[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>no friends to travel with (no friends in general) how do

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 13

File: c700x420.jpg (119KB, 700x420px) Image search: [Google]
c700x420.jpg
119KB, 700x420px
>no friends to travel with (no friends in general)
how do you eat at restaurants or do things alone?

>can't visit any tapas or places where you're expected to share food (dim sum, izakaya, etc.), so either don't get to taste as much of the food, or spend a lot of money and gain weight
>have to eat alone while everyone else is with their friends
>if you want pictures of yourself, need to ask strangers (i dont have social media, so i never ask)

anyone else know these feels?

>tfw coworker recommends a tapas restaurant to visit at my next travel destination
>>
make friends there, with other travelers or locals or whatever

Oh wait I forgot this is 4chan
>>
>>1262959
as i wrote in my first line, i have no friends

going somewhere and instantly making friends is highly unlikely, especially when i can't hold a conversation for more than 2 seconds
>>
>>1262957
>How do you eat at restaurants or do things alone?
I say table for one and give my last name, or if it's a foreign country I just hold up a single finger and smile.

>can't visit any tapas or places where you're expected to share food (dim sum, izakaya, etc.), so either don't get to taste as much of the food, or spend a lot of money and gain weight

I have joked about breaking vacation weight gain records with the family, in Japan all of the places I ate usually had at least one table or place at the bar with a single dude there, so aside from being a foreigner I didn't really stand out. Got great ramen and izakya, good times

Dim sum is probably my least favorite kind of Chinese so I didn't miss that.
Lucky me.

I always dress up nice and eat alone at fancy resturants with a bottle of wine. It make me feel like the Godfather or something, but probably more like ReviewBrah desu. Sometimes I have a casual chat with the waiter, sometimes the chef will either bring me some sort of special treat, but not always, so don't count on it.

>if you want pictures of yourself, need to ask strangers (i dont have social media, so i never ask)
I take pictures of my dish if it'ssomething new, I've never taken a pic of myself eating though...

>anyone else know these feels?
I do not, I'm not the lonely sort.

>tfw coworker recommends a tapas restaurant to visit at my next travel destination
Not really a fan of tapas.

If you're that concerned check /soc/ reddit, or meetups, I'm sure you could pick up a few tagalongs.
>>
I know how you feel. About half the time I make some quick friends who want to grab a beer for the afternoon and sometimes I rarely have any luck with making friends for a weeks. I'm a bipolar introvert so sometimes I want a friend when I'm lonely or if I met someone all I want to do is be alone. But most of the time I enjoy traveling by myself.

I'm a avid reader so I always pack a book in a day pack for when I eat out at a restaurant, I enjoy it and it makes me feel like less of a loner. I don't feel like I miss out of tapas or group eating things. I like going to the cheap informal restaurants anyways.

Sit at a bar and just talk to someone, ask them what to do and if they have travel advice. Sometimes this is all the social interaction I need
>>
File: DSCN0119.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0119.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
>>1262957
Hostel bro- no other way to travel alone- you'll find plenty of ppl down to hang.
>>
>>1262957
>>1262961
I have no friends either
see
>>1262971
>>
>>1262971
Yeah, this -- either stay at a hostel where there will be other foreigners, or find out where the expat/tourist bars are. Couchsurfing.com is another good option.

Being alone while traveling is exciting, personally. I like eating alone, discovering things on my own. Feels more intrepid.
>>
>>1262962
>>1262966
thanks for the advice

>>1262971
>>1262981
>>1262984
thanks, but how do i initiate talking to people at hostels and getting them to hang out or go to a restaurant with me?

i've stayed at a hostel once before. all of the roommates i had were either together and knew each other and did things together. or they had friends in the city that they met up with to spend time with
>>
>>1262989
>thanks, but how do i initiate talking to people at hostels and getting them to hang out or go to a restaurant with me?ey
I guess you're socially retarded? Just introduce yourself "hey, i'm anon from burgerland. Where's a good place to get a beer? Come on, I'll buy the first round."

