[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Check out my upcoming road trip and tell me about the interesting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

Check out my upcoming road trip and tell me about the interesting highlights you know of along the way.

8,500 miles if you factor in the flight to Alaska.

Trip starts June 17th. IG: mattmy_ if you're interested in following it.
>>
You really should go to Yellowstone near #4
>>
>>1261144
I've done Old Faithful at Yellowstone. I'll have to dig deeper around there.
>>
>>1261130
Between 14 &16 you seem to be neglecting all the canyon areas. Grand Canyon, Monument Valley to name merely the most common two. If you are intent on staying further south then the Aircraft boneyard at Davis-Monthan AFB near Tucson is worth considering.

Between 16 and 17, The McDonald mountains and McDonald Observatory for a sky party are worthwhile. If you have time and the inclination dropping down into the Big Bend National Park is worthwhile the scenery is splendid especially along the Rio Grandev and it is the most overlooked National Park in the US.

Between 21 and 22 The Blue Ridge Parkway make a different alternative to the Interstates.
>>
>>1261731
Thanks for the information. Big Bend is beautiful
>>
File: enchanted_rock.jpg (67KB, 450x297px) Image search: [Google]
enchanted_rock.jpg
67KB, 450x297px
Stop by Enchanted Rock State Park near Austin/ San Antonio. PIctures don't do it justice and you get to see the best that the Texas hill country has to offer. This place is absolutely breathtaking. It also happens to be very close to the best bbq in the entire state and you can also stop in Fredericksburg (charming small texas town) for the day.

Best BBQ in Tejas: https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-salt-lick-bbq-driftwood
>>
>>1261130
Foreigners always want to do east-west routes in the US. Americans fly and go North-South coastal routes instead. Or just explore a quadrant of the map, a region like mid-Atlantic, New England, etc. Boring interstate driving isn't going to let you see a damn thing that defines the flavor of that region.
>>
File: guadalupe.jpg (162KB, 680x390px) Image search: [Google]
guadalupe.jpg
162KB, 680x390px
I take people from out of town tubing on the Guadalupe river as well.

I'd recommend doing the "horseshoe" route through the tubing outfitter Tube Haus: http://www.tubehaus.com/
>>
>>1261130
I'm about to drive pretty much the same route from 19 - 22. Where are you planning on visiting?
>>
>>1261130
16-20 are pointless.

You should reroute from Madison->Milwaukee->Chicago rather than going to Chicago through Rockford

You shouldn't be skipping the far Northeast, it's comfy with great food, i'd visit that over the Southeast any day.
>>
>>1263633
*great seafood, i meant
>>
>>1262645
You're wrong bro. Keep it up though.
>>
>>1263633
I've never been to Louisiana, Mississippi, or Alabama though, so I can't skip 16-20
>>
>>1263273
I'll be around19-22 in early/mid-July
>>
>>1262642
Thanks for sharing! Added to route
>>
>>1261130
No New England love? You're missing out dude. Hiking Acadia National Park, driving through Vermont and New Hampshire during the Autumn foliage change, the ridiculously good seafood, exploring Boston, taking a charter boat to do some striper fishing, and mountain biking through the White Mountains are just a few things you can do up here. Winter time is solid for skiing, snowboarding, and snowmobiling as well.
>>
>>1263706
Haha me too. But where are you planning on visiting? I'm curious to know if there are any gems I should see
>>
>>1263706
Rent a canoe or kayak and explore the mobile delta. 5 rivers center on hwy 90. #19
>>
I'll show you around Richmond
>>
Are you not going to NYC?
Definitely set aside plenty of time for New Orleans.
I hope 17 is Austin Texas.
I highly recommend Missoula Montana
Do some stops in Oregon, interesting place
North Dakota badlands are incredible
Stop is Chicago, check out Lincoln Park area

You should really find a way to fit Colorado in, even if you have to cut Washington state to make time
>>
>>1263912
Great idea!! Definitely added.

Some background on my trip: There are a lot of great places like NYC and New England that are not part of this trip. This trip is about picking up 6 new states and testing my travel endurance. I'm a teacher with summers off, so every year I do something different, and usually odd.
>>
>>1263922
I was just there. Still haven't been to your Capitol building though! In your opinion, how does it stack up to the greats like Harrisburg, Lincoln, and Madison?
>>
>>1263723
Maine and Acadia are going to be my last of the 50 states. I live in Delaware, so New England has always been pretty close, but I want New Hampshire and Maine to be #49 and 50.

Nothing but New England love
>>
>>1264006
have not seen the ones you listed, and grew up spoiled by the Providence Capitol so it does not knock my socks off

have lived in Texas, Florida and near DC. generally preferred them because reasons, and it's getting more expensive here but not really ... more shit to do, just more costly monetarily and in frustration

what all did you see, Anon? (OP??)
>>
>>1263926
Richmonder here

worked just outside Austin for all of 2007, was the bomb. sadly haven't been back in spite of continually meaning to do so. I was in super tight with my supervisor. he still lives there and we talk all the time.

Missoula is the shit, too, and I have a buddy there. I went with this bro a couple years ago and have been planning a trip with an aunt from Rhode Island. (wicket cheap flights from Logan)

>>1264009
aaaaaaaand I miss New England. I have some medical shit coming up
>inb4 not ur blog. trying to do it at a VA hospital somewhere in BFE Northeast USA woods instead of Richmond's dump
>>
>>1264012
OP here. Definitely recommend Lincoln. The observation deck is unreal. Here are two shots I got of it back in April.

Regarding capitols I still have a lot of work to do. Seeing Bismarck, Helena, Olympia, Portland, and Sacramento for the first time on this trip.

I'm gonna post some photos of the journey soon. I'm in Minneapolis tonight.

You've lived in some cool places brother. I almost lived in Florida once
>>
Observation deck from Lincoln. 14 floors.
>>
File: 2012-01-01_04-33-56_653.jpg (833KB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
2012-01-01_04-33-56_653.jpg
833KB, 3264x1840px
>>1264016
...key west, file name tells you everything you need to know
>>
>>1264006
Different architecture completely. I like VA's much more than the "typical' capitol buildings
>>
>>1264017
>this view
>unreal

You seem like a cool guy but honestly, is this the best thing to do Lincoln? Seems bad desu
>>
>>1264959
Not him: wikitravel seems to think so, and my knee jerk reaction at reading your post, from having been to Nebraska, was "it's fucking Nebraska."
>>
>>1264959
>>1264961
I'm OP, I liked the observation deck. That was all. The whole state of Nebraska was pretty weak. Just trying to be enthusiastic about seeing new things
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.