[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you guys think of people who legitimately never travel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

What do you guys think of people who legitimately never travel at all? Some people literally don't even leave their home town. There are some people in my dad's old town where he grew up who are like that. They have literally never left their rural little city group area, ever. Never left their own county, state, or country.

This is absurd to me. Do any of you know anyone like this?
>>
I've been to about 35 countries since 2013 and will go to at least another five before the year is over.

Whether other people travel or not doesn't matter to me in the slightest.

If somebody can be content and happy sitting at home and hanging out with the same group of people day after day, for years on end, good for them. I might not be able to relate to their interests and decisions, but I can't criticize them, either.

My dad hasn't left the United States since he went on his honeymoon with my mom over a quarter-century ago. He uses most of his vacation days to visit relatives in New England and go hunting in the same places "up north," year after year. I was surprised when he took a trip to Hawaii earlier in the year.

But my dad isn't ignorant. He hasn't traveled, but he has a great grasp on geography and politics. Just because he hasn't been many places outside the United States doesn't mean he's a drooling idiot who couldn't tell a Mexican from a Mongolian.

I think Millennials and Gen Xers are really pushing the "wanderlust" meme to an unrealistic level. A lot of people make it sound as if a person can't be fulfilled if they never leave their country, without recognizing that it takes a certain level of privilege as well as a particular mindset to step far away from where you've come from.

All things considered, I think it's good when people who can travel choose to do so, but I don't think it's bad if they don't, either. What's more important is whether they're living moral lives and are giving back to their community, no matter if it's adopted or constant.
>>
>>1260799
You are describing the overwhelming majority of the world.. Traveling is a luxury.
>>
>>1260799
I'm not surprised there are people who don't feel any wanderlust at all and are content staying in their own country and I don't really care — different strokes and all that, even if it sounds like a horrible existence to me. But what blows my mind is when you meet someone who hasn't left his bumfuck nowhere town in a decade. You'd think they at least visit their relatives once in a blue moon. There's weddings, baptisms, funerals, christmas and a metric fuckton of other family gatherings you're expected to show up at and have to travel for.
>>
>>1260807
They have different values, different ambitions. Nothing so incomprehensible about that, is there? Same deal with why you never see blacks or Asians out hiking -- their lives are more family oriented, work oriented, or something.
>>
>>1260803
This is a pretty good post. I think one thing for travel is that it can force you to consider how other people live and what they value, which is important in a democratic and/or globalised context. If you are always surrounded by the same environment it's easy to start assuming everyone out there thinks like you, and that applies whether you live in a conservative country town, liberal college campus or cosmopolitan city. You certainly can still obtain this perspective from reading widely however that takes more effort which the demands of everyday life can easily distract you from.

As for fulfillment, I'd say depth is just as important as breadth. While I do find it a bit weird when some people won't even go to another town 10 miles away, I figure that everyone's interests are limited in some respects. Perhaps someone has more complex preferences for travel, but they will inevitably be a pleb in some other hobby.
>>
>>1260815

I agree with you, in part.

I just don't believe that travel is a necessary part of the human experience, especially in terms of self-fulfillment.

I lived by myself in New Delhi for the better part of two years and have been to India numerous times. Although my family isn't particularly well-off, I never had to worry about helping out with utility payments or household expenses. Since I did a good job avoiding debt and found ways to make money, I came into a position conducive to travel.

As much as I've learned about Delhi and many of the other places I've been, I still find myself lacking in certain areas. There are people in my town who can fix every little problem with the motorcycle I'm constantly having to send in for repair. They aren't very interested in going to India or Iraq or Iceland, and I don't feel their lives are any worse-off for it. I've my set of experiences and skills, and they've theirs.

Travel undoubtedly does allow people to broaden their perspectives and appreciate different ways of life; I can't say anything against that.

What concerns me more is the trend that posits people must travel or else they're missing out a vital and irreplaceable part of the human experience.

Most people in most places will never get to go very far from home, often by circumstance and occasionally by choice, and that doesn't denigrate their position as potentially respectable members of any community.
>>
>>1260799
Whatever makes them happy is fine with me. I like traveling, but some people don't like everything I like.

>Some people like what I don't like, too.
>>
Also meta post here

Holy shit it's refreshing to have actual real responses in a thread that are well thought out and argued, instead of memes and insult. I need to get the fuck off my other boards.
>>
I was one of those people before I started taking trips to Vegas. I always felt like I was in a rut, had nothing to look forward to, borderline depressed.

I'm in an all-around better place in my life now, but the Vegas trips definitely help my state of mind. It gives me something to look forward to, to plan for, gives me more fiscal discipline. Great rut breakers.

