[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

One month for the South Best cities? Best places outside cities?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8

File: 350px-Map-USA-South01.png (70KB, 350x347px) Image search: [Google]
350px-Map-USA-South01.png
70KB, 350x347px
One month for the South

Best cities? Best places outside cities? Places to be avoided?
Share experiences, etc

Also, if you had to choose one state to live which would it be?
>>
>>1269622
Richmond, VA
Charleston, SC
St. Augustine, FL
Savannah, GA
Atlanta, GA
New Orleans, LA (mind the humidity)
Great Smoky Mountains
Monticello (Charlottesville, VA)
Louisville, KY

All of those are worth a visit.
>>
In pic related Raleigh wins hands down. The only other place you could even argue is charleston; that's a stretch though. I am living in Raleigh right now for that reason. - good paying jobs, safe city, beautiful downtown, and all diffrent walks of life.
>>
>>1269649
What the fuck is worth visiting St. Augustine or Richmond for? I've spent lots of time in both for buisness. Shit teir cities.
>>
>>1269622
Depends on your schedule, i was born and raised in Baton Rouge so i'm biased against how great New Orleans is, but imo the route from Nashvile>Memphis>Natchez trace>Natchez>BR>nola is a great trip

Avoid all the memes about how the south is, Mississippi may be one of the most hated states(dont know why) but you'll find some of the best food in the country outside Louisiana in Mississippi

But the best stae to live in by far is Louisiana, with Tennessee behind it. Not only does Louisiana have the top 5 happiest cities in America, the food here is the best in the world, hands down, and some of the friendliest people in the US live here, even some of the blacks are fun

So if you want true southern culture do the route I put, and if you want I can put down some of the best restaurants in every city along the route, like real southern shit

AMA for the western south
>>
>>1269649
>Richmond
shit
>Charleston
okay
>St. Augustine
shit
>Savannah
a very cool city to visit
>Atlanta
has its places
>New orleans
best city in the south
>Smoky mountains
awesome
>Monticello
has a nice charm to it
>Louisville
Wtf why?
>>
>>1269652
Thanks. Tell me more about Louisiana, other than New Orleans what are some things and spots not to miss
>>
>>1269662
Literally nothing. Idk why that retard even had Baton Rouge on his list because there's no reason to make a trip there unless you are a kid from New Orleans on a field trip to the state capitol.

I can give advice on what to do in New Orleans though. And as someone from the south, the only cities mentioned in this thread worth seeing are nola, charleston, and savannah
>>
>>1269662
Well as i actually live in Louisiana unlike >>1269708 faggot right here, but it depends, football saturdays in Baton Rouge are better than Nola, but if you aren't an outdoors person the rest of Louisiana might not be the best for you, it honestly depends on what time you go.

Also if you are going in August just skip Louisiana, literally hell on earth for a month

Hunting season is good, just go to the smaller towns and talk with some older folk and they will usually invite you to a supper, just say you are studying cajuns or some shit and they will show you the ins and outs of cajun culture
>>
>>1269742
don't listen to this salty idiot. I'm from Louisiana and as an added bonus I'm also from the only decent part of the entire state. Some would even say it's the only decent part of the entire American South. Allow me to explain why you should pass up most of what is mentioned in this thread

It's kind of sad honestly that people from places in Louisiana that aren't New Orleans think their hometowns are anywhere near as travel-worthy as the big easy.

First of all, "football saturdays" are going to be better in Baton Rouge because they have an (increasingly irrelevant) SEC football program, but 1. it isn't even football season and 2. a tourist isn't going to want to go to an LSU tailgate because they aren't LSU fans and they probably don't know any

Baton Rouge is roughly the size of Birmingham Alabama and pretty much just as culturally relevant. It is known for being the state capitol of Louisiana and not much else. Sure, like Birmingham, there might be a good restaurant or two, or a museum, or a "historic district", but they are all minor attractions and nothing worth making a trip to go see.

