto, however if you live around the 71, or closer to Cal Poly Pomona, it's alright.

Diamond Bar and Rowland is nearby, so you'll have access to GREAT Chinese cuisine, and okay Korean cuisine (great supermarkets tho). If you decide to live in OC, due to the magic of the 57/60 interchange fucking everybody in the ass, you'll easily have a 60-90 min commute. Back in the day using the Carbon Canyon route was an acceptable way to bypass traffic for OC commuters working/going to school in the Inland Empire (I used to go to UCR over 20 years ago). Now it's a two-lane parking lot during rush hour.

>>1277495
As a Korean, I'm going to agree. Korean "tacos" are fucking sub-human tier garbage, and again I'm happy that the guys who initially came up with it and hustled the bulgogi-taco/burrito meme made their $$ and got out. But it is a TERRIBLE example of "culture".
>>
>>1272674
Depends on where. Weather is fine in most of it. Having lived in San Jose I don't have any problems with the people. Most of the time you don't interact with your neighbors or people much anyways. Everyone has their own shit to do. Real expensive though.
>>
>>1277737
What about the outskirts of the oc such as yorba Linda?

I really miss being able to go to mitsuwa, which is a major plus for living near the oc.

Then again even though I want to get the fuck out of riverside, should I just move near the university and save 500-600 on rent?
>>
>>1277975
>What about the outskirts of the oc such as yorba Linda?
That 91 fwy traffic might be the killer for you, and like I mentioned the Copper Canyon route from Brea/Yorba/Fuckerton used to be a viable shortcut, now its just as jam packed. If you have a job where its cool to show up or has a shift available at like 6 or 7 am, then it's a great, doable 30-40 min commute. Coming back with traffic? Another 10-20 mins won't kill 'ya. Protip: Get a car with stop and go capable adaptive cruise control as soon as you can, it'll make long commutes seem like a fraction of the hassle, easy enough to spark a stealth joint while driving all to yourself.

Virtually anything you can find at a Japanese market, you'll find a decent equivalent at a Korean one. Even without that, Nijiiya is relatively close in Rowland Heights.

>>1277975
>Then again even though I want to get the fuck out of riverside, should I just move near the university and save 500-600 on rent?
Do you spend more time with friends and family there or closer to the Orange Curtain? If you're making at least $5-6k plus a month and assuming you don't have huge bills, paying an additional $125 a week would be worth it to me to get the fuck out of Riverside.
>>
>>1278003
*Carbon Canyon, not Copper, sorry. That's a significant typo as both exist and are in Cali.
>>
>>1278003
Just took a drive to yorba, fuck that.
So basically I wanna be in the triangle made by cal poly pomona chino hills and diamond bar?
>>
LA born and raised here, and have spent most of my 31 years on the Hollywood/SFV border. (Aside from four years in Sac while my exgf went to college there, that place fucking sucks.)

It's a strange place. You'd expect such a diverse place to be a "melting pot," but instead it's surprisingly segregated, and not just on racial lines but on all kinds of niche group shit. Being here sucks if you don't neatly conform to some stereotype or other. Even "outcast" subcultures like metalheads will shun you if you're not exactly like them, and don't you dare try to cross the income/class gap.

The upside of being here is convenience and access, though. You can find any food you want, every "limited cities only" movie or concert comes here, you can run out to a specialty store and buy stuff you'd have to order online anywhere else, etc. If you can afford to be here and manage to have a group to belong to there's almost no reason to go anywhere else. Sadly those two things are pretty damn hard to pull off.

>>1273608
>like cars or modifiy them

I dunno if I'd say that. We have some shitty laws regarding engine mods, but I think we make up for it with an extremely active car culture and "support system." Tons of major aftermarket companies are local, there are dozens of good shops that specialize in modifying cars, meets and events for every kind of car, multiple racetracks within driving distance with events every weekend, and some of the best mountain roads in the world.
>>
>>1276765
Anon is right. Frat parties at USC are very insane. Famous people are involved in it too. Patrich Schwarzenegger drinks like crazy, Miranda Cosgrove is a coked out slut... "Uni of Spoiled Children" stereotype is absolutely true.
>>
>>1278156
Ah. I had a hunch the 91 would get you. I once had an experience YEARS ago where I went home from nearly 7 hours of classes (where I actually tried and cared) and I went home back to Fullerton. It took 3 hours because of traffic, and other cars blocking and clogging all the major surface routes west. Definitely scarred me, I still unconsciously choose 57/60 every time when I go to to the IE regardless of expected traffic time.

Add Chino to that list too, should be able to find decent prices for rent if Chino Hills doesn't work out.

