[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could save 50% if I book a round trip with a layover in Istanbul.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_3996.jpg (140KB, 1280x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3996.jpg
140KB, 1280x640px
Could save 50% if I book a round trip with a layover in Istanbul. Is the city safe for an American and should I airbnb or stay at a hotel for the night?
>>
>>1266345
It's safe. Enjoy..
>>
it is as safe as US, don't worry. Book an hostel or hotel around Besiktas area. You will like it.
>>
>>1266345
>it's safe

It's not that safe, but it's fine. Watch your back, if you are alone avoid touts at all costs. It's an awesome city and it's worth seeing so definitely go for it, just don't think there aren't some threats here and there in Istanbul.
>>
>>1266353
>>1266357
I grew up in Atlanta, Georgia so I've been used to evading slums. I'm going with my gf though so I don't think I'll do a hostel, we wanted something a bit more private. Is the area around the airport nice or should I try to venture out during the night for good street food and all?
>>
>>1266371
Go to the markets and bazaars for good street food. If you decide to settle down in a restaurant, just make sure that it's not one of the ones on the main street (they are SERIOUSLY over priced).

Also, keep your eye open for pick-pockets and try to stay away from crowded areas. Keep an eye on the news to make sure the political situation hasn't changed (if it has, you'll feel it in Istanbul first)
>>
>>1266371
Area around airport is not nice, it is full of commie blocks and away from boshporus.

Besiktas is really nice to hang out at night, you can get the chance to see how Turkish people enjoy the night in center of Besiktas which is called "Besiktas Carsi". You can drink "Rakı" and enjoy "Meze".

But if you want someplace close to Airport;
If the airport is SAW, you should stay in Kadıköy and you can find a lot of street food, pubs etc.

For IST airport, you can stay in Sultanahmet(this is the old town) maybe, or Bakırköy if you really want to be close to it.
>>
>>1266345
Istanbul is cleaner and safer than any city I've ever been in
>>
>>1266345
Been there 2 years ago and instantly became one of my favourite cities.

Food is awesome and Hagia Sophia is one of the most spectacular places I've ever been to.

It's safe if you're not stupid. Obviously is not Norway or Japan, but unless you're naive as fuck you'll be alright.

PS: Try the "fish sandwich" (sorry, forgot the name) in Eminonu. It may sound disgusting, but it's really tasty.
>>
>>1266371
>I grew up in Atlanta, Georgia so I've been used to evading slums.

It's not really the slums, it's the people in the tourist areas that will get overly aggressive with you and all that. I'm not trying to make it out to be a high risk area, just letting you know people might harass you and try to grab your shit if they can, it's just one of those types of tourist areas.

I was there about 6 years ago, so maybe things have changed but I remember the area was kind of in the middle of nowhere. It's going to be a bit of a ride into the city, and remember that for your return flight. And look out for the typical shit like a guy acting like it's his job to help people with their bags then shaking you down for a tip or whatever.
>>
>>1266561
it's balik ekmek, many vendors are under the galata bridge entrances
>>
>>1266345
I was just watching Anthony Bourdain go to Istanbul and a big talking point among people he spoke to was that a lot of nice old buildings are rich cultural centers are being destroyed to make way for new developments.

Is this true? Is now the time to see Istanbul before too much of it is lost? Do any Turkish anons/Istanbul natives have anything to say about this?
>>
>>1266671
That sparked off a major protest a few years ago and, yes, much of the city looks like a permanent construction site because it's urbanizing so quickly. Now's actually a good time to go because you can get some very good prices on flights and accommodation because the ignorant and paranoid are staying away because of the regional conflicts and terror threat, but Istanbul's as safe as any other major European city in that regard. I'm going in October for the first time in 4 years and I can't wait.
>>
Is there a nightlife in Istambul? Is it as religious as other islamic countries? Does it compare to Beirut?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.