Atlanta is the same deal except it's just bigger. Not much history really, probably decent food but overall just bland and gross.

If you really want to "see" the south, all you really need to do is drive through the smoky mountains and eat some tennessee bbq, stop in some old historic colonial towns like Savannah GA or Charleston SC or a hipster city like Asheville NC to see what dixieland was supposed to look like all over before things went to shit, and then go to New Orleans where the actual fun happens
>>
File: image.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>1269768
Atleast in Baton Rouge people dont get shot on the fucking interstate from a stray bullet, and i can walk around Baton Rouge at night and not have to be aware faggot

How are you going to discredit all the little small towns throughout southeast LA, and the best swamps are hours from New Orleans

If he wants authentic LA, new orleans isnt that place, it's places like houma, thibodeaux, pierre part, st. Francisville, and the area around vacherie

Sure you can get an alright po boy and some generic gumbo, but the real cuisines are 100x better than that restaurant shit

Also i've had friends from Ireland come to Baton Rouge and they love tailgating, becuase i dont even give a shit about LSU, but the food and the atmosphere is second to none anr all OP has to say is that he isn't from around here and wants to try real Louisiana food and he will have more food and drink than he knows what to do with, i fucking live on campus and I pull the foreigner shit to get free food and beer

You've just been in your liberal nigger city for too long, and dont act like you live in the fucking quarter, unless you go to Tulane you live in some boring ass part of the city like metarie, so fuck off faggot
>>
New Orleans and Savannah stand far above the rest. Those are must see.

Side note, I remember when Asheville was incredible, now it's just another college town.

Also, thanks for not including Florida in the south.
>>
Asheville is a shithole
>>
>>1269794
SEC tailgating is incredible. I seriously regret going to college in New England
>>
>>1269652
>So if you want true southern culture do the route I put, and if you want I can put down some of the best restaurants in every city along the route, like real southern shit
Not OP but I want to visit the South especially for the cuisine (in a few years or so if I can afford to make it over the Atlantic).
Would happily screen cap your list.
>>
>>1269622
Virginia is easily the best state.

>history
>lost of places to live, particularly Richmond
>Chesapeake bay
>Appalachia mountains
>>
>>1269652
Fuck you and fuck shitty ass Mississippi and Louisiana
>>
>>1269794
>Nola
LSU sucks ass and so does all the towns you listed
>>
>>1269818
I can feel the butthurt through the screen, i can see it now, you trying to make up flaws about these two states just so you can feel better about your own shitty cultureless state, honestly the only things you can get us on is mosquitos and humidity, but its not like that shit exists anywhere else

>>1269821
LSU sucks at sports about as much as Germans sucking at being bureaucrats
Also a great argument to why the towns I listed suck
>they suck
What a great argument, i used to think those towns were nice until you said that
>>
>>1269794
lol you are so delusional

Did you really recommend Houma and Thibodeaux to a person traveling?

Do you not understand that this person is likely coming from a place far, far away? If you were anything besides the simpleton you are, you would realize how immensely disappointing a place like Thibodeaux would be to a person who has spent hours on a journey just to end up in a depressing hick town in a swamp.

Speaking of swamps, do you actually place value on the "best swamps"? Are you this simple? You deride New Orleans for being a "liberal nigger city" but you have the taste of a literal baboon. Why would a visitor want to see an unbearably humid swamp?

Further evidence of your small mind can be found in the fact that you seem to believe that your uncle Boudreaux's shitty gumbo is better than the world-renowned New Orleans cuisine, or as you say "that restaurant shit." Though, the only real New Orleans restaurant you could probably afford is popeyes. Not only CAN I eat better gumbo and oyster po boys than you, but I don't even WANT to eat better gumbo and oyster po boys than you. Because I have a vast selection of food here that is better than your meat and rice stew that you delude yourself into thinking is authentic Louisiana culture because it is the only food your unsophisticated palate can stomach.