>>1278174
>I dunno if I'd say that. We have some shitty laws regarding engine mods
CARB (Our own, pseudo-illegal EPA for California) is only enforced during emissions testing and VERY few companies outright refuse to sell you parts because you live here. Only the absolute worst dog shit cops will act on it, and even that's rare. Cars with open headers and muffler/cat deletes are the norm in the So Cal car scene.
>t. LAPD 18 years

>>1278545
>Frat parties at USC are very insane.
I HIGHLY doubt any college on the west coast ever came close to holding a candle to UC Santa Barbara in their hey day. USC/UCLA kids were pussies when it comes to frat and sorority parties. That Del Playa...
>>
>>1272674
the weather is overratted af. if you're further than 5 miles from the ocean you're basically in Phoenix or Phoenix-lite
>>
>>1278806
don't dis phoenix like that, our air and water is much cleaner
>>
>>1278807
in terms of temperature they're pretty much the same
>>
>>1272674
The land is some of the best in the country, if not on Earth. The culture is phenomenal, the food, the history, the access to art and music all top tier.

The laws are pretty much shit, unless it's about worker's rights. The people are shit, almost as a rule. It's too fucking expensive, even if you're clearing six figures. The only people who think California beaches are nice are people who have never been to a beach outside of California.

>>1272693
>38,000,000 people and they're all terrible
Yea, I spent 20 years there and they all pretty much are, especially the 20,000,000 or so who live in SoCal. Leave the state or maybe even the country, and then you can talk about how people are pretty crappy every where. The only places you find people even close to how shitty your average Californian is are in a handful of major cities, and even then you'd be hard pressed to find people as vapid, superficial, and self-centered. You're talking New York, Miami, part of New Jersey, and maybe Chicago. Part of the culture is to be a fuccboi, a yuppy, a bro, a wannabe hick, or a violent asshole, and that's just the whites. Don't even get me started on "LA RAZA!" spouting cholos who've never even seen Mexico, the Guatemalans and Hondurans who insist on operating gangs and trying to be thugs, or any of the other bullshit subcultures that spring up.

>>1273111
Bro, don't even get me started. Every time some assbackwards Texan asks me where I'm from and I tell them "originally California", you can see the change in their eyes and demeanor like I just told them I fucked their dog while their baby watched until I mentioned I'm a military-transplant, and then I'm suddenly a fucking saint.

That being said, I'll take a Texan over a Californian any day, as long as it's not on the roads. These people can't drive.
>>
>>1278820
Stop being hypocritical, if someone goes to california and says that they are originally from Mississippi, you can see the hatred growing, so stop pointing fingers

Also New Orleans probably has the best culture in the united states, not dissing california, but i just can't think of anything culture wise that surpasses good ole Nola, french is still widley spoken, best food on earth, music wise nola is phenomenal, great live bands are a dime a dozen, and hands down the most friendly and happy people you'll meet in the US, LA even at one point had the top 5 happiest cities, plus my grandpa is from a town like 30
Minutes out of new orleans and he looks for people who aren't from around here to show them around

I'm from Baton Rouge but still am in New orleans all the time due to it being ~40 minutes away
>>
>>1278545
you go to sc? if not, how to get into the parties? i have some dg friends but i'd feel decidedly uncool saying "can i tag along to your big girl parties"

>>1278565
ucsb anon here, this is true as hell

https://vimeo.com/27270945

even look up any vid of halloween or deltopia, everyone marvels at them but honestly theyre not far off from normal weekends here. any given night thursday-sunday DP is crawling with drunk kids and hot girls and cops and there's parties all over town, it's like walking down main st usa in disneyland midsummer, that's how busy it is. still some live bands, surf parties and ratchet parties and frat parties and basketball parties and jazz parties galore, it's amazing man.

especially within the hip art crowd, everyone knows each other. you can just go to a coffee shop and run into people you know and run into more as the sun sets, it's gotta be like paris's latin quarter in its heyday (thinking the sun also rises first half). tons of homeless and scary drugs too, i suppose, tons of hippies think theyre doing coke but theyre snorting meth and getting scabbed up. burnout rate is kind of high, which i guess is just a product of living away from mommy and daddy in paradise

/blogpost. home for summer and i miss it. not-so-secretly hoping my band hits it medium and i can finish up my degree in heaven and avoid a real job after
>>
>>1278545
>Miranda Cosgrove is a coked out slut
Are you talking about the iCarly actress? For real? Wow, who would have thought it. She looks so innocent and sweet.
>>
File: 6039785133_af98e1f724_b.jpg (549KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
6039785133_af98e1f724_b.jpg
549KB, 1024x768px
>>1277378
>>1277400
>>1277530
Riverside kinda sucks right now but I actually have high hopes for it and the IE in general. There are some good bones there that just need some meat on them. Riverside itself with its existing historic buildings and decent adherence to architectural standards, has a good starting point for evolving into an architecturally strong city. I heard that they are moving the main library away from its current location but haven't found a new spot yet. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that they at least try to build something architecturally beautiful hat shows that they have pride in what they do. I think that will tell if the city is willing to put the TLC into itself enough to make it good.

