[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lads, I just moved to Boston. I don't know anything not

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5

File: Boston.jpg (28KB, 500x289px) Image search: [Google]
Boston.jpg
28KB, 500x289px
Lads, I just moved to Boston. I don't know anything not just about Boston, but New England. I got two months of free time until my school starts, and I travel mostly alone. Help me find things to do and places to visit /trv/
>>
>>1268590
>that """""""""skyline"""""""""

Kek

My recommendation is to move, Boston sucks
>>
>>1268590
Lol you fucked up, I recommend going to join in with the mafia, or traveling to upstate NY for some good haunted feeling /out/, as for shit to do in Boston you are sol
>>
i live about 90 min north of you, in portland.

new england is quiet. it's pretty. boston is an okay place to live for a bit. i subletted a room for a summer back in 2007. had an okay time. dunno if id wanna live in the city for too long. has an okay night life scene if that's your thing.

if you want adventure and nice driving, just drive north to vermont, new hampshire, or maine. lots of shit you can see/do in a day if you have a car.

you've got a micro center, which is pretty rad, if you're a tech geek.
>>
>>1268590
What school? I go to college out there

Things to do:
Museums out the ass if that's your thing
Lots of awesome hiking and stuff if you're ok going a little ways out of the city
Maine is great. Portland is awesome, Acadia National Park is dope if you have a place to stay
The city has an ok night life. Not New York, but it's decent
Seafood. Lobster especially
Some dank Korean food in Allston. Just take the T out there
Baseball. Head to Fenway for some games
>>
>>1268590
Happy fourth you fucks.
Boston started this fucking country, You can thank us for thanksgiving too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-SwXEifHHo
>>
OP here
holy crap there are so many Asians (especially Chinese) here. I feel like I'm in Vancouver
>>
Museum of Fine Arts is free if you have your student ID. I'd recommend it, but I enjoy museums a lot. As said above, Boston is museum crazy. If you're into science or history I'd HIGHLY recommend the science museum on the bridge (it was like being a kid again).

Tons of local eating and bars; too much to list. If you like Italian food you're in luck af, go to North End and go crazy (also check out Eataly in Prudential, a little more bourgie, but hey). Walhburgers is also in Fenway if you want to brag to your family about eating there - food is okay and decently priced.

Check out Back Bay, Newbury St, Copley, and Prudential for shopping and second-tier nightlife. Boston Public Library in Copley is a pretty nice place to visit as well.

Honestly, Boston is one of the most walkable cities in the world. My recommendation to you is take 2 or 3 days, go downtown, and just walk around. Guarantee you'll find shit you're into.

Also:
>yes, get used to Asians
>yes, get used to traffic if you have a car
>yes, the T is your friend, 90% of anything good is off of the T when you leave downtown unless you go to Cambridge

Also, what school OP? I'll be back in August.
>>
>>1269187
bu
I'm actually used to being around azns as I'm asian myself. One thing I don't like is that unlike Asians in Vancouver, Asians living in the US all look like they are chewing down on a shit or something
>>
>>1268887
Cool

If it was the 1700s i'd care
>>
>>1269207
Do you have any specific interests? Do you have access to a car?

I'm a native and ive spent the last year trying to see all the neat shit around here, id be happy to do a little write up later.
>>
>>1269207
Nice, BU is pretty well placed in the city. (The T actually runs through the middle of campus and you're right next to the Fenway area. I'm at BC, so carry on down the B-line to the end and visit sometime.

Asians in Boston, to me, seem more polite and chill than most places I've been. (Except when grocery shopping, but everyone seems kind of rude when you're grocery shopping here, weird I know. I'm from the south originally, so I'm used to people going out of each other's way to be over polite and not be in someone's way.
>>
>>1269293
no car, just a bike. Awsome.
>>1269302
yeah I think I'll end up using trains mostly.
And I was planning on visiting Boston College as I heard they have dope ass libraries
>>
>>1268590
play fallout 4 for a while. it will give you some ideas
>>
>>1269302
Hey dude, BC reporting in. Where you living next year?
>>
>>1269308
Our libraries are clutch. Bapst is a must visit.

