[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

anyone travelling now? or away from home as a solo traveller?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 5

File: camping.jpg (122KB, 900x491px) Image search: [Google]
camping.jpg
122KB, 900x491px
How's your trip going so far? where are you and where are you going?
>>
Going to start a six-month sort-of-solo trip in a week.

Honestly not that excited, but I'm sure I'll be having fun once I'm gone.
>>
Just finished 2 weeks in Senegal; now in Morocco staying in a comfy little city until I think of something better to do with myself.
>>
>>1263265
i am about to drive over a couple state, not really traveling desu
>>
>>1263265
First day in NZ, in Auckland right now. Headed to a few spots around either island over the next couple of weeks. I think it's going pretty well, no one has murdered me yet
>>
I'm backpacking in Burma at the moment and it is my first time traveling solo. I'm not really enjoying it. I'm a bit home sick.
>>
>>1263601

Give us the rundown on solo travel in Burma.

I'm going there early next year solo but have no clue what to expect...
>>
>>1263406
>>1263464
>>1263582
>>1263600
do you all have your travels planned out like where your going to go along the way and what your going to do or are you all just "winging" it.
>>
>>1263632
I'm a pretty meticulous planner. I had planned on staying with a friend of mine in south Morocco but he suddenly got a job offer in Chefchaouen, which I fucking hate, so I'm just staying with his mother.
>>
>>1263639
oh really? i used to think that most travelers does wing it and make it up as they go along.
>>
>>1263642
I did when I was young and had no obligations.
>>
>>1263643
was it worth it? did it all work out? would you do it again?
>>
in sweden right now for two months with my bf.
I honestly wasn't expecting it to be so hot. Otherwise, the people seem very nice and it's fun walking through Slottsskogen in the morning hunting for mushrooms.
>>
>>1263265
>How's your trip going so far? where are you and where are you going?
good / Petrozavodsk / Anchorage
>>
>>1263632

I usually have a rough plan based around departure dates.

For instance, I'm going to be in Mexico for about three weeks, until I take a flight out to New York and Tanzania near the end of July.

Some posters on /int/ gave me decent advice on where to go, as /trv/ just kept posting cartel memes.

Planning to do a few days in Mexico City before a weekend in Puebla and making my way downwards through the funnel. I saved a link with advice and will probably check it here and there and make some decisions based on other what other travelers tell me, but it's nothing set in stone.

I like to be flexible so I can stay an extra few days in a place or go off with somebody I meet on the road.

I used to just wing it, but nowadays I like to have a semi-solid plan to keep busy. Can't just content myself drinking every night and waking up at noon any more.
>>
I'm finishing 10 days in Poland, currently in Wroclaw. It's kind of boring really, every city is exactly the same. Old town in the center, surrounded by revamped soviet blocks, then bumfuck nothing interesting suburbs. I like WW2 and USSR history but Poland seems to want to sweep that shit under the rug to remind us about how they were once great (but not that great.) I feel like every city could have been done in a day. More so everywhere is crowded, like why are there so many tourists in Poland? I was planning to do Italy next year but if it's nearly as crowded as this then I may just say fuck it until I can travel in winter again. Maybe traveling solo or traveling in Europe aren't for me, I dunno
>>
>>1263605
Not original poster, but I recently did Burma.

I went to Burma solo, but met a girl on the bus and traveled with her for 3 weeks before splitting and traveling with a couple other people.

I think it's best to find someone to travel with through that country or at least meet people in each city you go to. It's one of the few countries that hasn't been impacted big time by tourism, at least in comparison to rest of SEA. If you're going to places other than Bagan, Yangon, and Inle Lake, you won't see many westerners and it can be quite lonely I'd imagine. The transportation is rough in the country. The buses are long and uncomfortable. Accommodation is not cheap (cheaper if you split a room with someone).

The travelers you meet in that country are definitely a much maturer crowd too. Most people I met were between ages of 26-33.