I've stayed in maybe six or seven hostels and there's always been people who are eager to hang out with other foreigners.
>>
>>1262957
i know those feels.
>traveling alone in china
>speak almost zero chinese, only thing i can do is read some signs because i know japanese kanji
>sometimes i meet people to eat with but most hostels are empty (low season)
>sometimes too shy to go into shops even in my home country
>added language barrier and fear of breaking social conventions by going to restaurants alone gets me so scared i spend hours wandering around past restaurants never going in
>several times i ended up just buying pic related as my single meal for the day (in a supermarket which is easy to understand)
>every time i work up the courage to go into a restaurant i cause a huge commotion for being a foreigner and struggle to make myself understood if they don't have pictures to point at
>this makes me even more averse to going into restaurants
>one time i try at the food court of a shopping mall >the woman starts covering her face in her hands out of embarrassment until i leave because she doesn't speak english
>at the next stall i try the woman calls over her friend and tells her something, she makes me follow her to the office, apparently to get a food card that you need to have to buy food there and then just leaves me at the counter where i can't talk to anyone
i still had an enjoyable trip though instead of no trip at all, so while imho it's preferrable to travel with a friend i would go alone again if nobody was available. one advantage was that i got to go to amazing places that others would never have gone with me because they were so hard to reach.
also, knowing the local language makes a huge difference in every setting but especially so in china. In japan i had the the same experience in the other direction, knowing a bit of the language opened up so many more opportunities and the travel experience was so much deeper and more fulfilling.
>>1262962
japan is super easy for solo travelers, probably the only country where going to restaurants alone is completely normal.
>>
>>1263001
forgot pic

the packaging brings back memories
>>
>>1262989
i'm not very outgoing either and the way i experienced it was that sometimes i just got lucky and there were other solo travellers at the hostel who were willing to meet new people and other times there was no one or at least no one who wanted to spend time with me. on my last solo trip i never pushed it or even actively approached people and i still got invited out with people on two separate occasions. people are generally very open while they're on vacation, most solo travellers definitely wouldn't turn you down if you approached them about getting food together. also i always feel a little more confident and adventurous when i'm travelling since i'm already doing something cool by just being there so nobody's gonna think i'm a complete loser and most likely i'll never see those people again anyway so it doesn't matter what they think of me
>>
>>1262957
I really don't. I feel much more lonely at home than I do abroad, even when I'm traveling solo. There's always something exciting to do in a foreign country, but when you go back you're stuck with the same boring routine that eventually leads to depressive thoughts.
As for restaurants, I just don't go to them because lolpovertybudget. Street food and chain joints are fine for eating solo since you don't get bored waiting forever at the table.
>>
File: DSCN0117.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0117.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
>>1262989
What others are saying holds true- just grab a case of beer and say what's up to anyone in the commons- half the time they're bored too. You'll make friends in no time flat. Some cultures/destinations are different (Asian) for them have a game on a laptop that you can cue up- but not much socialization from ppl you have to have a game with to interact with..
>>
Is it possible to make friends in europe if you don't drink?
>>
I went to Hong Kong, home of the Dim Sum, by myself. I had minimal problem dining alone. The worst I had to deal with was being seated at occupied tables. I've been seated with other solo diners at 2-person tables. I've even been seated with 3-person parties occupying a 4-person table. I've never talked to any of the other people, except in one instance where there was confusion with an order (no shit that would happen when you sit people with no relation to each other at the same table).

I can distinctly recall one other instance where solo dining was inconvenient, and it was minor, at that. When I was in Macau, there was a certain dish that only came in a shared size, and they couldn't make a one-person portion of it. I had to order something else as a result.
>>
File: selfie stick.jpg (12KB, 780x440px) Image search: [Google]
selfie stick.jpg
12KB, 780x440px
>>1262957
If you're willing to swallow your pride, there is an incredibly simple solution to this problem.
>>
>>1263078
I have a really funny answer to that question, but I don't want to be a /pol/shitter.

But seriously, it's not impossible. When I go traveling, I'm not opposed to meeting new people, but I don't always want to hang out at a bar or club. I want to visit actual points of interest. I have nothing against a little beer or wine at dinner, but I don't want to spend too much time at parties.
>>
>>1263097
alright, thanks for the encouragement. You can say the /pol/ joke if you want, i wanna hear it
>>
File: europe.jpg (74KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
europe.jpg
74KB, 800x450px
>>1263098
You shouldn't have trouble finding friends, because there are lots of people in Europe who don't drink.
>>
OP, I'm travelling solo right now

You're gonna need to man up and start drinking and smoking, I'm afraid.

