[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hungary

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

File: Hungary-75143.jpg (109KB, 936x526px) Image search: [Google]
Hungary-75143.jpg
109KB, 936x526px
Oi folks,

I'll be studying in budapest in summer. Any tips or recommendations?

Found myself some rooms for accommodation, mostly in VIII th district, around 300 euros per month, will I get raped by the gypsys?

Feel free to share places to see, things to do, stuff to drink and eat, etc.

And more importantly, take care y'all
>>
>>1260405
Hi! I'm not from Budapest but I've been there a couple of times since I work as a part time tour leader.
The neighborhood you mentioned is a little sketchy but you should be fine, the police there does its job well (trust me, don't even think of doing stupid shit around them!).
Food and drink prices range from ridiculously low to slightly expensive (only in the touristy as fuck parts).
If you're a smoker, you're in deep shit because smoking areas are hard to identify and cigarettes are expensive and being sold only in special shops that look like bodegas.. Getting shit faced anywhere (including the street) is completely fine.
I can't point you to a specific location to look at because the whole of Budapest is a sight to behold. It has a ton of small squares where most of the time something is going on. Go google ruin bars if you're into some hipster shit (the night life at its best is in the "Jewish district").
And one last tip, get hungarian forints instead of euros because people tend to get scammed while paying with euros.
>>
I was an erasmus student in Szeged for one year. I have been in budapest for many times. Cool city nice people. Instant and Szimpla Kert is nice. Some places have really nice street food. Try to learn subway and bus destinations. Taxi drives can get very tricky espically when you are hurrying to airport or train station.>>1260405
By the way what are you going to study. I am also planning something like that
>>
>>1260405
Do you even speak Hungarian you filthy mongrel?
>>
What do you like to do?

Either way, hit a spa with your school mates, Király matches the VIII vibe.

VIII people complain that the rest of the city is boring, they may or may not be right.
Don't flaunt your money there.
Idk I never stayed more than a few nights in a row in there, but I was always fine. Gypsies are cool, as long act just normal around them. The only people I know got robbed/threathened there are beta (gamma) fags who kept on acting scared shitless just walking while holding the latest iPhone.

My personal favorite in the VIII by far is the 'Józsefvárosi piac'. It used to be the biggest black market in the entire country (well, entire Central-Eastern Europe), a while back the black part was shut down... But! It's still kind of a mini-Shenzhen, like you can buy anything that China and Vietnam has to offer. It also has the best and cheapest Vietnamese food in town, just to eat a good pho, it's worth going there from afar. 'Unfortunately' they don't seem to approach you anymore with fake driver's license and diplomas anymore lol So it's now a bit too safe there, pickpocketing might still exist.
>>
It's been two years since I've been to budepest, amazing city but I feel like I'm forgetting some details. What I really loved was the bath houses, Szechenyi Bath was my favourite, there was such a wide variety of baths with different temperatures and such. There was another bath house which I can't remember the name of that had steam rooms with aromatherapy, like eucalyptus and lavender, it was heaven.
>>
>>1261926
veli bej?
>>
>>1260960
I'm not op but I'm curious about Budapest. What's the music/club scene there and what are drug laws like?
>>
>>1261956
Everyone suggests ruin pubs, but there is absolutely a good nightlife, but you've got to know people if you want to get into the real scene. Drugs get progressively weaker the more east you travel in Europe
>>
>>1262033
One time some Hungarian kids tried to sell me grass from the ground and they said that it was "Hungarian weed"
>>
>>1260405

It is summer. Are you not here already?
>>
>>1262033
How essential is Hungarian for getting to know people/scenes? I'd make an effort to learn the language while I'm there but there's only so much you can learn in a few months.
>>
>>1262368
Not much. Most people know some basic english at least so you'll be fine. Don't even bother with learning it if you're not planning on living there. I know 5-6 languages and I flat out gave up on Hungarian after a week because it's batshit crazy from a linguistic standpoint...
>>
>>1260405
Hospital in the Rock is great as an evening activity after touring buda castle all day, check out the ruins inside of the hilton there in the wine bar beforehand. Walk the district look at the historic buildings too.
klezmer music at Spinoza (rsvp)
of course each of the baths, make sure you have your own lock, good water shoes, and book any massage in advance
terror house is a must see, but allow time to read all the signs (might take all day)
metro is old as shit and pretty cool
if you're still there in Sept, go to the Buda wine festival to sample all the the deliciousness, from music to food, as well as the best of the wine. This is highly unaffordable to most locals and a real treat.>>1262368
>How essential is Hungarian for getting to know people/scenes?
It's essential, but as another said, it's nearly impossible, and they know it. It's probably equivalent to Icelandic, where no one bothers and the locals understand. Just be polite.
>>
house of terror - is one of best museums ive ever been to!
I went to a shitty basement pub / cafe near the opera house, had good fun there.
Dont let people talk you into going to specific club. People try to hustle you into shady (strip) clubs etc, with free drinks.
Metro works great.
>>
>>1260405
What is Budapest like in the winter?
>>
>>1260405
What's with all the baths?
Is bathing in public with local strangers really something you as a tourist would want to do?
>>
Margaret Island is nice.
>>
anyone in budapest now should go to the freedom bridge. there's a party.