The truth is, Bubba, I pity you. Because tonight, when you return from a long day of doing donuts in your 2003 F-150, and you pull into your ugly house in its boring suburban neighborhood, and you kiss your ugly wife after eating gumbo for the 5th day this week, and you take off your camo pants and monster energy hat and go to bed, you'll still be cussin them city slickers on the internet for disparaging "good ol creole cookin and authentic southeast Louisiana culture" while I retire to my spacious domicile in affluent uptown New Orleans after dining out at the little french restaurant just a few blocks away. And I won't give you a single thought.
>>
>>1269814
In terms of cities close together that have awesome food, Nashville>Memphis>Jackson(through the Natchez trace, takes a little longer but it's worth it, especially in the fall)>Natchez>Baton Rouge>NOLA

A few notable restaurants
>Old Country Store, address 18801 US-61, Lorman, MS 39096, personally the best fried chicken i've ever had, not saying its the best, but it is awesome, also i am saying they have the best blackberry cobbler in the world
>roux 61, its pretty good seafood not the best but good enough to stop for
>the francis, some BBQ joint in st francisville, has some great food

>>1269817
Virginia doesn't have that Dixie feel to it though imo
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>1269832
Lol holy shit bruh that was entertaining to read

First off, Yes I am saying my families homemade shit is better than New Orleans cuisine, that should be a fucking given you dipshit, mass produced food will never be as good as the shit it copies, personally I don't eat Gumbo, but I know the difference between a good one and a shitty one, and so far I haven't found any cajun cuisine worth paying for in New Orleans

And I don't know why you have a superiority complex over me, i'm a fucking student at LSU, I've never even had a truck, but thats not the issue

The issue is that I have never seen someone so ashamed of their culture, the dude specifically asked for shit outside of New Orleans you illiterate faggot, and you revealed your true nature
>who wants to go in a humid swamp?
People who aren't pussies and want to see beautiful nature, i know it must be terrible for you to even have the thought of going outside, but when you do, there is beautiful abundent nature like 30 minutes away

And obviously the french quarter is a beautiful and wonderful place, but i'm talking about outside of the quarter, please enlighten me to all of the great things outside of it? The crime? The trash everywhere?

But whatever, you know best, obviously everything outside your secluded "domicile apartment" is complete trash and I should be unworthy of talking someone who lives in the super great uptown new orleans

Lol fuck off retard and actually try to discover your state, you probably buy your crawfish from fucking walk-ons

Pic related, its your beautiful piss and weed smelling trashy bourbon street, at its finest
>>
>>1269842
>restaurant
>mass produced
Does not correlate

>Swamp
>Beautiful nature
Does not correlate

I don't even like the quarter. The best restaurants and quality of life are uptown, and the crime all happens in central city which no one ever goes to anyways. No one in their right mind thinks Bourbon st is "Beautiful" and locals avoid it like the plague. Adjacent Royal st is quite nice though.

And you literally are unworthy of talking to me because you were either too stupid or too poor to go to Tulane. I can tell you have an LSU education because you probably don't know what "domicile" means and that's why you tried to use it as an adjective to modify "apartment."

You are also trying to paint me as insular for not leaving my "secluded" uptown residence when in fact I have "discovered" my state. I discovered it is absolute trash.

And for the person who specifically asked for shit outside of New Orleans, this hick and his dumb hick recommendations are why I said there is literally nothing worth seeing in Louisiana besides New Orleans.
>>
North Carolina is probably the most overrated state on the East Coast
>>
>>1269622
If you want Arkansas, Bentonville is your best answer.

Lots of beautiful mountains, Crystal Bridges is a fucking cool museum, and plenty of hiking areas.