>go to bar
>sit at bar
>have drink
>if there are people at the bar with you, talk to them - this is what sitting at the bar is for
>if nobody at bar - or the conversation is not interesting - go outside for smoke
>talk to other smokers
>if they are not cool, move on to next bar

I literally did this 2 nights ago and ended up getting hammered with a bunch of expat businessmen. Was invited to go on to a club with them but was still jet-lagged and flagging from all the shots so called it a night.

In my hotel room right now. Gonna go out and look at a museum in a few minutes then head over to another bar and do the same shit, hopefully finding some girls to talk to this time.
>>
>>1263119
I smoke but I don't drink (if you're replying to me there). I don't really wanna get drunk in bars/clubs/whatever just have some people to hang out with during the day
>>
>>1263120
Hmm.

What I would suggest is you find a bar that doesn't have loud music, get a very weak beer and nurse the hell out of it. The strategy can then still work. This way, you can make friends and make plans with them for the next day at least.

Also, the anons talking about hostels are pretty much right. They're great places to make friends.
>>
>>1263122
thanks for the advice senpai, think i'll just try ordering club sodas if I go to a bar tho
>>
>>1263126
Fair enough, I guess.

Good luck with it. Gonna hit a museum now.
>>
>>1263126
drink. it will be wierd if u dont
>>
>>1263126
>>1263150
Just do water and lite scotch- order water along w/ it and take your time
>>
>>1263150
>>1263166
weird how?
>>
>>1263169
If you need to ask that, it's no wonder you don't have friends - this isn't meant to sound cruel, but it's the very basics of social interaction.
You're showing that you're going in there on the same terms as everyone else for the same reasons, that you respect the social conventions that surround drinking, and that you don't look down on other people or consider yourself to be special. When drinking, it's especially important, seeing as alcohol makes people a lot less reserved and drinking in front of someone sober is often not fun for anyone - and you going in with a club soda shows that you're not willing to interact with the others on the same terms as they're willing to interact with you on.
If you're willing to see people drunk but not willing to drink yourself, you'll come off as guarded, holier-than-thou, inexperienced, childishly awkward and/or many other unpleasant things.
Alcohol ties people together because it allows everyone to show each other more of themselves. If you go to a bar to talk to drunk people while being unwilling to drink yourself, you'll come off as condescending and manipulative at worst.
I hate to say it, but the people who simply don't drink even with other people drinking are the ones who have the hardest time making friends - because a lot of people will feel you don't actually want to bare yourself or have fun with them, and all that's left then is talking to some buzzkill who doesn't understand you.
>>
>>1262957
I only solo travel because the few friends i have can't afford to travel or I wouldn't want to travel with them, I'm probably mild austismo but I can hold a conversation with most people.

>how do you eat at restaurants or do things alone?
Most restuarants have solo diners constantly, I only avoid really busy restaurants so I'm not co-seated with randoms or take up a table to myself when there is a big line.
Some more expensive restuarants will offer solo diners newspapers to keep them occupied but i usually just sit on my phone looking up places to see after i leave.

>Restuarants where you are expected to share food
Jump on tinder or whatever and find someone to go with, or sit at the hotel bar, hostel common area or just a random bar with lots of expats and say hi to someone else who is solo at the bar.. The worst that can happen is someone is rude and you just go somewhere else.. remember you never see these people again, this is the best time to get out of your comfort zone and talk to someone (don't approach attractive girls at these bars unless you are paying for more than a meal).

I'm going back to HK and China solo again in a month, HK is probably my favourite place to travel solo.
>>
>>1263177
I guess I'll avoid going to bars in that case, not really something I was too interested in anyhow
>>
>>1262957
What is this nonsense that you cant eat tapas alone
>>
This is /trv/'s version of /tv/'s meme about cinemas refusing to sell single tickets.

We all know that a good chunk of the 4chan user base is made up of desperately insecure and unhappy young men, so we need to reassure them that the whole world is not Junior High.

