[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japan General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 352
Thread images: 47

File: IMG_3558.jpg (155KB, 667x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3558.jpg
155KB, 667x1000px
New Japan General

As always, feel free to ask about:
>Traveling to Japan
>Living in Japan
>Teaching in Japan
>Joining the Yakuza
>Getting your weeb fantasies crushed

*Info on prostitution*
Please try to refrain from asking questions about prostitution. Japan's sex industry is almost completely inaccessible to foreigners who do not speak Japanese. What is available can generally be found in the following links
>http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/
>http://erolin.net/
>http://rockitrisingsun.com/

*Note about the JR Pass*
Many people ask about whether or not the JR Rail Pass is worth it. It depends on your itinerary.

>http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Plug your itinerary into Hyperdia to determine ticket costs, then compare to the below JR Pass options:
>7 day Pass: 29,110¥
>14 day Pass: 46,390¥
>21 day Pass: 59,350¥

Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.

Please refer to the old thread while it's still up: >>1251256
>>
File: 1431907490042.jpg (554KB, 1280x1006px) Image search: [Google]
1431907490042.jpg
554KB, 1280x1006px
>1 more day until my flight
>>
English teachers or people living in Japan, what's your end game?
>>
Copy/pasted from last thread

I was considering doing the Shikoku Pilgrimage so I googled some videos about it, found this one - seems proper crowded, I thought it would be a quiet, isolated journey - anyone done it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nopay5yG15I
>>
so if i'm going to be in tokyo for a month, and i want a rechargable subway card, this is what i want to get?
http://www.pasmo.co.jp/en/buy/
>>
>>1253939
no, get a Suica

Suica mustard race

No they're both the same, Suica just has a cute penguin on it so I prefer it :3
>>
英語ができない日本人だけど
茨城に寄るときがあれば連絡くれ
メシでも食おう
>>
>>1253966
>英語ができない日本人だけど
>茨城に寄るときがあれば連絡くれ
>メシでも食おう
konnichiwa nihonjin-san. Ore wa anta no tomodachi desu. Question ga arimasu:
Manga ga suki desu ka? Jitsu wa ore wa DOUJIN artisto desu!

Hai, sonotoori, watashi wa doujin saakuru motteimasu. Ippai nihonjin doujin saakuru tomodachi mo imasu!

Saa kore wa oreno finaru question desu:
Ore no doujin saakuru ni join desu ka? Ima skilled writer looking for desu!

Kore wa anta no chance da! Watashitachi Comiket 92 no ichiban doujin kingu ni narimasu!

Watashi anta no reply no matteru desu. Arigatou gozaimasu!

anta no ichiban gaijin tomodachi,
Oresama
>>
>>1253966
>英語ができない日本人だけど
>茨城に寄るときがあれば連絡くれ
>メシでも食おう
LINEがありますか
>>
>>1253966
今回の訪ねは多分無理けどまた八月行くのつもりでと都北行きたいと思う。連絡先とかあるのか?
>>
If I don't like cabbage, will I like okonomiyaki? Does it have a crunch like lettuce or does the batter and stuff pretty much overpower that texture/flavor?
>>
>>1253907
You asked this last thread and got multiple responses. What's YOUR end game?
>>
>>1254004
Why don't you just try it? It's not expensive.
>>
>>1254007
Because I'm not in Japan. I'm going in July and trying to find standout restaurants to visit and things to try ahead of time, read about okonomiyaki, and was curious about it, since it's a specialty in some places. I'll probably try it regardless, just wondering.
>>
>>1253977
I don't know a fucking word of Japanese, yet I was perfectly able To understand this post, lmao
>>
>>1254004

It's pretty well disguised by the other ingredients, I wasn't a big fan of cabbage when I first had it and it was definitely one of my favorite meals I had there.
>>
>>1254004
I'm not a fan of cabbage either, and the okonomiyaki at Hiroshima was pretty great.
>>
Anyone here do the Mt. Fuji hike? I'm going in August to go hike it.

I'm currently planning to hike base to summit starting at Kitaguchi Hongu Fuji Sengen Jinja. I've pretty much got all my gear ready, just need to buy some waterproof rain pants; already got my shell jacket, backpack, and thermal layering garments.
>>
Is Sapporo worth checking out alone
>>
What's the easiest service to book a taxi with in advance?

We need to be able to book an arrival/return trip, same place.
>>
>>1254016

Have fun with the hordes.
>>
File: 6787.jpg (53KB, 960x539px) Image search: [Google]
6787.jpg
53KB, 960x539px
>>1254016
I've done it from station 5 to the top.

>>1254024
Lol you sound Japanese. I did it in the middle of Obon and it was fine, crowds aren't really a problem. Pic is one I took from the summit.
>>
What are some good things to do in one day in Osaka?
>>
>>1254037

The women. Oh, the aquarium is nice.
>>
File: 33.jpg (324KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
33.jpg
324KB, 2048x1152px
Okay, guys.

I recently lucked into a good paying job and am stashing as much cash as possible.

I think I'll have around $5,000 saved up by August. $1,400 of that will be used for air. How long could I go in Japan on that assuming that I'm left with $3,600 to fuck around.

I don't party, at least not a lot, so that should cut out a large amount of the usual cost. Most of what I plan to do is use the Japan Rail Pass to go all over and take pictures.
>>
>>1254058
Similar question, I'm looking at between $3,000-4,000 after airfare. Can I stretch that out to two weeks reasonably? Planning to do a lot of cheap nature type stuff while I'm there
>>
>>1254062
>>1254058
Plan about 700-1000 per week if you really want to enjoy yourself and indulge a bit in everything Japan has to offer. Don't forget that the rail pass is going to be a bit extra, but I suggest looking into regional train passes (e.g. Seisshun Kippu 18) and overnight buses or something
>>
>>1254062
You want to know if you can survive for two weeks on $4000? God you autists in this general are fucking retarded sometimes.
>>
>>1254066
Thanks anon. This will be my first time traveling abroad, so I don't have much concept of what kinds of unexpected fees and costs I'll run into... well, I guess that's why they're unexpected.

>>1254067
I mean obviously I'm not gonna starve or end up on the street, I'm more asking what level of comfort I can expect with hotels, what kinds of meals, etc. I should have elaborated more.
>>
>>1254067
I'm the first guy

I want to know how long I can go on $3600. I'm thinking like 1 month+ if possible.
>>
File: budget.jpg (102KB, 900x654px) Image search: [Google]
budget.jpg
102KB, 900x654px
>>1254058
>>1254062
>>1254072
I'm going in July with a friend for 18 days. Pic related is my expected budget, which might give you a ballpark. I welcome any feedback from other anons if there are things I've missed, though.
>>
>>1254078
Cool! Very helpful, thank you. This looks like a good way to organize the itinerary.
>>
>>1254072
How long is a piece of string ? What comforts are you expecting ? Are you sleeping in a tent or paying for accommodation ? Can you survive from convientstore food and ramen ? Are you travelling by bus, train or plane ?
>>
File: japanese trucks 2.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
japanese trucks 2.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
I will arrive there in 18 hours
Should I be extra careful of vehicles just like in our chinese cartoons
>>
>>1254089
This. I spend two whole months in Japan using only 2500 dollars. Your trip is as cheap as you are willing to make it. Within reason, of course. Piece of advice: travel in summer. It's cheaper than dealing with even autumn.

>>1254090
Follow the fucking rules, stop being a fucking tourist and all will work out.
>>
>>1254078
food/alcohol could me more pricey than you expect. don't know what you're like. you should budget something for miscellaneous stuff you left at home/breaks on trip, but i couldn't guess for you. depends on how tight your money is
>>
>>1254091
>Piece of advice: travel in summer. It's cheaper than dealing with even autumn.
How come?
>>
>>1254094
It's easier to find buses travelling at night, you require less clothes and thus need to use public transport less because of the less weight, and just enjoying being outside is much easier as you don't really have a budget for expensive attractions. Super budget trips are only fun if you can be outside for hours on end without needing much shelter (in addition to forcing you to explore cities as your main form of tourism, which often turns out pretty good in Japan).
>>
>>1254016
I have done it. Super fun, the hordes are part of the experience and not bad to deal with if you are fit. I ended up sleeping just like on the cliff face near the top cause I didnt book a hotel station thingy and I hiked too quickly. Was cold af but w.e. Theres vending machines at the top lol.
>>
File: IMAG2967.jpg (623KB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG2967.jpg
623KB, 1520x2688px
There is now a /trv/Japan LINE group!
If you would like to join, email your LINE ID to:

trv4chan@gmail dot com
>>
what other boards does every one usually post on? i would like to join the line but if it's full of /b/-tards and /pol/ i wouldnt feel very welcomed
>>
>>1254114
i post on /sp/, /n/, /ck/ and sometimes on /mu/
>>
>>1253909
I live in Shikoku, and its currently pilgrimage season. I've never seen that amount of people doing it however, just one or two dudes walking along the road.
>>
File: trump-farage-40k.jpg (153KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
trump-farage-40k.jpg
153KB, 1024x768px
>>1254114
>not liking /pol/
>current year
>>
>>1254114
/p/, I like /n/ for cycling
>>
lads, where do I find list of events being held in June in Japan this year? I want it to be game-anime related.
>>
>>1254149
google
>>
File: penquinfu.png (316KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
penquinfu.png
316KB, 720x480px
>>1253956
>Suica just has a cute penguin on it
well when you put it THAT way...
>>
Hi I'm travelling solo. Will I enjoy Universal Studios Japan alone or should I take it off my itinerary?
>>
>>1254184
Go inside if you're a theme-park virgin. Otherwise, explore the urban jungle or if you are sick of it, try going to the nearest place with mountain views. It's not hard to find something for anyone in Japan.
>>
>>1254184
do you like theme parks?

if so go to the theme park.
>>
>>1254190
>>1254194
I have never went to any theme park in my life

But I heard the queue for ride is very long

Being an autist I would be standing there for about an hour without making eye contact to anyone
>>
Currently close to the southern tip of Japan and about to head north

Been alone every step of the way but wanted to change it up a bit, anyone want to meet up? My email is [email protected]
>>
>>1254196
Theme parks are best enjoyed with friends/family. I'd recommend going somewhere else and explore. I find walking around the main stations pleasurable.
>>
>>1254198
thanks man
>>
>>1254196
I went to Fuji-Q on a weekday in April and the longest line I waited in was 45 minutes. Most were closer to 20-30. Just don't go on a weekend or holiday.
>>
>>1253977
やぁ 日本語上手いね

>Manga ga suki desu ka?
嫌いじゃないけど、最近はもうあんまり読まないかな…

>Ore no doujin saakuru ni join desu ka? Ima skilled writer looking for desu!
同人サークルやってるんだ すごいね
悪いけど、参加は辞退するよ
絵や文章書くのは苦手なんだ、ごめんね

>>1253982
>>1253996
LINEありますよ IDは「touhokujin」です
ただ平日の8:00~18:00は仕事中なんで
ココも見てないしLINEもおそらく返せない
それでも良ければ
>>
>>1254024

I'm going at the very end of August, I'm sure there will be crowds, but nothing like during Obon.

