[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you know if a room/apartment for rent you've found

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: casale lussuoso casole d'elsa 4.jpg (186KB, 1600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
casale lussuoso casole d'elsa 4.jpg
186KB, 1600x1066px
How do you know if a room/apartment for rent you've found - let's say, on Craiglist - is not a fraud? Owners usually ask you to pay the deposit in advance, before your arrival: how do you get the guarantee they're not stealing your money through the internet?
>>
>>1265435
There is no guarantee, but you could always google the place/renter to see if anything suspicious comes up.
>>
>Owners usually ask you to pay the deposit in advance, before your arrival
to me that means an obvious scam.
>>
>>1265450
I'd add googling the pics to that as well
>>
>>1265435
>let's say, on Craiglist
I think if there was some accountability, they wouldn't be on that specific site, except for longer term rentals, which it'd be fine. Ask if they rent their property elsewhere, airbnb, a local realtor, or somewhere else that has an intermediary, and do the booking through that. If you can pay by a credit card, that you can reverse the charge on, do that.

If you are well able financially to gamble sometimes, then you'll know there are good things you can get when you take risks when you travel, provided you can recover easily from any negative choices you make that don't pan out. If not getting this or your deposit back ruins your vacation, then it's not a risk for you. If you'll shrug, get pissed off, but easily book a hotel or somewhere else last minute, then think about it looking into the mailing address, the owner's web presence,, email or other kind of brick and mortar accountability to prosecute later for mail fraud, if anything. Zillow the property, look at owner records. Talk to someone you know in law, real estate or hit up some forums on the matter.
>>
>>1265521
>>Owners usually ask you to pay the deposit in advance, before your arrival
>to me that means an obvious scam.
Maybe, maybe not.
My renters in a hotspot seasonal condo, prepay the following year the minute they arrive and see their friends are still renting nearby. They pay $15k for 3 months, in cash, a year in advance to secure the unit. They get a lease that they can freely back out of, but lose a portion of the deposit, which would be profit, since any rental I'd do last minute would be easy to obtain.

Someone asking for your deposit is typical of a nicer property where the damages can be so great, or if they incur a pre-cleaning maid visit, or pay someone to deliver a key for them. It can also ensure you are not a fraud too, who can and will pay all of their bill, and have enough money in this world that you might have some class and be fine around their treasured vacation home filled with their nice collection of things.
>>
>>1265435
Use Airbnb or VRBO where the owners have been reviewed by other travelers. If you want to scrape by on craigslist you do so at your own risk.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.