[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where do American people go to vacation? French people stay

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png (31KB, 1280x674px) Image search: [Google]
Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
31KB, 1280x674px
Where do American people go to vacation?

French people stay a lot in France because we don't speak very well foreign languages. Spain is the main touristic destination of French people outside of France, in summer you can hear French everywhere in Catalonia. We also go a lot to Italy, Greece, Portugal, UK, mostly London, we also used to go to Morocco and Tunisia before the Arab spring, many French people have been at least once in the USA too.
Our main tourists come from the British islands and Benelux. In the French Southwest you can see campings with almost exclusively Dutch people.
>>
>>1256316
I forgot Amsterdam which is a main touristic destination of French people too.
>>
>>1256316

From my region (northeast): Florida, Mexican resorts and Caribbean islands.
>>
Americans don't have a lot of vacation time like Europeans do so we go local.
Here in Maryland, people go to Ocean City, Rehoboth Beach in Delaware, or the Outer Banks in North Carolina where they have summer houses. For the rest of the country, it's usually the nearest beach, the nearest lake, renting cabins in the mountains, Florida because of DisneyWorld and Universal and Miami---and then we have a bunch of national parks. The nearest one to me is Shenandoah, Smoky Mts. and Acadia in Maine.
Abroad, we usually go on cruise ships to the Bahamas and Cancun, Mexico. Not really Cuba, but that's becoming popular now that Obama opened it up again. Also Baja California if you're on the West Coast. For Canada we usually go to Québec City because it's "different" or British Columbia and Alberta because of the natural beauty. We also like to take cruises to Alaska too.

Everywhere else, it's pretty generic. Any touristy major city there are going to be Americans, but we don't backpack as much as Europeans. Mostly just stick to muh hotels and muh resorts and find the nearest McDonald's. It sounds like a meme, but seriously we do go to McDonald's in other countries. Some as a joke, but most retards actually go there unironically because they complain a lot about local food. It's sad.
>>
>>1256316
I encountered a lot of you in Dublin too
>>
>>1256316
American here, I just finished University and am traveling the EU for a couple months.

Currently am in Portugal, and then am heading to Spain, France, Switzerland, Germany, Czech Republic, Belgium, Netherlands

Other than the EU, people go to Mexico, Canada, or different Carribbean countries.
>>
>>1256316
I think the most popular destination for Americans outside of the US is Cancun, Mexico. But the truth is while many Americans travel internationally plenty of us do not. The US is a huge country with about a dozen distinct regions. Gas is relatively cheap here, so driving somewhere for your vacation is often cheaper than ait travel. This makes Americans more likely to spend their vacations on our own beaches, in our own mountains, at our own amusement parks, in our cities and other attractions.

This has been the case for a long time, as we had highways and railways long before we had anything that resembled cheap airfare. Every major population center has areas near it where people go for leisure. For example people in NYC often go to the Jersey Shore, the Hamptons or the Catskills for vacation, as generations before them did.
>>
>>1256353
>>1256367
>>1256392
like others have said, Americans typically stick to Canada, Mexico, Caribbean Countries, and western Europe when traveling internationally.

It's interesting, for a country of 310+ million people, where a large percentage would be able to afford a trip every year or so you'd expect most international tourist spots to be flooded with Americans.

From personal experience when traveling through SEA, countries like the Netherlands and Sweden (with a population of 17 million and 10 million) seemed far over represented compared to the USA.
>>
>>1256316
America is fucking huge so there's a lot to do without leaving the country, so that's why it's rare to go outside the US, like I'm the only person in my family who has been to europe
>>
>>1256316
Statistically, according to tourism trade associations, the most visited country for Americans is Mexico, followed by Canada, followed by France. The above posters are right that a lot of people like resort-type destinations.

And Canada has the advantage of being relatively accessible, culturally and linguistically speaking (Quebec notwithstanding), as well as being a place that many millions can actually just drive to.

France, meanwhile, is regarded as a quality cultural and food destination. Americans who are not incredibly adventurous do enjoy Western Europe, and a lot of people think that France offers about the best of the region.

There are also a great variety of domestic tourism destinations. I live in San Francisco, a very popular tourism destination, and I think at least half of the tourists I meet are fellow Americans. Even more if you include Hawaii, which although technically domestic is physically overseas, and culturally a bit more like a colony.

Personally, I favored Asia for many years, seeing the majority of countries in the continent, have taken a couple of safaris in Africa, and have barely dipped to my toe into Western Europe, which I visited only three or four times in the last 20 years. I'm spending a month this summer in Italy, where I have not been in almost 30 years, in part to make up for that.

>T. Old person who likes traveling.
>>
>>1256426
Many Americans spend their travel dollars on the comfort of cruise ships and all inclusive resorts rather than visiting they typical international tourist spots. When you view international travel is a luxury, you tend to choose the most luxurious form of it you can afford. And if you can't afford it you just convince yourself you're living in the greatest country in the world, so other places aren't worth seeing.
>>
>>1256453
This.
>leave New Orleans on cruise ship
>get drunk
>cirle around the Caribbean
>return via Florida

