[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm gonna be studying abroad in Venice for a month, and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8

File: knapS1er.jpg (210KB, 1435x889px) Image search: [Google]
knapS1er.jpg
210KB, 1435x889px
I'm gonna be studying abroad in Venice for a month, and I have fridays and weekends free. Any recommendations for cheap, cool places/ cities around Europe to visit for a weekend? I can't do anything too boujee.

I can pretty much only speak english and german btw
>>
I highly reccomend taking a train to Rome and/or Florence, assuming the trip isn't too long (I've done Rome to Florence and back in a day, and Rome to Naples and Rome to Sienna, but not from Venice, I usually drive to Venice).

There's a lot of interesting history, museums, architecture, beautiful city squares with fountains, and other stuff in the big cities like Rome, Florence, Milan, Sienna, etc...

Venice is far North enough that you can easily get to France, Austria, and Germany. I've done that by car, not by train, so not sure what the cost is or how long it would take. Munich is cool and there's museums worth seeing there. For France, Nice is close enough to get to easily, and the people there are friendly, but it's not as easy to visit France without speaking the language as it is in the big cities of Italy.
If you learn some basic words and phrases in French and Italian it should be fine.

Have you been to Italy before? I can give the rundown of how to avoid the scammers and gypsies if you need, and the cultural differences that will save you from some confusion.
>>
>>1253122
it's my first time going actually!

thanks for the tips, about a week of my trip is devoted to florence. i'd definitely appreciate any info you'd like to share.
>>
Go to Lake Bled in Slovenia if you find a nice girl
>>
I'm assuming you're from the USA?
Ok, I'm probably gonna forget something, but here goes...

In the cities and parks, you're gonna see guys roaming around with roses or bracelettes and things like that. Do not take the rose that they try to hand to you. Do not let them tie a brecelette or anything on you, they'll tie it too tight to take off and then demand money. If you're a couple and the man refuses to buy a rose, they'll start insulting you, saying stuff like "what kind of man doesn't buy a rose for his woman". This will happen may times a day. So annoying.
What you have to do is firmly so "No" and just keep saying it until they leave and try someone else.

You may or may not enounter gypsies, they're only an issue if they corner you, like if you're seated, eating an outdoor table in a courtyard restuarant, and they start agressively poking you and demanding money(happened to me once ot twice). Or if a group of their children surround you, they're trying to pickpocket you while distracting you by asking for money or selling things (I've only heard of this hapening, not seen it).
Either give them some coins and tell them to go or try the firm "No".

At restarants, you have to ask for the bill, they won't bring it until you ask, I think it's considered rude to rush you out of there like we do in America.
Water is not free at restaurants, you have to buy bottles of water and they will ask if you want "frizzante" carbonated, or "minerale" still mineral water. They might say "gas o no gas?" "For carbonated or not?"
If you're hungry, you can't go wrong with pizza. In Italy, pizza is always a nice big personal size pizza. It won't be sliced, they give you a knife and fork to do it yourself. You can eat with the fork or hands, both is fine.
If you order something like ravioli, you can't be certain of the portion size; it could be a small bowl of sauce with three ravioli in it. With pizza, you know what you're gonna get and it's always good in Italy.

Cont...
>>
>>1253138
>Either give them some coins
Never do that
>>
>>1253145
I was 17 and scared and they were poking me ._.
>>
>>1253148
Never be afraid to harm a gypsy as long as there is not a group of them and/or they don't have a weapon.
If they become aggressive, you should feel free to do the same in return.

They are universally hated. If you punch a gypsy, everyone witnessing the commotion will assume it was the gypsy's fault and either not care or support you.
>>
>>1253138
thanks, i had heard of the flower scam but not bracelets... good to know!
>>
>>1253150
Don't worry about specific scams. If ANY random stranger on the street offers you something or talks with you, ignore that person.
>>
Continued (and excuse any bad italian spelling, I'm not checking my spelling):

Menus will have courses: antipasti (appetizers), insalate (salads), primi piatti (first course, pasta) secondi piatti (second course, meats and veggetables), and if they have it, pizze (pizzas). You can order just a pizza or just a pasta or something, or you can order any combo of anything from any of the courses, they will probably bring them out in the order I listed them (accept for pizza, that will probably come out during primi or secondi). If you're with other people, and you all order one thing from different courses, they won't bring the food out all at once, they'll bring them out in the course order.

There's certain food quirks in Italy, like it's not ok to put the meat dish and the pasta on the same plate, the flavors shouldn't mix, hence the courses rather than the American way of putting the meal on one plate. I think mixing fish and dairy is a no-no as well.

It's normal to order an espresso at night, but if you order a cappuchino past 11am they're gonna think you're weird because that's only for the morning.

