[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Chose: 2 weeks in Russia, the Philippines, or Puerto Rico Or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1

File: world.gif (11KB, 380x200px) Image search: [Google]
world.gif
11KB, 380x200px
Chose:
2 weeks in Russia, the Philippines, or Puerto Rico
Or 1 week in the UK or Japan

The plane tickets are free, but I have to make the most of modest resources for housing and food. This is a once in a lifetime chance for me (poor American who has never traveled) to hitch a ride with my job to one of these countries. I'll never have enough money to try again, so I want to make the right choice.

I don't drink or party, so I'm really looking for either a fascinating "culture shock" experience, or maybe history museums/sites.

Any advice would be appreciated. Just your best guess based on personal experience, no need for specifics.
>>
If it matters, I have read dozens of threads on here about these counties and wasted a lot of time on travel sites and youtube, I just can't decide.
>>
>>1260379
In Rissia? this bastards are hate the america.
They think that america is guilty of all them problems.
in them dreams the america has burned.
But. At the same time, they consider Americans to be higher beings.
Especially girls.You can have a lot good time. if you understand.
>>
Philippines, the culture/poverty is quite jarring, and women will be climbing all over your dick. Even if you're fat/ugly. A lot of gorgeous scenery as well, but traffic is a bitch if you're staying in manila.
>>
>>1260389
I'm married and not looking for trouble, so I'd stay away from that.

Hopefully they wouldn't hate me as long as I mind my own business. I probably won't blend in though since I don't speak the language. That's the problem with being American, you never know which country really hates you or just your government and history. I'll keep my head down.
>>
>>1260394
I thought I'd try the Philippines (Luzon) because my grandpa fought there in WWII. I'd be content looking at historical sites, but that other thread on the Philippines problems with tourism is putting me off. I guess I'll have to deal with hassle no matter where I go.
>>
>>1260389
>In Rissia? this bastards are hate the america.
Where the fuck are you from? I've never gotten explicit hate from Russians while traveling? Assuming you're not a retard.
>>
>>1260395
> Hopefully they wouldn't hate me as long as I mind my own business.
Well... If you said that love russians and think that russia great country which kek ass to Hitler than they will love you.
You can go into /int. There many russians. They talk you about all.
>>
>>1260389
speak english nigger
>>
Probably Russia of the Philippines, unless you can get 2 weeks in Japan.

>>1260389
This guy is somewhat right, Russians can be very nationalistic, however, I don't think you'll have any issues there in terms of being discriminated because you're American. If it was me, I'd pick Russia.
>>
>>1260379
Russia or Japan.

I'm sure you can get a chance to visit Puerto Rico again in your life there are cheap tickets from the US. 2 weeks is too long to spend there if this is your only chance to go to the other places.

UK is cool but if you're looking for "culture shock" like you said you won't find it there. Besides it's another place if you really wanted to you could probably pull off going to later in life if you live on the East coast. Philippines seems really nice from what I've heard but if you don't drink or want to meet girls it's useless.

I guess it depends if you want 1 week or 2 weeks. I'd have trouble deciding between the two.
>>
>>1260514
There is more to it than girls and booze. Otherwise OP could also go to Vegas.

I'd choose the Philippines because Japan only one weeks sucks. Russia could also be interesting but being OPs first big trip he would lack the experience traveling to make it an not only city trip.

The Philippines can be quite easy for the westerner tourist. I'd stick to banaue batad and sagada area. And the last week chilling and doing stuff at El Nido
>>
>>1260581
You don't have to see all of Russia. I lived there for one year and didn't even go to the Eastern part.

OP, I'd definitely go for Philippines. I think you'd get to experience more there. It also depends how much free time you'll have from your work of course. I think in the Philippines you could experience some beautiful nature probably pretty similar to that in the rest of South East Asia, you could get a feel of a chaotic Asian city and I've heard that the people are very friendly, also a lot of them will know some English.

Given that this is a one-time opportunity for you, go for 2 weeks.
>>
>>1260511
>>1260514
>>1260530
>>1260581
>>1260585
Thank you. Great advice. I'll put Puerto Rico at the bottom of the list because I might be able to go sometime in the future.

I wonder if I could pull off a combination by staying 2 days in London, rush to see the big sites, then leave for Western Russia.

If not, maybe 2 weeks in the Philippines or 1 week in Japan are the most exotic and vacation-like. I appreciate the advice.
>>
>>1260379
>Or 1 week in the UK or Japan
I found the UK to be pretty boring as an American, but that's just me. Haven't been to Japan yet, can't comment there.

>2 weeks in Russia, the Philippines, or Puerto Rico

Out of these I'd probably choose the Philippines. The cities are horrible, but once you get into the countryside it's like night and day, really terrific snorkeling and scuba for cheap and actually pretty low-key alright people. The Philippines gets a lot of hate on /trv/, because most people take one look at Manila and gtfo but if you venture a little of the beaten trail you'll find it the perfect place to enjoy the ocean and throw back some beer on idyllic beaches. I really enjoyed my time there.

I've never been to Russia, but I've never heard positive things from people who've been and Puerto Rico is ridiculously expensive for what it is. I went there for a golf tournament in college once, and despite it essentially being a third world spanish speaking shit hole they expect people to pay mainland prices for shit, would never go back.
>>
2 weeks in russia=2 weeks in philippines>1 week in uk>>>1 week in japan>>>>>>>2 weeks in puerto rico
>>
>>1260379
Philippines is in martial law and has Isis problems right now its too risk
Not worth the hassle.

Just go to Vietnam or Thailand they have more interesting non westernized culture
>>
>>1260379
Russia seems interesting but expensive but gives that once in a lifetime vibe.

Philippines sounds dangerous and not for the novice traveler to get into

I'd go with Puerto Rico plus its closer to the states.