It was an awesome country and probably my most favorite in SEA Asia. I'd put Southern Thailand as my worst (I like Northern).
>>
>>1263695
Poland is one of the least interesting places in Europe, best to just get drunk and eat a lot.
Italy is incomparably more interesting. Do not go during summer, though, it's unbearably hot.
>>
>>1263695
What exactly did you expect? WW2 history is cities reduced to rubble and Soviet history is commieblocks. That's all there is to it and pretty much all that they left after themselves. There's nothing to sweep under the rug in the first place - not that anyone's even trying. Trust me, I live here and these two topics are anything but dead - the current trend is to mentally masturbate to our WW2 underground resistance. Half of our political debate still revolves around the Soviet era.
If you want to see something strictly WW2, there are the Project Riese tunnels not that far from Wrocław.
>>
>>1263683
hey! im from mexico puebla is beautiful hope you have fun!
>>
Is it possible to just have a tent, bike and some supplies, no money, and just travel where ever you like?
>>
>>1264194
sure. warmshowers and other hospitality sites may help you a lot. Even wthout them it should be reasonably easy.
A bike is a bit problematic though. You must care about it a lot (repairing and not leaving in places where it may get stolen), carry more luggage because of it, you won't be able to get to some places.
thus hitchhiking is a lighter and more versatile form of traveling. But bike is cool as well.
>>
>>1263695
have you ever tried to see something more than the war/occupation stuff?
there's tons of stuff all around. Fantastic nature, diverse culture in more rural areas, a lot of cool architecture as well.
And I have never, never seen a city in the world, that wouoldn't have boring suburbs and more interesting center.
if there's so many people who can be amazed at Poland and you aren't - maybe the problem is with you then
>>
>>1264208
>And I have never, never seen a city in the world, that wouoldn't have boring suburbs and more interesting center

Los Angeles, Seattle, Detroit all get better the further you get from downtown. Chicago has some pretty cool suburbs as well, though its not more interesting than the city itself.
>>
>>1264203
I may possibly travel Europe (I'm from Europe) this summer with very little money and just use sites like workaway/couchsurfing and hitchiking to get around. Maybe bring a tent too.

You think this would be crazy? It sounds fun but of course, reality isn't always like imagination
>>
>>1264194

No money would be an issue. It would be best to pick up odd jobs every couple months. You'll need some money for repairs and food (a lot of countries you could probably just dumpster dive in but you'll want an emergency fund). I've never traveled moneyless but it honestly just sounds miserable. I've hitchhiked a bit but when I'm not in the forest I get a hostel bed.

I'm bought a touring bike though because I'm too introverted and get tired of talking to the people who pick me up.

Check out this dude https://www.youtube.com/user/istarusIG
>>
>>1264244
it's not crazy at all. there are tens if not hundreds of thousands of hitchikers in europe. And they all manage just fine.

of course it's not the easiest way of traveling.
firstly, don't be an idiot. Think ahead, prepare well.
secondly, be creative, have will to face the problems and not to run away from them. Don't give up once the first troublesome sitution happens.

I used to never spend a cent while hitchiking, I was doing this for nine years already. (sometimes I had to spend some, but it was never more than 1/3 of what I'd spend for food at home. Plus visas.)
for basic info, hitchwiki.org.
also, keep in mind, that /trv/ isn't very hitchiker-friendly at times. It's not something to be discouraged about.

but please, please please - don't be an idiot and don't be a jerk. Then it should go smoothly.
>>
>>1263265
Stuck in Tallahassee, Florida waiting on the next megabus. Been going around Florida, now on my way over to New Orleans, but I fucked up my planning and got stuck for 4 days in Tally and it's been pouring rain the entire time.
Anyone know anything to do here? I'm really bored.
>>
>>1264257
Thanks bud,
I'm going ahead and circling Europe in August. Something thing I've been aspiring to do for a good couple of years now.

Are you a hitchhiker/backpacker? If so, where about are you now?,
>>
>>1264290
no probs.
I've been hitchiking for 9 years already, have 50 000km done. I mostly prefer northern Asia and middle East.

Currently at home, poland. I'm thinking about going to Kazakhstan this year. Or Caucasus at the very least
>>
File: old-man-on-laptop.jpg (277KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
old-man-on-laptop.jpg
277KB, 1280x853px
>>1264292
Oh wow, that's awesome.

I have a question regarding camping, although it may not be legal, have you gotten away with pitching in a random grassy area like a park or something?

And what do you do in emergency food situations?
Do you use any sites to aid you on your journeys?

Thanks for the response
>>
>>1264292
Oh, and how do you plan your trips?