Gelato. You're gonna get gelato. The portions are small because it's very concentrated, unlike aerated american ice cream. You can order it by price, which specifies the size. For example, if the medium size cup is three euros, you can say "Tre euro di nocciola e cafe" for "three euros of hazelnut and coffee".

Many shops, especially small ones, will close in the middle of the day for a few hours. Almost all are closed on holidays, even minor local holidays.
>>
More:

If you want to visit a church, even the touristy ones you pay to get into, there's a dress code.

No shorts, no short skirts, no tank tops or open back shirts. It's hot AF in Italy in the summer, so if you (probably) are dressed like that, you can use a silk or cashmere scarf or something like that to cover your shoulders or as a skirt wrap.

The dress code applies to both men and women, but is mainly applied to women cuz you gotta cover up that sinfull woman body otherwise you'll start a religious revolution or something.

There may be questionable weird dudes at the door looking at your body to see if you can come in or not, especially if you're female. Some places may have wraps that you can buy or rent to come in, but usually you need to bring your own if you're dressed in summer clothes.

A nice thin silk-like material wrap should fold up small enough to easily fit in a small bag or even a pocket. It's good for keeping the sun off your shoulders too during mid-day.
>>
>>1253169
Thanks for all these tips!

I'm doing museums studies and painting courses so i'll be seeing a lot of churches, good to note. I'll keep my religious revolutions covered as well.
>>
In some of the churches and museums, photography is ok without flash, and in others, no photography is allowed.

If and when you visit the Sistine Chapel, your experience of the ceiling will be marred by the annoying guys hired to constantly yell "QUIET. NO TALKING. SHHHHHH! NO PHOTO!" Over and over...

Oh, and often times public bathrooms are not free. There might be someone at the door or inside, often sitting on a chair, with a bowl on a table for you to put money in or something like that.

It's usually a euro or two if I recall correctly. Really annoying if you need to go and don't have any coins on you. So, try to always have some euros with you.

Oh, and make sure to always have some tissues or tp with you, public testrooms often don't have toilet paper. Many (most?) don't have soap either.

You can buy "paper soap" online or in Cost Plus World Market if you have one near you. They are paper thin strips of soap, take one out with dry hands and wet it and use it like a small bar of soap. Maybe tear them in half, half a strip of paper soap is enough for washing hands.
Or carry a small bottle of liquid soap or hand sanitizer.

Some restrooms are fine, some are amazingly bad for a first world country, like filthy with no toilet seat. I even used a squat toilet at a rest stop on the way from one city to another.

And, this is obvious, but bring sunglasses and use plenty of sunscreen, the sun is relentless there in the summer. You probably want a hat too.

It can be pretty humid too in some parts of the country, so it feels even more hot and sweaty.

Again, obvious, but bring comfortable shoes. You're gonna walk a LOT.
>>
Just noticed the picture. Venice is only flooded like that in the winter, in the summer the paths will be clear.

It will be hot and smelly and crowded. The best time to explore Venice is early morning or close to sunset when it's not as hot and crowded.
>>
Are you going to stay in Venice or in the mainland? Because as romantic as it looks like, living in Venice is hell. There are litterally more turists than locals, the prices for normal stuff such as groceries is horribly high, channels are smelly and moving is an hell. The university is on the less frequented side of the Canal Grande, so it will be less of a pain in the ass, but still. Anyway, without any need to go too far, Padova is a really nice city and has a good night life. Not far from there you have Mantova, Verona, and Bologna wich is really cool.
>>
>>1253260
I believe I'm staying in the city, my university rented out the apartment.
Some of those cities seem pretty neat, hopefully I'm able to make a few excursions out of the city besides weekends.

Also, I just looked at my itinerary, and was SHOCKED that we aren't going to the sistine chapel. It's an art program!
>>
Wait wait wait. What's going on here? I've just read some fresh bullshit. You need further clarification from me, OP.

>>1253138
The first two paragraphs are so exaggerated that I thought it was copypasta. Guys with roses are the most innocuous peddlers you can find in Italy. From my experience, usually they sweetly smile at you and ask if you want a rose once or twice, but they definitely do not insist after you said no. There's no way they're gonna insult or harass you. Regarding dudes with bracelettes and other bits and bobs, I agree they're much more annoying and tricky. OP you should always stay away from them. If you're walking on the street do not even let them get close to you.

>>1253138
Anon, I'm not calling you a liar, but I'm pretty sure that happened to you because you looked too much like a tourist. When I was in Thailand I had really hard times with tuk-tuk guys (you know, that little fucking carriage...). They were excruciatingly annoying, but after some time they started to recognise me and my friend ("uh, the guys who always say no") and they stopped to ask money. In general, if you don't look like an obvious tourist with lots of money in pantpockets, they can't be too oppressive.