>>1277405
>>1277495
>>1278820
You people have to be some of the most hypocritical fucks on the internet. People are constantly talking about how "arrogant" and "self-important" Californians are but in this website which has high Californian user ship we never fucking see threads dissing anybody else or talking us up that much. Do you know who does talk themselves up? Its the Texans and Dixiefags who wont shut up about their superiority and how much better they are than Californians. You people do nothing but bitch about California but if we say so much as one word in response to your shitty attitude, suddenly were are arrogant elitists. As far as I have seen while traveling and on this site all the shit people from other states throw at California is just shit they are guilty of and are just projecting.

>>1278832
>Stop being hypocritical, if someone goes to california and says that they are originally from Mississippi, you can see the hatred growing, so stop pointing fingers
Bull shit. We have always been filled with people who came from everywhere Mississippi included. We don't have time to give even the remotest shit where you are from unless got to Berkeley which is uppity as hell. We have a lot of flaws but tribalism is not one of them.
>>
>>1277401
Born and raised in Hawthorne/Lawndale/Inglewood here. Spent most weekends biking the south bay beach path. Always dreamed about living in those neighborhoods some day. Are they really that xenophobic to outsiders?
>>
File: 1375459531793.jpg (69KB, 501x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1375459531793.jpg
69KB, 501x1000px
>>1279117
I'm not going to speak for NorCal because everyone from SoCal knows NorCal hellasucks.

So Cal, specifically the LA/OC/IE metroplex, is probably the largest, FREE (this one is important to understand for you foreigners), contiguous metropolitan sprawl in the entire world. Its easily the most "diverse" place on the planet. Few people in the US can really comprehend the mishmash of cultures, differences, and of course alliances here, and even most of us locals still find ourselves learning about our communities decades later.

Tribalism does occur on a rampant basis here, to deny that is just the consequence of not having been around or exploring enough. The fact that foreign "ghettos" (the original term) still exist where you can work, cohabitate, and live without ever having to learn English or cooperate with others outside your "tribe". At the same time, with so many people, there are TONS of us who inevitably and happily coexist, mingle, and grow with each other as well. Your personal attitude and culture determines your individual experience more than any external influence can, I think most of us can objectively agree on that.

>>1279121
My post above will probably answer your question best. If you're black, I hate to say it but you're going to be the eternal "miate" or kkam-deng to a lot of people. Just accept the uphill battle and whittle away, no reasonable person can hold onto prejudice on an individual forever.

Other than that, as long as your clothes fit you and you're not going around acting a fool, no one cares where you came from.
>>
>>1273443
As someone from Silicon Valley, >>1272679 is right.
>>
>>1279164
It's true that people do segregate to some degree but I have also seen a high degree of integration depending on the neighborhood. I think it depends on ones experience. I would also say that Californian tribalism is of a different character. People congregate in neighborhoods with similar people because it provides familiarity in an impersonal megacity, but are generally sincerely accepting of people outside the neighborhood. This isn't to say that fuckery doesn't sometimes occur, (we didn't have race riots in the 90s for nothing), buy you really can't avoid that with 38 million people. For example when my brother went up north to Merced for college he got involved with the Indian students who wound up becoming generally accepted throughout the town in a short time span. To contrast, my grandmother moved to Kansas 25 years ago and put everything she had into her town but they still treat her like an outcast. At first it may seem a factor of class but the acceptance of the Indians transferred over to our blue collar Republican cousins too. So, I find it hard to compare California tribalism (and coast states in general) with other states when we were willing to accept people from another continent and culture but other Americans won't even accept people who are supposed to be from the same country and put their blood and sweat into the community. We have tribalism to a degree but it is less strong by magnitudes.
>>
>>1272674
>I feel like for me personally it's the perfect place to live. It seems like a dream place to live.

Yeah, that's what everyone thinks.

Whatever you do, don't live in LA. Unless you like dealing with some of the worst traffic in the country.
>>
>>1272674
SF is mid-cal.
Don't forget to visit the north.
>>
>>1279164
>I'm not going to speak for NorCal because everyone from SoCal knows NorCal hellasucks.

You must be from a shitty part of SoCal. Nobody in LA gives a fuck about that rivalry bullshit, and the same goes for everybody I've known from the Bay Area, it's only dumbass bros from the IE or Sacramento or other irrelevant places who take it seriously. (Unless we're talking about sports, of course.)
>>
>>1279263
>You must be from a shitty part of SoCal. Nobody in LA gives a fuck about that rivalry bullshit, and the same goes for everybody I've known from the Bay Area, it's only dumbass bros from the IE or Sacramento or other irrelevant places who take it seriously. (Unless we're talking about sports, of course.)
The weird part of this is seeing other Americans try to egg on the rivalry or or get excited that California is "tearing itself apart" and try to make it a bigger deal than it is. Its like playing punches with your brother at a party and some drunk frat boys start chanting "Fight, fight, fight! Kick his pussy ass! Are you gonna take that!?!". It's just straight uncomfortable.
>>
>>1279263
>You must be from a shitty part of SoCal.
I keed, I keed. NorCal hellasucks has been tongue-in-cheek used since before you were born. Hence why the obvious blanket statement. Plenty of good things along the North 101, except San Francisco. SF needs a solid dose of bleach and chemo.

