[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm planning on visiting Maine around late July. I'll

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 9

File: url.png (146KB, 2279x2000px) Image search: [Google]
url.png
146KB, 2279x2000px
I'm planning on visiting Maine around late July. I'll probably stay for 6-7 days. What should I check out while I'm there, like which cities, national parks, or beaches? What should I do while I'm there? My home base will probably be Portland, but I plan on renting a car for the duration of my trip. Also, I plan on moving to Maine, so, while I'm there, I want to get a good sense of what the state has to offer. Thanks.
>>
File: MonsonNo3.jpg (422KB, 999x669px) Image search: [Google]
MonsonNo3.jpg
422KB, 999x669px
>>1267268
Check out the Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes Railroad Museum in Phillips, or the Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington Railway Museum in Alna. These places preserve fragments of a 2 foot narrow gauge railroad system that once criss-crossed the state over a century ago. The one in Alna is not far from Portland and the coast.
>>
>>1267268
Eat a meal at Dysart's Truck Stop. Thank me later.

This is a serious suggestion.
>>
Casual bump
>>
>>1267268
Acadia National Park is gorgeous, but it's an annoying tourist trap, especially in summer. Go first thing in the morning on a weekday because it's definitely worth seeing, but not with groups of rubberneckers around. There are two mountains, go to the smaller one to avoid crowds.
>>
>>1267732
Also take a trip out to Maine Beer Co. They used to be based in Portland but moved maybe 45 minutes out to expand their operation. Great beer in a gorgeous taproom.
>>
Check out Canada
>>
>>1267732
>there are two mountains
What park are you talking about? There are at least 15 mountains I can name off the top of my head in Acadia.
You're quite right though, Acadia is a shitshow in July, worse than Disneyland. That being said it's possibly the most beautiful place on earth, so if you can wake up early enough to find parking at the trailheads, it's worth it.
>>
>>1267732
>>1267760
>>1267733
Any other nature spots in Maine worth checking out, aside from the Acadia meme?
>>
>>1267732
>There are two mountains, go to the smaller one to avoid crowds.
Bar Harbor resident here; thanks for that, it's a good one. Ranks right up there with "so is there cool stuff to do in Arcadia?" and "Oh, are we on an island"?
>>
File: _20170629_073306.jpg (108KB, 720x742px) Image search: [Google]
_20170629_073306.jpg
108KB, 720x742px
>>1267760
Sorry, it's been years - i was thinking of the choice between Mount Desert Island (the place everyone goes) and the Schoodic Peninsula, which seems lesser known and traveled. Schoodic looks small on a map but it is pretty massive in person and a good way to see the Acadia scenery without the same crowds.
>>
Cmon, /trv/, give me more info
>>
>>1268234
Just got back from a trip to Maine yesterday
If historic shit is your thing check out Fort Knox near Bucksport. Extremely intact fort looking over the Penobscot river. Basically every coastal town has a nice collection of old buildings and historic sites to see.
Peak island outside Portland is supposed to be nice
Old Orchard Beach, Popham beach and the beach at Reid state park are popular.
Acadia is nice for hiking and overall scenic-ness but tourist season will be at the peak around the time you are there. People are allowed to park on the road in the park, which creates huge delays.
Mt. Katahdin is up there by Millinocket
>>
>>1268340
I thought Portland was nice, I ate in a bunch of places around town including Salvage BBQ, Holy Donut, Vena's (cocktail lounge), Duck Fat and some gelato place
I thought South Portland was nice and not so crowded, only went to the Foulmouth brewery where I thought their beers were just OK but the snacks were great. Supposedly there is a good taco place down there.
>>
>>1268340
>>1268343
Thanks, guys. Any other places worth checking out beside portland?
>>
I'll also going to be in Maine this month with family, flying to NYC then driving up to the Bar Harbor area! I'd also love any destination recommendations you guys have.
>>
Why the fuck is it so expensive to find a flight from DC to Portland? What the fuck. It's almost $500
>>
>>1269017
Portland Maine is a really small city. Flying to any airport that isnt a major one will cost you. If you want to save money, fly or train to Boston then rent a car.
>>
If you're thinking of moving to Maine, then look at these cities and regions, since that's where all the professional jobs are:

Kittery and Portsmouth, NH; Greater Portland area; Brunswick and Bath; the capital of Augusta; and Bangor/Brewer.

If you want a simple lifestyle, and access to the great outdoors, then Maine has lots to offer.

Plan ahead if you need a hotel room. Summer is the busiest tourist time, and hotels fill up quickly. You can find more vacancies and cheaper rates if you stay in hotels on Sunday nights.

Maybe start off in Portland, get a hotel room for one night in Bangor, and drive around in your rental car to see what the state is like? And ignore Google maps and their suggestions, just use Route 1.
>>
>>1267268
As other anons said, acadia is essentially disneyland this time of year. If you're looking for alternatives, try the Fox Islands. My family vacations on Vinalhaven every year, its a neat little place. Take the ferry from Rockland.