If you go Kazakhstan would you just book a flight, point to places you'd like to see on a map, and then go?
>>
>>1264294
Camping is either legal, or in the grey zone of illegality - if you're mindful and nice, people usually don't care.

there were some situations, where I would just find a piece of roof next to some house in a village and sleep there because of rain or whatever. In the morning the owner would find me, and seeing I woke up, just tell me not to worry and go about their business.

sometimes you'll sleep in the park or on some lawn or whatever - just try to hide, don't destroy anything, don't make any trouble.
In Georgia the cops themselves would usually tell me to set my tent in the park when asked. It wasn't EU though, don't try that in EU.

I don't have much to do in the cities anyway, so I usually just get to the suburbs in the evening, find a place that's out of the city, with nice bushes, and sleep there. I stopped carrying tents, since I don't use them. There's always a roof to sleep under when it rains. And if it's not raining, why on earth would I need a tent?

Couchsurfing's also nice, but it forces you to make your plans, schedules and stuff. I gave up quickly.

there are no emergency food situations. The food simply comes to me. Sometimes drivers share it (I never ask for it, but some people feel like it anyway. That's great), there's dumpster diving, but I never used it. There are tons of fruit trees growing everywhere near human settlings. Buying cheap in the market shouldn't be hard either, once you finally realise you don't really need sweets and other shit. Just one bread, maybe jam. Or rice to cook?

you are European, thus you definitely have no less than 10kg of meat you carry around all the time. With this you can give up on eating entirely for a month.

the secret is not to be scared of hunger. It comes and goes, it does no harm.
>>
>>1264297
cont.
no sites for me, since I don't travel with electronics. That shit is expensive, so may be stolen. It can also get easily destroyed and needs recharging. That's too much effort if you ask me.

but you have to find your own way. Try everything, see what works. Don't be afraid.

>>1264296
I don't use plains. I'll go through whatever country lies in between.

And I don't plan. I simply ask locals and get lost.
I love strange things to happen and I love to meet different people on my ways. And nature is beautiful anywhere.
>>
Solobro here, over the past four weeks I have gone to lisbon, porto, madrid, barcelona, paris. Currently in zurich. I have three more weeks of travel but won't be solo anymore. I'm kind of exhausted desu, but it should be better when I meet up with my friend. I've had a wonderful time though.
>>
>>1264297
>And if it's not raining, why on earth would I need a tent?
Would you have a sleeping bag? What if it's cold?
I'm so intrigued

Your food situation is reassuring , your insight really helps and i'll take it to heart when I'm on the road.
Another thing I wanted to ask about is hitchhiking? Would you say it's better to hike in cities or country?

Have you ever found a job/volunteer opportunity while passing through a town/city?

>
And I don't plan. I simply ask locals and get lost.
I love strange things to happen and I love to meet different people on my ways. And nature is beautiful anywhere.

That sounds wonderful
Thanks again!
>>
>>1264299
How much money have you spent on that trip? Want to do Europe solo next summer
>>
>>1264305
I wasn't visiting on a budget. I probably spent 500 over ten days in portugal. Maybe 600 over ten days in spain. 600 for a week in paris. Zurich is extremely expensive, I got here yesterday and am leaving tomorrow.

That's including hostels, food, attractions etc. I stayed in 4 or 6 bed dorms in hostels. I can give you some hostel recommendations if you like. All of the ones I stayed in had key card access to the room, and some had card access for the lockers too. A few had their own bathroom.
>>
>>1264303
the sleeping bag is the single most important thing you'll ever need. Without it, you simply can't go and hope it'll be alright. Find something with protective colors and warm. Those sheets-thin sleeping bags are good for nothing. Of course don't overdo it, by bringing alpinistic-grade stuff to spain in the summer. Old army stuff is a great choice.
Oh, and get that tent for the first trip. Just in case, before you learn yourself how to manage without it.

I try to avoid the cities unless I want to go to some market/ antique shop/ visit a friend
Big, fast road let you ride faster, small roads let you catch more cars. So it depends. Just learn what you like the most and go with it, it's a very personal thing.

I never looked for any jobs, since I don't really use money while traveling. But it isn't too hard, I heard. Depends on what you can do and where you are. Nordic countries used to be one of the better places to do so.