>Water is not free at restaurants, you have to buy bottles of water
True, but you don't have to leave tips to anyone. Actually, if you leave a tip too manifestly, it can even be considered rude, as if you were giving handouts. You can leave a tip to a waiter, of course, but be sure to look very discreet. (For example, you could refuse to get your change when you're paying and leave it to your waiter -- but, again, in Italy it's not common).

Cont.
>>
File: trattoria.jpg (64KB, 1000x665px) Image search: [Google]
trattoria.jpg
64KB, 1000x665px
>>1253138
>If you order something like ravioli, you can't be certain of the portion size; it could be a small bowl of sauce with three ravioli in it
You will get three ravioli solely and exclusively if you go in shitty touristy places or high class / Michelin star restaurants. Always remember: in Italy the BEST cuisine can be found in the most simple and domestic restaurants. Pay attention: I don't mean ugly or empty places, but, quite the opposite, rustic and traditional restaurants -- something like pic related, for example. You literally need to feel at home immediately after the entry. That's why it's useful to check the furniture before entering. And that's why rural restaurants (usually called osterie and trattorie) are always the best of the best. In such places you will not receive three ravioli, guaranteed.

Another tip: as contradictory as it may seem, do not go in restaurants with the menu in English. Italian AND English menu is okay, but when you find a restaurant with the menu only in Italian... well, that should be your choice. Don't worry if you don't understand, just ask the waiter (or even better, the owner) what do they have and what are the best dishes they make.

>it's not ok to put the meat dish and the pasta on the same plate, the flavors shouldn't mix
>It's normal to order an espresso at night, but if you order a cappuchino past 11am they're gonna think you're weird because that's only for the morning
I definitely confirm these rules.

Cont.
>>
File: WP_20150209_037.jpg (2MB, 3552x2000px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20150209_037.jpg
2MB, 3552x2000px
>>1253169
>No shorts
I always entered churches with shorts during the summer and I've never had problems. Just don't look like a faggot maybe. If you're a girl, skirt should be okay but only if it reaches your knees. Also, you can get in most churches for free: in my honest opinion, that's why you should be, a fortiori, polite and respectful.

>f and when you visit the Sistine Chapel, your experience of the ceiling will be marred by the annoying guys hired to constantly yell "QUIET. NO TALKING. SHHHHHH! NO PHOTO!" Over and over...
I'd like to say... PER FORTUNA! (thankfully!)

>often times public bathrooms are not free
OP, don't look for public bathrooms, they're indeed shit. Just go into a bar, ask for a coffee (standard coffee = espresso, it costs 1 euro or 1,20 at most) and while the barista is making it ask for the bathroom and use it -- it's free. Then drink your coffee, pay and leave. We Italians always do this. Otherwise you can use the bathroom when you are at the restaurant.

>>1253216
>It will be smelly
Venice is smelly only in the most crowded areas, thank to shitty tourists. Channels do smell a little bit, but that's not supposed to bad. It's just characteristic and you'll learn to appreciate it. Ever read "Death in Venice" by Thomas Mann? He talks about that smell and the stagnant air of Venice in such a way you will love it. It feels like the Black Death still hovers over Venice and yet you're safe, immune to it. It's great.

>>1253353
If you want a fine replacement for the Sistine Chapel, go to the Giotto Chapel in Padova, it's astounding.

Other beautiful art cities near Venice are:
- Verona, especially for its Roman arena, but there's much more
- Bologna, especially if you like the Middle Ages and want to try the best food
- Ferrara, for its Renaissance architecture and the Estensi castle
- Mantova, place of birth of Virgil and full of great art
- Vicenza, especially if you like Neoclassicism and Andrea Palladio

t. Italian
>>
>>1253461
Ah thanks, any help at all is always appreciated. I haven't gotten word of where I'll be living yet, I hope that it's relatively far from tourist activities.

>go to the Giotto Chapel in Padova, it's astounding.
good to know, I'll be in Padova for a day, hopefully I can make time for that.
>>
File: burano-venezia.jpg (1MB, 2240x1495px) Image search: [Google]
burano-venezia.jpg
1MB, 2240x1495px
>>1253467
Tourists are dumb. They're only able to follow the road leading from the station to piazza San Marco. Since you have a lot of time to explore Venice, take alternative paths and try to get lost. Venice may seem small, but there are hundreds between churches and museums. Some corners will seriously surprise you for the peace and the quiet you'll find.

Are you going to attend a school where the lessons are in English?
>>
>>1253486
yeah, it's a program though my american university, so the teachers are american (though at least one speaks/is partially italian).