No one is going to give you a wedgie, bodyslam you into the lockers, or call you "Nigel No Friends" if they see you eating in a restaurant alone.
>>
>>1263197
Sir, you forgot your popcorn!

That'll be $15.90.....plus tip.
>>
File: 456456.jpg (141KB, 714x1078px) Image search: [Google]
456456.jpg
141KB, 714x1078px
>>1262999
i am socially retarded
where in a hostel do i talk to these people? the one i went to before, had people sitting in the common area charging their phones, but other than that people would hang out in groups with other people

i can't really hold conversations for too long either

>>1263001
for my current trip i'm a leaf going to burgerland, so i'll know the language.
being in a foreign country would be hard without a friend or paying for a guide who knows english

>>1263004
thanks

>>1263040
thanks
is the case of beer needed? i don't want to buy a whole case and have to drink it buy myself when i don't make any friends

>>1263119
i went to a bar once on a tuesday night, it was empty except for 2 other groups, i'm not social enough to be able to break into other people's conversations

>>1263178
thanks
i'm not good looking enough for tinder. and whenever i go to bars, i rarely see people solo, they're always in a group
>>
File: lombardis-inside-resize.jpg (219KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
lombardis-inside-resize.jpg
219KB, 1024x768px
>>1263195
if each dish costs $15, i can realistically only get 2 dishes for myself (without spending a lot of money or eating too much), and so will only get to try two things

if i go with someone, we can order 4 different things and share. same cost and quantity, but more variety of food

>>1263197
i go to movie theatres alone, and do feel pretty weird since i'm the only one there alone

i'm mostly fine with eating at restaurants alone (though i do feel a little awkward if i'm seated next to a group). but i avoid the types of places i listed in the OP: tapas or places where you're expected to share

i went to NYC and one of the most popular and recommended pizza places is Lombardi's. i asked them if they sold individual slices and they did not. so i didn't try it out
>>
>>1263119
>start drinking and smoking

I'd rather eat alone. Smoking is disgusting, and I've nevef understood the practicing of drinking until you pass out/puke. Maintain a buzz sure, but fuck drinking more than that.
>>
The grand majority of my trips are planned alone. It's easier to pick up qts and make new friends that way anyways

Anyone I meet with i found via random encounter at a bar or even this place.

You can order food for one person by the way.
>>
File: 1411442419905.jpg (126KB, 830x830px) Image search: [Google]
1411442419905.jpg
126KB, 830x830px
I'm reading all of OP's replies and feel like I took a time machine into /r9k/ 5 years ago.

Shit man. I was a late bloomer and lost my virginity at 22, same time I left my parents house. I was so fed up with myself being an autist so I said fuck it, I moved to another country and it was the greatest decision I've ever made.

I used to be so similar and it hurts to read all of your comments
>I don't really drink
>I think smoking is gross
>I want to get this food but I'm by myself...ohwell
>oh I don't like clubs or parties
>watching a movie by myself? oh god no pls
>sex with some one who isn't my girlfriend or wife? oh no that's so degenerate

God damn.

I spent 2 years abroad. Finally got some confidence. Got back to America and life is just as good. Though I'm missing being a special snowflake abroad.

OP. Stop being the epitome of /r9k/ and, book a ticket someplace, go drink,smoke and be social. Stop giving a fuck. You'll be happy you did. Obviously moderation is key. Don't get trashed. Or do.
>>1263197
is right
>>
>>1263363
>I think smoking is gross

It is though. It smells terrible, fucks your lungs, and ruins clothing/furniture. I've never needed to smoke or drink in order to enjoy myself or go into a restuarant alone, or to make conversation with the people next to me.
>>
>>1263365
For non-smokers yes it smells like shit. I agree.
>I've never needed to smoke or drink in order to enjoy myself or go into a restuarant alone, or to make conversation with the people next to me.
But plenty of people can't do that sir. Especially when just beginning to just get social. Nowadays I can do the same but me 2 years ago? Fuck no.

My point was that the holier-than-thou attitude is setting him back significantly.

Of course if you innately have the confidence to do so, yes you can be social and converse with anyone anytime.