And one more thing - don't take the expensive stuff with you. If you own nothing, nobody can steal from you. Furthermore, if you take some old secondhand jeans, you can just throw them away the first moment you start disliking them (because they are too heavy/are very dirty/ watever) Same goes for anything.
>>
>>1264309
I should add- i took trains everywhere except from porto to madrid, where I flew. I made the mistake of booking through raileurope where it's pretty expensive. Train tickets are fairly cheap, generally, if you book through the rail company's site
>>
>>1264310
Thank you so, so much for this information. It's a blessing , man.

Last thing, do you use/hop trains? Would it be worth getting a Eurorail pass? I have put off getting one because they're too expensive and I'm not sure that I'll be using trains for travel that much. It's just uncertainty really.
>>
>>1264313
Glad I can help.

I never used any trains. They are slow (well, in eastern europe at least), drop you in the city centers and don't allow the communication as good as hitchhiking does. Some of my friends did it without tickets, but that's a complicated game. And why risk if you can get the same effect legally?

As for the pass - it's damn expensive. It's designed for people, who have a lot of cash and sleep in hostels most of the time (or who sleep in the trains. But there you really risk some thieves). That's not to say it's entirely bad. It mostly depends on what do you want to get from traveling. If you like contact with people, hitchhiking's way better. If you are more of a lone wolf and just want to get somewhere - it might be more desirable to use trains.

Just remember that hitchhiking isn't for everybody. Learn the basics before you go too far away from home. But be daring.

btw where are you from/ how old are you?
>>
>>1264317
I see, i won't get a pass then. I just don't think i'd use it much and I want to stick to country/villages more so than cities - unless there's a sight/event I want to see.

I want to experience , something. I want to meet people and talk and hear/see what life's like. I defiantly want to hitchhike, it's just that the fact I've never done it before is daunting. But from what you've said, and the link to that hitch website, I'm a lot more confident.
Would you say it's better to hitch in countries more so than others? I'm starting in Italy.
I've heard France is good for hitching .

I'm 21yrs old, from UK. I've been through Europe before but only on holiday's and only stayed in hotel's in the city etc
>>
>>1264160
Fuck the tunnels would have been cool, wish I'd have seen this sooner.
>>1264208
I dunno really, I've only traveled Asia really and everything there is interesting even if it's sometimes a shithole. Poland felt entirely too normal, I thought it would feel more foreign. The architecture was really cool and I saw some nice museums but like I said no city really had more than a day worth of stuff that was really fascinating.
>>
>>1264309
>>1264311
Thanks for the info, I would love some hostel recommendations, new to traveling alone
>>
>>1264322
yeah, there are some harder and easier countries indeed.
The worst is Spain, followed by Austria. Netherlands is tricky, but it's not that bad. Germany is tricky as well, because there's so many highways. This means you'll most likely stand on gas stations mostly. So you either find a good gas station and get a lift soon or you'll lose one day waiting in a bad place, not able to move anywhere.
Italy isn't too easy either, but it's doable. Just be patient. Remember to have a lot of water with you, since it's very hot in the summer.

The easiest countries are Poland, Balkan countries,, Baltic countries. France is cool as well, Portugal too.

Be sure to put your backpack in a visible place, so that the drivers know what are you doing and can trust you.

In fact trust is the most important thing about hitchhiking. You trust the driver, they trust you. that's the hardest, but also the most rewarding part about it. it's also the reason why so many people don't do it.
The only exemption from trust is to never, never stop caring and even fearing about your backpack. It's very rare for a driver to steal it from you, but I heard stories of it happening. Try to always have it close to you, etc.

the bottom line is - go to Italy for a challenge, or go to Croatia for a complete chillout, since it's a very similar place, but a lot easier to hitchhike in.
>>
>>1264406
Mega thanks for all the help,

I'll be setting out next month, maybe we could join up somewhere if I pass through Poland?
>>
File: texeira.jpg (119KB, 539x960px) Image search: [Google]
texeira.jpg
119KB, 539x960px
>>1264406
>>1264297

I traveled like this for 4 months in Brazil (I am BR). I didn't use a tent and slept in abandoned buildings, in city beaches,in the streets with the homeless, in occupations, gas stations or in social houses. I was only with a sleepbag and a CCF mat has sleep system. I did use electronics, including a kindle. It is easy to acquire cheap electronics in places like "cracklands". I kept myself most of times in cities. Never saw any real violence and I was in cities like top 10 BR's most highest murder rate. But I did listen to rumors of violence. I also hitchhiked for means of transportation.

