[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey folks, I'll be visiting America in July and the only

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: images (21).jpg (24KB, 600x200px) Image search: [Google]
images (21).jpg
24KB, 600x200px
Hey folks, I'll be visiting America in July and the only major cities I'm yet to visit are Boston and Chicago.

So, would you rather spend a week in Chicago or in Boston?
>>
>>1256399
Spend a week in Boston so you can visit other parts of New England, as well. You don't need a week for either city.
>>
>>1256399
Neither, but if you have to choose, go to Chicago. People are friendly there. Boston is full of assholes.
>>
>>1256399
For the fourth? do NEW ENGLAND. Stay off the cape though. were full.
>>
Aside from the fact that his has shootings every day, Chicago is just a big ass city like L.A but nothing really unique about it that New York City, Miami or Boston offer.
I'd rather spend a week in Boston because of all its history. I would take trips around New England and Cape Cod. What is there to do around Chicago? Gary, Indiana? No thank you. Milwaukee? Nah.
To be fair, Chicago is fine if you just stray away from the ghettos but I don't really know squat about anything that goes on there besides gang violence.
>>
>>1256399
I would definitely choose Boston and also go to Portland, Maine...perhaps somewhere in Vermont or New Hampshire as well, although the Bekshires in Massachusetts are very nice and often overlooked.
>>
File: pondering.gif (613KB, 498x498px) Image search: [Google]
pondering.gif
613KB, 498x498px
>>1256399
>Would I rather go to the home of the American Revolution, or the murder capital of America, home of the Chicago Typewriter.
Gee I wonder.
>>
>>1256399
Isn't Boston unbearably hot and humid in summer?
>>
>>1256517
It can be, New England has had some weird seasons the past few years. One summer it was like 60 on the 4th and 70 on Christmas.
All depends on the weather pattern.
>>
>>1256401
>>1256499
This. Boston has plenty going on and you have easy access to the rest of the region too
>>
>>1256491
I would avoid cape cod on the 4th. Traffic is a nightmare and you will get traffic backups in both directions (there are only two, two lane bridges that cross the canal.) There was a 6 mile backup Memorial day weekend, so about 2 hours in traffic. Plus most of them are asshole MA/NY/NJ drivers, or shitty drivers from NH/VT/ME.

And everything from getting a table at a resturaunt to low key spot on the beach with be a crowded mess. Hotels will be super fucking expensive too.

There are other beaches on the north/south shore that are similarly nice, with way more locals than tourists. If you want to do the cape, do it in september. Far less crowded, and still perfect beach weather. The only way to do the cape on the 4th is to take a train or a flight from Boston/JFK, and stay somewhere within walking distance of beaches/bars.

T.. Capefag.
>>
File: whites_sunsetsm.jpg (445KB, 1200x695px) Image search: [Google]
whites_sunsetsm.jpg
445KB, 1200x695px
Native bostonfag, going to be a total homer and say boston. I'll second what a lot of others are saying-- going to the Boston area gives you easy access to the rest of new england, whereas outside of Chicago gets real lame real fast in just about any direction. Chicago is a considerably larger city, but both are among the most "urban" by American standards, and you don't really need a whole week to really cover either city. Plus Boston is less stabby.

As for things to do outside of the city itself, it really depends on your interests. The Berkshires, Green Mountains, and White Mountains are all nice in their own way. I will say that the Berkshires tend to be more of a "cultural" destination, while the Whites are considerably more rugged and focused around outdoor recreation.

I'd also say to avoid the Cape that time of year-- its a shitshow. You could try Cape Ann, which is just north of Boston and has some very quintessential New England towns and beaches that are fantastic in summer (Marblehead, Rockport, Manchester-by-the-Sea, Ipswich, etc.). It can also be touristy at times but not nearly the same level as the cape, as it's mostly locals. There are some towns on the south shore that are similarly nice.