Also if you're concerned about your health you can smoke pipes/cigars. You don't inhale, only taste, still get the social environment. With significantly less risk than cigarettes. Also the smoke from pipes don't ruin clothing/furniture but if you're just trying to be social there's no need to be smoking in your house anyways. I wasn't trying to tell him to get addicted to get cigarettes.
>>
>>1262959
Even normal people dont do this
>>
>>1263363
>22
>late bloomer
Please.
Just a few years more and I'll be funding all my trips by summoning money out of thin air.
>>
>>1263356
This, but some people just have different needs I guess.
>>
>>1263365
My dad died of lung cancer last year. He smoked like a chimney when my mom met him, but she made him quit so I never knew him as a smoker.

Don't believe the potheads who say it's safer because muh chemicals. Smoke is smoke, your lungs did not evolve to inhale burnt materials period.

Today is a rough day.
>>
Stop caring what other people think, anon. You're on vacation for you, to have fun, to see a new place and experience something. I love travelling alone and I also love travelling with friends.

It does suck about the pictures though but we do have selfie sticks now if you really need them. Or just take normal selfies.

>>1262984 is also correct. There's something about being alone and being able to make split second decisions can lead to some VERY exciting adventures.
>>
>>1263365
The only reason I quit smoking was because I noticed my erections were getting softer.

That's literally all it took for me to quit. Not the cancer, not the smell, not the respiratory problems, and not the yellowing of teeth. I only quit because I wanted to have a proper boner again.
>>
>>1263119
>start smoking and drinking
Can confirm this works really well in Paris. Bonus points if you speak a little French, it can get real fun.
>>
>>1263386
This is true -- smoking leads to decreased circulation in your extremities. Smokers in their early 20s might not notice this, but it definitely happens the more you smoke.
>>
>>1263390
Drinking alcohol is haram
>>
>>1263376
22 IS a late bloomer in the west for losing your virginity . Are implying otherwise?
>>
>>1263235
>had people sitting in the common area charging their phones
Just talk to them. In every hostel I have been I have met people.
>>1263235
>is the case of beer needed? i don't want to buy a whole case and have to drink it buy myself when i don't make any friends
Dont be autistic. Just go and ask who wants to drink. Especially women dont initiate shit and sit around bored and playing with their phones.
>i went to a bar once on a tuesday night, it was empty except for 2 other groups, i'm not social enough to be able to break into other people's conversations
Went to a bar alone and the only people left were a drunk fuck and the barkeeper. Got a city tour from the barkeeper the next day.
Just talk to people. Not everyone wants to talk, most do.
>>1263363
This desu
Im an autistic piece of shit and recently discussed anime with seven cute girls. For two hours. Started with me asking for directions.
Just talking to people and seeing where the conversation goes is the best you can do.
>>
>>1263235
>i'm not good looking enough for tinder.
I've done Tinder in Berlin, Paris, and London as an American and had good luck with each. I just put like "American in Berlin until 5/20, show me a good time" and would match with people every night. I didn't sleep with them, just hung out and drank and danced.

>>1263235
>i went to a bar once on a tuesday night, it was empty except for 2 other groups
Well Tuesdays are gonna be dead anywhere. Just sit at the bar, not at a table, and shoot the shit with the bartender.

>where in a hostel do i talk to these people? the one i went to before, had people sitting in the common area
you just answered your question.

It really sounds like you need to just get over yourself. This isn't high school where you're trying to ask your secret crush to prom or whatever, you will literally never see any of these people again. Talk to people, force yourself to.
>>
>>1263099
Kek
>>
>>1263363
I'm "tfw don't drink", and wasn't OP. I'm not gonna drink but thanks for the advice.
>>
OP, I'm also an introvert who usually travels solo. All I can say is that you should stop being self-conscious when you travel. Most locals will know you're a tourist and wont give a fuck what you do as long as you dont do stupid stuff. The only country where I had trouble eating solo is in South Korea and even then some of the restaurants tried their best to accommodate me.
>>
>>1262971
as someone who has never done the hostel thing - what age people are there typically?

what age does it become unacceptable to stay at hostels? or another way of putting it - at what age would you no longer comfortably fit into the scene there
>>
>>1264040
>what age people are there typically?
it totally varies, but general skews younger, like 20s to early 30s. You always get weird older dudes or couples sometimes too. Usually a good mix. There's no real reason for anyone to care about your age unless you're a straight up creep.
>>
>>1264040
>>1264051
>30 something here: I did hostels in my 20s and do them now
(don't feel terribly old in them)

I still use 4chan too, and am an oldfag in both senses. Only this month started realizing most of the userbase is younger than I am. I use /fit/ and the whole meme about people feeling awkward in gyms is that other people are too busy exercising to notice your autistic ass, so chill fucking out. Same thing applies to hostels.