>>1262454
meant 'very different from indo-european languages'. for speakers of eg. turkic or any east-asian languages it's not that difficult.

>>1262861
glühwein everywhere. bathhouses to warm yourself up. winters these past years are pretty grey, so not too much snow. the christmas markets are there either way.
>>
>>1262454
>it's batshit crazy from a linguistic standpoint...

it's really not. They don't have gendered nouns/adjectives, so one less thing to worry about. They have accusative, but it's always just a -t at the end, whereas german or slavic languages have accusative, genitiv, dativ, russian has even more.

The word compounding/affixing is pretty cool.
>"in my room"
> szoba (room) + -m (possessive - mine) + ben (location - in)
>>all together: szobamben

The only weird thing they have is the two-form verbs, where it's one verb with an object, and the same verb, different conjugation without an object. Btw, the only other european language that has this (maybe in the world, actually) is the basque language. Crazy fucks.
The pronunciation is pretty easy. I think it's only hard because it's not related to anything, so it's pretty hard to jump into it, whereas all latin, or nordic, or slavic languages are p. similar among themselves, so you can use that as scaffolding.
>>
>>1263427
*that should actually be szobamban, because you have to match open and closed vowels, my bad
>>
>>1260405
>will I get raped by the gypsys?
>VIIIth district

yes, that literally is the gypsy rape district
and just a heads up basically no one speaks english outside of I, V, VI and VII. though if you're a dorist that's probably where you'll spend most of your time. I and V are more for sightseeing, VII is more for fun / food / nightlife (and muh 6 millions as that used to be the ghetto during WWII).

>>1261956
nightlife is great even on weekdays but drugs are not really a big thing for locals, it's more about getting completely shitfaced. if you want uppers and shit go to sziget fest in the summer and ask the dutch dorists or just order it from the fuckin internet. also during the summer the hip places will mostly be filled by dorists as school is out and most locals frequenting the cool places are college kids from downtown unis

>>1262861
it's way too fucking cold

>>1262931
it's not meant to be entertainment for young adults, you might enjoy it as a novelty, but for the most part it's something old people frequent
>>
>>1260405
Hungarian here.

The entire country is complete shit. I laugh my ass off when I see it get shilled because of its immigration policy (just like Poland) but the reality is that Hungary is barely an ass hair above Romania.

Corruption, crime, petty theft, prostitution, scams, degeneracy, etc...

It's just complete shit. Trivial acts of societal decency simply do not exist in this part of the world.

>>1263427
>ben

it's ban/bon.
>>
>>1263665
that's just life for working class scum like you. And like most working class losers, you're projecting hard and blaming your shitty situation on anything but you.

I'm also Hungarian, I was born and raised in BP and I wouldn't live anywhere else. Yeah guess what if you live in some shitty slum, you'll see criminals and prostitutes, and your uneducated bydlo acquaintances will lack social decency. Fucking earn some money and move to a good part of the city and surround yourself with better people.
>>
>>1260405
Waking up in the middle of Detroit with a T-shirt that says 'death to niggers' and jumping in Budapest's nightlife as a tourist without knowing how to roll around ends pretty much the same way.
>>
>>1263671
m8, I live in the United States and make a great living. I visit Hungary regularly because of family and I am just giving you my perspective of the place. Where I am from, you do not have to worry about things like getting your GPS stolen out of your car or degenerates spray painting graffiti on your house. You don't have to worry about some bum entering your car trying to get a quarter out of you. Even in places outside of Budapest, the people in areas like Gardony are complete and utter shit. The only place that seemed remotely decent was Szeged and thats probably because I was near the university
>>
>>1261956
Hungary is (in)famous for its nightlife. It is great...if you're Hungarian. Tourists will find themselves being ripped off and possibly held hostage for no reason other than because they're not natives. A lot of tourists think it is fun to enter the first club they see, usually one with hot women standing outside. They are often robbed, killed or their valuables are stolen. Drugs and other dark business is an every day occurrence in Hungarian clubs and more people go to the toilet in a Hungarian nightclub to take drugs than to piss. Missing persons who are later found dead or never found again after being around nightclubs are common.
>>
>>1263676
>A lot of tourists think it is fun to enter the first club they see, usually one with hot women standing outside.

