[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm going to be studying abroad in Florence for a month

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: Florence edit-xlarge.jpg (142KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
Florence edit-xlarge.jpg
142KB, 1280x800px
I'm going to be studying abroad in Florence for a month and living in the hostiles at the university there, I leave in a little more than 2 weeks.

Never left the country before and don't speak a lick of Italian, and I'll be travelling alone. I'm not really all that worried about it because I'm competent when it comes to thinking on the fly but some general info about Florence in general would be nice, i.e. cheap food, clubs, is the language barrier that bad, etc.
>>
File: masaccio-cappella-brancacci.jpg (702KB, 1224x814px) Image search: [Google]
masaccio-cappella-brancacci.jpg
702KB, 1224x814px
By which means of transport are you going to move?
>>
File: image.jpg (118KB, 677x503px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
118KB, 677x503px
>he goes to the city of Dante and doesn't know a lick of Italian
>>
>>1256846
Flying into Rome then taking the train that's in the same airport to Florence, the university is a 10 minute walk from the station
>>
File: image.jpg (211KB, 900x563px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
211KB, 900x563px
>>1256852
I mean when you're in Florence. Buses? They're pretty annoying, especially in the summer.
>>
>>1256770
Are you by any chance going to the Kent State sister university in Florence?
>>
>>1256770
All of Italy is full of thieves but Florence is really nice, the area you actually want to explore is all walk-able, it is not a big city. I didn't speak Italian either and I was fine, just learn some basic phrases just in case, a lot of people spoke English.
>>
>>1256770
>don't speak a lick of Italian
Learn basic greetings to be polite, but you're in a major tourist center so you can get along in English.
>>
>>1256770
TuscAnon here

1) Use bike. It's the best option, better than bus especially in summer/early autumn
2) Avoid tourist trap as the restaurants in the downtown
3)Make local friends
4) You are in the city wher cultural Renaissance of the entire West started, you're surrounded by history, so enjoy this ... even in the food. Try local street food as Lampredotto, etc.
5) Learn a bit of italian, and keep in mind that standard italian as a language is created on florentine medieval language. If you learn florentine, you have learned the ''correctest'' italian you can even learn, not like chav romans or half germans venetians or lombards

6) stay away from american tourists
>>
>>1256770
don't worry, Florence is always full of americans so english won't be problem, especially in the city center. Also get ready to sweat a lot if you are not used to humid climate
>>
>>1257880
The hostiles I'm staying in have no AC

I'm ready for death
>>
italy is great
most people will speak english, so dont worry so much about the language barrier. if you're ever lost the best thing to do is go into a restaurant or store, ask them to call you a cab, and tell the driver where you're staying. make sure to always have money on you, but keep it close because people will see a tourist as an easy target to steal from
>>
>>1256770
Florence is stunning.

Try to learn basic phrases. Get on Duolingo now.

Also remember that Italian and English share a lot of root words from Latin. A few words even work if you just add a vowel on the end of them.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.