>>1254029
>>1254099

I'm still on the fence about booking a space in a hut, glad to know just winging it outside is an option. Can't wait to see the mythical mountain vending machines, ha.

Crowds or not, ultimately I'm excited for the whole experience.
>>
>>1254214
I'm doing Mt. Fuji climb this August too, is there a place where you can leave your things while you are hiking? I will be coming from Kamikochi campsite for 2-3 nights hauling my stuff.
>>
>>1254114

/mu/, /ck/, /fa/, and /co/ on occasion.
>>
>>1254216

I'm leaving my stuff at a hotel, but from what I've heard there are rent-able lockers at the Kawaguchiko train station; it sounds like there might be some on the 5th mountain station as well if you're planning on starting your hike there.
>>
>>1254078
Here we go.
1. You aren't going to spend a lot of money on transportation in Tokyo since you're getting a JR pass. Not sure for other cities, but Tokyo and the general area is pretty easy to travel around with just the JR pass. So expect a little bit lower on the transit fees.
2. Got nothing to say for accomodations. Very subjective.
3. Spending $8 for breakfast is a rather high price, unless you plan on going all out with fancy food. Lunch is generally way cheaper than dinner prices so I think you're good on that. Dinner for $16 is low. Unless you go cheap eats, which are generally not bad at all.
4. Robot Restaurant is a travel bait. Don't do it. Most of the shrines in Kyoto have a ticket that gets you into multiple shrines. Average entrance fee to a lot of places is around $5-6. Some even lower.
Overall, not a bad budget, but prepare an extra $1000 or so. Money has the tendency to disappear when you are travelling.
>>
File: glassesnopoint.png (296KB, 653x367px) Image search: [Google]
glassesnopoint.png
296KB, 653x367px
>>1253904
>six days until mine
>>
>>1254245
What is robot resto
>>
>>1254271
Don't listen to this guy, Robot Restaurant is pretty cool. Is it touristy AF? SURE! But who the fuck cares? It's a fucking awesome show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L-SmmFQfEE
>>
File: 1481523147389.gif (1MB, 500x549px) Image search: [Google]
1481523147389.gif
1MB, 500x549px
>>1254269
Five until mine
>>
Tfw 1 hour till my flight matane
>>
Anyone have experience flying on ANA business class? I fly out on July and want to know how ANA's service compares with other airlines.
>>
>>1254284
I've flown it 3 times. Pretty good food (make sure to try the wagyu meat buns if they have them, they are amazing), good selection of sake and they carry hibiki 17 whiskey, flight attendants are great, seat is very comfortable to the point that I've gotten 6-8 hours of good sleep on every flight I took with them (6 on NRT-SEA only because it's a short flight to begin with). Movie/TV selection isn't great, but I read on my Kindle when I wasn't eating or sleeping anyways.
>>
>>1254274
Where you staying at famalam? I'll be in Asakusa.
>>
https://youtu.be/uxNNcjCshwc
beautiful
>>
>>1254291
Going a few places with a mate
Hiroshima, Himeji, Osaka and then Tokyo
Mostly I'll be in Tokyo though.
>>
Leaving for Japan tomorrow. Not really looking forward to the long haul but fuck it. be awesome to go back. If you see a lumberjack looking motherfucker bumming around Kyoto on sunday looking like they just had a ten hour flight, say hi, maybe throw pokari at me.
>>
>>1254300
Oh, and osaka, find an otaku bar called Emergency Koi, its in the kinki district, google should get you there. Taro is the owner, speaks good english and is a riot, and his bar girls are hilarious.
>>
Gonna travel to Japan for three weeks around New Year.

How is the experience with airbnb in Japan. I do have right now two bookings running for the first week one at airbnb and one at booking. Both are in Ikebukuro.
The airbnb one is significantly cheaper, should I pick it?
>>
>>1254342
Mostly all right, but do keep in mind booking normally more likely to have someone speaking good English on the property than one in airbnb. Assuming you can at least understand basic japanese, airbnb is the better choice. If not, stick to booking.
>>
>>1254345
The profile page says that the host can speak English so I guess it's safe to go with airbnb.

Sadly I can't find a good airbnb offer which can compete with the price and location of the APA hotel in Namba-Higashi
>>
>>1254005

I'd like some more responses, since the subject is interesting to me. Are you offended that the same question is asked in different threads?
>>
>>1254114
/p/ is pretty much all I go on anymore.

I was on /lit/ back when discussion was reasonably good. I used to have discussions about art house movies on /tv/ back when that was possible. Way way back I was a /b/ lurker, that was around 2008 though.
>>
>>1254114
That line is full of normies discussing everyday life.
IIRC these are the people who met each other last year. I didnt feel they look forward to meet newcomers at all. Left after a few days. Oh, not a single word about anime was said...
>>
>>1254184
Why would you travel to Japan and go to an American theme park?
>>
>>1254385
Same reason you would enter into a Japanese forest, or visit an Indian mcdonalds: no matter how similar you think it might be to your local one, weird unique surprises abound even in the most similar of place.
>>
>>1254386
The locals opposed the construction of Universal and Disney parks.
>>
>>1254386
I agree with that sentiment but it's not really a reason to spend hundreds on visiting Universal Studios. Why not just visit every fucking McDonalds in Osaka instead, they won't charge you for entry?
>>
>>1254388
The locals also opposed the Effiel tower, the Burj Khalifa, the Tokyo tower, and pretty much every other major landmark. Locals opposing things because they fear change is basically how it works. Do you want the giant Walmart in the middle of your neighborhood?

>>1254389
It's a perfectly valid reason. That you prefer to do something else with your money doesn't mean others won't enjoy the Shark from jaws being replaced by an anime girl.
>>
>>1254395
>he locals also opposed the Effiel tower, the Burj Khalifa, the Tokyo tower, and pretty much every other major landmark. Locals opposing things because they fear change is basically how it works.

No, they opposed it because it was American.
>>
File: sim-vending.jpg (10KB, 271x236px) Image search: [Google]
sim-vending.jpg
10KB, 271x236px
Is there something I'm not considering about sim-cards in Japan? People make a big deal about it, but the data only plans seem pretty straight forward, although expensive:

https://www.easygojapan.com/rental/en/news/info_prepaidsim.html

You can get ~3GB for 30 days for ~5,000Y.. so whats the big deal? That's a shitload of data when you're travelling and really shouldn't be using your phone at all.

Which companies are the best in peoples experience and have the best coverage?

Or can I save money doing it another way?
>>
>>1254385
Why not. Those places are immensely popular with Japanese people. It's like the time my friend visited me here in Japan and first night he arrived I just took him Saizeriya for dinner. He was kind of miffed (even though he was being an indecisive deferential cunt so that's why we ended up there).

He was like "dude I'm in Japan and you take me here? Couldn't we have done something a little more authentic?"

And I'm like "This is authentic. Japanese love Saizeriya. You're having more of an authentic Tokyo experience than the cunt who saw the Jiro documentary and then memed his way out 200 bucks because he had to get some Michelin Star sushi".
>>
>>1254424
Japanese people also love to become hopeless and sexless neets and finally commit suicide, so practice what you preach.
>>
>>1254426
Bit rude desu.
>>
>>1254427
I suppose I find theme parks to be a pretty shitty option in any circumstance, let alone when you're in another country and have countless other things to do.
>>
>>1254429
True
>>
>>1254423
My family used one of those included portable wifi units and we were quite happy about it. See if where you are staying offer them.
>>
>>1254429

I'm simply trying to make a point that deconstructs traditional "realtraveler" snobbery. Doing things like going to a theme park or family chain restaurant is what locals do. So in a sense you are having an "authentic experience" in the country you're visiting by doing those things.

I think it can be pretty safely inferred that the guy going to USJ is in fact,going to do other things in Japan as well and that USJ was not the reason sine qua non that he went to Japan.

