[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tell grandparents i'm going to guatemala for five weeks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: guat-MMAP-md.png (66KB, 1036x733px) Image search: [Google]
guat-MMAP-md.png
66KB, 1036x733px
>tell grandparents i'm going to guatemala for five weeks
>grandmother starts crying and telling me it's too dangerous
>tell friends i'm going to guatemala
>oh yeah bro i heard that's like the murder capital of the world, wouldn't go there by myself - crazy!

Anyway going to Guatemala for five weeks in August. Recommend me some stuff
>>
Haven't heard of any recent "set the foreigner on fire 'cause he's stealing our kids" (which has happened several times, mostly in small towns) so you should be ok, but it is a dangerous place, but not as dangerous as Detroit so you should be ok.
>>
>>1268688
The only recent thing I could find was an article about a bunch of Australians getting their bus jacked.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4452056/Young-Australian-backpackers-kidnapped-Guatemala.html

>We were on a shuttle that was going from Antigua, Guatemala to León in Nicaragua.
>The shuttle set off at 2am on Saturday morning, but two hours into the trip three bandits shot at the van.

Bordering crossing in the middle of the night. Gee what could go wrong.

I've been to South America various times and know the rules there, just curious how Central America compares.
>>
>>1268686
Have been to Guatemala City and Antigua and can calm your grandparents a bit. Had not encountered any major problems beside the heat and the hassle of the shoeshine boys.

Sceneria
https://youtu.be/YNYGgvTyLvk

Old town:
https://youtu.be/Eyr5-u0XY1o

5 weeks seems a bit much. What are your plans and which transportation do you use?
Most of the cities is divided in Zonas
>>
Was there 2 weeks ago in Antigua and I felt completely safe. I once left a hotel at 3am with heavy rain after having some action with a Milf and my walk back to my hostel was like 20 minutes, I felt completely safe.
>>
Guatemalan here,

It is dangerous in some red and not touristic zones in the capital (Guatemala city), but it's gang-related crimes so you will be fine. Just use your common sense

Enjoy Guatemala, anon
>>
>>1269220
Are you from Guatemala City? I arrive at 8pm so I guess the best way to get to my accommodation is by taxi. I want to stay like 2-3 days in the city and visit museums before moving to Antigua.
>>
>>1269243
Yes, I am.
Use Amarillo taxis (amarilloexpress.com) they're safe.
The taxis outside the airport will scam you with the prices. There's no public transportation near the airport.
>>
Guatemala was one of the best trips of all my life. I learned Spanish especially for it, it was worth it.

Antigua was cool, but I preferred Semuc Champey, Rio Dulce, Flores and Tikal.

Never felt unsafe, people were awesome.

Enjoy your time OP.
>>
>>1269248
How many days you recommend for the city? The museums listed on tripadvisor and wikivoyage sound really interesting.

>>1269251
I speak Spanish so I'm really looking forward to it. Did you like Rio Dulce? I read mixed reports about the Livingstone.
>>
>it's safe guys, see, I survived, no major problems haha
People who encountered major problems such as death are always too shy to talk about their travels for whatever reason.
>>
>>1269256
>How many days you recommend for the city?

2 or 3 are fine. If you are going to be here a couple of days before or after August 15th, you can go to the Jocotenango Fair
>>
>>1269256
Yes, I did like Rio Dulce very much, especially the Castillo de San Felipe. The boat journey to Livingstone was really beautiful.

Livingstone itself requires an open mind. It's pretty poor and very Caribbean, /pol/tards would hate it.
I only spend a day there, it was hot as hell but we meet some awesome locals. It was not the best part of Guatemala but overall I keep good memories and I'm glad I went there.
>>
>>1269341
What a shame, I'll arrive first of August. Looks super cool thoughl. I hope I can catch a football game or something but since it's not weekend I'm not holding my hopes. How is the city center, can I walk around in the day with no big worries if I stick to the rules?

>>1269351
I liked the Caribbean towns I visited, they are pretty poor and have so many problems I think that will never be solved but still it's interesting to see. I have to do some research on the area. I just read a lot of mixed opinions.
>>
I was in Guatemala about a month ago for a month total. I came from Belize, went to Tikal to Flores to Lanquin / Semuc Chempey, Antigua and then finished in Lake Atitlan. I felt safe everywhere, I decided to skip Guatemala City after my shuttle ride from Lanquin to Antigua since it didn't seem like a place worth visiting at all. If you want extra safety for extra money I would recommend booking tourist shuttles and traveling by day. Even then I guess you're an easy target since with huge letters on the front and side it clearly yells out to everyone TOURISMO. That story with the shuttle with the Australians was pretty nerve wracking since I read that news only days before taking a similar route, but obviously nothing ended up happening.

Just stay safe and when shit happens comply, the worst you will lose is your electronics and some money hardly unlikely you will also lose your life I would say.
>>
>>1269362
>How is the city center, can I walk around in the day with no big worries if I stick to the rules?

The "city center" is also known as zona 1, you can take a walk at Paseo de la Sexta until you reach the National Palace
>>
>>1268686
In Central America, can you take a slum tour like in Brazil? I want a pic for FB with some tatted up gang members.
>>
>>1270175
Why would you want such a picture? Honestly curious
>>
>>1270198
It's the scariest thing I could think of. I think I'd shit myself if I saw one of those dudes in real life.
>>
>>1268686
RIP, OP
>>
>>1268686
I'm living here for 3 months now kek
>white european
>pale as snow
>blue eyes
>walking outside
>flip flops $500 phone
a dog barked at me last week
>>
>>1268686
Exact same thing happened to me but I'm going to Mexico City and my friends are idiots.
>>
I mean, its a pretty odd choice to travel to for 5 weeks...
>>
>>1271947
Having extensive experience in Guate, avoid taking out your phone in the streets, even in traffic. I've seen people robbed at gunpoint for a Galaxy S3
>>
>>1272939
I thought you guys did not have any guns
>>
>>1271947
you are naive dude, don't encourage people to be complacent in a city where the statitstics are real

>>1268686
Guatemala City is cool, I rode with the guy that owned the hostel to the airport at night bc he needed someone in the passenger side of his car. The most important thing is to stay at a safe place your first few days. Meet some people that have been there for a while that are SMART, not some kids that think their life experience defines everything. Remember guatemalans are real, their struggle is real, and you can get caught up in it if you are careless. Listen to the advice people give you, 90 percent of the locals don't want to see you get hurt, they are good people and they willl look out for you if you aren't an asshole. It's not a combat zone but if you act like an ass and flash luxuries people will notice. I went to the "most dangerous" area of Guatemala city a few times with no issue. The central market is awesome and worth a trip. I've traveled all around Central America, only time I had issues was when I was cocky and stupid and didn't listen to warnings people gave me, it's an awesome place and not worth missing out of fear. that being said, your family is never going to understand.

>>1270175
literally stay out after the sun goes down and you will be approached by gangmembers. they may rob your or jump you, or on the rare occasion kill you, rule of thumb in that part of the world is don't be out after dark. then again, they might hang out and take a picture. I met a few and I just had to pay them off.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.