It's actually a pretty cool program, instead of traditional classes we meet to sketch and paint every day.
>>
>>1253496
Very nice! Just like the famous painters who came in Italy from the 17th to the 19th century
>>
>>1253422
Wow anon, thanks so much for your input about my advice. What would I know? I've only spent years living and traveling around Italy with native Italians
>>
File: 1484612310103.png (268KB, 358x485px) Image search: [Google]
1484612310103.png
268KB, 358x485px
>living in Venice for a month
>In the middle of Summer

Enjoy death
>>
>>1253461
Based on your questionable use of homosexual slurrs, I'm assuming you're a (probably insecure with your own sexuality) guy.

Like I said before, the rules are mainly applied to women. I've been in plenty of places where guys can walk right in with shorts and tank tops, but the ladies are told to cover up their legs and/or sholders or leave. Their womanly bodies are just too darn distracting I guess, gotta focus on Jesus.
>>
>>1253590
I'm sorry anon, I didn't mean to sound arrogant. I can see your long list ot tips is objective and sincere, and OP has certainly appreciated it. The only thing that prompted me to intervene is the fist part about peddlers, which is exaggerated in my opinion. For the rest, I just provided a series of specifications :)
>>
>>1253593
>Based on your questionable use of homosexual slurrs, I'm assuming you're a (probably insecure with your own sexuality) guy.
I'm gay.
>>
>>1253599
I think it's an ugly word to use even if you're trying to "take it back" or whatever, but this is 4chan so I guess I should just expect to see it everywhere

Anyway, OP, remember to learn the names of food things before you go. Both how to read and say them. Especially if you have allergies or you really hate beans or something.

One time in Palermo, when some of my American friends were traveling with me, one ordered a "pepperoni pizza" and was super confused when a pizza topped with lots of big bell peppers arrived.

Another time, at a restaurant called "The Crazy Pizza" or something like that near Cortina in the Dolomites, a friend who hates beans ordered an interesting pizza that had beans and walnuts without realizing that fagolli was "beans".

I hate arugela aka "garden rocket" but it's often put on lots of dishes in Italy. Tastes like poison to me, but it's easy to just pick it off the dish.
It's not as easy in Italy order things custom like you can do in the US, they're not as willing there to leave things out or add things in. Unless you have allergies, it's not worth it to try to ask for any changes to the menu.
>>
File: piadina-romagnola.jpg (103KB, 1272x764px) Image search: [Google]
piadina-romagnola.jpg
103KB, 1272x764px
>>1253614
>I think it's an ugly word
Which word?

>I hate arugela
Have you ever tried pic related? Piadina with squacquerone (a type of soft cheese) and rucola. Typical meal in Romagna, especially alongside the coast, is one of the most delicious thing in the world.
>>
>>1253617
ahhh i want it :0
any italian food that's not made with red sauce looks so, so good
>>
File: tortelli-ricotta-spinaci.jpg (345KB, 1300x1320px) Image search: [Google]
tortelli-ricotta-spinaci.jpg
345KB, 1300x1320px
>>1253629
>not made with red sauce
There's so much, anon!
>>
File: IMG_0410.jpg (76KB, 550x412px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0410.jpg
76KB, 550x412px
>>1253617
Looks good, replace the arugula with spinach, basil, or literally any other green and I'm game.

You know how to a certain % of people, cilantro tastes like soap? Arugula is my cilantro, it tastes irredeemably bitter to me.

My favorite thing to order is pizza caprichosa. Each region of Italy does it a little bit different, but it's usually prosciutto, mushrooms, artichoke, olives (watch out for pits, they leave them in) and an egg (either hardboiled or cracked open to be cooked on the pizza as it bakes). A good hearty pizza that you can find pretty much everywhere.
>>
>>1253637
>>1253671
these look amazing, dudes
>>
>>1253118
When will you be there? Are you studying art, generally, or is it for the Bienale. Either way, if you have any interest in art, you'll have terrific time in Venice alone. Normally I would say Venice is charming for a couple days, but during the Festival season you simply cannot stay long enough. 10 days wasn't enough for me in 2015. But I'm coming back this year so I can't complain.

That said, a month and you will definitely want out. Cities close to Venice which I have visited and thoroughly enjoyed are Padua, Verona and Trieste. You could even take a train to Croatia.
>>
>>1253955
I'll be there for the entire month of june! So we'll definitely be checking out the Bienale, but there's a lot of other museums/sights planned.
>>
Top tip

Piss before you get the boat to burano

Visit San zaccaria. It's life changingly lovely. Pay to go down the crypt.
>>
>>1254070
how could i say no to a crypt???
plus i can get there by vaporetto which is always a plus
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.