Assuming you have adequate time in Japan there's no reason not to go to USJ if you like theme parks.
>>
>>1254438
What you're forgetting is that Western culture is now World culture, we created so many practical and sensational things that most people copy us. I mean, you wouldn't walk around Tokyo in a European suit because that's what most Japanese men wear now, but you probably would wear a traditional robe to a temple.
>>
>>1254432
i don't think it works out well for long-term. it's nice for group trips, because rentals normally include interstate(forget what their highway is called) tolls paid for. so that's a plus
>>
File: 4305807513_d340b6a945_o1.jpg (245KB, 862x575px) Image search: [Google]
4305807513_d340b6a945_o1.jpg
245KB, 862x575px
Hey guys, I have a bit of an obscure question that I hope one of you could answer.
Context: I'm travelling to Japan for a couple of weeks in July and also hopping over to South Korea for a week, I'm flying back to Narita and then flying back to my country that evening. I will have about 7 hours to kill at the airport before my flight home departs and I was thinking of going into Narita City for a couple of hours and then returning to the airport.
Question: Am I allowed to check-in my luggage after clearing customs and immigration after arriving from Seoul, then leave the airport to Narita City, then come back? I'm afraid that checking in my luggage then leaving the airport may cause suspicion or just not be allowed.
>>
>>1254438
Spose you can justify anything these days
>Western culture imperialism gives me permission to eat McDonalds in a country outside the US
>>
>>1254485
You can just put your bags in a coin locker, it is super cheap and very safe.
>>
File: 1495415371974.jpg (23KB, 640x559px) Image search: [Google]
1495415371974.jpg
23KB, 640x559px
>>1254274
2 until mine
>>
>>1254485

This sounds iffy, anon. You'd have to go through immigration and then check into your next flight in the main departures area. Whether they'd let you check in 7 hours in advance is doubtful. Better to either (a) check in your luggage all the way through to your home country (when you check in in Seoul) or (b) stash it in a locker (if they're available, or at a left-luggage service in Narita if they're not, as >>1254498 suggested). In any case, given the time it will take to go through immigration twice plus customs, etc., 7 hours isn't much to go all the way to Tokyo and back. You might be better off going to Chiba city instead, which is a lot closer to Narita.
>>
>>1254487

By your logic, if I eat sushi in New York City, that's Japanese cultural imperialism. Quenelles in Beijing? French cultural imperialism! Ceviche in Cairo? Those damn imposing Peruvians!

Fact is, anon, you're the worst kind of snob -- a marxist snob.

McDonald's is the biggest and most popular fast-food chain in Japan. Disney and USJ are the two most popular theme parks in Japan. Japanese people go to these places because they like them -- nobody is forcing them to go and there's no "imperialism" involved.

People like what people like -- get over it, and get over yourself.
>>
>>1254501
Don't think I'll be able to get it checked right through to my home country as I'm flying with multiple airlines.

I will go with the coin locker idea if I can't check them in.

Cheers anon.
>>
>>1254504
You're a fucking idiot and missed the guy's point completely.
>>
>>1254504
Not him (I'm >>1254439 and >>1254429).

Honestly, you sound a bit insecure about liking theme parks, and for good reason (you're a faggot).

No ones suggesting imperialism as far as I can see, its not even political. Its just saying, if you go to another country, you shouldn't do cliche tourist shit that you can do in practically any country on Earth, embrace the country you are in...
>>
>>1254521
>No ones suggesting imperialism as far as I can see
>>1254487
>Western culture imperialism gives me permission to eat McDonalds in a country outside the US

>>1254520
>missed the guy's point completely
Really? What do you think >>1254487's point was, faggot?
>>
Reminder Japan will become more and more shitty the closer we get to the Olympic Games.
>>
>>1254522
burger got triggered
>>
File: 20170527_105305.png (255KB, 1440x1214px) Image search: [Google]
20170527_105305.png
255KB, 1440x1214px
>woke up
>See this
My plans just keep getting better and better.

I'm also going to the Sunday show of anisama.
>>
>>1253904
>>1254269
>>1254274
how fucking pathetic and childish you are
>>
>>1254552
What is it?
>>
>>1254561
I got through the lottery and got a ticket for the miku magical mirai live show.
>>
File: 1425231794584 - Copy - Copy.png (153KB, 405x405px) Image search: [Google]
1425231794584 - Copy - Copy.png
153KB, 405x405px
>>1254553
no fun allowed
>>
>not poor
>but love the cheap convenience store onigiri the most

Why I'm so addicted to them?
>>
>tfw landed but my luggage didn't

I-it's not like I wanted clothes or anything
>>
>>1254346
If possible find a place with reviews that clearly state they can speak good English. My experience with airbnb is a lot of profiles saying they speak english and the reality will be their daughter who knows how to say a few garbled sentences is all the English you'll get. Good luck!
>>
>>1254552
Fuck you I'm so jealous.
>>
>>1254561
its some weaboo shit
>>
>>1254612
>daughter

hot
>>
>>1254601
What kind just the plain one?
My problem right now is I'm at a hotel but no anime on my tv what do cause it's channel locked and remote is moonrunes
>>
>>1254552
>648 yen
What the fuck, really?
>>
>>1253977
>anta no ichiban gaijin tomodachi, Oresama
lmao
>>
>>1254671
Shio-musubi.
塩むすび
>>
File: 1487900017706.jpg (72KB, 500x565px) Image search: [Google]
1487900017706.jpg
72KB, 500x565px
>>1254553
Got a problem with anime?
>>
>>1254423
I wasn't aware people made a big deal out of the sim cards. I went to Tokyo about 2 months ago and used a data-only SIM for my phone, served me well while I was there. I bought a So-net 2.5 GB one from a vending machine in Narita, which was more than enough for the 6 days I was there.

Unfortunately, my phone didn't have the necessary frequency bands for LTE so I was stuck with 3G. It was slow, but wasn't too bad.
>>
>>1254649
ah righto, thought it may have been
>>
Anyone staying in the Ueno from may 30-june 6?
>>
I'll be in Japan in July and I want to to attend the Sumo tournament in Nagoya. Any tips on buying tickets? I heard the first set of tickets put on sale already sold out.
>>
I'm planning on taking my first trip outside of burgerland and I picked Japan.
How much Japanese would I need to know for travelling If I was going to stick around the Kanto area, and maybe poke my head into the Kansai area? My current knowledge is limited to rusty hira/kata and basic sentence structure.

I'm also reading up on the Japan stuff in the sticky and all this travel stuff seems so overwhelming, holy shit.
>>
>>1254803
Seeing how autistic you are Japan was a good first choice. English will be fine for all major cities, you can get by with pointing and grunting for the most part if they don't speak English.
>>
>>1254803
Just know sumimasen and arigatou gozaimasu and you'll be good
>>
File: 2048.jpg (462KB, 2048x1610px) Image search: [Google]
2048.jpg
462KB, 2048x1610px
Going to Tokyo, Kyoto, and Hiroshima for about 2 weeks on a family trip.

Sister's a massive Disney-fag, so we're going to Tokyo Disney and Disney Sea. That'll eat up like two days.

Besides that, what are some must sees/dos?

My dad and I are really into cooking and what not, and we're really well traveled. We enjoy weird shit, especially if you can't get it anywhere else. So food recommendations are REALLY appreciated, even if costly.

Separate from that, I'm not a weeb, so don't bother telling me to go to the Gundam museum or anything like that. I, let alone my family, don't have much interest in stuff like that.

Thanks for any help.
>>
>>1254819
Yokohama - China Town
Osaka - Dotonbori

Perfect half a day trips if you are in Tokyo andn Kyoto.
>>
File: 1472573792636.jpg (785KB, 1600x2264px) Image search: [Google]
1472573792636.jpg
785KB, 1600x2264px
Ok, quick question about the climate in Tokyo.

I want to visit the Tokyo area for about 3 weeks, I have 2 options:

- the month of June
- the month of August

Which is generally better weather-wise? I've heard some things about the rainy season (June?) being incredibly humid and hot with permanent overcast skies, anyone with more experience in Tokyo able to chime in on this?

Visited Tokyo before during march/april and had pretty damn good weather, but those months arent an option this time around.

Thanks guys!
>>
Oh, the grudgery of the marxist self.
Be independent, muh nigguh? Naw. Indulge in the urban comformity and the distant hearts of the neoromatic, Led-lit metroplolis, Japan, it is!

You wonder if you should have taken some early 70'ties sci-fi with you. Read it while you dream of meeting your polar opposite in the rainy streets of Izakaya pub district with Yakuzas in your heels.

Where you sit strange laughter is surrounding you in the ambience of mesmerizing sounds of clattering chopsticks. The haunting sounds of fishheads being chopped off reappears in your head from your early morning tsujiki sightseeing tour. You know things will never be the same.

Standing still in the middle of Shinjuku crosswalk you look to the sky, asking yourself, or God, if this is what life was meant for you. If this is what you were meant for life.

The rain never stops in Japan, you think.

The airport jitters lifts as you enter the streets again after the long flight. Finally, you are where you wanted to be. For five seconds. There is what THAT happened.

Deeply in thought from the recent events a speaker adruptly yells: "Turbulence is occurring!" Shocked, you get the peanut in the wrong hole. Too deep, you realize.

"Atleast I got to see the Tokyo Skytree tower!" You think, and die.

It's all an illusion, bro.
>>
>>1254866
Well, what do you want? The month with the most rainy days or the month when the summer peaks?
>>
>>1254869
Well I'll have to choose between warm, overcast super humid weather or even hotter but dry weather.

The thing is, there's loads of averages to be found online, I was just curious anout the first hand experience of regulars or perhaps even locals.
>>
>>1254692
See the below total. It's likely online booking fee
>>
>>1254870
July is still super humid, it just doesn't rain every day.
>>
>>1254819
Nara (nara walker is this nice lady who runs a tour of the city, worth it if you have all day and don't know anything about Nara), Himeji (get the combo castle, mountain, bus, cable car combo ticket, it's worth it), Koya-san, Ueno park, kinkaku-ji, kaiyukan (fuck the haters, the place is great), edo-tokyo museum, the hakone circle if you have time, and Nikko is an awesome two day trip.

As for food, the market besides tsujiki and nishiki are the normal recommendation for a reason, they have good and varied stuff. Sure, the areas closer to the station are more expensive for both, but a bit of walking inside will yield good offers.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (88KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
88KB, 1280x720px
>>1254090
Those Japanese pedestrian lights are so comfy.
>>
>>1254760
I'm staying near Komagome until June 3rd
>>
File: SaturnIR_CassiniKakitsev_1024.jpg (153KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
SaturnIR_CassiniKakitsev_1024.jpg
153KB, 1024x1024px
What should I do /trv/?

I have one way tickets to Japan in July, was planning to go with someone, but I would now be travelling solo which is still fine.