The US is a huge country with a huge population; you'll meet many of us abroad but most Americans don't have passports. We go to Disney parks or visit somewhere else within our own state, usually a beach type place.
>>
>>1256426
Per capita Sweden is the number one tourist to Thailand
>>
File: France satellite.jpg (1MB, 1950x1463px) Image search: [Google]
France satellite.jpg
1MB, 1950x1463px
>>1256316
Besides the language I also think my fellow French people spend many of their hollidays in their own country because it's pretty diverse. Outside of the hundreds of towns and cities, the cultural aspect, the landscapes are also pretty good with ocean, sea, several mountain ranges of varied altitude and geology, forests, river gorges, caves, plateaux etc with all the activities they entail.
We're surely not as huge as the USA but frankly for our size there is much more than meet the eye.
>>
>>1256316
Mostly the bayhouse my Granddad built here in Virginia. But if time and money allows, Florida, to visit the family cousins in Scotland, and my cousin and her Swiss husband outside Zurich.
>>
I usually do 2 ski trips in western US (usually Utah), 1 big international trip for 2 weeks (Europe, Asia, or SA), a short trip to a European city (4-5) days and a couple long weekends to different cities in the US. That pretty much uses up my vacation days for the year
>>
>>1256494
>But if time and money allows: Florida, or to visit the family cousins in Scotland, or my cousin and her Swiss husband outside Zurich.
It might be a bit autistic, but my grammar there was too fucked for me to ignore.
>>
>>1256316
Most Americans don't go very far or go anywhere interesting because we are all retarded and have shit taste. Her in NY/CT people will go, depending on their tastes, to Vermont, Cape Cod, Lake George, New Jersey, maybe Florida if they feel like a bigger trip. Maybe Vegas.

If people around here leave the country, it is normally to an all inclusive luxury resort or maybe an all inclusive luxury cruise somewhere.

When I tell people about going to Asia, or about hostels or backpacking they look at me with sheer amazement, they can't even fathom doing such a thing.

And in the first place, most Americans don't even travel that often, somehow people have got it in their head that travel is an extremely expensive luxury.

>>1256453
>>1256457
Why are we so stupid?
>>
>>1256951
>Why are we so stupid?

It's not that, it's just that America has a very broad country to explore lots of different ways of life without once going out of the country. Driven up and down the east coast half, the west coast, and coast to coast; it's amazing how much you can see and experience in land/life just by staying in the country.

There are a few other factors as well
>Hostels
Traveling with a significant other or kids really turns a lot of people off to this. Most all are fine even in the us, but it's an abstract concept to sleep with strangers given how cheap hotels can be in the US
>Language barriers
When I told my friends and people I was going to japan everyone was like "whoa you know japanese that well" when in reality I know it so/so but a lot of people speak english to some extent. People thinking a language barrier is a problem and would get them lost scares a lot of people.
>Tour groups/Tour packages
These are the biggest scams that inflate what it looks like to travel because "Oh we have a guide that will show you the local spot", "Well it helps to have a guide, you can't speak X can you", "we will book you on the best safest flights". When it is just a stupid big overhead and could be solved with a day or two of research
>Cruises
Stupid cheap and most americans are just going to drink and party anyways
>>
>>1256955
You honestly think Americans aren't traveling abroad because they are exploring the country like you described?

Unfortunately they do not even do that. Most stay in the same area, vacation in the same couple of places over and over again, and go on a luxury trip every once in a while.

Also while yeah driving coast to coast you see how different different areas of the country are you are making it sound way more interesting and exciting than it actually is.
>>
>>1256966
I'm american dude, I both travel abroad and have explained this to people and am speaking from experience of things I get told.

Not saying all will go to the other side of the country but a lot can change just by going over a state or two in terms of culture people and things to do. Going to Myrtle beach can provide some cool suff when you are coming from DC or NoVA. My point is there are a lot of things that encourage local/mid-length travel over going to another country.
>>
>>1256316
Usually in America itself. It's a huge country with a lot to see in its own right, buffered by two oceans. Always get a lol when smug Euros say they're so much more well traveled. Nice hacks you got there Europe.
>>
>>1256971
>most Euro countries could fit in california
>>
>>1256951
>Most Americans don't go very far or go anywhere interesting because we are all retarded and have shit taste. Her in NY/CT people will go, depending on their tastes, to Vermont, Cape Cod, Lake George, New Jersey, maybe Florida if they feel like a bigger trip. Maybe Vegas.

Are you implying New York to Florida is not far?
>>
>ITT a bunch of faggot American college students that think they are superior to 99% of the country because they went to Europe for two weeks one summer on their student loan or trust fund money

Adult Americans actually have to work for a living and most real jobs will not let you have more than a week off once a year if you're lucky, unlike Europe which gets legally mandated months worth of paid time off.

It's not practical to spend two of those days in flight when anything you could ever want is a 4 hour flight in country. International travel is also much more expensive.

That's it. That's the end. So surprise, it isn't because America is full of dumb hicks. This board has turned into such reddit cancer I remember why I quit coming here.
>>
>>1257005
>there is one reason and one reason only and that is why

lol, this thread is more reddit than things I've read there

Most fulltime jobs in america give 2 weeks a year, I've occured 4 weeks I am blowing in japan. Proper planning with your employer well in advance generally means you can do 2 weeks in a row, but up time against holidays to maximize time spent
>>
The USA is 2nd only to China in international tourism spent/outbound travelers, but just like most Europeans visit other European countries, most Americans visit other North American countries.

Funny a Frenchmen mase this page. USA ia the 2nd most visited country by international tourists. France is first
>>
>>1256951
I live in Las Vegas and we usually go to Cali or Utah. It's at least 3 hours either way and 4-5 to get to the beach. There is a lot of nice landscape in Utah for outdoor activities and awesome mountains.
>>
>>1257005
>most real jobs
This is why so many young people are opting for the gig economy. The old paradigm of getting a "real" job and being tethered to working 9 to 5 for some corporation doesn't really pay off like it did in the 1960's and 70's in most fields. There's not as much incentive to "act like an adult" when the payoff for doing so has gone to shit. Especially if you can manage to find other options.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.