[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/trv/ I found an opportunity in Beijing and I think I'll

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: Street-Life-of-Beijing.jpg (87KB, 467x331px) Image search: [Google]
Street-Life-of-Beijing.jpg
87KB, 467x331px
/trv/ I found an opportunity in Beijing and I think I'll leave my current shitty job and life and move there even tho I've never been there and have no idea about the place.. What do you think ? is it worth it ?
>>
>>1267454
it's a cool city with nice people, but the air is shit.
>>
>>1267454
you'll die from lung cancer, good wishes
>>
I can get a teaching position in China. Apparently I can wish between lots of cities.

Where would you recommend that I wish to go? Good air would be nice, but I don't want to end up in some boring as fuck city just because I wanted clean air.

How's Chengdu? I've heard that Chongqing and Xi'an have really bad air
>>
>>1267454
I was in beijing a little whole ago, not sure I liked it

there is a nice and growing bohemian scene, but the city is borderline dreary and it was much more expensive then a lot of the neighboring cities

the air quality is poor, but not nearly as bad as the estern media would have you believe
it's more a seasonal thing with the occasional awful day

>>1267468
chengdu was by far my favourite, the food is much better and people are less ant-like

the "bad air" is a relative thing, it's not like you would be living there for 80 years like the locals
worry more about not smoking cigarettes; which the chinese are very fond of
>>
>>1267454
Only thing I hated about Beijing was the weather in summer. Really humid and muggy and so hot, there was one day that reached 44C. I was there on a residency thing with a group of other university students. Coming from a country that rarely goes above 25C, we all got sick because of the heat at least once each.

I'd love to go back, the food was awesome and there was tons of stuff to see, but I'd only ever go again in winter.
>>
>>1267491
I think I'll be good with heat, we have a 42C right now in my country
>>
>>1267454
Beijing is a good place to visit but I wouldn't live there. I only visited though, never lived in China.

It's designed around an imperial layout with the forbidden city in the middle everything expanding outwards from there. This means multilane ring roads throughout town with residential apartment blocks on the outside of town. Housing isn't cheap.

Winter is cold as fuck, it's dusty and windy. Very extreme climate.

I'd recommend Shanghai over Beijing. More international, better layout, better climate.
>>
Watch as much of these channels as you can before moving

https://www.youtube.com/user/serpentza
https://www.youtube.com/user/churchillcustoms
>>
>>1267468
I go to teach in Chengdu in october for 15 months, lemme know before thread dies if you serious about going we'll go for a drink lad
>>
>>1267468

Been living in Hong Kong for 3 years, traveled China for work for 2 years, and I tell you the following:

>Hangzhou
Its the jewel of China, its Kyoto, its full of culture, fun, amazing women, has an international airport, is close to tons of other cool places, an hour away from Shanghai, etc, etc.

Chengdu and CHongqing are nice, but if youve never been to China and arent really, really into it, youll suffer, cause itll be hella alien.

I like Xi'an more than Beijing (tho BJ is def. more foreigner friendly), and I think the air is a bit worse in BJ.
>>
>>1267693
>https://www.youtube.com/user/serpentza

jeez, I could barely watch that w/o cringing
>>
>>1267479
that sounds great, thanks for the info

>>1267730
i'm sorry dude, but i don't really want to meet up with people from 4chan

>>1268173
thanks for the tip.

however, i might still go for chengdu. am prepared for a truly alien experience, and there's so much i want to see in and around the sichuan region

>>1268177
indeed, really fucking terrible channel
>>
>>1267730
not samefag but planning on going to chengdu for a few months next year, so will post contact in a china general later
>>
>>1267454
go for it. If I had a similar chance I wouldn't hesitate for a second. DO IT
>>
People seek to think China is really cool but I'm kind of put off by all the gigantic ugly skyscrapers in every city. Do the old cultural centers still exist? Like what do people do when they go there bc it seems like every city is pretty much just giant new buildings
>>
>>1269292
Yeah

Shanghai is wonderland if you like architecture

It's bizarrely well preserved given that the red guards burned everything else in the 60s, the French Concession is a different world
>>
>>1269292
>People seek to think China is really cool but I'm kind of put off by all the gigantic ugly skyscrapers in every city
Skyscrapers are one of the best things
>>
>>1269296
When done right they are. Like the Woolworth building in NYC but the ones I see in pictures of China look really bland and ugly
>>
>>1269295
Can I get more info on the red guard somewhere?

I don't know why but I get the sense that china seems like it did away with a lot of its ancient culture when communism arrived and that's why all their ancient cities seem to be filled with skyscrapers that were built in the last 15 years instead of old buildings.
>>
>>1269313
Yeah, that was Mao's Cultural Revolution. Just google it.
>>
>>1267468
Bump, would love to hear more recs
>>
File: Shanghai-Media-1.jpg (798KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Shanghai-Media-1.jpg
798KB, 1280x720px
>>1269296
NYC skyscrapers look old and boring compared to Shanghai.
>>
>>1267454
Just spent 2 months in Beijing studying doing an intensive Mandarin program at a university and I loved Beijing

However it can get crazy hot at times
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.