I have two options, forget the tickets, stay home, get a job and save up money... or go to Japan for roughly a month, deplete another $2000 of my savings and come back and look for a job.

I have 6 months free between studying and saving money should probably be a priority to help me get through 2018... But I already have the tickets there and am obviously eager to see Japan...
>>
>>1254092
>>1254245
Thanks for the feedback. I allotted that transport money in Tokyo because I won't be "activating" the JR pass until I leave Tokyo, so I'll be stuck with fares until then. I'm only going to Robot Restaurant because my friend saw a video of it and wants to go a lot, despite me telling him it's a tourist trap. In exchange for that, he's agreed to diverting over the Alpine Route, so it works in my favor overall, since I want to see that. The food cost feedback is particularly valuable; I just made wild guesses on those. Ultimately, and thankfully, budget isn't tight for this trip, so if I overspend it's not the end of the world, it's just nice to keep my expectations realistic.
>>
>>1254204
How long would you say you need for a trip to Fuji Q from Roppongi, including travel, lines, and riding a decent number of rides? I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to make a trip, since I like roller coasters. Can you buy and admission only ticket and then pay for rides on the roller coasters one by one? Or do you have to get one of the unlimited passes?
>>
>>1254868
wtf how high are you?
>>
>>1255116
Nice.
>>
>>1255142
Fuji five lakes as area needs about 3 days to fully cover. A single day should be enough for just Fuji Q, assuming you take the bus (about 2.5 hours) there, back, and do nothing else in the place, but that's gonna be a hectic day you need to start as early as possible.
>>
>>1255142
I spent most of the day there. Got there around 11 after missing the first train we planned to take. Left Shinjuku station around 9:30~ IIRC. Hyperdia can give you the train time, but highway bus would be quicker and easier. Spent about 5 hours there, including around 1 hour walking around the town and grabbing lunch. Got back to Shinjuku 6ish. Rode Eejanaika twice, Takabisha once, and Fujiyama once. Dodonpa was closed unfortunately. We did admission only and bought tickets per ride, was 1500 admission and 4k for rides IIRC. Each of the big coasters was 1k. I honestly likes Nagashima Spaland more, as it had a lot more coasters to choose from, and Steel Dragon is amazing.
>>
Looking for some advice on clubs in japan. I plan to hit up bigger names like womb and ageha, but is gaspanic worth going to? opinions seem pretty widespread, but seems like it could be fun. Oh and is it friendly to foreigners?
>>
>>1254540
How so?
>>
>>1255130
do it bitch
>>
Flying to Tokyo in about 10 hours. I'm fucking excited!
>>
>>1255218
have fun
>>
>>1255173
The smaller clubs in Roppongi tend to be more fun than the larger ones in Shibuya. But Gaspanic is always bad
>>
>>1255179
Hiding cartoon pornography from easily offended Westerners.
>>
File: Image1.png (1MB, 1197x945px) Image search: [Google]
Image1.png
1MB, 1197x945px
Are there any worthwhile stops along the way between Niigata/Nagaoka and Tokyo? They don't have to be extremely exciting or tourist oriented - we've been to Japan quite a few times, and we often stop at smaller cities for a day or so to break up long train rides as long as they're not entirely tiny and suburban or rural. But we're struggling to think of anywhere this time.
>>
>>1255143
On the contrary, friend. I was sober. Don't do drugs, m'kay?

'Specially in nipponland. It's "cray-cray" doing them there. Yaknauw, customs, laws 'n shiiiiet.

Oxygen, my friend. Nice, easy breaths. Breath meditation with enough focus can both detox and induce some states of being such as the one lsd can, or "higher". Or perhaps just give a plain anandamide release. You know. The substance weed mimics and most likely fucks your reward system.

The plant teached me a lot about the path of pain.

Good day.
>>
>>1255253
you sound very autistic
>>
File: tumblr_mllibeD9V11qzvtljo1_500.gif (362KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mllibeD9V11qzvtljo1_500.gif
362KB, 500x500px
Guys!
At what age can I rent a car in Japan? (I'm 22)
>>
Help
I wasn't able to find my muvluv mech takemikazuchi in akiba is there an anime shop at Osaka or Kyoto? Going there Tom and Thursday, Also any other places to find anime pins outside akiba
>>
>tfw just came back from japan in January
>just booked my flights for december
feels good lads
>>
>>1253896
I'm not sure if there's a better place on 4chan to ask, but katakana confuses me. I heard it's used for western concepts, but that's really vague. Like loanwords? I feel like there's more to it than that though.
>>
>>1255321
>>>/int/djt
>>
File: DSC_0426.jpg (1MB, 2144x1424px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0426.jpg
1MB, 2144x1424px
>>1255279
http://en.kotobukiya.co.jp/product/product-0000001585/
you mean the plamo kits? did you check the Kotobukyiya store in Akiba?
>>
>>1255340
I was hoping to get the violet one but told me its out of stock. I only saw the 666 ones but didnt get it xause i want ro xomplete the trilog
y mechs first
>>
>>1255372
I have no idea what you just said, but if you're heading to Osaka you can try the Koto shop there:
http://en.kotobukiya.co.jp/kotobukiya-nipponbashi-floor-guide/
if it's sold out there too you might have to look in smaller non-official hobby stores to see if they have any stock left (hard to tell since it's a kiy from a few years ago and koto kits are pretty niche)
>>
>>1255378
Thanks,didn't know there's also a branch there
>>
I am not an autist. I don't know anything about you but you sound like a normal person. Have a nice one!
>>
>>1255383
Redicrected to
>>1255256
>>
I wish they would offer some sort of retarded foreigner pass that encompasses all trains and buses so I don't have to worry about paying for multiple tickets.
>>
>>1254698
Sad I can't find that on the remote in my hotel in shinjuku, hope the one in Kyoto is different
>>
>>1255422
You don't like the onigiri with fish? How about other fillings?
>>
>>1255426
I enjoyed the one with salmon, maybe you made reply to the wrong person cause I was talking about tv remote
>>
>>1255321
It's fine to ask here. Not related to travel per se, but still more productive and valid than any of the shitposting that goes on here.

Yes, katakana is used for loanwords and words of foreign origin (that aren't from Chinese). I make the distinction because Japanese is full of loan words(from mostly English)--that are legitimate loan words used correctly. An example of this is "ショック/shokku" as in, "That came as a shock to me".

But Japanese is also has its fair share of "和製英語/Wasei Eigo" or Japanese-made English. So words or concepts that are composed or derived from English words, but not actually things that English speakers say. Probably the most famous example of this is "サラリーマン/salaryman" (although "salaryman" has basically become a reverse loan word into English). Another example is "セックスフレンド/sex friend" which as you could probably guess equates to "friend with benefits/fwb/fuck buddy".

Might as well note that another (thoroughly irritating) component of Japanese is the obsession with cutesy abbreviations for things. So in the example of "セックスフレンド" this word is actually almost always said like "セフレ/sefure". These abbreviations are everywhere. Sometimes they exist in conjunction with their longer components sometimes they only exist as the abbreviation. I think the most baffling katakana abbreviation I've ever encountered is アラフォー/arafo which literally means "around forty" referring to age.

Besides that, katakana is used for sound effects or onomatopoeic words.
>>
File: tumblr_n7h3r0VTGS1solqzko1_500.gif (1MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n7h3r0VTGS1solqzko1_500.gif
1MB, 500x281px
>>1255432
>An example of this is "ショック/shokku" as in, "That came as a shock to me".
>>
I should also add. Katakana is often used for certain Japanese words as well. It is often used to write words with a negative, vulgar or otherwise "rough" feel.
>>
Has anyone spent some time in the Lake Suwa area? Looks comfy but I am not sure if there are a lot of stuff to do around there.
>>
>>1255385
Regional passes more often than not actually include local buses. With a bit of planning, you can use only regional passes for all places you go and enjoy unlimited local travel most of the time. Note the travel inbetween is the one that you'll need to pay, and that's often the most expensive one, but if the point is convenience, get the JRP and travel long distances in shinkansens a lot, and just get every local pass you can. That should reduce the number of tickets by an order of magnitude.

Or, you know, just get a pasmo (suica? More like suckia! Sorry, I have had that joke in me for years now), top it off with 50000 yen, and never worry about it for weeks.
>>
what's so interesting about japan, bros? tbqh senpai i personally think pretty much every other country int east asia is of greater intrigue than japan and idk, i don't feel like i get it.

what draws u weebs to the place? sincere question
>>
>>1255540
it's wapheaven
>>
>>1255540
At least for me, I'll be traveling to Japan because I already had the chance to visit several other east Asian countries. Personally, I loved South Korea and want to visit that country again. I'm hoping I'll have a good time in Japan, but I doubt I'll have as much fun as I did in South Korea.
>>
>want a isolated (quiet) onsen trip that's limited to a few old people and some natives
>all the places I find are filled with talkative foreigners
>all the out of the way places where I know it will be quiet are japanese only
>dont want to go to a public bath

What the FUCK am I supposed to do
>>
>>1255130
Save your money and look for a job, Japan is gonna be filled with tourists anyway unless you're gonna hide out in the country in some airbnb
>>
Guys. I have a question. Ill be in Japan, workawaying for a month and a half. I got two options currently. Should I go to Osaka, which the host seems more engaging, or Tokyo, which looks like a part-time job.
Best part about Tokyo however is it is big, so I can do a lot of stuffs there. Osaka is smaller so a month and a half is probably a little bit too much. What say you?
>>
>>1255540
I like great, successful civilisations I can sincerely admire. Japan is the only such place outside of Europe and the Anglosphere.
>>
File: 1490274795315.jpg (939KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
1490274795315.jpg
939KB, 2048x1365px
I used to live in Japan for 2 years. Now after some years I go back there again for 2 weeks holiday. Mainly to visit friends and food.