>>1269529
2150. You?
>>
>>1268590

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-64CaD8GXw

Do NOT play this song and definitely do NOT play this song within earshot inside of Boston or you will get your ass kicked by like 5 toothless Micks. Just a word of warning.
>>
File: quarry_skyline.jpg (713KB, 1280x721px) Image search: [Google]
quarry_skyline.jpg
713KB, 1280x721px
>>1269293
>>1269308
Ah, ok. Sucks because so much of new england is really only accessible by car. Transit is real spotty outside of the cities. If you can rent a car for a day or two, might be something to think about. I'll try to keep this reachable by bike and transit.

Have you tried checking out any of boston's non-downtown neighborhoods? One of my favorite aspects of the city is the variety of distinct neighborhoods. Some ones to try:
-South Boston. Mostly residential and yuppified at this point, but some good restaurants and shops. Go to Dorchester Heights for great views of the city.
-Somerville and Cambridge. Actually independent cities, but integrated into boston's urban fabric nonetheless. Used to be blue class irish, now one of the "trendy" areas. Along with cambridge, most of the cool stuff is centered along the squares. Union square is my personal favorite, but davis/porter/central squares are nice too. All are accessible by the red line, except for union square, which requires the bus until they extend the damn green line. Harvard square is the big daddy but is pretty touristy at this point. Harvard's campus is obviously cool to see if you haven't though.

-Coolidge Corner. Technically part of brookline, but a cool little area. Right near allston/brighton which caters to the college age crowd. Well known for its art house movie theater.

-Jamaica Plain. A less ritzy hipster neighborhood. The Arnold Arboretum is one of the best of its kind and a personal favorite, if that's your kind of thing. Good neighborhood for thrift shopping and the like.

-Charlestown. Mostly residential, but a good neighborhood to walk around and take pictures. Go up to the bunker hill memorial for more good views of the city.

Pic is boston from Quincy Quarries, which is a cool spot outside the city. Not super easy to get to via transit, tho. Doable with the redline/ a bike depending on how ambitious you are.
>>
>>1269732
As for stuff outside Boston:

Word of caution, most other cities in new england are kinda dumpy. The most notable exception to this is Portland, Maine, which is a very nice little city. Great food scene and architecture. If you can get up there for a weekend somehow it might be worth it.

I personally like Providence as well, but it depends on who you ask. It has gritty/downtrodden areas, but there are enough interesting areas to make up for it. Particularly East Providence (near Brown and RISD) and Federal Hill, the city's Italian neighborhood. Newport RI is a beautiful but touristy gilded age resorts. Famous for its palatial oceanside estates. Would be worth it if you can get to it but beware rhode island transit.

Those are the only cities I can really recommend. Burlington VT is nice but far away and hardly qualifies as a city. Manchester NH is a decent little place as well but don't go out of your way.

If you like the beach, then you have some options as well. The cape is an unmitigated poopfest this time of year, I would avoid it. The exception would be maybe taking the ferry to Provincetown from Boston. Ptown is a very colorful gay colony on the end of the cape that while touristy, is a lot of fun to visit. The beaches in ptown/ the outer cape are very good, try race point if you're interested.

You can also take a ferry from Boston to Hull/ Nantasket Beach, a peninsula on the edge of boston harbor. Nantasket is a blue collar (bordering on trashy) beach town, but its near to boston and the water is surprisingly clean. Also, there's restaurants/bars on the beach which is a rarity in massachusetts.

The north and south shores have plenty of great beaches are frequented more by locals than by tourists a la the cape. Yes, they'll be crowded on a hot day, but typically still reasonable. Doubly so if you go during the week. I'm unsure of how many of these are transit accessible, but I'm assuming at least a few.
>>
>>1269732
>>1269737
awesome, wrote down all the places you mentioned, thanks. I would definitely visit most of the places before August ends
>>
>>1269561
I'm in Walsh even though I'm a junior cause my credits got fucked from transferring. At least it's convenient I guess
>>
>>1268590
I live on the South Shore, my family has been in Massachusetts since 1630. Any questions in particular?
>>
>>1269529
>>1269561

ayy 2150 comm ave senpai

CS class of '19 here
>>
>>1268590
If you like history u r in luck

Freedom trail, bunker hill monument, old ironsides

Newbury st for ppl watching, north end mikes and reginas, castle island in southie is cool

