[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would this trip play out for a white guy who knows next to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: trip.png (331KB, 773x622px) Image search: [Google]
trip.png
331KB, 773x622px
How would this trip play out for a white guy who knows next to nothing about the area and speaks none of the languages?
>>
>skipping angkor wat
ya dun goofed
>>
What program did you use to map all of this? I have a trip coming up and a map like this would make it much easier for me to plan
>>
>>1259589
It was just a general idea, nothing concrete.

>>1259592
Google maps.
>>
File: Savannakhet-Attractions.jpg (80KB, 800x336px) Image search: [Google]
Savannakhet-Attractions.jpg
80KB, 800x336px
Bump from page 7. Genuinely interested in this.
>>
>>1259587
Which means of transport will you use?
>>
>>1260324
Plane then car/bus, I think.
>>
>>1259587
When do plan on going?
>>
>>1260334
Possibly next year.
>>
I've travelled pretty much the same route, except for Myanmar, two years ago.
You don't have to know any of the languages, seriously, this is like one of the most travelled backpacking "trails" in southeast Asia, buses and minivans take you where you need to go. Only if you cross from the extreme North of Thailand to Laos, into the small town of Huay Xai(or something similar) the only way to Luang Prapang is by boat down the great Mekong. And that's like full of tourists. You could take bus but it takes for ages and is not as comfortable.

You should:
learn the hellos and thank yous in those languages.
Bring passport photos and US dollars for border crossings.
Other than that, it's super easy.
>>
>>1260371
That's good to hear.
>>
File: RoughDraft.png (416KB, 1366x657px) Image search: [Google]
RoughDraft.png
416KB, 1366x657px
>>1259587
Looks fairly similar to my plans
>>
>>1259587
>How would this trip play out for a white guy who knows next to nothing about the area and speaks none of the languages?

It's probably the easiest region on the planet to do the whole 'real traveler backpacker' stick, you will never need to speak any of their languages (but learning a few polite phrases will make people like you more). Myanmar will be slightly more difficult than the others, just because it's less developed and touristy so english speakers are very rare outside the small tourism industry, but even there you will be fine (Burmese people are very friendly).

And as anons have said, Angor Wat is a must, it's far and away the best thing in Cambodia, also check out the genocide museum/killing fields while you are in Phenom Phen.

I found Laos to be very underwhelming, wasn't worth it to me, it seemed to mostly just be a cheap place for backpacker trash to inter-tube down the rivers, be obnoxious and drink cheap beer. Nothing really unique about the place, would recommend you skip Laos entirely. I've never been to Vietnam, so I can't comment there.

I'd spend a lot more time exploring Thailand, both the rural north (Chiang Mai/Pai/Hill tribe areas/etc) and the southern beaches/gulf islands (Koh Tao/etc). I understand the appeal of having a trail you want to follow, but don't be afraid to make some detours/improvise while you are over there.
>>
>>1260641
Good information, thanks.

I really wasn't going to stick to that trail exactly and it was just a general idea sort of thing.
>>
>>1260734
Also I don't know if you are interested in scuba diving, but you can get certified by legit operations (like PADI) run and taught by westerners for less than half the cost of doing it in the states and dive some top notch sites while you are still learning.

Cheapest place will be on Koh Tao, it's a small island basically dedicated to scuba, lots of fun dive sites and quite idyllic. Andaman Sea (other side of the peninsula) is world class, but it's more expensive and the sites are more challenging (open sea pinnacles/strong currents/etc)
>>
>>1260770
Not big into scuba, but that's pretty nice to know.
>>
>>1259587
Just finished my own trip to Thailand and Burma. There is little to see in Rangoon other than absolutely filthy streets and decrepit architecture. After I got food poisoning in Mawlamyine I'll admit I cut my trip short there, make sure to see Bagan and Inle Lake though - those are the two major tourist attractions in that country.

Also, Bangkok can be fun I guess but Koh Tao for diving was by far the greatest part of that leg of my trip.
>>
File: Capture.png (490KB, 979x794px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
490KB, 979x794px
This is me next Feb/Mar.
>>
>>1260996
Looks good, personally, I want to see Vietnam, Cambodia, and Burma the most, but going there and not seeing Thailand and Laos (more so Thailand) seems like a waste.
>>
>>1259587
How long would this trip take?

I've seen people do Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh in as much as 10 weeks
>>
>>1261419
I was thinking roughly 4-6 weeks.
>>
Don't skip the thai islands in the south, a majority of SEA have basic English, or know enough English to get you what you want. Don't throw cash around, always barter down and get a rough idea of what things should cost before you try to buy.
>>
>>1261426
That's going to be a huge rush. It's doable but you'll spend most of your days travelling past things rather than finding stuff to do. Just go there with a rough idea of what you want to see and do it, don't overplan stuff.
>>
>>1261674
My general idea was to travel about and spend a few days in each city/town as I pleased. The time period would be due to cash/work limitations.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.