As someone who saw all the sightseeing places in Tokyo, what else do you recommend me to do there? Any places that aren't in every tourist guide?
>>
File: 1494976914974.gif (1MB, 190x200px) Image search: [Google]
1494976914974.gif
1MB, 190x200px
>>1255604
>successful civilisations
>Europe
>>
>>1255625
Buy a GR and meander around the city taking up-skirts just like your boy Daido
>>
>>1255629
>Buy a GR
What's that mate
>>
>>1255631
meme camera
>>
>>1255625
Holy shit are you me? I'm literally doing the exact same thing this week.
>>
>>1255598
Isn't it always filled with tourists?

Also, where would you go if you wanted to hide out in the country?
>>
>>1255639
Tourists aren't that much of a problem. Sure, Asakusa, Akihabara, etc. are filled with them but if you stay for a longer time that's no issue. They aren't everywhere. But yes, finding a hotel might be difficult. Already the cheap ones are booked out unless you are fine staying in a hostel.
>>
>>1255649
Even the hostels are expensive as fuck!
>>
>>1255649
Are there any major tourists attractions in Japan that should be avoided at all costs if crowds of tourists make you really angry?

Also, is there an optimum time/route for climbing Mount Fuji to avoid the tourist hordes (I'll be there in July)?

I suppose Chinese tour groups of death aren't much of an issue in Japan, r..rright?
>>
File: 1496138639709.jpg (166KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1496138639709.jpg
166KB, 1024x1024px
So what happens here?
>>
File: 1491773695802.jpg (511KB, 1024x681px) Image search: [Google]
1491773695802.jpg
511KB, 1024x681px
>>1255654
Asakusa always made me angry. Those god damn Chinese tourists screaming, walking slow in all directions, pushing you from behind, ... Other than that I never got really angry because of tourists.

No idea about Mount Fuji though. But from what I know is that Japanese aren't really interested in climbing Fuji, so I guess you always will meet tourist hordes.
>>
Anyone ever been to "気仙沼大島"? My Japanese girlfriend wanna go there with me as she says it's a beautiful place. However, I'm concerned as it's not far from Fukushima. Is radiation still an issue?
>>
>>1255540
>what's so interesting about japan, bros?
>what draws u weebs to the place?

Very cool history. samurai are interesting, imperial Japan is interesting and its 1500 year unbroken royal line is pretty interesting.

Japan is full of pretty fascinating stuff. 800 year old giant Buddhas, centuries old wood temples, samurai arms and armor.

Japanese theatre, Kabuki and Noh, are fascinating.

Japan is also home to a very intriguing native religion that has spawned a lot of cool mythology and legends.

Japan is a clean and modern country full of exciting nightlife, delicious food and very nice scenery as well as cute and pretty girls.

Honestly speaking if you really don't find Japan interesting or intriguing at all you may just be a boring person or a homebody milquetoast or a combination thereof.
>>
I've bought a ticket to Japan for November, how far ahead should I start planning and booking accommodations?
>>
>>1255675
Adding to this guys post.. If I'm going to Japan in July and haven't booked anything apart from flights there.. How fucked am I?
>>
>>1255675
November 2016
>>
>>1255654
mt. fuji routes are going to depend on which ones are open. i took one of the steeper routes with a group that wanted to rush. but their timing overall was horrible (let's leave early! let's start late!) i would have rather taken my time on a less-steep route
>>
File: Giovanni%27s_Island.jpg (98KB, 300x424px) Image search: [Google]
Giovanni%27s_Island.jpg
98KB, 300x424px
>>1255656
This movie gives a pretty good picture of its history.
>>
Can fucking normies please stay away from the Line group?

Reeeee etc
>>
>>1255678
Not sure, but I'm flying to Tokyo tomorrow and booked everything like 2 weeks ago
>>
>>1255666
>Is radiation still an issue?
It was never an issue except inside the containment building, everywhere else has levels comparable with natural locations people lived in for decades. So stop being a pussy.
>>
Hey guys, friend is staying at Tokyo for 5 days and is having analysis paralysis from all the cool asian shit. Any must dos to narrow down the list?
>>
>>1254866

It's going to be brutally hot and humid in August, but the chance of rain is higher in June (and it will still be pretty warm). Depends which you prefer.
>>
>>1255869

Just eat good food and explore. You're never going to be able to hit everything in Tokyo in just 5 days, so don't stress about it and enjoy your time there.
>>
How do you figure out everywhere you want to go and everything you want to do? How do you select the right luggage? How do you use Airbnb without having social media? How do you wash your clothes?
>>
>>1255951
- If you truly have no idea, look up for a plan done by someone else.
-assume a cubic foot for every two day in clothes
-you use an email
- go to a laundry shop, particularly the one with same day delivery.
>>
>>1255678
Start looking now. You're way better off than someone going in August, though.
>>
I'm really annoyed at myself for not having a 0 powered phone by the time I've seen something incredible like some jpop girls I think was dancing beside the riverbed around 9pm
>>
File: fukushima.jpg (398KB, 1260x802px) Image search: [Google]
fukushima.jpg
398KB, 1260x802px
Anyone have experience or know of any good online guides about visiting Fukushima?

I.e. how can you get as close to the reactor as possible? I want to see abandoned buildings, etc...

Plan on hiring a car and driving from Tokyo, maybe getting out and walking for part of it if needed.
>>
>>1255974
Why? Iwas planning to go there during august with my gf. Is there something related to price of things or is the time really?
>>
File: currybox.jpg (63KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
currybox.jpg
63KB, 960x540px
WOO thank god theres a specific thread for Japan here.

A few friends of mine are in Japan for 3 weeks and they went for Japanese Curry for lunch, the friend who took the picture and posted to FB was apparently so "distracted by the spicy curry" that she has no idea what that little wooden box is, and now theres like a half dozen of us wondering and I can't figure out wtf to Google to figure it out.

Plz someone enlighten us Baka Gaijin cuz its gonna be on my mind if i can't find this out.
>>
what's the cheapest place to get gundams? I heard odaiba but I wanted to make sure im not paying the tourist mark up
>>
>>1255999
Looks like a complimentary fingerbox.
>>
File: IMG_20170529_183559.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170529_183559.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
Where can I see cool cars in tokyo
>>
>>1256013
this, desu.
>>
Anything interesting at nara? Going there in a few mins outside the red gate I'm hearing about?
>>
>>1255987
>I want to see abandoned buildings, etc...
Come to Detroit!
>>
>>1256030
Yes, the deer park and Todaiji are must sees/dos.
>>
>>1256037
Guess only those 2 for today then dotonbori and kotobukiya Tom before going home.
How long is the travel from Osaka to the airport?
>>
>>1256030
Nara is overrated. If you plan on going to Hiroshima then just go to Miyajima and there will be deer as well as that big ass Torii you can hang yourself off.
>>
Hi /trv/ so a relative wants to take me to get Hiroshima style okonomiyaki when I visit this summer. Assuming this doesn't give me a heart attack what are some other good foods that you've tried in Japan? I don't wanna miss out and get ramen 20 times
>>
>>1255990
Obon - the first or second-busiest season for traveling - falls in mid-August. Many hotels and transportation sell out quickly.
>>
File: 1428343400267.jpg (306KB, 850x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1428343400267.jpg
306KB, 850x1280px
Is it a bad idea to go to Japan if you only speak English?
>>
>>1256053
The fuck is your problem cunt.
>>
>>1256080
No.
>>
>>1256081
A Nara deer robbed me at gun point last time I was there.
>>
Just asking. On the route I'm planning there are seasonal roads only open certain months Are there generally work-arounds for them? Will I get arrested if I jump the barrier and proceed? It is due to snow probably, being in mountains. But I have hiked mountains in winter and this is no problem for me. Are they generally open to foottraffic anyway?

>>1255594
>are japanese only

How prevalent is this? I'm going to be around some rural places and small towns. Will I encounter this?
>>
Sitting on a block here in asakusa yawning Tokyo is so boring
>>
>>1255675
I'm also going in November. I'll see you there.
>>
>>1254205
どんな仕事してんの?
>>
>>1256080
Yes
>>
>>1256092
>How prevalent is this?
I've lived in a small town in Japan for the better part of a decade and have never seen or experienced that.
>>
>>1254423
Does anyone have advice on which sim-card company is the best? I don't wanna be stuck with lots of data but bad reception.

I'm going to be in Tokyo and Kyoto if that helps.
>>
Is September/October good time to visit Japan? Or are summer months better?
>>
>>1256140
>is mild, comfortable weather a good time to visit or is boiling hot humidity better
I go every year in Sept/Oct and it's pretty much perfect.
>>
>>1256163
Is Kyushu fine in September? I was debating on going October-November or whenever the weather's most comfortable really.
>>
I'm planning on travelling to Japan alone in October/early November for one week. The flights would be ~550€ total which I figure is a pretty good deal. I haven't done much research yet and I don't know any Japanese but I'm pretty set on it, I think it'd be exciting. I'm 20yo/M and it would be my first time travelling solo. I think I could cough up 1500-2000€ for the trip and still have some savings left but I haven't really made any calculations yet. I'm mainly interested in record shops (vinyl), video game related stuff, possibly some concerts/gigs and the usual walking around, taking a ton of photos. Would that amount of money suffice for all that? Of course I'd need to stay at some hotel and eat too. And possibly get a rail pass (although I'm not sure about that yet). I am not really interested in anime stuff, clubbing, hiking/going "offroad" or any sex business. Also how do Japanese people generally react to fat foreigners? I mean, I've heard that Asians in general are pretty up front but are they like actually rude towards fat people? Oh yeah and if I were to not pick up a rail pass and just stay in one major city, would Tokyo be the best choice? Or is it like constantly so crowded that you can't have a good time? Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm just pretty giddy about this whole thing and I'm pretty confident that I'm gonna go for it.
>>
>>1256165
I went to Kyushu last September actually, it was nice. Warm, rained a little bit but generally comfy.
>>
Any advice in finding Japanese prostitutes?
>>
Do I have to message girls on tinder first I'm literally autistic the less I talk the better
>>
>>1256188
ye
>>
What time does dotonbori open? Also does kotobukiya at osaka opens at 11am
>>
>>1256016
I often saw them driving around or infront of apartments. They are not so rare. You might wanna go to Fuji Speedway or Ebisu if you wanna see a lot of them. There are also some car events in Odaiba sometimes.
>>
>>1256016
Everywhere. Try Roppongi. Also seen a lot in Ikebukuro.
>>
>>1256178
All depends on how much you records, games, etc. you want to buy. Check hotels now and see how much money is left for food, transportation and your merch stuff. Japanese won't be rude to you, they simply don't care about you as long as you behave and don't take two seats at once you fat fuck.
If you only go for one week I would rather stay in Tokyo, there is a lot to see and to do. Especially as you aren't much interested in hiking. Maybe one daytrip to Kamakura would be a good idea though. It's a different world. Tokyo is crowded especially in areas like Shibuya, Shinjuku, etc. but you can also find less crowded places.
>>
>>1256080
Maybe
>>
>>1256185
Wander enough and you'll find plenty.
My first night in Tokyo I went to find some dinner outside of nippori station and got sollicited by 4 different ladies within a stretch of 100m for "a massage" while making handjob and blowjob movements.