I mean, yeah, I've noticed the OLD (retiree) couples, but all the more power to those cheap bastards. Hotels are a waste of money.
>>
>>1264113
>Hotels are a waste of money.
private bathrooms are pretty nice though
>>
>>1264040
Usually 20-early 30, but you can find people of all ages. Last hostel I was in I ended up being the youngest person and I'm 25. Almost everyone was in their 40s and there was a grandpa easily pushing late 60s.
Just make sure you don't pick a party hostel.
>>
>>1262957
You can eat alone in tapas bars and izakayas man, have you been to any of these places? Tapas bars are fine if you are alone, Japan is basically designed to accomodate loners.

Nobody cares what you do when you are traveling, quit thinking someone is watching you 24/7.

Have you ever been to a Tapas bar or an Izakaya before? I'm wondering because I prefer traveling and eating alone and they were both pretty ideal for me. Tapas are actually a good place to chill out by yourself, have a few beers, and eat some small dishes. If they just served alcohol it may be a little awkward to be drinking by yourself, but the side dishes make it feel pretty comfortable.
>>
>>1264144
"old" guy here: yeah I'll get a hotel maybe weekly, to feel like a person, then be cheap again

I don't use hostels for the experience, or whatever. I use them to sleep, and because I'm cheap

oh -- why the fuck do "eating alone" threads crop up so much? I'm some random normal(ish) dude and I eat alone pretty frequently even when I'm not on the road. Who gives a shit? When did this become a problem??
>>
>>1264272
what's cheaper than a hostel? i can get them for 5-10 dollars
>>
>>1263239
It seems like you don't understand the concept of tapas, my friend.
>>
>>1264224
>>Have you ever been to a Tapas bar or an Izakaya before?

>>1264353
>It seems like you don't understand the concept of tapas, my friend.

haven't had either before, but i've read the portion sizes are meant for sharing usually, and everyone orders a couple of things and shares
>>
>>1264306
what? I think you misread me, I like hostels specifically for cheapness
>>
>>1264368
Tapas can be eaten like that, but the most common form is very small plates that come with a drink. One person can eat several of them.
>>
>>1264272
>When did this become a problem??
Social issues aside (which there are hardly any), I could actually see a few practical problems.

Solo diners could get less than stellar service at a standard sit-in restaurant that is moderately busy (ie. not fast food, not a diner, not a cafe, not a bar/pub, etc.). Mathematically speaking, solo diners are the worst thing that could happen to them. One table (that normally sits 2-4 people) is occupied by one person, who will probably order only one entree and maybe a drink (as opposed to the group who will order a few appetizers, one entree per head, a lot of drinks, and maybe dessert). Solo diners could receive rude/curt service that may stem from resentment, and may feel rushed out the door. Dining should be a relaxing experience, not a tense situation.

Another problem I could see is if a certain dish only comes in a shared size. Of course, you could always try to ask if they could make a single-person portion, but believe it or not, some restaurants are adamant about the dish being only able to be served in a group setting. I've actually had it happen to me once.