I'd say more snobbery than rivalry. You have Orange Curtain folks who regularly look down on the LA County bitches and vice versa. It's always been a fun "thing".
>>
>>1273555
trips dont lie
>>
>>1273450
Leftist gun nut here in los angeles
Guns are cool and I like them. Also they're perfect for killing capitalists during the revolution.
>>
>>1279121
I'm from the harbor city/Torrance/Pedro (pronounced per drouh) area. That area is great if you're a minority. PV is... ok with us but I wouldn't live there unless your Asian or Pacific islander.
>>
>>1279338
This guy. Harbor City, Torrance, and Pedro are all nice. The yups think they're hood, but they're not. They're perfectly fine. If you can handle Inglewood/Hawthorne/Lawndale then no big deal. I finished high school at Torrance high.

>>1279121
Bruh, I prolly went right by you on the strand a dozen times.

The problem isn't that their xenophobic, Nobody is gonna look down at you because you're from the Wood. The problem is you'll never afford it. I was born here and I can't afford it, if my folks didn't get a break on rent from our chill as fuck landlord I'd be in the Wood with you.

Back in the 60s-70s the south bay towns were burnout surf bungalow villages. You can still see it in some of the older places in Redondo and Hermosa, the towns used to be wall-to-wall head shops, tattoo parlors, and dive bars. Around the 80s and 90s though, the character of the south bay changed and the people buying houses started being guys like the Northrop Grumman and Raytheon defense contractor guys from their headquarters in El Segundo. Got some pro athletes in too, I went to school with Nolan Ryan's daughter. From there it only got more and more bourgeois.

You have to make a lot of money to live in that place now, and it's kind of a catch 22- Anyone who would be able to afford to live there should be smart enough to not want to live there, because they can live anywhere else and have it be cheaper.

So it's not so much that its xenophobia, it's just yups. They find a nice spot, buy up all the shit, and build big houses and open boutiques that sell candles and chick tshirts with jokes about drinking wine on them.
>>
>>1272674

Like literally every other major city, it blows when you are poor and is amazing when rich, arguably one of the best if you have money. California weather is terrible if you live in the valleys and amazing if you are by the coast. Expect 7 months of summer in the high 80's and about 4 months of spring/winter when the weather is actually fucking bearable. Tons of food options, shit tons of different people.
>>
>>1280375
>California weather is terrible if you live in the valleys and amazing if you are by the coast. Expect 7 months of summer in the high 80's and about 4 months of spring/winter when the weather is actually fucking bearable.
This. When people say California weather is great they are speaking in very relative terms. It's a burning rainless dust-bowl (at least in the south), but that's ok compared to the humid swelter of the east and car destroying/house burying snow. The weather isn't great, its just better in comparison.
>>
best place in cali to live to smoke weed and fuck a new asian chick every weekend? White 6'4" blond/blue eyes 80k salary... Coming from the southeast
>>
>>1280618
>best place in cali to live to smoke weed and fuck a new asian chick every weekend?

California in general is now weed friendly thanks to Prop 64. In fact, there are quite a few dispensaries that are now taking in customers without a recco.

As for Asian chick? You gotta be specific, because California is the biggest melting pot in the world. If you're ok with just banging easy Chinese and Flip/Southeast Asian chicks, then a good place to start is the San Gabriel Valley.

I honestly suggest you actually state some other priorities that are important to you in the neighborhood and community you decide to move to.
>>
>>1273754
I lived in Isla Vista and place is a fucking shithole, basically a student ghetto. Fucking drunk slutty college girls and house parties on every block at first sounds really nice and it is for a moment but it gets old real fast.

The rent is buttfuckingly overpriced for the conditions you live in, the beach is disgustingly dirty and the town has a lot of very ghetto shitheads who came for the "party college town" meme but don't even attend the school and are just here to get fucked up and waiting to gangrape drunk girls.

Get to downtown SB as soon as you had your fun.
>>
Does anyone have any opinions on San Diego? I'm moving there in a few months.
>>
>>1280716
It's a lot more chill and slower paced than the LA/OC area. Generally outskirts of San Diego and communities are excellent. La Jolla is for the financially blessed, but it has that "California lifestyle" glow to it and is probably one of the best representations of fantasy Cali life that most outsiders think about when it comes to So Cal.