The next day I wandered below Shinobazuno pond (near Ueno station) from one temple to the other and I received 2 cards from happening bars (sex clubs) with invites and the promise of any lady I'd like.

I was quite shocked how easily accessible these things were in Tokyo.
>>
Going to Tokyo tomorrow and wanted to know how to get to Mount Mitake for some hiking. Is there a train to take? Thanks
>>
>>1253896
Is it sugoi in Japan desu? :3
>>
>>1256178

Depending on what you're buying, records can be kind of pricey; I spent ~$120 USD for 2 Nujabes 12" singles and a 7" single while I was there.
>>
File: lacquer-bowl-paddy-rice-purple.jpg (32KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
lacquer-bowl-paddy-rice-purple.jpg
32KB, 600x600px
Question: Has anyone been exploring any reccomendable workshops or districts?
Hand-made stuff from Japan is perhaps the single best reason for me to visit the islands. My guess is that workshops are scattered all over the place, and it very well could be a merry chase across the country for each of the things you perhaps also could want to see being made. Laquer bowls. Boxes. Tools. Anything like that?
>>
My jr pass runs out on the second where should I go before it does

I'm in Tokyo right now but I've been to all the regular cities everyone goes to on the western side
>>
>>1256325
what about a or some 1-2 day trips around Tokyo? Nikko, Yokohama, Kamakura, Hakone.
>>
File: IMG_3795.jpg (283KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3795.jpg
283KB, 800x1200px
Reminder that Onomichi is best city
>>
>>1256080

Depends
>>
>>1254114
/k/ and /o/

/k/ is pretty cancerous these days so i'm spending less time there. /o/ is okay. this board is excellent
>>
>>1256329
I'm not him but would it be possible to go to so many places in such a short time? I'm planning something similar.
>>
>>1256268
From Tokyo Station take the Chou Line to Ome, stay on the same train which now becomes the Ome Line, and get off at Mitake Station.

From Mitake Station walk 2 minutes to Mitakeeki Bus Stop and take the #10 bus to the Cable Ka Bus Stop, then walk 2 minutes to Takimoto Station and take the cable car up the mountain.
>>
>>1256080
I dont know, can you repeat the question?
>>
My girlfriend and I are going to Japan for 11 days in October (18th-30th). What sort of weather can we reasonably expect? We're going to try and only take a hand luggage sized bag each so we don't really want to be taking a big coat each because if its warm we will have to lug it around everywhere we go (we're traveling and seeing a lot of the country). Can we get away with a light water proof and some jumpers? Traveling from UK so used to fairly cold Octobers.
>>
File: 1495551446315.png (84KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1495551446315.png
84KB, 400x400px
>mfw going to Hokkaido for a month this summer
First extended stay outside of Tokyo, any Hokkaido bros have advice? I'm going to be brushing up on my conversation skills while there.
>>
>>1256443
Where in Japan? Octobers in Hokkaido are radically different from Octobers in Okinawa.
>>
Hey guys, I'm travelling to japan in two weeks, I don't know shit about japanese, only english and spanish, am I going to be fucked?
>>
>>1256262
Those are mostly Chinese, Korean, with an oddly low number of SEA whores.
>>
>>1256268
Hey anon, idk if you went hiking yet, but I'm gonna go to Mitake tomorrow as well. We can do it together if you'd be up for it
>>
>>1256312
>Nujabes
Don't remind me, anon. It still hurts.
>>
>>1256459
You'll be fine, English (Romaji) signs are plentiful.
>>
>>1256390
Not if you want a good trip. And I think he's giving options, not a plan, considering how far away each of those is. Each of those deserves two days on their own, have relatively fast train access, and are easy to explore all the important stuff in the allotted time. Technically, you could do one day trips if if you shinkansen the earliest you can and shinkansen back the latest you can, but you risk being stranded if you are delayed at any point.

So, if you have four days to spare, you could hit all those places, but plan carefully and be ready to abandon your exploring the instant your train is an hour+travel to the station time from coming.
>>
>>1256447
Rent a car. Best single decision you can make in the hokkaido. Yes, everything related will be expensive, but trust me, it's worth it.

Stay in places solely to sleep. There are many nice hotels in hokkaido, but unless travelling for ours nonstop is your thing, stopping after an hour of driving to look at something is always worth it, specially if you are making the loop.

Or where you looking for anything specific?
>>
File: img_routemap.png (270KB, 485x810px) Image search: [Google]
img_routemap.png
270KB, 485x810px
>>1256471
Well my language classes are held in Sapporo so with the exception of weekend outings I will mostly be in that area. I am renting a monthly furnished apartment, its not expensive and is comfortable enough.

Also USA folks don't have a drivers licence agreement in Japan like Work Study faggots do. I can't legally drive without getting a Jap license.

I'm not exactly strapped for cash while there, but I am wondering if its worth maybe grabbing a 14 day JR East-South Hokkaido Rail Pass sometime in the middle of my stay to be able to really get out on a couple of weekends. I can go as far as Tokyo on that thing for like $250. Should allow me to squeeze out two full weekends and a day trip before it ends.

I don't have any specific questions, just don't want to miss out on some hidden gem.
>>
>>1256474

Get an international drivers permit my fellow burger. Since you are here temporarily it will work.
>>
>>1256477
I'd rather not drive. I dont like doing it here and Japanese drivers are crazy.
>>
>>1256471
>There are many nice hotels in hokkaido

Yes, true, but outside of major cities choices are limited and are either quite expensive (onsens) or expensive but shitty (business hotels). There's also a big problem in finding restaurants in general, and restaurants open after 7:00 p.m. or 8:00 p.m. in particular.

>>1256474
>I can't legally drive without getting a Jap license.

As >>1256477 pointed out, yes you can. Get an international driver's license from AAA (it's good for a year) and you can drive to your heart's content.

> I can go as far as Tokyo on that thing

If you're talking about weekend travel, Sapporo-Tokyo is really stretching it. Round-trip travel time on the train is >24 hours. For travel within Hokkaido, really a car is better as you can see all of the prefecture instead of just the cities. (Sapporo and Hakodate are the only interesting cities in Hokkaido.)

I live in Hokkaido and have driven around all of it, so AMA I suppose.
>>
>>1256479
>Japanese drivers are crazy.

At least in Hokkaido they're not. They're really slow. Really, really slow.
>>
>>1256481
Sweet. thanks for the tips. still not into driving though. At least not this time.
>I live in Hokkaido
Nice, I have been wanting to visit for ages but never got around to it. The usually awful summers are pretty mild up there, I would never spend July/August in Japan otherwise. I am mostly interested in being laid-back and studying except for the weekends.
>Sapporo-Tokyo is really stretching it. Round-trip travel time on the train is >24 hours
About 7-8 each way but yeah I know. I only planned on going to Tokyo once if at all and doing it at night so I can sleep during the trip. There are still a lot of other areas closer by I would love to be able to visit.
>>
>>1256486
>About 7-8 each way but yeah I know.

It's longer than that, anon. You have to take a regular train to Hakodate first (around 3 hours) and then transfer to the shinkansen there. Door-to-door it really does take ~12 hours each way. Also, be sure to check schedules as I kind of doubt the shinkansen runs overnight.

Airfares on budget airlines (Peach, AirDo, etc.) are reasonable. If I were in Sapporo for a month and wanted to do a few weekend trips, I'd (1) fly to Tokyo one weekend, (2) fly or train to Hakodate another, (3) do an onsen trip, probably to Noboribetsu, another, and (4) explore around Sapporo (climb Maruyama or Moiwa) another. Or you could go over to Niseko if you're interested in whitewater rafting.

What school are you attending in Sapporo?
>>
>>1256490
>Door-to-door it really does take ~12 hours each way
Nah I have been checking the schedules and its like 8-9 hours on a bad day from Tokyo Station all the way to Sapporo station, including the transfers. It is a headache but I wouldnt mind making it work the one time in the month.
>Airfares on budget airlines
Yeah the Japs have way better prices for themselves on their agencies. I plan on working with my school to see if they can help me look at those prices as well instead of the pass.
>What school are you attending in Sapporo?
ehhh thats a bit personal since you could be some nut who stalks me in Sapporo. Its just a conversation school that isn't all that big. I am not trying to get credits I just wanted to get some immersive language work done so I can finally move to intermediate and advanced Japanese back home with online teachers and Anki.
>onsen trip
I certainly doing this. I may have a same-sex friend with me so I thought about seeing how high ryokan prices are for one night some distance from Sapporo. I have heard the good ryokans don't like to allow solitary guests.
>>
>>1256474
>I am wondering if its worth maybe grabbing a 14 day JR East-South Hokkaido Rail Pass sometime in the middle of my stay to be able to really get out on a couple of weekends.
Ehhh. Gonna be kind of hard if it's just the weekends, considering the travel time, but I guess you could go on the last train (which leaves around 1500 last time I checked), spend the night, trawl Kanto and south hokkaido when possible, and then come back on the last train (which leaves midday).