They're relatively minor problems when you think about it, but they certainly exist, at the very least.
>>
>>1264388
woops my b
>>
>>1264400
>Social issues aside
that's my point, double dubs: there is not a social issue to eating alone.
>>
>>1263120

if you're in Spain or in other places in southern europe and you don't like to drink, you can just order a "clara" (that's the spanish name, in other places it's called "radler"). It's basically a glass of light beer mixed with lemon juice/soda, it's sweet, refreshing and has like 2% alcohol, super easy to drink (really tastes like a lemon soda) and at the same time you won't look like the weirdo who goes to bars to drink a coke or a glass of water.
>>
>>1262962
>but probably more like ReviewBrah desu
The fact that you're self-aware actually decreases the cringe level hugely.
>>
>>1263189
Honestly sounds like a good idea. I don't want to pressure you to drink, that's your choice, but if you aren't going to then bars are probably not your best option.
>>
>>1264040

it really depends, but the average goes from people in their 20s-35yo. Sometimes there are older people, in this case they can be

1) /r9k/ tier creep
2) guys who just divorced or have been kicked out from house by their wives for some reason 3) just regular folks who are having fun and travel around. If you find these kind of people at a hostel, try to talk with them, they're usually very nice people and in many case they have extremely interesting stories to tell, like a french 40 years old guy I met in Paraguay that was travelling around South America only with some clothes and his hammock.
>>
>>1264272

I consider myself a very extrovert person, and sometimes even I felt weird when eating alone at a restaurant. I kept repeating to myself that I wasnt doing anything strange, but still it feel weird to be the only people alone when all around you there are couples having romantic dinners or groups of friends having fun. It was just for the first times, once you stop thinking about it it's fine and you stop caring and just enjoy your food, but I could see how less social people may feel intimidate by this
>>
>>1264614
Perfecto.
>>
File: 220.jpg (116KB, 890x890px) Image search: [Google]
220.jpg
116KB, 890x890px
>>1264619
oldish hostel type from earlier posting some more, category 3 -- maybe they don't even have shit to say, and aren't creepy but just ... again ... are afflicted with t3h cheap

>>1263120
>>1263122
>>1264614
>>1264624
You've got some soul searching to do if you can't order a single shot of your preferred spirit, and a glass of water. It's the perfect amount of buzz, and I love me some water.

t. getting hydrated
>>
>work up the courage to talk to two girls at the bar
>things seem to be going well, no visible signs they don't like me as far as I can tell
>talk for two hours
>touch one of their arms during conversation
>"I think I have to take a shower for the rest if the trip"
>leave 5 minutes later
>make passive aggressive comments calling me a nerd on the way out
>traveling alone is fun they said

Just when I thought maybe I didnt have aspergers.
>>
>>1266125
I mean they just sound like bitches, not everyone is such a cunt.
>>
>>1264368
>but i've read the portion sizes are meant for sharing usually, and everyone orders a couple of things and shares
no it's not like that, there are plenty of options for one person at both places
>>
>>1266125
You know, I can actually deal with the insults and comments, but it would really save a whole lot of grief if they just didn't converse to begin with.
>>
>>1266137
I blend in with the normies so people think I'm alright for about 2 minutes, then they figure I'm "just shy", then in about 30 minutes they think I'm an idiot. It's faacinating to watch a girls face change as she talks to me
>>
>>1262959
Fuck u
>>
>>1263381
Be more concerned about the chemicals in your food dude. Weed people of the proper aort are organic 100%. I agree smoking is stupid. Eating/juicing cannabis is superior for the majority of folks but not as convenient as smoking.
>>
>>1266125
>>1266125
at least it was only 2 hours, you know some people spend 4-5 years then finally touch the arm and realize about 5% of their lifetime has been a lie. Imagine if you had rearranged your trip or tagged along a shitty tour or cooking class with them, I've seen all this happen and more. You got off easy man, you think you know rejection? Son, you don't know shit!
>>
>>1262957
I suppose my experience is vaguely related.

>be me
>backpacking in Chengdu, Sichuan
>want to try the classic Sichuan dishes
>go to restaurant
>order gongbaoji, mapo doufu (kung pao Chicken, Mapo tofu)
>dishes arrive
>huge banquet sized bowls
>white girl and chinese girl come in together
>English teacher and friend I think
>I invite them over because I have way too much food to eat
>they wanted some fish dish but now have some extra food along with their fish
>chat with them a little
>I finish as much as I feel like eating
>pay for my order (still dirt cheap even though huge)
>leave the rest with them

If you're wanting some dish and it only comes in share-sized portions then just order it and share it with strangers. I've shared food like that with Chinese too but usually it's easier with foreigners since they're sort of in the same boat a lot of the time.
>>
>>1263441
You struck the chord here m8, people here have 30 and holding their v cards. Me for example I haven't lost it, and I'm 27
>>
>>1263373
not at the fucking restaurant idiot, in the country
>>
File: mmrärensocialkonstruktion.gif (491KB, 500x244px) Image search: [Google]
mmrärensocialkonstruktion.gif
491KB, 500x244px
>>1266917
virginity is just a social construct
>>
>>1266917
26 and still a virgin here, also my friend turns 31 tomorrow and he's never kissed a girl, but I think his standards are just absurd.