I am thinking on upgrading my gear with a hammock and tarp system.

Do you use some cooking system?
What you do when you reach a place for fun? How do you interact with the locals? What type of locals do you (or can you) interact?
How old are you? I think I'm starting too old, 30.
What is the approximatly weight of everything you carry?
Do you busk? Do you beg? Do you ask for food at restaurants?
Do you have any experience in Latin America or high murder rate places?

Pic related. I actually don´t juggle balls or sell anything, but I want to. It's a very traditional south american way of travel. I regret to have ended my travels when I was with a group that I could had learned. But like you, I don't really need money when traveling.
>>
>>1264527
who knows?
I have some obligations at the end of July. Later, maybe.
take this email. We'll see. But I can't promise anything now
[email protected]

>>1264571
I'm 24, but I've seen a guy who was doing really fine at the age of 50. Being too old is just in your brain.

Hammock sounds perfect, provided there are trees in the country you're going to.

I never cook, since it takes a lot of time and effort. I go to sleep when I'm very tired, wake up and immediately go further. Making a fire takes time and I like to travel as fast as possible, until I encounter something worthwhile.

For fun I just like to discover and learn. Any strange situation will do and most of different types of people are fine for me. Still, I'm not a huge fan of bars and I hate alcohol, so that's not my piece of fun at all
I carry around 10 kilos, but I return with 20, cause I take many stones and cool stuff home with me.
No beging, no busking, no asking. If I really have to, I buy some cheap stuff. But it happens rarely. I really like feeling hunger, so it makes it a lot easier for me.
Some of my friends bask and they highly recommend it. But it's an art of itself. You must learn what, where and when to do. And how. I'm not knowledgious enough to help you here.

I've never been to a place I'd consider especially dangerous. I've never been to any of the Americas or something. But I think hitchhikers aren't really endangered here. Nobody will enter the car and ride a 100km just to search for a hitchhiker to murder. They could ride for weeks and find no opportunities.

How often does it rain in Brasil?
>>
>>1264581
>How often does it rain in Brasil?

This question is a little nonsense since Brazil is huge. But on avarage rains a lot, particularly in the cost lines. Hitchhiking isn't dangerous, but the homeless situation can be.
>>
>>1264581
No problem, I'll hit you up later.
I've delayed until mid August and will pass through Poland later in the year.

All the best again and thanks for everything
>>
>>1264219
European cities have a nicer centre, as european cities are mostly built before mass transport. American cities are mostly built during the time of mass transport, so rich people could live outside the centre, thus making the centre not as nice. In europe the rich lived in the centre because there were no busses, trams and cars to move far from the centre.
>>
>>1263265
In Taiwan doing a Workaway thing. It's pretty good, but I'm probably leaving soon. Not sure if I want to go home or maybe go to Japan or SE Asia and do something over there.
>>
>>1263265
I'm taking a 20 hour train ride to Chicago for my gfs graduation and I'm worried about motion sickness. I've never puked from it, but the uneasiness is enough to keep me up all night. Does anyone have any simple remedies?
>>
>>1264331
For Lisbon and Porto I recommend the Yes! hostel. Goofy name aside, it was excellent. Key card access to your room and locker. I didn't stay in the Lisbon one, but I stayed at Yes! in Porto, so I can only imagine the Lisbon hostel is just as good. I stayed at the Lisb'on hostel, didn't like it much. At Yes!, the staff were wonderful, and, if you didn't feel like going out for dinner, they prepared a three course meal each night with an open bar for ten euros. It was a good way to make some friends. Both are located downtown and it's easy to walk to the attractions. Free breakfast.

In Madrid I stayed at Ok Hostel Madrid, pretty much the same story as above. Keycard access to the rooms, but you'll want a padlock for the room locker. The rooms here had their own bathrooms which was great. Located right in the middle of downtown Madrid so you can easily walk everywhere. 3 Euro breakfast, not worth it. Friendly staff. 10 Euros for dinner, well worth it - three courses and an open bar. Again, wonderful way to make some friends.