I keep saying I want to branch out and travel elsewhere, but when it comes down to it I love Vegas and it fulfills all my needs for now. Maybe some day when I'm older I'll want to just go sit on a beach somewhere but for now I want action and fun.
>>
>>1260799
I wish I lived like that. I wish I lived in some village in Ireland or an Andalucian hill town and never left. My only foreign contavt would be with tourists who find my town quaint and I would be completely happy with my life
>>
I envy them if they are that comfortable with where they're at. To love where you live so much that you never want to leave. I want to find a "home" like that, instead of having the desire to go somewhere.
I have always wanted to travel, but have been too scared or end up right back in my hometown because I care about my family so much. Finally getting out there and I feel better for it, because at least for me, I don't want to be stuck in the same city for all of my life and working non-stop, wondering what-if instead of just doing it.
Anyway, if it makes them happy to stay at home, eating at the same places, talking to the same folk every day, good for them.
>>
File: 011T0Ff.png (942KB, 911x651px) Image search: [Google]
011T0Ff.png
942KB, 911x651px
>>1260842
I feel the same way, I wish I could've lived happily in the town I was born in. My home was destroyed by divorce while I was in high school and I had no friends in my town. I switched to a prep school and lost my relationships with my best friends, we are still friends but not like we used to be, we barely knew each other by the time I graduated.

I had nothing keeping my in my town and was extremely depressed due to the divorce. I felt truly alone. I traveled for the first time on my own that summer to Europe and I felt happy for the first time in a very long time; I didn't want to come back. When I did come back I was still happy but I was never the same, I only hated the town I lived in more and I felt like I didn't belong. I hated and lost faith in the people as well.

I had no reason to stay, while nothing was physically destroyed it felt that way. My family was lost, my friends were lost, and I had a higher education than almost anyone my age living where I was. I don't mean to sound pretentious or condescending but that is the truth. Traveling made me feel good because I was among friends and exactly where I wanted to be, I felt like I belonged wherever I was for the brief time I was there.

Every time I travel I consider immigrating or moving to the country or state I'm in. I want to belong somewhere, I want to live happily in a city or town for the rest of my life but I don't know if that will ever happen. I will probably always travel because it is like a hobby at this point but I'm still traveling to find a home and I hope that stops. Travel is great and all but having a home, a place where you are so content that you don't have to leave, is what I really want.
>>
>>1260799
My brother, a guy I love dearly and respect, isn't a traveler. He lived in our small hometown until he was in his late 30s, then moved for work to the nearest city (Boston). He spends most of his time there, is very absorbed in his work and hobbies, and has a small circle of close friends.

He's been places, however--we went on a pretty extensive tour of Western Europe with our parents as teenagers, and he visited Thailand and Pakistan when our dad was working there. And he's done a moderate amount of domestic travel and a few small international trips for work. But it's not a priority for him. He likes his comfort zone, and doesn't like to spend money.

Different strokes.
>>
This ended up straying off topic and descended in to a sort of blog - apologies.

I think I was sold a bullshit wanderlust story when I was 18-20. Ended up spending a few months around Europe. I went with two close friends, and for the most part, we had a good time and I guess I have some stories that I wouldn't be able to tell otherwise.
I left thinking I'd come back with a thirst for travel, but instead I came back with the feeling that travelling was an over hyped meme. It was good, but it probably wasn't worth the year or so of strict budgeting.

I haven't really gone anywhere else since, except for a wedding in Hawaii.

I don't know. I'm grew up and live in Sydney. If I want to go to the beach, there's 20+ within a 40min drive. Plenty good SEA food and hookers on my door step.

I want to enjoy travelling, but I guess i came back jaded. My friend is half way through a year long trip around South America. He left a serious long term relationship and his soon to be born nieces and nephews. I don't understand how a trip would be worth that much. All he can reply with is he wants "an experience". I don't get it.
>>
Are you from Phoenix, OP?
>>
>>1260799

Life's a buffet in my mind. Whoever eats one of everything, wins. Money is experience bucks from the arcade of life. Just make sure you get a good exchange rate and it's hard to go wrong.

Is this worldview universal? No. Should it be? Probably not. Am I going to answer another of my own questions? Eggplant.
>>
>>1260890
>All he can reply with is he wants "an experience". I don't get it.

I can relate. I feared that if I continued with the relationship that it would eventually end up in marriage and kids. I feared once that happened I wouldn't have a chance to go anywhere for 2 decades while raising kids. I feared I would wake up one day, be 50 years old, and have nothing to show for my own life besides debt, a mini van, and a fat unhappy wife.

Video related https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2PZ0m2M7Io
>>
>>1260803
How do you get so much time off work? Isn't your boss pissed?
>>
>>1260999

I worked in transportation logistics for two years - my boss didn't really care what I did, since he'd mostly hired me for company.

I'm 23 now. Due to traveling and some other circumstances, including the death of a close friend in 2014, I'm graduating university a bit late. I took some time to get my life sorted and move on.