It's not too weird these days I think.
>>
>>1266917
>>1267230
How much have you travelled? Where did you go and what did you do?

I find it interesting that people who travel around would still hold on to their chastity belt. If you're confident enough to travel alone I feel like you have to actively NOT try to get laid. No trying to offend I'm genuinely curious.
>>
>>1262957
I honestly love traveling alone and just meeting people when I travel.

never had this problem, most won't care or you can usually get a seat at the bar. If you are worried about weight gain just balance your other meals to counter it or walk a bit more that day.

make friends, usually easy as a tourist assuming you know the local language to some extent.

Most don't care and usually will be happy to do a quick pic

Honestly I've had more bad experiences traveling with friends/friends who bring other friends than anything. So many times issues of "oh whoa that places doesn't look gluten free", "gf/significant other squables", or "that one guy who can't do X so becomes a debbie downer the whole fucking time". No problem traveling with friends who don't mind splitting up, doing group travels can be a pain because no one ever wants to agree on one thing.
>>
>>1267306
I have traveled alone before, and while I'm not a virgin (ex-gf was my only experience) I would be afraid to hook up with someone because I have a small dick that points straight up (also circumsised) and self-harm scars on my leg and chest. I'm also extremely hairy, especially on my ass. Oh, and I have a small smiley face tattoo on my ribs my friend gave me when we were shitfaced. Basically, I'm confident enough to travel alone and meet new people and be spontaneous etc but what's the point in casual sex if your body is revolting? I can flirt with girls easily (also I have a nice-ish face so that helps) but I don't want to lead them on and then disappoint them when the clothes come off. I don't think I could even stay hard if the girl wasn't enjoying herself.
>>
>all these people saying to just make friends while on holiday
Fucking how? When I ask people on the street for directions, they give me directions, I thank them and the conversation ends there. When I stay in hostels we all sit around at a table eating dinner together but I never talk to any of them alone and the next morning we all just go our separate ways. I'm flying off to Kazakhstan alone later today, how the fuck do I make friends there?
>>
>>1268489
Your scars and tattoos tell a story. Some chicks are into that. Travel chicks are even more into that.

Also, I wouldn't be too worried about your appearance when it comes to international hook-ups. Believe me, most travel chicks who hook up have probably hooked up with much worse guys than you.
>>
>>1268509
Do it the RealTraveler™ way.

Buy a bottle of liquor, and find the nearest group of:
>college students
>elderly people
>homeless people
>military veterans
>suited businessmen with loosened ties
>backpackers

Down a few shots together, and talk about random shit.
>>
Get an outdoor table at a cafe where a single person won't look out of place. Eat in pubs/bars. Alternatively, you can live off street food or buy the local equivalent of bread/cheese/fruit from a market and pick a nice spot for a picnic.
>>
>>1268489
>small circumcised dick
Stop watching so much porn. Your dick is fine. They decide to fuck you without ever seeing your dick.

>hairy
I'm hairy as fuck and girls always stroke my chest hair and various other body hair. However, if it fucking bothers you then shave that shit, what's stopping you?

>tattoos
most young girls love tattoos how the fuck is this an issue?

>self harm scars
Girls won't assume they're self-harm scars but if they do, they probably cut themselves or knew some one close that did, which is a fucking important conversation fuel you could connect with.
Or you can think outside the box and make up a story about the scars. Go with the flow.
>>
>>1268511
>>1268521
I don't like tattoos but I found a company that makes pretty good real looking fake ones. I have no idea what I would put on though what sort of tattoos do girls think are cool hot or whatever? Skulls?
>>
>>1268512
>not asking rice farmers if you can help them harvest

You have a lot to learn about Real Travler (tm) ways.
Thread posts: 102
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.