Also if you're into it, the best strip club/red light district on the continent is literally a 20 min drive, and 10 min walk across the border to TJ.
>>
>>1280702
ucsb student? desu the ghetto is still amazing to me after 2 years and i miss it (though the shitheads bit is so right, generally can't stand the cc-ers for this reason, really the criminals in general. not so hard to avoid them though)
>>
>>1280697
These are the most important priorities, lol
>>
I'm a CT fag with nothing to lose, I've always had an urge to try and get into the LAPD. Would I be able to get by on about 40-50k or whatever the starting pay is?
>>
>>1277495
>culture is the food immigrants cook for you
>>
>>1281027
Starting pay for LAPD is in the high fifties, early sixties. To afford an apartment in living expenses in a non-shithole part of LA you'll be looking at a veeeery tight budget. Read this article: http://www.scpr.org/blogs/economy/2015/01/15/17806/la-residents-need-to-make-34-an-hour-to-afford-ave/
>>1280716
If you're into metropolitan areas, which I assume you are, the downtown San Diego skyline and area is much more impressive than downtown LA. San Diego has a lot of nice cultural spots to it though, if you're looking for something to do it's a nice place.
>>1280618
IMHO, San Francisco is far more openly stoner than Los Angeles, but pretty much any city in CA will be easy access to pot.
>New Asian chick every weekend
You mean like Koreans/Chinese/Japanese? Because Irvine.
>>
I'm gonna be visiting LA next weekend, first time i'll be doing any kind of traveling in years, anyone have recomendations for fun activities?
Nifty small restaurants that've been on the same corner for decades?
Interesting businesses that do tours?
Great museums?
All i know for certain is that we'll be going to see some band at some bar and some art exhibit.
>>
>>1281027
>>1281161
One of the top rules to advise by as a peace officer: You NEVER live in the same city/area you work in, if you can help it. Granted, LAPD has a gigantic jurisdiction footprint, however virtually all of us commute from surrounding LA County/OC towns.

I"m the guy who posted above, actually been in LAPD going on 18, nearly 19 years. If you're smart, you'll be applying to EVERY mega agency in Southern California because you never put all your eggs into one basket, get picked up and get your RBC POST Academy training, and then lateral the first chance you get after passing your probation. Don't be like me and stay stuck after too long, if I could re-do it again I would've done a lateral transfer to OC Sheriff's or work someplace that pays high and cush like Torrance PD, Newport PD, Pasadena, etc. Any of those departments offer virtually unlimited cash overtime and you have patrol groundpounders who pull in 140-180k a year easy (guess how many 4/10s and 3/12s run into double overtime because some asshole forces a hot-shot call at the end of your shift and things go south) If there is any "specific" reason you MUST/HAVE TO work LAPD, I can answer any questions for you.
>>
>>1276083
Thats gross. Why would you want to screw over your desendents by being the color of feces
>>
>>1281300
I don't HAVE to work LAPD, it just sort of has an "image" that appeals to me. Shit reason, I know. plus they have (or had) an expedited hiring process for out of state people like myself... I got burned out trying to get hired in CT because it took forever and always led nowhere (often times with no answer even), so becoming a cop went to the side burner for me. It seems like I'd have a better chance at getting on with an outfit like the LAPD though... maybe start a new life out west. Overall, do you think the job is worth the cross country move?
BTW how's the LA dating scene for 25 year old white bois?
>>
>ITT: we only talk about 2/3ds of the state
Jefferson when?
>>
>>1281265
it depends what you like to do and what kind of transport you have

>LA proper
chinatown is fun, full of food and crazy malls
get yourself a french dip from original philippe's, been there over 100 years
union station is super art-deco if u like buildings
>great museums
take your pick dude
>getty
>MOLAA
>vehicle museums errywhere
>>
>>1281453
Transport is a rental car
Preferred activities are not bars and preferably cheap so not Disneyland.
Philippe's and the getty sounds great and i know my dad will love the car museums.
>>
>>1281449
Fuck off Texas, we talk about the North all the time.
>>
File: 1327957443922.jpg (8KB, 300x226px) Image search: [Google]
1327957443922.jpg
8KB, 300x226px
>>1281416
It's not a shit reason. Believe it or not I joined for similar superficial reasons. Heard too many cool stories from acquaintances about the life and watched Lethal Weapon and Heat too many times . It took about six years of growing up on the job for me to really understand the purpose I had to fulfill in my career.

If being a lawman is what you want and aspire, LAPD is a great start. You will be challenged with the type of work that is unmatched in the country. I know quite a few officers who've happily moved from across the country. One of the guys I graduated Elysian Park with was from Massachusetts and had brothers, sisters, and other relatives who were in the State Police there, and he had his own dreamy ambitions of being the rock star LAPD cop in his family.