Again, just weekends from Sapporo into Tokyo is simply not a practical proposal.

>>1256481
That's mostly my point. All my favourite parts are so far away from large cities you need to focus on low end hotels and enjoy the trip rather than where you sleep.
>>
Why the fuck don't Japanese homes have insulation? Like, they're supposed to be really environmentally-conscious, separate their rubbish into like 5+ different categories, yet run the fucking air conditioner in the 182749817249871 one-bedroom apartments across the country 24 hours 7 days a week. And why build homes to only last 10-15 fucking years? WHY Japanese people??
>>
>>1256511
Earthquakes.
>>
>>1256511
Modern Japanese hate anything "old" the word "old" in Japanese almost always has a negative connotation.

Japs think any house that outlives a generation is bound to accumulate evil spirits and grudges on top of not being trendy and modern.

They are like this with most things like vehicles as well, I hear the used car market in Japan is insanely cheap and the cars themselves are maintained in near perfect condition.

I agree its retarded. Such a waste of resources and money to demolish a house after 20 years and rebuilding, rather than going back to the old country family home style that lasts hundreds of years.
>>
>>1256500
>thats a bit personal

No problem, just interested. I know most of the schools in Sapporo but don't plan to stalk you, LOL. Thanks also for the correction on Sapporo-Tokyo times, it's good to know.

>I have heard the good ryokans don't like to allow solitary guests.

Pretty much, as Japanese hotels and ryokans charge by the guest, not by the room. Singles versus doubles cost them 50% of potential revenue, but they'll book singles if they're not busy.

>>1256503
>you need to focus on low end hotels

True, but low-end hotels in Hokkaido can be hard to find and are therefore usually overpriced for what you get (they're around ~10,000yen/night for 2 guests, with breakfast included).

>>1256511
>Why the fuck don't Japanese homes have insulation?

Because Japanese homes 200 years ago didn't have insulation and "traditions" must be maintained. Because insulation costs money and it's important that construction companies are as profitable as possible.
>>why build homes to only last 10-15 fucking years?
Because it's important that construction companies are as profitable as possible. The Japanese government and large Japanese construction companies are pretty much the same thing and the money must be kept flowing in both directions.

Sorry, >>1256512, but earthquakes have nothing to do with it. If anything, in a rational society high earthquake risk would translate into much higher/stricter construction standards.

>>they're supposed to be really environmentally-conscious
They're not really. They just like pretending that they are.
>>
>>1256520
Its not just you friendo, who knows how many people pay attention to these details on 4chan.
>Singles versus doubles cost them 50% of potential revenue
Ah, I just assumed it was because a single traveler seemed suspicious or strange and might rob them.

Any suggestions for public transport accessible ryokans with good onsen and food?
>>
>>1256516
>the used car market in Japan is insanely cheap

Not insanely, but it generally is less expensive to buy used. Driving used is much more expensive, as the older the car the higher the licensing fees, registration fees, etc. The government tries to force people to buy new cars to support the auto industry. But this is expensive for consumers, highway tolls are outrageous, parking costs $, etc. Bottom line the government as usual is being counter-productive and domestic vehicle sales are declining year after year.

>>demolish a house after 20 years

Building standards are usually 50 to 60 years, not 20. It's still a waste, of course. It's also a really bad deal for consumers, as housing values in Japan generally depreciate over time.
>>
>>1256312
dont worry, i wont buy overrated shit
>>
>>1256522
>public transport accessible ryokans with good onsen and food?

Near Sapporo? Your best/easiest bets are Jozankei and Noboribetsu. I'd stay in a larger onsen resort as they're more used to foreigners. The smaller places can be really weird sometimes and in any case are difficult to book/deal with if your Japanese isn't pretty good.
>>
>>1256522
>>1256526

Oh... You could also try Toyako (Lake Toya). It's pretty surreal and there are a good number of onsen hotels to choose from. You can go up (ropeway or climb) some of the nearby volcanos, and there are some good hikes, too -- one goes through an abandoned town destroyed by a volcanic eruption ~20-30 years ago.
>>
>>1255999
It's pepper
>>
>>1256529
The last time I stayed in Japan for more than a few weeks it caused the Touhoku. So I think I will avoid being near active volcanoes.
>>1256526
Thanks for these suggestions.
>>
>>1256534
>I think I will avoid being near active volcanoes.

Better stay away from Japan then, LOL. It's the volcanic action that produces the hot water for onsen. In any case, it's perfectly safe -- the active volcanoes are monitored 24/7 and there's plenty of warning before eruptions.
>>
My wife and I are going to tokyo/Kyoto for 2 weeks in May of 2018, a couple of days after Golden Week ends. Plane and Hotel are paid for and we are bringing around 800,000 yen between the two of us just for spending. Plan on seeing temples and general weeb activities while there. Will this be enough? Also, any recommendations in these places? Akihabara is an obvious, I want to see the retro game stores, anything dragon Quest related such as Artnia, SE Cafe etc and the scenery in general.
>>
File: en-top-block-img03.jpg (44KB, 250x185px) Image search: [Google]
en-top-block-img03.jpg
44KB, 250x185px
>>1256557
>800,000 yen
In walking around money that should be more than enough, but it varies insanely person to person. I have crashed for a month with a Japanese friend for less than 900 in spending money but I was being frugal.

Don't spend sucker money on expensive restaurants, even the cheap hole in the walls or street vendors are insanely good compared to western expectations. In fact all the of the worst food experience I have had in Japan was when I got suckered into paying a lot for nothing of note and awkward service.

If you are paying more than 1500-2000 yen a person on a meal you are overpaying. With the exception of all you can eat yakiniku or seafood.

What you SHOULD spend lots of money on are items you can only get easily in Japan, as much as you can comfortably carry with you. Or hell, even buy it and have it shipped home (some stores do that). Anything "made in Japan" is usually not for sale on the international market and is very high quality.

Other things of note would be authentic futon, fabrics, duvets, woodwork, small furniture, kotatsu, cotton yukata, kitchen supplies, ect.

Kyoto in particular is well know for all its hand-crafted offerings. Simple things like nice kitchen supplies and dishes would sell for a huge premium here but are cheap enough there.
>Akiba
Its somewhat underwhelming. Japanese are horrible trend-jumpers and more than likely you wont find interesting series and characters other than the current flavor of the month.

Do check out Mandarake, they have amazing cheap prices on very rare and vintage toys and media from years gone by. You will see a lot of your old favorites represented there.

Buying a used Japanese console system and a handful of used games in very cheap compared to here. You should learn enough Japanese to manage playing those games and you will have access to importing non-regional games that come out in the future. A Japanese region PS4 second hand will only cost you a couple hundred bucks .
>>
>>1256560
Oh yeah I attached that image to suggest you going to Book Off if you see one. They usually have a large media and book selection and sometimes English translated books.
>>
>>1256560
Thanks for the info!

Yeah we are only going to a few restaurants while there. Mostly it will be street vendors and convenience store food lol. I am a big FF/DQ fan, so I HAVE to check places catering to those, such as the ones i mentioned, maybe the Robot Show too, because why not. Only big money I plan to use there is for a JR pass, portable wifi, etc. I am thinking of going to see Tama II, the conductor cat and possibly the fox village at some point while there.

I will be getting a few game import things. Such as a Super Mario World cart, because why not, a Japanese Sega Saturn because I mostly own import shmups and would like a cool color, to name a few. Was planning on Mandrake as well as Book Off or Trader. Going to check Super Potato while there even though I know it can be expensive. also want to check out Taito Station and the Sega arcade as well as Tokyo Tower. REALLY hoping the Gundam will be up in Odaiba by the time we go. I missed the old one and was sad since i have always wanted to see it. Any Video Game or other weeby things you could all could recommend?
>>
How long should I camp in Konashidaira to fully grasp Kamikochi? I'm going this August and planning on going to Mt.Fuji afterwards.
>>
>>1256562
Sounds like you have a good idea of what to do already. Try not to spread yourself too thin, 2 weeks will fly by.
>Sega arcade
Word of warning most Japanese arcades suck. They are basically glorified slot machine parlors full of old men and cigarette smoke and its really fucking loud. You can be right next to a rhythm game and not hear it for shit with all the noise pollution. Ikebukuro is a better spot for arcades because its aimed at women. I would recommend it for weeb things too if your wife is a fujoshit. Ikebukuro is underrated as shit, they have added a lot of cool shit recently and is more relaxed and attractive nerd center compared to Akiba. All the cafes are primo choices, I particularly recommend Milky Way Cafe as its been around forever and its got a great view of the main crossing and cute desserts for your wife. There is a men's Tora No Ana separate from the women's in Ikebukuro as well. Make your way to Sunshine City while you are there.
>>
>>1256562
>Tokyo Tower
Is a treasure, but the new Skytree is really fucking amazing. It absolutely dwarfs Tokyo Tower and has shopping, food, and an aquarium beneath it.
>>
Is the skytree worth the 30 bucks
>>
>>1256572
If you like heights and epic views, sure. There is a separate fee that takes you to an even higher point as well. Its a good photo op and has glass bottom floors. Just make sure to go when the weather is clear and there is lots of daylight.
>>
>>1256575
How's the view at night?
>>
>>1256576
great if you like the night scene, hard to make anything other than lit buildings. I think you are allowed to stay up there for so many hours till you want to come down, so you can try to get both if you time it correctly.
>>
>>1256569
Thanks!

Yeah I am mostly going to the arcades just to see them first hand. We both want to try a maid cafe, any recommendations? Maybe a foreigner friendly one?

