[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If I travelled through Australia, what are the things and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7

File: straya n stuff.png (25KB, 1200x600px) Image search: [Google]
straya n stuff.png
25KB, 1200x600px
If I travelled through Australia, what are the things and places I should visit?
>>
Be less specific please.
>>
>>1256174
Get naked and run into Pine Gap
>>
Tasmania has some pretty interesting scenery, and history.

We also have good food and good beer.
>>
>>1256180
I've got quite some time and like to see nice thingies.
>>
>>1256174
r u australian?
>>
>>1256182
Nah, I'll be busy getting naked, running through Sydney, scaring people and jumping off the harbour bridge in a beautiful sunset scenery at the end of an unforgettable day. Yet I appreciate your idea mate!
>>
>>1256198
I'm from Germany, but a friend of mine has spent a year in Australia and I'm also quite interested in that place.
>>
>>1256184
Thanks, just looked at some pictures of it. Surely I'll take a trip to the south and especially some isles at the end.
>>
>>1256200
i have quite a few german friends on 457 visas
>>
>>1256174
Australian here

My country works on a high wage-high earning ecconomy that can be punishing on travelers, especially travelers who don't do their own cooking.
Distances are large because all the cities are coastal, and flights are very expensive which restrains some visitors

natural sights
Great barrier reef
Tasmanian old growth forests
Beaches and forests in Nth Queensland
The great bloody dessert in the middle of the country, just go to see it and come back out
Inland rivers in Victoria, the Murray, Jameson for fishers
ularu, big rock in desert

Citties
Melbourne- major financial and urban hub, lots of hipsters, expensive, artsy
Sydney- more laid back
Canberra-nothing here but roundabouts, museums, parliament building
Darwin- dysfunction, crocodiles, aboriginal bullshit, backpackers
Perth and brisbane- never been myself

special attractions
MONA art gallery in tazmania
Melbourne aquarium
Some world class zoos all over, traditional and open range
Pubs, many are still good!
Crocodile parks, darwin and QLD
>>
>>1256220
Thank you, many points like natural, urban and cultural sights I've added to my list. Yeah, I've heard that also some consumables are quite expensive and that might be why many travellers choose to work there for some time.
>>
Perth if you wanna see the city with the highest % of alchoholics in Australia, They also smoke meth out of lightbulbs
>>
>>1256239
Perth you say? If I'll ever get bored, I'm looking forward to getting in fights with alcoholics and hipsters out there.
>>
File: 20140112_155047.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20140112_155047.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>1256174
dont come to tasmania, we're full.
>>
File: tasmania.jpg (386KB, 816x612px) Image search: [Google]
tasmania.jpg
386KB, 816x612px
>>1256246
Yes you've got a point there...
>>
>>1256242
>>1256239
yea dont go to perth. if you cycle theres a nice trail here but thats about it
>>
>>1256269
I see.
>>
>>1256220>>1256174

Adelaide/ Barossa for wine
Kimberley/ Arnhem Land for Aboriginal art and natural shit
Go for a surf at dawn or dusk and you might see a shark coming at you
>>
>>1256321
Aboriginal and natural stuff might be interesting as well. I'd prefer doing the surfing with sharks at the end of the holidays after I've seen everything else.
>>
What would you recommend more to do in two weeks?
Darwin and Kakadu National Park or driving from Townsville down to Sydney and see the stuff on the coast (Great Barrier, Magnetic Island, etc.)?
>>
>>1256425
Honestly do the coastal route, if you're committed Australia is a terrific country to drive across, but you don't want to run the risk of accidentally having to spend any time in Darwin.
Small town Australia - i.e. the places off the coast, varies hugely from meth ponds to beautiful places filled with generous people
>>
File: Aborigine_02.jpg (53KB, 616x421px) Image search: [Google]
Aborigine_02.jpg
53KB, 616x421px
>>1256425
Go for the drive desu
There's a bit interesting things going on down the coast and in a way you'll see more of Australia as a country rather than rainforest and crocodiles... also N QLD does have its own tropic beauty
>>
Revs
>>
>>1256174
I've heard they have kangaroos. You should go see wherever the kangaroos are.
>>
>>1256184
Is it possible to swim there from Australia?
I've got a big one
>>
>>1256239
He can also meet a white South African, back home the blacks hunt them for food, so they're endangered.
>>
>>1256554
>>1256630
Thanks!

To OP:
Did an internship in Melbourne for 4 weeks, is a nice city, wouldn't miss it.
The weather in September was quite bad, I would study some climatediagrams and adapt your route if you can.
Visited also Tasmania, also very nice.
Philipp Island and the Grampians were also cool, but not a must do.
The Great Ocean Road was pretty cool, if you have time you should consider it.
>>
Sydney is basically like if you took the laid back attitude of brisbane combined it with the artsy attitude of melbourne and met somewhere in the middle.
>>
File: 69c34b8b17dca2fc495ef6696e5216bf.png (321KB, 2000x1870px) Image search: [Google]
69c34b8b17dca2fc495ef6696e5216bf.png
321KB, 2000x1870px
>>
>>1256239
Perth is nice, its just boring for tourists aside from Cottesloe.