If you're a young, clean cut 25 year old white kid and you're not a complete social shitheel, you'll be drowning in badge bunny pussy if you go LEO.
>>
File: turman-jpg.jpg (52KB, 375x500px) Image search: [Google]
turman-jpg.jpg
52KB, 375x500px
>>1281479
>literally talk about nothing above the wall
one word: hyampom
>mfw y'all can't even into no-test counties
t. /o/
>>
File: 2016-09-23.jpg (68KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
2016-09-23.jpg
68KB, 540x540px
>>1281468
>philippe's
get a double dip; u need to bump for that sauce
>>
>>1281609

Thanks LAPD bro. Any housing advice for the academy/starting out should things ever work out? Also, do you think the LAPD has a better quality of life compared to NYPD? NYPD is closer to home and also mass hires (and I sort of like NYC), but I'd rather not be stuck in the Bronx and have to spend most of my salary on renting a rat infested closet

Only slightly a social shitheel, by the way. I am posting on a Vietnamese fishing forum, after all.
>>
>>1277412
Please don't compare CA Korean fusion food trucks to southern cuisine. Korean southern fusion bbq from GA is far superior.

Also what is up with ticket times for restaurants in LA? There is no hustle back of the house, it's embarrassing.
>>
>>1281809
Would not recommend LAPD. If you want a taste of SoCal life, and would like to be a LEO, then consider San Diego instead. It''s essentially LA light. Most of the crazy shit happens in LA. You'll mostly deal with domestic disturbances and drug shit here. Homicides aren't as plentiful. I don't know if you truly appreciate how much of a shitfuck LAPD work will be. Just watch that long take scene from True Detective. Re-watch training day. Are you really sure, that your honky ass is ready to enter some LA Barrio at 2 a.m.? Nothing you've experienced in CT will remotely prepare you for the type of shit that goes down in LA. Seriously consider SD or OC (much more expensive tho) over LA. Don't get PTSD or killed over your stupid fantasy of being some hardened LAPD badass. There's no glory in being the garbage man for the human waste, of one of the countries largest cities.
>>
>>1281468
>has a rental car
this opens up pretty much everything south of barstow as a possible day trip with about 6-8 hours driving round trip max
>the getty
is free but parking isn't, may want to take public transport if it matters to you
>preferably cheap
honestly i'd just look at a map and drive around to places that sound cool to you, that will be the cheapest
>sunset strip
>hollywood sign
>long beach stuff like Queen Mary and Aquarium
>a beach of some sort like venice for freaks or founders park for MAGA feels
>angeles nat'l forest, or really any state parks

if you want a weird desert time go check out the salton sea
>weird time
>not a good time
>>
>>1277526
Please do this, I love watching tourist ride a bike for the first time in a decade as the struggle up some of those brutal SF hills.
>>
>>1272679
>SoCal is crazy materialistic and superficial.

anon you're thinking of orange county. especially places like irvine. fuck i hate this city
>>
>>1277378
pomonafag that also lives in irvine/orange county for school here (im this faggot >>1282109 if you couldn't tell)

what exactly are you looking for in a place to live anon?
>>
>>1282056
That aquarium sounds dope as fuck, queen marry sounds cool but it says they're closed on the 5'th which is gonna be our main sight seeing day. Founders park is right next to the science center which i already wanted to go see so that's definitely on the list. This is gonna be a fantastic weekend.
>>
California is an oppressive statist shithole run by people hellbent on telling you not just how to live but doing their damnedest to make sure they can legislate it too. The government at state, regional, city, and local level is all garbage and utilities are run by monopolies uninterested in providing quality service because there's no market competition thanks to anti-competition "regulations."

But California is my shithole and I love it dearly despite it needing to be put down like a sick, wild animal.

>>1280716
I'm a San Diego native. Born and raised, which makes me somewhat of a rare commodity in southern California. I can answer questions if you'd like.
>>
File: 20170626_164611.jpg (514KB, 1694x1270px) Image search: [Google]
20170626_164611.jpg
514KB, 1694x1270px
LA is a shithole. I've lived here most of my life. 3rd generation angeleno. I cant wait to move out of the city limits. I'm only here because my job is here.

My family has property in norcal, El Dorado County. It's pleasant up there, especially now that the lake levels are back up.

This state is expensive and no one should move here unless they have guaranteed six figure employment.

>>1281903
Fuck the LAPD.
>>
>>1281809
Considering NYPD pays their officers peanuts and you have to live in the same state, LAPD and SoCal would give you a better chance of living a higher quality of life. Like I said above, I would lateral early to another big ticket agency or high paying municipal agency if LAPD isn't your cup of tea (it isn't for many).

Since you'll be going to ARTC and also the Granada Hills location if you go LAPD, your training times will thankfully coincide with non-rush hour (this is...relative in So Cal, just givin' fair warning) so don't be shy about choosing a place that's a little far. You gotta suck it up for those 29 weeks, worry about better housing once you've passed probation and you're no longer a shit-heel rookie boot. Try Eagle Rock, North Hollywood/Sunland/Tujunga, and try finding the cheapest rent around there.