Do NOT go to Fayetteville. It's interesting, but has legalized panhandling and so you've got 20 year olds with dreadlocks begging for money at every corner. Literally liberal hell
>>
>>1269622
The Mobile-Tenasaw Delta is a pretty nice half day adventure. A canoe or kayak can be rented from the 5 rivers center on the causeway (hwy 90), with free drop off at docks farther up in the delta if desired. A decent meal and drink can be had at one of the locales on the cause way afterwards. Then get the hell out. Perhaps stay at a cheap bed and breakfast in Biloxi that night. At one of the several casions, you can try your hand at black jack or just play the slots. Don't forget to order your free drinks while you play. The next day, New Orleans is only an hour and 30 minute drive west. A quick stop in Bay Saint Louis, MS may be up your alley as well.
>>
>>1269622

Going to Missisippi next week, whats there to do in the Delta, Southern bros?
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3024x4032px
>>1269844
How much of a pretentious faggot can you be? There is literally no difference between LSU and Tulane, both are hard schools to get degrees in. And no I don't know what the fuck domicile means, because it is a useless fucking word, people who use complex words like that are compensating for the fact that they are retarded, you want random people on a japanese cartoon web messaging website to think you are smart, so you use complex unneccessary words, just say "where I am from"

Also how much of a douche must a person be, to think everyone outside of his comfort zone is trash? You paint Baton Rouge as a hick city when you couldn't even afford to live anywhere near highland or near LSU, but shit I forgot, you wouldn't want to live with rednecks living in $1 million+ houses.

All in all, the fact that you think royal st is any different than bourbon shows me you are a pretentious cock, also the fact that you think the quareter is trash means you are a blind pretentious cock. And with the icing on the cake, the fact that you use overly complex words for simple language to try to show me your "intelligence" makes you an autistic blind pretentious cock.

Thanks for assuring the fact that you have never had social contact. Because if you had, you and your friends would have gone to the surrounding cities and towns for festivals and concerts and had a good time, but i guess friends and a social life isn't posh enough for you
>>
>>1269904
Depends where, Eastern MS has the Trace and route 61, you have cool cities like Natchez and Jackson like I mentioned earlier, you picked a shitty time to visit as its hot as shit everywhere in the south around these times, but I'd recommend asking around the area you're going for the best food, mention that you aren't from around, people love to promote their favorite restaurant
>>
>>1269844
Are you even from the south, friend?
>>
>>1269844
Also bro you do know that restaurants are massed produced food, they make food for tons of people daily, it's not going to have the same prep time and necessary things to make it as good as possible, like having freshly boiled crawfish for an etoufee or making a stock out of boiled crab shells for a crab stew, i would say it's basic cooking knowledge but you probably eat out everyday and haven't cooked a meal in years
>>
>>1269904
Eat tamales. Also try to find a tourism office. They have touristic route maps. Avoid Jackson. Go see Faulkner's grave in Oxford.
>>
>>1269908

I'm actually staying in Natchez. What's there to do there and that area?
>>
File: 8Z5chv0_d.jpg (64KB, 640x425px) Image search: [Google]
8Z5chv0_d.jpg
64KB, 640x425px
>Louisville

OP, I'm from Kentucky. Louisville is not a major tourist attraction. If you're looking to get the most of our state please consider using it as a detour. If you can swing a few days at Mammoth Cave, Red River Gorge, etc I think you'll be getting a more memorable trip.
>>
Charleston and Durham
Raleigh isn't what it use to be
>>
File: image.jpg (4MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4MB, 3024x4032px
>>1269934
Food wise, the have a great thai place called planet thai, local shit, and very good

They also have a good americanish type place called cotton alley cafe which is good

Roux 61 is also good

But personally my favorite things to do is outdoors, we had property 10 miles north of Natchez and my favorite stuff to do was outdoors, like the natchez state park, but the bars in dowtown Natchez are also fun bars for older people(24+)

