[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey, guys. Going to Jamaica in a couple of weeks. Staying at

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

Hey, guys.
Going to Jamaica in a couple of weeks. Staying at a big all-inclusive in ocho rios with the family. Any must-dos while we're there? pointers/tips for not getting robbed, stabbed, and left in a dumpster?
>>
>>1267796
>pointers/tips for not getting robbed, stabbed, and left in a dumpster?
Yes, don't go to Jamaica.
>>
>>1267796
ocho rios (and montego bay) is a shithole overrun my scammers and hustlers preying on cruise ship and all-inclusive tourists. that being said, you're unlikely to get murdered, as jamaica's astronomical murder rate is almost entirely attributable to gang war blood feuds, and i imagine no one will confuse you for jamaican gangsters. basically just ignore everyone who calls you racist because you won't buy their trinkets or let them braid your hair.

if it wan't already too late i'd tell you to go to the south coast where people live real lives and don't give two fucks about tourists. but it is too late, so enjoy being harassed nonstop.
>>
Myself and a friend went to Ochos Rios for 10 days at the ages of 18 and 19 back in 2013. When we went we stayed at the Mystic Ridge Resort. Very affordable, beautiful, helpful staff, and on the edge of town, yet only a 5 minute walk into the main shopping area. Ochos Rios is a great city to go to in Jamaica if you dont want to be trapped in a touristy feeling environment. I went to Ochos Rios to get down with the locals and boy I sure did! You're going to have to get used to the locals trying to sell you weed. It doesnt matter who you are, how old you are, who you're with, or your nationality. We were asked at least 10 to 20 times a day while walking around. #1 tip I can offer is for you to act like you've been there a while. Learn how to brush off the locals. Most of them only want to help you and earn a few dollars when they can. If you walk with confidence and ignore the locals they will assume you've been there a while and know whats up. Remember, Jamaica is a third world country. Many people live off of the five dollars a day they can get as tips from tourists. Second best tip I can offer is to make friends with a local soon off. Someone who can show you around. Many people would love to show you around the nooks and crannies of the city for the payment of a meal. I met a man named David who showed me the most beautiful private beaches and the best places to shop for wonderful handcrafted gifts day after day and never asked for more than a meal or a drink. Wonderful company. Yet another tip coming to mind, you must know that the price of EVERYTHING is negotiable is Jamaica. I saw taxi drivers negotiate the price of gas at a gas station. That being said, dont be afraid to bargain with all vendors! Prices are generally marked up for tourists because they know you will pay it. If a carved statue is marked at 2000 Jamaican dollars(~$20 US dollars), offer 1000JD($10 USD)!
>>
Continued...

Pointers for not getting robbed:
-be very cautious of where you pull out your cell phone. You're going to want to take pictures of everything, but know that you are making yourself a target by pulling out a smart phone in some areas.
-never carry more than $50 on you when going out for the day unless you have plans to use it.
-leave your passport/wallet/everything important locket up(preferably in a provided lock box) in the resort room. Take cash only when going out for the day.

Anymore questions? Ill be up for a bit
>>
File: definitely not a shill.jpg (24KB, 500x285px) Image search: [Google]
definitely not a shill.jpg
24KB, 500x285px
>>1267823
>>1267825
t. jamaican tourism board representative
>>
>>1267825
We're staying at the moon palace, have kids with me, so staying low key. maybe hike the falls, but thinking staying on site in the resort most of the time might be best.
>>
>>1267835
i went in the offseason and the falls were still an utter shitshow, and when you get to the top you have to navigate basically a massive flea market of overpriced tourist trap trinket shops and will be harassed by every vendor and called a racist if you don't pay attention to them. maybe if you live in a city in a flat desert it would be novel enough to be worth it, but if you have any access to any sort of a cascade at home save yourself the trouble.
>>
>>1267948
Tucson, AZ....
>>
>>1267823
Im from new york so im used to beggars and people shilling their fruit or CDs or whatever the fuck. How much worse is jamaica really
>>
>>1268070
lol. might be worth it then.

>>1268137
aggressively and numerically worse. at least in montego bay and ocho rios. negril was chill when i was there, but i hear it's worsened since then. kingston and black river were great, and i regret not making it out to the eastern end of the island where it's even quieter.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.