>>1281903
Paramilitary life is not for everyone. Even among police work, LAPD is not for everyone. However there are some guys out there who want to find out if working ghettos or wheeling into an urban warzone is their calling and productive purpose. I found my purpose thru several, CARELESS, tactical mistakes that nearly cost my life and nearly widowed my newly married wife at the time. I pulled the cliched "give back and teach the rookies better than I was" and I became an FTO at 77th and Southwest Division, I've met and released seasoned Marine war veterans who cracked under the pressure of hispanic backstabbing, and I've had the pleasure of passing officers who came out of the fire, forged and hard. I give everyone who gives it an honest try full props.

True Detective was fun but it is NOTHING like what real life investigative work and procedure is like, but it was entertaining as fuck. Training Day was fanfiction garbage.

Closest LAPD movie is hands down End of Watch. Besides the ending and that retarded fisticuffs scene with the black gangster, that film is frighteningly realistic, even down to the Shootin' Newton Station lore.
>>
>>1282120
>aquarium sounds dope
it totally is, my dude
fun fact: CSI:Miami used it for some of their exterior shoots
>queen mary is closed
too bad, but it's not world changing since you can still look at the boat,
you can even see it from the aquarium
is big. and old. and haunted.
and it's still all of those things from the outside
>science center
if you like sciency stuff like this i recommend the griffith observatory
>>
>>1281903
Also, telling CT-bro to try San Diego for law enforcement is terribly spiteful advice. I'll assume you think so because it's easy to assume SD/OC is better than LA County (which for sure it is) , however San Diego PD has a hostile brass command that doesn't back its officers and regularly throws them under the bus.

I specifically did NOT recommend he go thru OC or LA Sheriffs first (No OC dept will ever hire him as a fresh recruit unless 1)Nepotism 2) Nepotism and 3) Nepotism. Never mind the fact that CT-anon will be forced to work corrections/jail cells for 5plus years before being allowed the opportunity to even patrol. Going LAPD first will 100% guarantee that he can lateral to ANY police agency (except Federal) in the country, and except Honolulu PD.

Another thing is the experience and variety that you receive, one year in LAPD South Bureau is easily equivalent to 20 years in MOST cities in America.
>>
Central LA native here

I love Los Angeles, and I love my state. Living here is the shit.
>>
California native here

I love it but it's definitely expensive and over populated so I can see why all the non-natives complain about it
>>
>>1272674
I dont know if you are from the US, but I can provide some perspective as a european who moved to San Diego.

Great place, but a bit soulless. I was living in pacific beach, which was great! La Jolla is amazing as well, and the SoCal coast is beauiful, especially if you enjoy surfing and other activities.

However, I sorely missed more compact european cities - being able to walk home, to cafes, restaurants etc. Americans drive everywhere and its a real turn-off. California in itself is great, but has a lot of shitty places. Los Angeles is just a big fat steaming pile of trash, unless you can afford to stay in Santa Monica and never leave.

So it depends on what your expecations are, and what you enjoy. Weather and nature are impeccable, but wont go far to make you happy unless you have a social network with people you care about around you.
>>
>>1277405
I'm not a big fan of fish, or Asian shit, so yeah as much as I love Cali this is a big problem for me.
>>
>>1273101
>Riverside
>Sacramento
>Not dirty
my sides
>>
california native here
pretty great, has its problems
>meth, old democrats, absolute mong drivers
but economy is yuge and diverse just like state
and are u diggin' this nature?
t. lives over 800 miles away from family but still in same state
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (53KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
53KB, 1280x720px
>>1282150
>>1282155
Do most noobs get thrown into the barrio/crenshaw type places or is there a chance of getting assigned to a slightly more chill area of LA (if those exist)?

Either way, I'm sure it would be a more meaningful existence than my current situation here in CT. I could also try and transfer out to SoCal/LA at some point with my current job (FedEx), but the pay/benefits don't compare at all unless I go into management... plus I'd still have the "becoming a cop" itch

How accurate is Falling Down?
>>
>>1272674
I live in sacramento. I love it.
>>
>>1277495
NUTRIA???
>>
>>1282412
>Do most noobs get thrown into the barrio/crenshaw type places or is there a chance of getting assigned to a slightly more chill area of LA (if those exist)?
You'll get a wishlist near the end of your academy, in fact you rank it from 1st to 21st, with all the divisions LAPD has. If you want South Bureau, you'll most likely get South Bureau.

Rule of thumb is, if you do your probation at an easy station like West LAtte or Topanga, you'll be given artificial stress as a boot officer, which means hazing and harassment which you absolutely must suck up. Going to any of the high call, hot shot stations like 77th, Southwest(nicknamed Southworst), Southeast, and Shootin' Newton means you'll have a relaxed FTO, however the stress of the job is exponentially worse and mistakes cost body parts. To be honest though, reality is LA is a dangerous city and every station has its regular hot-shot calls. Complacency kills and maims even more.