In Barcelona I stayed at Sant Jordi Gracia, this is a nice area of the city because it's much less touristy. You get better quality food for a lower price. This hostel had card access for both room and locker. Dinner is also free, but tips are encouraged. It's usually pretty good, although lacking in protein. Gracia is a little further away from some of the tourist attractions, but in Barcelona they're pretty spread out anyway so it doesn't matter too much. You can just take the metro, it's pretty efficient. 3.50 Euro breakfast, not worth it.

Paris I stayed at Beautiful City Hostel & Hotel. Card access to room, you need a padlock for the locker. Rooms had their own bathroom. Free breakfast. Friendly staff. Located in a nice, non-touristy area of the city. You can easily go everywhere in Paris by Metro. This hostel is near the largest cemetery in the city, and also a large park with a lake. Both worth checking out.
>>
>>1263695
Do Rome in winter time. No lines to wait in you can just enter everything and the weather is nice and mild. Went in January for 2 weeks was really nice weather.
Only the blacks are fucking annoying trying to haggle you for money And I do mean EVERY SINGLE ONE. The are all trying to talk to you just to haggle for money.
>>
>>1264643
Did you hitchike through Portugal and Spain? I'm thinking of doing the same this summer, but I'm...well, afraid. I'm from Portugal, so the idea was to start here and then do Spain, for a change, since I've never been there. I have a very tight budget though, I'd love to do this while sleeping in a tent and not having to go to hostels.
Can you share your experience?
>>
>>1264766
not the one you're asking, but I'm
>>1264292
>>1264297

I've been to Spain and Portugal and I've heard many stories from my friends.

There's nothing to fear, but what you plan isn't really the easiest thing to do.

First of all, Portugal is just cool. People are very nice and hospitable, there is absolutley no problem with food and you'll be getting a lift in no time.

But Spain - that's a different story. it's officially illegal to hitchhike there (you won't be fined or sent to jail, but they can tell you to get away and fuck off)
People are mostly afraid of hitchhikers for some reason, mostly in the western part. They stop *very* rarely for you. Waiting at some spot for one or two days isn't uncommon. But that's not to say you can't go really fast there. Ask yourself whether you feel lucky.
Talking with them on gas stations helps a lot, so try to use it for your advantage.
Also, no trucks will take you. Every single truck company has a policy outright disallowing the drivers taking anybody. that's really a shame.

But once the Spainards trust you and take you in the car - they are just lovely. NIce, caring, helping. I have a friend who was driven extra 500km by one Spanish guy, just because. They are really cool.

So if I were you,I'd either just go around Portugal or go to notheastern part of the country, cross Spain as fast as possible and enter France - it will be super easy to hitchhike again, once you cross the border.
Money should not be a problem in any of those countries, because of all the fruit trees growing around. Dumpster diving is a thing there as well, check according wiki for the basics and train it at home. There's always lots of space to set a tent as well. And you can also sleep on the streets in Spain - no law against it, but a lot of thieves, so be smart and take care.
>>
>>1263265
I'll be starting a trip around China on Wednesday. It will only be for a few weeks and I don't have any plans or expectations because I can't find the motivation to form any. I'll be traveling alone and will probably end up visiting three to four cities. I've been in China for a few months and have been around enough to expect nothing beautiful or exciting. I asked myself why I'm even going on the trip rather than flying back home and I had no convincing answer. But the flight's already booked and I'll try to make sure it doesn't get boring. I made another thread for recommendations; if anyone has any ideas, I'll keep them in mind.
>>
>>1264882
with this attitude?
forget it, you'll have a terrible time anyway
>>
>>1263265
Just started my trip. Going west and i was supose to meet some friends at a rockfest. They said meet at the usual spot but theyre not there and not answering their phone. Just chilling in my 1 man tent while everyone is playing loud music and im wondering if i should just kill myself already. Glad you ask about my trip ty
>>
>>1264884
>forget it, you'll have a terrible time anyway
I'd forget it but the flight is booked already. I'm good at not having a terrible time, I just know what I like and what I'm interested in so it's safe to say that it won't be exceptional either. Trying to convince myself otherwise might work, but why bother? I don't really travel to have a good time.
>>
>>1264899
>why bother?
no point, I agree

but why bother the others then?
>>
>>1264908
I try my best not to bother anyone. I'm sorry if my post bothered you.
>>
File: IMG-20170522-WA0001.jpg (88KB, 1600x451px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170522-WA0001.jpg
88KB, 1600x451px
I've been on the roads through central america towards south america, currently in nicaragua since April.