>>1256403
>""""""Aboriginal culture""""""
>>
>>1256202
I recently hired a campervan amd drove arpund tas over 10 days. I drove south then north along the east coast. I'd recommend it for sure.
>>
File: western australia2.gif (126KB, 920x1120px) Image search: [Google]
western australia2.gif
126KB, 920x1120px
>>1256174
I just spend 30min making this quick guide to Western Australia. Please, enjoy you stay...
>>
>>1256220
Perth and Brisbane for beaches and women
>>
I've done a lot more than these as an Australian, but from my experiences I would say a general overview trip would include the following;

Queensland:
>Great Barrier Reef (Cairns region)
>Daintree rainforest
>Brisbane
>Possibly Gold Coast
>Whitsundays
>Crocodile/wildlife tours and parks
>Snorkelling

New South Wales:
>Sydney
>Bondi beach
>Blue Mountains
>Coffs Harbour
>Canberra

Victoria:
>Melbourne
>Phillip Island
>Grampian ranges
>Great Ocean Road (12 Apostles) - possibly Wilson's Promontory
>Open range zoo
>Ballarat (Sovereign Hill)

Tasmania:
>Hobart + Mount Wellington
>Richmond
>Port Arthur
>Wineglass Bay/ Bay of Fires
>Launceston + Cataract Gorge
>Cradle Mountain

South Australia:
>Adelaide
>Kangaroo Island
>Barossa Valley wineries

Western Australia:
>Perth
>Margaret River
>Nalbung National Park
>Kimberly Ranges
>Ningaloo Reef
>Possibly Broome

Northern Territory:
>Darwin
>Kakadu National Park
>Alice Springs + Uluru
>Range of natural formations, wetlands, etc
>>
never done any sort of backpacking before but I've recently had the urge to visit australia - any tips for a 24yo US college dropout who's been saving up for a trip like this?
>>
>>1258825
Depends how long you plan to stay.

when you get to Australia you can do 1 of 2 thing:

1) go to one of the backpacking travel agencies and book all your tours at once so you stick to an itinerary. Peter pan's was decent.

2) buy/rent a camper and drive where ever you want. I met some USA guy circling the entire country in a camper van.

most people do the meme coast (east coast) route, which is nice and fun. But i highly recommend doing a tour or travelling through northern territory up to darwin.

Don't go with a smoking habit (expensive as fuck)
Aussie women aren't as easy as you may think
be prepared to shop for provisions and prepare your own food.
>>
>>1258907
Think about 2 months would be a good amount of time?

Wasn't expecting the ladies to be easy - if the women are anything like the wildlife, well...
No smoking habits either, so that's good. Doing the camper thing might be pretty cool, I'll consider that. I've heard that you can do some part time work or odd jobs to help fund your visit? any tips on that?
>>
>>1256237
thread is still here, neat

many foods here are laughably cheap, it's just that Australians don't know how to cook them.
eggs go for around 2$ a douzen
Rice is very very cheap
the stupid supermarket bread is like 1-2$ a loaf
vegetable prices are relatively high, but there are always deals to be had
Cheese is cheaper than you would expect, 8$ for a huge block

try hitting up the chinese grocery, ALDI supermarkets are the cheapest by far

chicken is the cheapest meat by a long way in most areas, but it's pumped full of water.

>>1256264
fuckig kek

>>1256554
darwin isn't that bad
..it's not good, but I wouldn't actively avoid it if you're staying in the city centre

>>1258467
great post anon
>>
>>1258922
Yeah, 2 months is good amount time to travel most of the country. You only need a couple nights in each destination (maybe a little longer for places like Sydney, Byron Bay and Melbourne). If you're going through Northern Territory, give yourself 2 weeks.

Usually you need a working holiday visa (not sure if they offer it to americans) to work. However, there are probably situations where you can work under the table.
>>
>>1259145
yea you can work under the table, but the working holiday visa really is quiet generous and people working under the table often end up doing the same kinds of work
>>
>>1256174
if you come to Perth, jump off Black Wall Reach, amazing views as and a good place to smash some tins with the lads.
>>
>>1258467
That's a good post but dont ever recommend Launceston in tassie
>>
>>1260257
Why's that?
>>
Whats the best place to crack a cold one with the boys?
>>
File: PostcardPerfect_flattened.jpg (901KB, 1840x1226px) Image search: [Google]
PostcardPerfect_flattened.jpg
901KB, 1840x1226px
Scenic World in Katoomba.
>>
>>1260257
theres few towns in australia where you can smell beer brewing everywhere in the 'CBD'. malty malty goodness. and the cataract with its free pool is pretty sweet in summer.
>>
west coast, check out ningaloo reef and karijini national park
>>
>>1256174
How long do you have there? I would suggest doing a trip along the east coast if you've got time. Wollongong to Cairns.

The issue is the train-line doesn't run along some parts of the coast, so you will need to get buses to see those parts of the coast not near the train-line.

Utilizing free camp zones or couch surfing will make it way cheaper for you, and buying food to cook yourself or buying from fish n chip shops will help too.
>>
>>1260257
I also didn't liked Launceston. Hobart was good, nice market and nature around.
Launceston was kinda depressing.
>>
>Victoria
-Melbourne
-- Revs
-- NGV
-- Street art
-- General sightseeing

>Country Victoria
- Beechworth and surrounds
-- Artisan stores and stuff
-- History

- Benalla
-- Street art festival
-- History
-- Methamphetamine

- Mansfield
-- Skiing
-- Hiking
-- Mountain Biking

- Echuca
-- Murray River
-- History

>South West Coast
- Great Ocean Road
-- Driving
-- Surfing
>>
I'll be in Australia from August to late October, I'll spend all of September in Darwin but I'm alone and free the rest of the trip, so I'm wondering, what is the best way to get from Darwin to Cairns, Id prefer not to fly since I've never been in Australia but if I lose too much time I'm not opposed to flying, driving isn't an issue I did 4500 kilometers last year when I was up in Canada/northwest USA

I'm most interested in nature so naturally daintree and the barrier reef are already covered, thinking of taking myself up to Cape York but I'm not sure how much time that'll lose me and if it's worth?

Anyways, Id love some tips and pointers.
>>
Do they still hsve that koala brothel in Western Australia?
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.