[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok /trv/ I am wondering what you all like watching as far as

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: YouTube_logo_2015.svg.png (30KB, 1200x504px) Image search: [Google]
YouTube_logo_2015.svg.png
30KB, 1200x504px
Ok /trv/ I am wondering what you all like watching as far as content on youtube relating to travel? I have added yet another to the 3 billion existing travel channels.

Me, the gf, and a good friend are going on a big 8 month trip South America and Asia next year and I thought YouTube [read: video] would be a good way to save it all for us to rewatch in the future (instead of another fb album of 400 pictures, we have also started a branded instagram that we are throwing old pictures from our past trips up in in the meantime)

So far, we are doing videos and I am getting used to what that means in terms of shooting and editing so I am doing videos until we leave.
Other trips we are doing until then. Gear Reviews. One about what the channel is. A tourist in your own town video, some about food, the gf is super into makeup so she is doing some videos for women and makeup stuff. etc etc

So long ass story short, even though the YouTube is really for us, I wanna produce some useful content that someone else might enjoy. So what do you guys look for in a youtube travel channel? What videos do you look for most? What do you like to see?
>>
I'm fucking tired of marketing research threads. We're not gonna do your research for you for free.

Keep doing your thing, if it's good, we'll watch it. Authenticity is what makes some people big on youtube, you cannot construct authenticity like this. Now pay me a beer.
>>
I had a similar idea to you OP really, have now done basically video diaries for my past 3-4 trips.

Some advice:

Taking videos is easy af, though sometimes getting a camera out and shooting some video can be weird, especially when you are alone. Also worth noting that some places wont allow videos to be taken and thus you occasionally miss some good content.

Editing sometimes takes 3-4 hours, often you get a backlog of clips because you are busy for a few nights in a row and cant do any editing, it can take months when you get back home to fix the backlog of vids.

Never expect your videos to look nice, they will always be shaky and very amateur at best, sound quality is often not the best because its hard to do proper sound filtering without good equipment and software.

Finally, never expect to get any views or it to draw any attention on youtube, there are hundreds of travel vids out there on what you are doing, chances are nobody will watch yours. If your a media student, you might be able to do a bit better than he rest of us and might be able to market you videos to get a bunch of views.

If your going to do this, do what I did, I made videos because it way easier to show my friends and family what I did and I also didn't like writing a diary. My video's are public, but i didn't expect many views. I didn't do it to get youtube views or inspire anyone else, that's often a unintended benefit that rarely happens (funnily enough, even though my videos were pretty shit, a few clips I shot were picked up by a local TV station for a news report).

To put this in perspective, over 3 years I've got only gotten 2100 views from 40 videos.
>>
People subscribe not just because they liked your video, but because they see a bunch of similar videos on your channel and expect you to make more. So covering various topics from gear review to your gf's makeup on one channel would be a mistake.
>>
I enjoy watching comprehensive travel videos with plenty of information, like what are the roads like, show us a map from city to city of where you’re going, “hidden gems,” good family places, good adult places, what’s the weather like, etc.. Also, make sure your shots are not ones that could be found on Google Images. In other words, let’s say you make a travel video about Paris and you’re going to show the Eiffel Tower. I’ve never been to the Eiffel Tower but I’ve seen a million pictures of it. Show me something new. Show me where I pay to enter, the toll booth, the elevator, the stairs, a detail of the architecture, is there anything underneath it the tower?, what is there to do in the tower?, and what is there around it? I’ve never seen any of that.

I made a YouTube travel video four years ago and I now have almost 300K views and around 700 subscribers. I don’t make any money off it, I just did it for fun. Protip: I had my video on YouTube for months with a boring title like “Tour through XX city, country” and only had around 1,000 views. As soon as I changed the title to something fun like “Let go to XX city, country!” or “What can I do in XX city, country?!” I gained several thousands of views in only a few weeks. Choose a title that will catch people’s eye. And btw, when I made my travel video, I spent my time behind my camera, trying to find the perfect angle, waiting around for the perfect shot and carrying and worrying about equipment. I’m more than sure I would have enjoyed my travel more if I hadn’t planned on making a travel video. It’s great to take pictures for your memories, but I no longer try and spend my travel time behind my camera so much. I want to enjoy my experiences not behind a camera and not taking pictures of everything that can be easily found on Instagram or Google.
>>
>>1261917
lol thanks.

>>1261928
Exactly what i am expecting, am doing it as a better way to show friends and family and easier/more fun to look back on.

Thanks for the advice about not making the travel about the videos. I will make the effort to focus on the traveling above making YouTube content. I also don't expect many views. Honestly my goal is 100 subs because then I can get rid of that awful URL and get my page name as the url.

>>1261936
Thanks, I am mainly doing gear reviews of my stuff for the time upcoming to the trip to better learn about what makes good videos and editing. Like learning the craft so I am not so shit on the trip. Then it will all be travel stuff. The makeup thing would be travel related so like "The only 10 things you need for a full makeup kit when traveling" but given how large the makeup community is on YouTube your right and it might distract from the goal of the channel.

>>1262072
I really like your idea of comprehensive videos like where to pay to enter places, how stuff works kinda showing all the behind the scenes stuff as well as the glamour shots of the locations that everyone else gets. I think stuff like that will be helpful for when we go to really different places like India and China.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.