I skipped mexico but have done Belize -> Guatemala -> Costa Rica -> Nicaragua, next stops are south of San Jose to work my way down Panama. When I started I told myself I will never go to Columbia but I am starting to reconsider. Price difference between flights fron Panama City to Columbia instead of Peru are just too good.

The plan is then to work my way through some parts of columbia by shuttle or bus towards Peru, Bolivia and Chile. I don't really care about the other countries for now, or at least I haven't seen anything that strikes me really worth seeing or doing.

Anyone have experience with that route im looking forward to? Any tips or questions appreciated
>>
I'm gonna do one month in ethiopia in december, any recommendations? so far planning on visiting the simien mountains for trekking and harar in the east, might split it into 3 weeks ethiopia and 1 week djibouti tho
>>
>>1264766
I took a train from lisbon to porto, flew from porto to madrid, train from madrid to barcelona. It was all very cheap. I don't know how hitch hiking would go
>>
I'm alone right now standin lutside of a tapas bar because I have social anxiety I should have never done this
>>
>>1265605
Go inside and buy some shit. No one will ever remember who you are no matter how hard you sperg out.
>>
In Laos

did two months in china, one in thailand, one between cambodia and laos

not really sure what I want to do next, a bit sick of the region
I planned the chinese section properly and had a much better time there, the rest was just an afterthought and SEA is all shit up by first time traveler brats and sex tourists
>>
>>1263265

10th month in, been to India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Myanmar, now in Vietnam. Spent 6 months of this time in India. So it's my favourite of all them. I'm having a bit or travel burnout now, at the point of not caring about meeting fellow travellers and regurgitating the same life story. I don't really know what to do, maybe find a job here in Saigon? or go home? I spent 200 bucks on hookers last night when I was drunk so this has kind of depressed me today.
>>
>>1264194

i biked from berlin to copenhagen with a tent, took like 8 days and cost me less than 20 euros, could've made it cheaper
>>
Currently backpacking through Vietnam. I like the place but hate the people, but that's pretty much how I feel about SEA as a whole. I hate the heat too I guess.
>>
>>1266296 why do you hate the people? Theyve all been cool to me
>>
>>1266296

people here are pretty nice, just not as friendly as Thailand or India. They seem reserved but not dicks.
>>
>>1266065
What do you eat?
>>
>>1266552

actually they are definitely burnt out by toruists, walking into a guest house where no one greats you is just rude.
>>
>>1265883
Do you have experience with less lenghty travel? I am not sure about either just traveling 1 full month and repeat a few months later.. or going 3+ months in 1 go.
>>
>>1263632
wing it
>>
>>1266651

yeah, even in this trip after India and Sri Lanka, I wasn't jaded, that was 7 months, I'd say this was a perfect amount. Right now I just can't be bothered to do anything. Decided to go home on september 1st. then it will be one year I was away.
>>
Spent 1.5 months in Colombia about a year ago. Definitely go. Wasnt in my plan either but found a $63 one way from ft lauderdale fl after i missed a flight to lima. Most gorgeous women on the planet and great locals to help you out. Top sites for me were cartagena (amazing walled old town right on the sea with beach day trips - eat arepas costenas at donde magola), medellin (nightlife) and to the south the area around pereira, especially town of salento (eje cafetero, you can tour coffee fincas and learn the whole process). If you have more time and want to go way off the path, check out mompox/mompos. Only access is buses then ferry but worth it. There's a pizza place there run by an Austrian guy that will blow your mind. It's got a giant fork outside the door. Kept hearing Bogota was a shithole but found it quite pleasant, calmer than medellin, especially the hillside area above the main square.
>>
>>1264939
See >>1267502
>>
File: 1466742631466.gif (492KB, 500x260px) Image search: [Google]
1466742631466.gif
492KB, 500x260px
Going to be taking a road trip around the US. Does anyone have any experience with sleeping in their car? I don't want to spend out the ass for lodging.
Tips? Tricks?
>>
>>1264939
Also if you like weird borders leticia is really cool, it's at the peru/col/brazil tripoint. Pleasant amazon outpost. Can fly there from bogota. Also can ride thr henry fleet of amazon Barges from pucallpa >iquitos > leticia from Peru side, takes long but is a fun experience to look back on. Hammock sleeping is a challenge for me though so I had a rough time. Iquitos is wild. Popular Ayahuasca tour jumping off point. Enjoyed colombian amazon (leticia) a lot more tho. I just vibe better w Colo than I do peru.
>>
Just arrived at my hostel in hvar, Croatia. After spending the whole on the road I'm exhausted and decided to get some rest.