I will still check out the Tower, but I will go to Skytree as well! are there any tattoo friendly onsen around? I know its a long shot, but I figured I would ask since we both have them.
>>
>>1256579
>maid cafe
never gone to one. always seemed pathetic to me, especially as a tourist.
>tattoo friendly onsen
even if one will allow it, I think its rude impose yourself. Japanese really don't like seeing tattoos. The places that do accept them are shady crime spots.

Odaiba Tokyo Oedo-Onsen Monogatari is the only decent place I would think experiences enough foreign tourists to be open to tattoos, but I just checked and they ban them as well. You done fucked up I guess. If its in a private or small enough you can hide it with something, not a bandage cause thats gross but I dunno, something. If they see it they will kick you out.
>>
>>1256562

Just as a heads up, Trader definitely has better prices than Super Potato. I spent around $90 for a Sharp Twin Turbo Famicom at Trader while it was closer to $140 at Super Potato. Granted this was in 2013, but I imagine the pricing is still fairly similar.

Definitely check out Super Potato, but check elsewhere before committing to anything there.
>>
>>1256185

Satin Doll, Silky Doll, King’s Club, Pretty Girl, Darling Harbor, Putit Royale. I really recommend Putit. The women are great, reasonably priced, and it has no gaijin tax.
>>
>>1256562

Tokyo tower is so dated.
>>
>>1256579

While you most likely wont find a tat friendly onsen, you could just go to any and request a private area.
>>
File: image.jpg (100KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
100KB, 800x533px
Going to live in Kobe-shi for a year on jet. What can I expect from this city?
>>
Where is the best place to visit in Kyoto at night?
>>
>>1256463
I will be in Kyoto until the 4th unfortunately. Thanks for the offer, we can go later if youd like but otherwise have fun and let me know how it goes
>>
>>1256572
I would rather go to the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building and enjoy the less crowded and free observatory.
>>
Anyone in Tokyo want to meet up this weekend
>>
In a week I will took 2 weeks of vacation away from work and i want to travel to Tokyo, money is not a problem but I'm afraid to travel alone, I'm afraid to talk to some one and don't understand me, like in a restaurant ordering something. Some advice will be helpful.
>>
I'm planning on moving to Japan in 2 or 3 years and I want to make sure I'm 100% ready when the time comes, so how much money should I have saved up? I'll be flying out from either Arizona or California. Also I should have a job pretty soon after I get there, if not immediately (I'll be teaching English. I have a shit load of teaching experience so this should be easy)
>>
>>1256569
>Word of warning most Japanese arcades suck. They are basically glorified slot machine parlors full of old men and cigarette smoke and its really fucking loud. You can be right next to a rhythm game and not hear it for shit with all the noise pollution.

Which arcades were you going to, because I never had an issue hearing the game. I spent hours playing KanColle in both SEGA and Taito arcades.
>>
I'm scared of eating alone in Japan but I'm really sick of microwaved convenience store food if someone goes with me I'll pay for your meal
>>
>>1256666
If you are going to Tokyo between June 12 and June 18 I'm in
>>
>>1256642
>ordering something
Learn the characters for basic ingredients like kinds of fish and meat
Then point to the menu and say "kore onegaishimasu"
>>
>>1256603
Osaka
>>
>>1256603
Pontocho Alley for food/bars, Fushimi Inari for a quiet walk alone.
>>
>>1255685
Is November really such a bad time to go?

Any tips on where to book accommodations?
Speaking of which is it possible to drink sake in an onsen? I've read that it's restricted in most places and even in places that do, foreigners are usually not allowed to.
>>
File: 1457315871054.png (94KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1457315871054.png
94KB, 500x500px
>>1256666
>6666
Nice try, Satan-chan.
>>
Can you just buy a pasmo/suica at any mayor station?
>>
Anyone want to hang around akihabara this sunday?
>>
I'm going with a group of friends, do we need the JR Pass is we are staying in Tokyo the entire time?
>>
>>1256825
>do we need the JR Pass is we are staying in Tokyo the entire time
Absolutely not. Public transport in town is much cheaper than the cost of the pass. Make sure to buy a suica/passmo though, you can get the deposit back by giving it to an attendant and it will automatically calculate your fees and roundtrip discounts if you keep it topped up. Paper tickets hold up the line and tend to get lost.

The pass is only worth if you are staying 7-14 days in Japan and plan on long distance travel on bullet trains and the like.
>>
>>1256837
Oh also the pass will really piss you off when using it frequently, because you have to manually show it to the attendant to be waved through, who is also helping everyone else so you might end up waiting in line with senile old people while everyone else swipes through.
>>
>going to japan in a month
>don't think I have learnt enough japanese

Hope I can get by with basic phrases and some english
>>
>>1256525

Ha, thanks for the laugh. Make sure to check out Tower Records while you're over there, I snagged a bunch of new vinyl from various indie Japanese artists for like $10 total in the clearance section.

Happy crate digging!
>>
File: Nobuyoshi-Araki-540x376.jpg (25KB, 540x376px) Image search: [Google]
Nobuyoshi-Araki-540x376.jpg
25KB, 540x376px
Hey guys, I will be travelling to Japan (second time for me) with my family this July. Can I get some feedback on my itinerary?

Day 1: Arrive at Narita in the afternoon and transfer to our Airbnb near Shibuya Sta, relax/explore, dinner

Day 2: Tokyo Dynamic Tour (booked), did this last time I was in Japan and found it to be good for first time travelers to Tokyo and to get your bearings
Robot Restaurant (booked) in the evening, I know this is the most basic tourist thing to do but I went there last time and enjoyed it and am I only going again because my family wants to see it, we will not be having dinner there

Day 3: I'm going to climb Fuji (mountain hut booked) from the 5th Station, the rest of my family are going to take it easy and visit a museum or something

Day 4: I'll descend Fuji and we're going to meet at the Ramen Museum in Yokohama for some dinner

Day 5: Going to try to get up early for the Tsukiji Fish Market auctions, but just a walk around the outer market will suffice if we don't make it in for the auctions
After breaky, we'll head to the Ghibli Museum (booked) for a couple of hours
After that we'll head to the Edo-Tokyo Open Air Museum
If time permits, I'd like to go to the TOP Museum that afternoon

Day 6: Checking out of Airbnb and heading to Osaka. We're thinking of getting off at Kyoto and going to the Monkey Park and one other thing like hike Fushimi-Inari, or visiting a temple. I spent a few days in Kyoto last time I was in the country and was all templed-out by the end of it so we've decided to just do this single day trip to Kyoto
Commute to Osaka and check-in to our Airbnb near Dotombori

Day 7: Hiroshima day trip (I'd prefer to do this the following day but this will be our last day our Japan Rail Passes will be valid unless we choose to activate it a day after we arrive): morning to early afternoon at Miyajima, then back into the city to see the Atomic Dome Building and to spend a couple of hours at the Peace Museum. Return to Osaka
>>
>>1256898
cont.

Day 8: Relax day: visit Osaka Castle and walk around the park
Spend the evening in Dotombori and take a river cruise

Day 9: We depart KIX for home country
>>
Would it be better to stay in Kyoto or Osaka if you are planning to explore the kinki region?
>>
>>1256840
Did that happen to you? I have used Japan passes in every single trip I have been and generally they just look up and tell you to keep going. But yeah, you are right, >>1256825 don't buy the pass if you are staying just in Tokyo. Hell, there's really no good pass if you are just in Tokyo if I'm honest, but anyone can provide their grain of sand on the matter if they wish.
>>
>>1256666
Satan what are you even scared of? Most restaurants have that machine infront of their store where you pay and get your ticket (just take top left, which is the stanard dish). Hand it over to the cook and wait until he brings it to you. Say thanks and leave after eating. Can't be any easier.
>>
>>1256788
No, it's a great time to go. Just make sure you find a hotel soon. Now you can still get cheaper ones. You can book them anywhere, no idea. Booking.com maybe? You can compare prices with other services or after you found a good one try to book directly at the hotel's website.

I don't think it's possible to drink anything in a public onsen. Also maybe not a good idea to drink alcohol in combination with a very hot bath. Would rather drink delicious coffeemilk after you leave (they often have a fridge with coffeemilk in there)
>>
File: 1487723836651.png (1MB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1487723836651.png
1MB, 720x960px
Hey guys, have any of you lived in Nagoya? I'll be moving there for at least 2 years this October. I've looked up a bunch of info online but the majority of what I see is that it is boring or just a high end city. I'll be studying the language at a school/working part time while I am there so I won't have much time for going to clubs or whatever, I don't have any interest in them anyways. I like small quiet bars and going to car meets/shows and anime so I figure Nagoya won't offer much in the way of entertainment concerning that. Also I won't be able to bring much money ahead of time, around 4,000 USD is what I'm expecting. I'm currently having my student visa and school application processed so I'm a little nervous. What do you guys think? Any advice? Also, any suggestions for some car related stuff while I'm there? I'm considering going to Ebisu and seeing if I can't go through their program for renting a car for the track for the duration of my stay. Thanks for any suggestions!
>>
>>1256666
How do I contact you?
>>
>>1256925
Thank you.
>>
File: IMG_5180.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5180.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
>>1256121
IT関係
>>
>>1254037
Osaka Castle
>>
Is it possible to find herb in Japan? Already know about the legal stuff and it's a bad idea blah blah
>>
>>1257513
Yeah man just do it. Go ask for "Yakuza". And they will point you in the right direction. Or ask basically any black man who isn't a tourist and your chances are in favor of him selling. World worst quality. Rarest drug of choice in nipland.

Or just stick up hash in your bum like any stoner would to get his shit when needed.

Enjoy 30 years in prison if the dog is on patrol or enjoy being unable to find a place to smoke in the city. Excitement!
>>
>>1257513
Stay out of Nippon, degenerate.
>>
>>1257513
fuck off to yurop if you want to a be 420fag
>>
>>1256596
Great city, awesome night life, good hiking, close to Osaka and kyoto.
Thread posts: 352
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.