Fenway is close to u so tasty burger not walburgers, el pelon, also there is lots of bars and house of blues on landsdowne st

PICO in south end may have best pizza and ice cream in the country
>>
>>1269095
Welcome to any college town USA.
>>
check out harpswell, ME
>>
>yanks saying lads
>>
I'm moving to ne in a week. What areas have the most job openings? I assume Boston does. Also what areas are cheap to live in but aren't so sketchy?
>>
Some friends and i will be visiting Boston this coming weekend (14th-18th) and I know my buddy already has some ideas (Cheers, Mike's Pastry, Harpoon Brewery) but I was wondering where to go for the best local seafood? I know Crab (and seafood in general) is a huge staple in Boston and I'm looking for decent food that won't bust my $40 a day budget.

Also, we're staying at this hostel called 40 Berkley, so if anyone knows of stuff that's cheap and within walking/public transportation distance (since we won't have a car), I'd appreciate the tips!
>>
>>1270694
Hmmm, 106% sure you were my roommate last year.
>>
>>1269997
Walsh is where the vomit from Mod parties drains to. I hope you're on the side facing campus instead of facing the graveyard.
>>
>>1271764

what does my name start with?

if you're mistaken, there's still a chance that based on my roommate's facebooks, if you're on the second floor there's a chance you may be my roommate this year
>>
So doing some research last night I found this Yamato II place on Boylston that does all you can eat sushi. But I also see it's got some really mixed reviews. Anyone ever been there? Is it worth it?
>>
>>1271905

I have

it's a very good price but it's pretty much only filled with college students

it's not some ultra high end stuff, but for the price it's unbeatable in Boston
>>
>>1271908
I just heard that the service is kinda shitty sometimes. I'm worried about going there, and then only getting to order once because of slow as fuck service.
>>
File: 5267088194_ed0a2903a3.jpg (84KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
5267088194_ed0a2903a3.jpg
84KB, 500x376px
>>1271916

I was on a date there so i cannot recall how my service was but it makes sense that they'd try to slow you down
>>
Acadia, Maine is one of the few national parks east of the Mississippi, so I'd recommend that around early autumn once the leaves start to turn.
>>
>>1269737
Grew up in plymouth county, south shore beaches are generally not accessible by public transit.

The P&B busline goes all the way to ptown, but you could get off at the hyannis transportation center and it's like a mile walk to kalmus beach, which is an underrated gem.
>>
>>1271666
Do not go to cheers.
Repeat. Do not go to cheers.
Catch a fuckin sox game instead ked.
>>
>>1272014
Nah, don't have enough for a ticket on a $40 a day budget man.
>>
File: 14307383552_02422731b0_b.jpg (260KB, 1024x446px) Image search: [Google]
14307383552_02422731b0_b.jpg
260KB, 1024x446px
>>1268593
It's not Manhattan I suppose
>>
>>1272034
Then really dont go to cheers. Get some cheap nips, throw them down quick (or sneak them into fenway) and you'll have a better, cheaper time than cheers
>>
>>1271854
N. #203GabLife
>>
>>1271905
>>1271908
2nd this. $25 for all you can eat (dinner), that's dirt cheap for Boston. The one out in Brighton is good too if you're out that way (Yamato #1) and it's filled with Boston College kids mostly. The one in Boylston is more of a mixed crowd.
>>
>>1272188
Well we're all in our 30's so we're not really the college kid crowd anymore, haha. Odds are we'll make that our last big meal on Monday night before we have to part ways.

At some point, I also just want to find some tasty fresh lobster/crab. I love seafood, but since I'm the only one in my family who does, I rarely get to have it.
>>
>>1272186

yup, lol

is this Ju?
>>
>>1272258
Yep lol. I recognized Acbn.
>>
>>1272401

lol why are you on /trv/?

nice
>>
>>1272402
Daily rounds. /trv/ /ck/ /tv/ /int/
>>
>>1268590
lived in boston for 2 years. hated every minute of it. im in birmingham alabama right now and even tho it is absolute trash i'm not having to suck dick to make rent...
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.