>How accurate is Falling Down?
More Hollyweird fiction. In fact, most cop shows and movies showing the honorable, beat down, aging detective working on their last case to the last bitter day of retirement is almost pure pablum and excruciatingly rare. 99% of retiring cops bounce out 2-4 weeks early by using their vacation time that can't be converted to bonus pay.
>>
>>1282155
Well, it's spiteful advice against LA. I'm not a LEO, and will never be, because of shit I pulled as a teenager. But that's another topic. I'm half Mexican, and like most Mexicans, my mom's side initallly settled in LA, specifically Peicoma and Glendale. It was nothing but horror stories from them. Like they were frightened of other Mexicans/Latins in the area. So it was so shitty that they moved an hour north to a town called Lancaster, CA (where I was born). That place is a shithole too (for other reasons), but it had a small town vibe, and at least in the 90s,and early 00s, lacked all the gang shit, and seedy crap associated with LA.

Well anyway, for again personal reasons, my mom moved me to San Diego in the early 00s, and I've been happy here ever since. Zero complaints. Nice beaches, nice people, traffic is probably 30% as bad as LA, air quality is breathable, plenty of shit to do and see, and a stone throw's away from Mexico for south of the border fun.

So my suggestion to OP is simply based on geography and the demographics of the places. If you want to get a slice of SoCal life, and value your life and state of mind, then forget about LA, and choose SD. Maybe the brass here are cunts. A woman runs the show here, and everyone has an idea of how female cops are. But anyway, I'm suggesting a move to SD so you're less likely to get killed/maimed, and have a solid place to settle down in and raise a family (if you plan to). The housing market is the same here as it is in SD. And again, SD is the comfier less bustling version of LA. So that's my argument. Move to SD if you value your life and comfort. Or go to LA, and deal with paramilitary shit that would probably freak out veterans from Iraq.
>>
>>1282167
European anon, can you give me advice on shit to do in SD? I'm bit of a homebody, and just know of the Gaslamp. I live in the south, by the border, so I rarely get up to PB and La Jolla.

Also, it makes me sad that we don't have those things--the ones you're talking about in Europe--in SD/CA. What's the closest approximation of European like neighborhoods/shops in the U.S. that you've seen? Also, what country are you from, and would you suggest I visit it? I'm planning a Eurotrip, and could use some suggestions.
>>
>>1272679

>SoCal is crazy materialistic and superficial.

Eh, I've lived in SoCal for 26 years, and I don't think I've seen anyone act more or less materialistic than anywhere else (been to Texas, Pennsylvania, Arizona, South Dakota, Germany, etc.)
>>
>>1272674

I like in San Diego too, OP. I love it here, seems pretty chill, except for the freeway where people will try to kill you (seen multiple instances of violent road rage, really unsafe merging, etc). Lots of good food.

Weather is almost always nice, except at its hottest, though even then it's usually a dry heat. There's a big difference between weather on the coast and a few miles inland.

Can't comment on LA, as I always just drive through it (traffic can get really bad). I drive from SD to San Francisco a lot. Really really flat and dusty in between LA and Bakersfield, but I like that sort of thing. It's relaxing drive when the wind doesn't get strong enough to push you into another lane.

San Jose was pretty nice too when I was there. You can smell the Garlic all the way through Gilroy.
>>
>>1282427
>Sacramento
1. Entre los creyentes, signo material de la presencia de Dios entre los hombres.
2. Signo material que en el cristianismo simboliza una gracia interna y espiritual que Jesús concede al que lo recibe.

da fuck!
>>
File: 1461008966659.jpg (17KB, 260x273px) Image search: [Google]
1461008966659.jpg
17KB, 260x273px
Hey guys, today I'm flying out to stay with some family in the San Francisco / Oaks area for 9 days today and don't have much of a plan for what I want to do. I'd really appreciate some recommendations.

As of now I only plan on maybe renting a bike and exploring the city, touring the parks and the bridge and whatnot. If there are any really cool nature, or jazz spots worth visiting I'd love to know.
18 with no fake btw so bars and clubs are mostly out.
Thanks in advance.
>>
>>1282579
Thanks again, LAPD bro

>>1282670
I'll keep this in mind too
>>
>>1280702
I don't know how my brother wanted to stay in IV for 2 years, I couldn't stand spending 5 minutes in the dump of a house he was renting. 12 people in a 4bed/1.5bath single floor of the house for $10,000 a month in rent alone.

Floors were grimy, tiles missing, bathroom door wouldn't close all the way, 1 parking spot, mushrooms somehow growing indoors, etc. Had people just walk in and steal things because the front door lock didn't work. You couldn't pay me to spend a night in there, but he says it was the best years of his life.
Thread posts: 144
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.