Now that I'm going back to school, I can't work full-time. Maybe it reflects poorly on my character, but I don't really have any qualms about ditching a part-time job after a few months.

My circumstances are also a little different from most people because I earn the lion's share of my income working online and remotely. While I don't gross as much as I used to do, I still take in enough monthly to make my credit card and loan payments while I'm abroad and take care of myself in developing countries.

Regardless, traveling for traveling's sake is starting to lose its charm for me. After my upcoming trip, my priority is going to be completing both of my BSc degrees (I don't have much longer) and then getting into a grad program along with the Peace Corps.

I still want to go new places and have a somewhat novel lifestyle - I did 9 to 5 in logistics and hated myself - but I want to be more productive than just partying in Latin America or hitchhiking from hostel to hostel, too. In other words, I'm feeling an internal pressure to grow up.

Sorry for the blog post. More or less just using this as an opportunity to put my thoughts in order.
>>
>>1261005
Don't feel bad dude. I'm 27 and just now about to graduate in a few months. Only ever traveled around the states, Canada, and Mexico. Just got back from China for school and had a blast. I felt alive out there.

Wish I would have started early like you man.
>>
>>1260825
meme-free discussions do exist on here if you know where to look.
>>
>>1261011
Doesn't matter when you or if you do it I think is the whole point. Awesome that you're getting out there though, now or when you're 60
>>
>>1260799
Well there are people who can't travel because they need the money for something/someone else.
Then there are ppl who have no time and others who simply like it where they are. Can't blame someone who lives on the Bahamas or Hawaii and never leaves the island(s).
>>
>>1260799
I'm confused by it.

My dad is 62 and has only ever visited the neighboring states. Upper middle-class income so it's not like he can't afford to go places, he's just scared of water, flying, and 'unusual' situations.

I think this was probably a factor in my parents divorce, I can't really blame her in retrospect. When my dad has extra money to blow he gets new cars. I've never seen the appeal of that though, different strokes for different folks I guess.
>>
I know a lot of people like this. I've never traveled, myself, but am planning to spend a year abroad. Not a gap year thing, just saved a lot of money. Travelers seem to have a far different mindset than most people. Half of it is why I'm going.

Look at evolution and history at large. To explore beyond an established territory was a fatal risk, often. To do what was not normal was a fatal risk. I think there is something to that with all of us that travel or aspire to do.
>>
>>1260833
underrated bait
>>
>>1260799
I envy them
>>
>>1260799
>Do any of you know anyone like this?
Yes, /pol/.
>>
I envy them.

I want to be able to stay in one place forever and ever and be fully content. Not burn money on airplane fuel etc.

My paternal grandparents barely even left their hometown, and dvdn then it was to visit their grandkids in cities close by. Every couple of years.
Maybe that's why, but with my cousins we all ended up being full on travel addicts, and moving all over the world. Two of my cousins even travel with their small children now.

We kind of broke up with a long term bf over travel, too... Like he would say he liked to travel, but he never actually left his couch for more than opening the door for the pizza delivery guys. And when I wanted to go somewhere with my friends instead, he would be bitching (he was chill otherwise). Weird.
>>
>>1260799
>Never left their own county, state, or country.
Kinda odd, but not everyone can do it especially in ultra rural/small town america where cost of living and income can be <30,000 a year.
>>
Personally I don't understand it either, but if everyone wanted to travel internationally travel would be shit.
>>
>>1260833
have any vegas tips for us veganon?
>>
If someone doesn't travel at all or like only traveled once I usually keep my mouth shut about some of the places I've been.

>explain what NY/Vegas/Florida is like AGAIN?
>deal with the most bullshit misconceptions ever?
>you went to X, wow how hard is it to learn the local language?
>Wow I really want to go to <place I will never go>, what do you think it would be like?
>>
>>1260812
>Tfw black hiker
>>
I just don't understand it.

For me, travelling is one of the few things which makes the life worth living. Maybe I'm overreacting, but I get the most intense feeling of happiness when I'm travelling.

I guess those people just see the life in a complete different way than us. Each to their own...
>>
>>1262504
I feel the same. I take one trip and even before the plane lands I feel excited just exploring a new airport or preparing to leave from my nearest old hub. When I return I'm already eagerly planning my next trip.

Best way I can explain it is to say this is how I felt in high school about sex. It's what I live for, I'm not sure what morivates others. They say "Oh anon, you'll have to tell me about it when you get back" but by the time I shown them only a handfull of pics their eyes have glazed over and they're bored. I think this is how my ex must have felt when she talked about live music shows, festivals etc. I dreaded hearing about them, and only endured going to be polite and smooth things out.
>>
>>1260820
Yes and not to be a pleb but you can really learn 99% about any given place by books/internet, that 1% is amazing to know and wonderful but does not make you super learned and a admirable hero or scholar. You at least can be considered an expert on a region you experienced who can be looked up too by other folks who want to go there.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.