tbqh this is fucking retarded ape-level thinking and you do deserve to be beaten and have your organs sold if you do this.
>>
>>1263681
No, you can not blame the tourists. Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, Hungary is shilled as some modern European first world nation with rich culture/heritage/architecture but it isn't. You can walk into the first club you see in places like Germany, UK, Austria, and even with their muslim problem, you will not be taken advantage of or exploited like you would in Hungary. Would you go to a random nightclub in Romania? How about Ukraine or Serbia? Because that is what Hungary is like
>>
>>1263676
>>1263684
the problem with that line of argument is that nightclubs in Berlin, Amsterdam, etc. do not attract the same type of clientele as they do in Budapest. In Budapest, nightclubs are frequented by lowest common denominator proles. Middle-class people, college educated youth don't go to nightclubs for nightlife entertainment. So saying Hungary is shit because you get robbed in a Budapest nightclub but you don't in a Berlin nightclub is not really a valid argument because despite being similar establishments they attract a completely different set of people. There are plenty of spoopy areas in Berlin too where you really don't want to go alone as a tourist. It's just that nightclubs in particular are not one of "those places" in Berlin, but they are in BP. I guess tourists who don't know any locals don't understand this.
>>
I DON'T KNOW WHO TO BELIEVE IN THIS THREAD
>>
Oi folks, OP is here. Szia! Thank you all for your replies. I did not get raped, had my organs stolen, or get killed, for now..

Found a place to stay at for two weeks, still searching for another one for the next two months, still trying. Any tips for searching a flat?

Also, I am not that into nightclubs, loud music blasting, getting completely wasted while having your eardrums destroyed is kinda not my thing. But still, I love to be out, both day and night. Are there any places you could recommend? For both daytrips and nightruns :)

Aand, I am thinking about buying a bicycle. What should I avoid and at where should I look into for getting a bike for myself?

So far so good, but any advice on shopping for groceries or shopping in general? I actually might need to buy a ssd, couple of shoes, etc. At where should I take a look that for those kinds of things?

And the last, where to fuck am I supposed to go to avoid tourist traps??

You guys have anything to say, about aaanything, please dont hesitate to do so. I am still here, aaaall alone, like expected from a 4chan beta fag, wondering what to do next.

Közsönöm to y'all, take care
>>
Oh also, from where can I find any info about concerts, events and those kind of stuff? Tried fbook groups on it, It aint workin.
>>
>>1265442
>where should I look into for getting a bike for myself?
check this FB group:
facebook DOT com SLASH groups/351288841605405/

>any advice on shopping for groceries or shopping in general?
Spar, CBA, Roni ABC, Tesco, Lidl and Aldi are found everywhere in the city and you can buy most of the stuff you'll need from these chains. There are also quite a few shopping malls near to the center: WestEnd, Allee, Aréna Pláza and Corvin Mall. Vörösmarty tér and the connecting Deák Ferenc and Váci streets are dotted with fashion brands such as Zara, H&M, Pull & Bear, so on and so forth.
For high-end stuff, stroll along Andrássy avenue.

>where to fuck am I supposed to go to avoid tourist traps?
most of the tourist traps are situated on Váci street, so try and avoid the restaurants there

>>1265443
welovebudapest and funzine.hu have a nice collection of events and new restaurants/bars/street food joints - the latter (funzine) you can also find in a magazine format in English language at most pubs, bars, eateries and cultural venues
>>
>>1265442
>I am still here, aaaall alone, like expected from a 4chan beta fag

Join couchsurfing and look for local events, there's a huge expat community in Budapest (every nation is there, from latinos to american/anglos to all sorts of east-euros) and they're kinda active. Go to the weekly CS meetup, go to language exchanges, whatever else they're organizing.

Go to meetup.com and same thing, look for groups that do stuff you're interested in.

Join conversationexchange.com, tandem.net or whichever one is popular right now. Look for girls who want to practice english (even if it's not your mother tongue) or any other language you speak. It's a nice way to meet girls without it being an official date (even though most know it kind of is, it's a pre-date), yet it's very scripted so as a beta you shouldn't ever feel like you have nothing to talk about, etc. On the date, you should talk about:
>why you came to Budapest/what she does there
>why she wants to learn x/why you want to learn hungarian (even if you really don't, saying that you do makes them all wet)
>university life
>what to do in BP
>"Do you like to travel? Where have you been?"
And then just see if there's any chemistry. Even if the girl is fugly, do a bunch of language dates to gain confidence and maybe she'll introduce you to other people.

>Best and cheapest langos in town:
On Blaha Lujza ter and Somogyi Bela, around the corner from the big Spar, you'll see a gyros/pizza/langos place one next to the other. The pizza is meh, the gyros is alright, but the langos is glorious.