This place is full of drunk groups of people though. Ah well. Hopefully tomorrow night I can find some people to adopt me and party with them.

Going to be on hvar for 4 days, am going to spend two weeks exploring Croatia.
>>
Finishing 9 months of backpacking in NZ tomorrow. To be completely honest I don't want to go back home. This has been the best time of my life
>>
>>1264310
Hey man you say you dont really need money, then may I ask you, how do you eat?
>>
>>1268167
just as I explained in the second part of my earlier post:
>>1264297

I really don't need to eat much. Nobody really needs as much as they actually eat.
>>
>>1267620
Go to splitvis nature park near Zagreb if you're around that area you won't regret it
>>
I travelled to the depths of my own mind. It's cold and I'm scared.
>>
I'm leaving early August. Spending 4 days in Paris, 3 in Prague, 4 in Helsinki. First time traveling. Traveling solo. Kind of getting apprehensive about it. Feel like it was a dumb idea and I'll just end up lonely and depressed most of the time. Well, I'm still going, hopefully I enjoy it.
>>
In Moscow right now.

Leaving for St Petersburg on friday for a week then moscow for another two weeks.

Awesome so far. Really cool country.

On a side note, how is the water in St Petersburg? Drinking tap water is a no go but what about washing fruit/veg/dishes and drinking coffee?
>>
>>1269713
Go island hopping in Helsinki. Its fucking awesome.

Like 10 euros for the entire day, boats come hourly.

Was there lastweek. Pretty cool city
>>
I've been to Belarus and am in the Ukraine now. Going to Italy tomorrow
>>
>>1269731
I drink tap water everywhere in Russia, it's not India.
>>
>>1269713
Why are you going to shit cities?
>>
>>1263650
Petrozavodsk?
>>
>>1264292
Czy jesteś z Zamościa lub okolic?
>>
>>1264194
Friend of mine biked from Amsterdam to Constanta, can be done
>>
Left for Antwerp yesterday with two friends (we're Dutch).
The plan was to visit tons of trappist/other brewing abbeys. Turns out nobody wants visitors. Had a great time day drinking in the city.

Went to the Anal triangle which consists of the villages of Reet, Kontich and Aartselaar. Reet, Kont and Aars are Dutch words for Ass. So we took some pictures of those and went to Bruges.

Went to some breweries and bars here, now im working on some stuff for university.

Going to Westvleteren and ieper (WOI shit) and finish in Ghent to party. Returning home with a hangover on Friday.
>>
>>1270252
z Krakowa. A co?
>>
>>1270666
I love Krakow!
>>
>>1270264
Westvleteren will sell you extra crates of beer if you are nice.
>>
Posted in here earlier.

Just did Mexico City and Puebla, currently in Veracruz.

Fuck this heat and humidity. The fans in my dorm are terrible and I hardly slept at all last night. I need to stop kidding myself into believing that I'll ever like the beach when the mercury is high.

Going back to Mexico City tomorrow morning and spending the weekend there. Probably going to take a bus to Oaxaca Monday morning.

Flying to Dar Es Salaam on July 21st with a connection in Cairo.
>>
>>1267510
You can safely sleep in Walmart parking lots without being hasseled. Also there are websites with free camping site listings where you can pull over and sleep in your car or set up a tent.
>>
>>1270763
Oaxaca City is pretty damn hot too during the day. Good at night though.

Just don't go down to the beaches in Oaxaca if you don't like the heat. It's awful there even in the winter.
>>
>>1266296
I thought the people in Vietnamese tourist spots were the worst in SEA, but the people away from tourism were amazing, the best in SEA. Sometimes it's just a matter of a few blocks, or you could always go and explore the central highlands.
Thread posts: 107
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.