Japan seems like it has a lot more to offer culture sock wise and just in general in comparison to Britain
But with Britain you don't have to worry about the language.
>>
>>1260702
Those ISIS problems don't affect the whole country

>>1260707
>Russia seems interesting but expensive
How does Russia seem expensive to you? I don't really get it, especially as you suggest that he go to Puerto Rico

>Philippines sounds dangerous and not for the novice traveler to get into
Just because there is shit going on in one region, the whole country isn't necessarily dangerous
>>
>>1260718
this

None of the places you would ever want to go in the Philippines as a tourist are dangerous (petty theft, but not kidnap/behead you kind of dangerous), that kind of stuff happens on the super remote and backwards southern islands which function as basically their own countries anyways
>>
>>1260673
Puerto Rico is easy to get to and has hot chicks
>>
I just went to Russia for a month, and on October ill go back for another.

It was more normal than you imagine.... however if you dont know the language, you will have problems. Also visa isnt free, its $300ish, but i got 3 year visa, yours may be a bit less.

The second i landed in moscow airport, i hated it and wish i never came, i really debated taking plane home immediately..... you will probably get a bit lost in that airport, and people will not be helpful in english.

Everything is reasonably priced outside big cities, but you lose being close to action

Get a russian girlfriend, or Go to phillipines.....
>>
>>1260872
Are you white? How dangeorus is Russia for a latino?
>>
>>1260379
I'd probably do two weeks in Russia or a week in Japan, although with some reservations--if you're going to be footing the bill for your hotel yourself, Russia can be terrifyingly expensive (especially Moscow, but Petersburg's no bargain, either; provincial cities will be more affordable but still probably more than at home). I'm also American, but I have the advantage of being conversant in Russian, so although I've noticed some ambivalence about us Yanks (frankly, a sort of resentful, nationalist inferiority complex--be sure to remember who was first in space and who won WWII if you get asked this question by a drunk in a bar, as I was, twice), I've never encountered anything like real hostility. People aren't friendly but they're probably at least curious about you. But I love Moscow--tons of great history, some first-class arts, and the best food in Russia (which isn't saying a ton). Petersburg is even more accessible, physically prettier, but not as old, and feels a little less Russian to me.

If your resources are really modest, they'll go farthest in the Philippines, but the Philippines are maybe not the most accessible place for a first-time traveler, despite the high proficiency in English. It's noticeably poor and the cities rarely make good impressions (Manila in particular is kind of a dump, albeit with some interesting corners). Still, worth it if you can tack on some time and go to a beach--some of these are truly spectacular.

Despite limited English on the street, Japan is quite accessible for a place that will likely feel "exotic"--it's not hard to get around, and everything works (not as true in Russia or the PI).
>>
>>1260379
Culture shock Philippines>Russia>Japan
Museums Sites/history U.K>Japan>Russia
>>
>>1260379
Russia and Japan
>>
>>1260718
>Those ISIS problems don't affect the whole country
That's still risky and it can spill over
>>
>>1260379
In your position I would prefer Russia (preferentialy) or Philippines. You can know Puerto Rico throughout your life, and you'll lost all your week in Japan suffering from jet lag. UK comes at 3rd place.
>>
>>1260727
I doubt you'll have any problems as a latino. Russia is pretty diverse actually. Black people'll get many curious glances though (think something like white man in Japan).
>>
>>1260379
>2 weeks in a shithole or 1 week in somewhere civilized
>>
>>1260879
Yes im white. Really i only saw other white people there (Russians), some of the ethnic siberians, but still Russians none the less.

I saw only one other american.

But its good you mention you are Latino, i bet you will have no problems. Some of the taxis i was in even played spanish music as often as english. Alot of Russians seem very interesred in language/culture/travel

The only problem will be language, i think Russia gets a bad rap for racist skin heads, im sure we have more in america..... Bad people in Russia are more into gay beating it seems...

Also if you are Latino you probably will blend in a bit better in Phillipines, not to mention ewsy to get by with english there... .Russia is tough man, i was not prepared
>>
>>1260379
Phillipines
>>
>>1260396
What puts you off about it? The gist of that thread is that the Philippines is great and should have more tourists.
>>
>>1260379
Just go to Bali or Thailand if you want culture shock
>>
>>1260379
Depends on what time of the year you go OP.

Japan is pretty good all year round but I would go 10 days minimum, and honestly it would be a ton cheaper than any of the other places you listed.
>>
>>1260379
Go to puerto rico, rainforests beaches historical cities very different culture. I'm assuming your from the US, be aware that their spanish is approaching the category of pidgin dialect but most people will try to speak english with you. UK is better if you drink, japan is great but then again expensive unlike Puerto Rico. The Philippines are challenging but worth it. My vote is puerto rico if you haven't been abroad yet. Also you will have much more money to do things there than you would elsewhere.
>>
>>1262263
>japan is great but then again expensive
>booked 30 day trip
>average 25 bucks a night for a room
>flight was like 700 bucks round trip
>food is dogshit cheap most everywhere

Unless you are staying in an american type hotel Airbnb/hostels/single room suites should be enough.
>>
>>1260379
Depends on Accomodations

2 weeks in either of those places would be nice with nice accomodations

If not 1 week in UK would be neat
>>
>>1260396
Because despite all the "Pinoy pride" talk, the people here actually have a very flimsy sense of pride, unable to take any sort of criticisms. It happens when the foundation of your national pride is a globally-known boxer and some successful singers.

The moment you do criticize (hahaha fuck your valid, well-reasoned criticisms), you'll be labeled a "hater", accused to have "crab mentality" or in this case, get the good ol' butthurt treatment: persona non-grata. It's sad, really!
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.