Another godly and cheap-ass hungarian food place:
kisharang.hu, on Oktober 6 u 17. I've taken tons of visiting friends and family there, they all love it, and it's super cheap. Don't miss it.
>>
>>1265464
>but the langos is glorious
wtf are you saying dude? that lángos is the most overpriced, thin-doughed piece of shit you can find in the whole city, except for the lángoses they serve in the Great Market Hall

OP, for the hands down best lángos in town, visit the underpass on Flórián tér (Óbuda neighbourhood, near Árpád bridge) and look for the sign that says "Krumplis Lángos" - they're cheap, delicious and filling as fuck
also, there's a cool free-entry open air museum next to it, called the Thermae Maiores, showcasing the 2,000 year old Roman ruins of a huge bathing complex
>>
File: langos.jpg (360KB, 1581x797px) Image search: [Google]
langos.jpg
360KB, 1581x797px
>>1265489
Are you talking about this one? Overpriced? It was 350/400fts last year. Thin-doughed? Maybe you had one bad experience, me and my friends would always go there after a night out, we all struggled to finish it.
>>
>>1265500
yes, I'm talking about that one. I'm not saying that 400 HUF is a lot of money, but the lángos they serve is definitely not worth it
>>
File: obuda-umbrella-staue.jpg (711KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
obuda-umbrella-staue.jpg
711KB, 900x675px
>>1265510
I don't live in BP anymore, last time I was there was about 1.5 years ago so I don't really remember, but I think the price might even have been 200 ft. Sure, it's not not gourmet food. I know there's other places that serve a real meal with proper ingredients, but this place I'm talking about is streetfood, the alternative to a kebab or a slice of pizza to go.

Your place might be better, not arguing that, but it's so out of the way, while mine is perfect for when you're coming back home drunk after a night out in the jewish district.

Btw OP, go out and explore Obuda a bit too, Florian Ter and all that, there's some really comfy areas in there. Pic related.

And a bike trip to Szentendre for the day is an awesome idea for the summer, you can rent bikes in tons of places.
>http://studyinbudapest.blogspot.de/2011/08/cycling-to-szentendre.html
If you're feeling more adventurous, the whole Budapest-Vienna route is amazing, and it's very flat most of the way, so it's perfect for beginners.
>>
>>1265442
Wanna meet up and drink? I can give you some tips and have very little to do until Monday.
>>
>>1265442
You should avoid RIO XXL and Instant.I really recommend Dürer Kert.It is located near Heroes Square.About safety: I dont have any bad experiences , I have been going to Budapest once a month since I was 16 to party.Have common sense , stay with your group of friends and you will be fine.You can easily get drugs if you know someone local but do not accept anything by a random dealer in a party.
>>
>>1265443
for food, try market halls.
újbudai piac, rákoczi téri, lehel téri piac... there used to be an awesome lángos place in the middle of the ground floor of lehel tér piac.
the chicken place upstairs is also legendary.

i second couchsurfing meetups, you don't have to be an active member to just hang out.
also go to any place (bar) around 11pm or midnight, get a beer, and talk to people. entirely normal.

ppl mostly share apartments to let on fb through their friends. ingatlan.com has tons of scams, but might give you an idea about the prices.
>>
>>1265443
port.hu for movies and theater... and some concerts, too.
>>
>>1265901
Agree with this. Visited Budapest for a week (I like to take my time in all cities), and random Hungarians would approach me for conversation in bars and things like this. They seemed pretty extroverted (I'm from Northern Europe where nobody approaches you to speak).
>>
File: DSC00840.jpg (2MB, 5152x3864px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00840.jpg
2MB, 5152x3864px
Does anyone have a link for some sort of facebook group for expats in Budapest?

I've found those kind of groups to be really useful in the past.
>>
>>1266186
i moved from hungary to northern europe, having a really hard time because of the lack of spontaneous talks with strangers. with all due respect (really), it seems to be herds... herds that are only interested in other herds.

>>1266199
'hungary expats' maybe?
idk i can only recommend the cs group personally.
also should you ever need help with figuring out bureaucratic paradoxes, just leave a throwaway e-mail address.
>>
>>1266799
>because of the lack of spontaneous talks with strangers
Protip: northern europe is literally autistic. No one from a nation that still has a soul has anything to do up there.

Similar goes for any Protestant nation in Central europe, they lost their humanity and anyone who still has it will have a really hard time with them.

Sadly Europe is losing this soul, humanity, vitality, whatever you want to call it, even in Eastern Europe nowadays, so it's all going to be completely fucked really soon (and already is for the younger generations).
>>
>>1266802
Thanks, Frans Timmermans. I'm ready for a more vibrant culture and true diversity alt + 0153!
>>
>>1267387
-ump
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.