As an aside, most New England cities outside Boston are pretty dumpy. The only exceptions to this, in my opinion, are Burlington VT, Portsmouth NH, Portland ME, and Providence RI. Of that bunch Portland is pretty inarguably the best to visit-- the old port is beautiful, and it has a fantastic food scene. Providence can be shitty depending on who you ask, but it has enough neat neighborhoods and quirky shit to personally endear me to it.

Pic is the white mtns from last weekend.
>>
>>1256399
Chicago is a much better city but staying a whole week might be too long because there is nothing else really around the city.

Boston is honestly pretty boring after a day or two but at least you have the cape close by where the beaches are really nice
>>
>>1256399
Boston

t. Chicagoan
>>
>>1256399
Chicago.

t. Bostonian
>>
>>1256399
New York

t. New Yorker
>>
Like others have said, Boston offers way more options once you're outside of the city than Chicago does, however that totally depends on what your mode of transportation will be. A lot of these suggestions on things to do around New England are great ideas but be aware that many of them are 1-2 hours outside of the city and you'll need a car to get to some of them. Public transportation will only get you to very limited destinations beyond Boston and the surrounding area.

My advice as someone who lives just outside of Boston: If your plan is to basically stay in the limits of whatever city you choose for the entire week, go to Chicago.
>>
>>1256399
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_cities_by_crime_rate_(100,000%E2%80%93250,000)
>>
>>1256399
Plymouth would be good for a day trip especially on the 4th. They have pretty nice fireworks on the waterfront, and WAY less crowded than the cape. Avoid the rock, its pretty lame (but free) Its literally just a rock in a pit.
There are some cool nearby bars but really only good for a day trip, but at least you can say you spent the 4th in "american's hometown"

If you want to stay in boston, you could check out the Boston smphany orchistra playing along to the fireworks.
Actually, that would be way more fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlbCakDfXfE
>>
>>1256399
Boston. I'm scared of Chicago. Murder capital
>>
>>1258643
>Murder capital
of U.S. yes but still an amateur if it comes to world wide players
>>
Chicago is an immensely better destination. The city itself shits all over Boston (this is like comparing Paris to Le Havre...seriously), and in the summer its one of the greatest coastal cities in the world. By far the best beaches in North America. Its gotten a lot more expensive in the past 10 or so years but its still very cheap compared to other destination cities in Canada/US. It is world class in every respect, the architecture is without peer on the entire continent.
>>
summer in chicago is unparalleled.

like others said, visiting boston gives you more access to other areas since there isn't shit outside of chicago.

check out a baseball game at wrigley, hit the lake, take a boat tour, hit up museums, get trashed, & fuck bitches.

also, all the killings & shootings are in areas you would never go to.. there's no reason to even visit jose neighborhoods; they are also far as fuck.
>>
>>1258683
>Coastal cities
Lakes dont count.
>architecture
Ill give you that. but its a planned city that lacked the chaos of former footpaths turned into major roads. My math might not be precise, but its in the ballpark to say that Boston has existed almost as long BEFORE the country was founded than chicago has existed.

It seems like a nice city, but the masshole in me disagrees. Congrats on the Cubbies though, Red Sox fans have always sympathized with the cubs.
>reverse the curse
>>
>>1258720
>Great Lakes dont count

you'd be surprised by the lakes...they are basically a freshwater ocean. more shipwrecks per sq mile than the Bermuda Triangle.
>>
>>1256501
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90sGXkYeUk0
Denied
>>
>>1256399
Chicago because I live in the same state as it.
>>
>>1258683
best beaches? Have you been to the east coast?
>>
>>1258724
>>
File: denver-colorado.jpg (3MB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
denver-colorado.jpg
3MB, 1800x1200px
Denver or Salt Lake
>>
Chicago is a legitimate world class city. Boston is Boston.

Anyone who brings up crime and Chicago is a retard. You will never see it unless you go seek it on purpose.
>>
>>1260291
Crime is not a problem for tourist. As someone here for grad school I'll be getting my education and leaving since there are so many people like you that think the segregation of the city is great and 500+ murders a year isn't actually a problem.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.