Natchez is not the best place to stay but a great place to visit

Pic related its the river view from downtown
>>
>>1269934
Also if you like coffee, they have a place called steampunk coffee roasters or some shit like that, and they make damn good coffee, a little weird but good
If you like more laid back comfy cafes with good wifi, they have Natchez coffee co. That has good coffee and the food is okay, but strong wifi and a nice place to have a long morning
>>
>>1269796
I've heard some people include North Florida among the '"South" though. Is it that different from southern FL?
>>
Guess I'll have to go to both NOLA and Baton Rouge and see for myself. Also, I'm from europe, like someone asked
>>
>>1270055
North Florida is the South, South Florida is North Cuba
>>
>>1270059
If you go, mention you are from Europe, a lot of people here are grandchildren or great grandchildren of the French and Germans who fled during the world wars so europeans get a lot of attention(in baton rouge)

And New Orleans has a suprising amount of europeans in the city as well
>>
>>1269622
Fly to New Orleans, drive to Charleston through Atlanta. That's all the dixie anyone ever needs.
>>
Memphis is fun as fuck - best BBQ/fried chicken ever and theres a surprising amount of cool stuff to see besides Graceland. If you stay near Beale St its very clean and safe - Im sure there are terrible areas but youll never have to see them.
>>
>>1270055
See my post in Florida thread
>>1269181
Basically, Florida has several very different regions. You could easily consider central north Florida the south. The rest of it is debatable. As for South Florida, once you get close to Miami, it's like a whole different country.
>>
Definitely try the 4x4 beaches in Outer Banks North Carolina nothing but you and the beach for miles dont bother with the overly touristy areas in OBX
>>
>>1269622

I would probably live in Virginia.

My favorite Southern states are Mississippi, Louisiana, Tennessee, North Carolina and Virginia.

Everything else just seems boring to me.

I had a good time in Asheville, NC.
>>
>>1270480
OBX just got a new island that popped up over the last couple of months, too. You can wade out there off of Hatteras but there are a lot of sharks lately.
>>
>>1269801
>asheville is a shithole
explain yourself
>>
>>1269854
What states do you recommend then anon?
>>
File: 180LS.jpg (678KB, 1200x802px) Image search: [Google]
180LS.jpg
678KB, 1200x802px
Nothing compares to an Orange Beach, Alabama sunrise. For a slow pace relaxing time on the beach go here, avoid Gulf Shores and Pensacola.

Also worth checking out: Blue ridge parkway in NC. Try one of the great breweries in Asheville.

Maybe check out Atlanta for a fast pace urban experience. Good concerts and shows and a lot of cool stuff for night life.

Barbecue in TN and nashville is pretty cool too if you can stand the hipsters.
>>
>>1271862
New Orleans is a fun spot too, it's not the greatest place in the south like the autistic anons above were stating, but it is an experience, maybe just as fun as ATL without all the traffic
>>
File: img_1268.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
img_1268.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
>>1269801
>Asheville is a shithole
Yup, sure is. You can tell by the grand piano in their McDonald's.
>>
>>1269854
>North Carolina is probably the most overrated state on the East Coast

What makes you think so?
>>
>>1271862
>Nothing compares to an Orange Beach sunrise
lol, you haven't been around much, huh?
>>
>>1272435
>>1271858
>Homeless everywhere
>Everyone is a deadbeat hippy
>Pretentious culture
>>
honestly, the only city worth visiting is new orleans. nashville is aight too. definitely skip alabama.
>>
>>1271864
New Orleans is definitely more worthwhile to see than Atlanta for food and overall beauty of the city
>>
>>1269622
Don't come to Charlotte, NC. Everyone here is from fucking New Jersey. This city has zero personality, zero culture, zero identity, zero fun, zero zero zeroo fuck someone get me out of here...
>>
Birmingham, Alabama has some of the best BBQ in the country.

Try a place called "Dreamland" downtown in the Hospital district. You won't be disappointed.

It's a good place to eat lunch if you're passing through, but Birmingham isn't much of a tourist place. Just stop for lunch and then continue on your journey.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.