Its much less crowded than other resort islands in New England. A pretty authentic experience too, imo. Its very much a working island still, the largest lobstering port in Maine I believe. You call down to the docks in the morning with your order and when the boats come in in the afternoon, they bring a crate of fresh lobsters right to your door. Its awesome. No one really swims in the ocean here, because its rocky and cold. But the main industry used to be granite mining, and the old quarries are now nice swimming holes. Lots of nature trails as well. There are a few beaches which are fantastic for rock and sea glass collecting, if thats your thing. Try Seal Cove for swimming (if you dont mind cold water). or Lanes Island for cliffs and rocky beaches. Booth's Quarry is the better of the two quarries for swimming, imo. The downtown is small, but quaint. Lodging is very limited, but I can't really comment on this as we stay in a house. The sister island of North Haven is nice as well but even more sparsely populated. Known more as an artist's colony. From the high point on the island you can look north and see Cadillac Mtn and Acadia. Isle-au-Haut is the most remote of the fox islands but can be nice to visit. Actually, I believe its technically part of acadia but physically separated.

Thats my recommendation, anyways. the south maine beaches can be nice but are also very touristy and too many damn Quebecois now. I'm actually taking a trip into the interior of Maine this weekend, i guess i'll have to report back if there's anything noteworthy.

Also, Katahdin is arguably the most spectacular hike in New England (check out the knife's edge trail) but its waayyy up there and requires advance planning.
>>
File: 1499009537538.jpg (37KB, 562x537px) Image search: [Google]
1499009537538.jpg
37KB, 562x537px
>>1269673
Thanks for your helpful post, friend. I was originally planning on renting out an AirBnB for 6 nights in Portland, but traveling around and staying in different cities sounds like a good idea, too. The only problem is I don't want to spend too much money. Granted, 6 nights with an AirBnB in portland is more than $550...
>>
>>1269673
Also

>tfw no Maine gf
>>
File: 1499150089938.gif (1MB, 262x323px) Image search: [Google]
1499150089938.gif
1MB, 262x323px
>>1269761
>No one really swims in the ocean here, because its rocky and cold.

Damn, but that doesn't surprise me in the least.

>There are a few beaches which are fantastic for rock and sea glass collecting, if thats your thing.

Such as, m8?

>Try Seal Cove for swimming (if you dont mind cold water). or Lanes Island for cliffs and rocky beaches. Booth's Quarry is the better of the two quarries for swimming, imo. The downtown is small, but quaint.

I'll try to check this out if time permits.

Thanks for your recommendations, friend.
>>
>>1267791
It's too bad your base is in portland. I'd recommend hitting central and northern Maine.
>>
>>1269775
That's just a southern Maine liberal hippy. They're really no different from ones you see in Boston.
>>
File: 1498941499946.jpg (120KB, 514x536px) Image search: [Google]
1498941499946.jpg
120KB, 514x536px
>>1270435
Any places in particular? I actually convinced one of my family members to come up with me, so I'll be driving to Maine now. I'll probably stay the first two nights in Portland, and then I'll stay in a night or two in both Augusta and Bangor.
>>
>>1270438
How does one woo a southern Maine liberal hippy?
>>
File: 325px-Maine_population_map.png (79KB, 325x325px) Image search: [Google]
325px-Maine_population_map.png
79KB, 325x325px
>>1270447
>I'm going on a trip to Boston, wanna go?
Then don't go and take her home.

>>1270444
Nothing. I mean that seriously, there is nothing in central Maine and it's pretty neat. Otherwise, if you like people, drive up the coast and through towns like Rockland and Boothbay Harbor.
>>
>>1270459
Living in central Maine sounds comfy af, desu.

>tfw moving to Maine so I can immerse myself in nature and work on my fiction writing

>if you like people, drive up the coast and through towns like Rockland and Boothbay Harbor.

This may sounds like a silly question, but what am I supposed to do when visiting said small coastal towns?
>>
>>1270462
>but what am I supposed to do when visiting said small coastal towns?

eat food and talk to random people. If they aren't busy or with a group you can catch good conversation here and there. I know some harbors have lobster boat tours that take you out onto the water. Just walking around harbors is also pretty neat in it of itself.
>>
File: 34985505924_f04aafdce3_b.jpg (359KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
34985505924_f04aafdce3_b.jpg
359KB, 1024x1024px
>>1267791
Was camping up in oxford county this weekend and went for a morning swim at pic related, was pretty magical and had the place all to myself for like 2 hours. Went mineral hunting after and found some sweet tourmaline. There's plenty of outdoorsy stuff to be had in the interior of the state, depending on how intrepid of an explorer you are.
>>
family and i are driving up new england to bar harbor this month for a week, hitting martha's vineyard(1day), salem(1/2day), kennebunkport(1.5 days), and then the BH area with fox islands like >>1269761 said(3 days).
Are we missing any absolutely essential destinations?
>>
personal experiences with cost of living, job market, freedoms, etc?
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.