[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i'm thinking of applying for a work holiday to australia.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 1458719436664.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1458719436664.webm
3MB, 640x360px
i'm thinking of applying for a work holiday to australia. i heard from one of my korean friends that she did it and worked at a coffee shop there.

but how do aussies feel about americans basically stealing jobs? i've never met one before and all the aussies on /int/ scare me with their banter.
>>
>>1252707
One thing I think you should consider is that aussies understand the vagabond travel idea. They like their holidays and long holidays at that. It'll be a bonding point.

But, imagine aussies as like 1970s americans, where there is only recently desegregation kind of mentalities. There is a bit of an insular nature to them, and they aren't too sweet to minorities. I don't think Americans fall into that niche definition but if you aren't british-descent, but some other nationality, it might be that you are discriminated against on sight, but then it'll soften when they find out you're American.
>>
>>1252717
>One thing I think you should consider is that aussies understand the vagabond travel idea.

I'm not a vagabond travel or anything of that sort, I just graduated and I don't have a job. I don't want to stay at my parents, I need to get out and put distance between them and me.
>>
>>1252717

>it'll soften when they find out you're American.

Not really, maybe people will treat you better than Afghans, Indians and Chinese but Americans are often on the bottom of the list in terms of western countries (especially if your southern).

In terms of stealing jobs people dont really care because most people on working holidays end up working on like fruit farms in the middle of nowhere or being scammed and working for $5 an hour for a labour company in a big city.

For obvious reasons, most employers don't want backpackers (cause they are unreliable as fuck), this means any job that an Australian wants (that doesn't have outstanding issues) will get preference over.

To be frank, save up money while your at home and come here for a shorter amount of time instead of spending 5 months working on a fruit farm in central nsw sharing your accommodation with 7 Vietnamese men that don't speak any English.
>>
>>1252774
>(especially if your southern)

as a new yorker, this is infinitely amusing

>>1252774
>most people on working holidays end up working on like fruit farms in the middle of nowhere or being scammed and working for $5 an hour for a labour company in a big city.

so wait, was my korean friend just extremely lucky with her coffee shop job?
>>
Currently WWOOF'ing with a French guy who just came from one year in Aussieland.

Get a job inna desert. No one wants those as they're out in the middle of nowhere, so you can earn bank and probably negotiate free room and board.
>>
>>1252778
>so wait, was my korean friend just extremely lucky with her coffee shop job?

Depends on where it was located, but yes, I'd say she was very lucky.
>>
>>1252707
Dutchfag in Melbourne here. Its really easy to get a job here if you're not a complete retard and know how to pour a cup of coffee or hold a plate. Book a hostel for week or 2, walk around the CBD and enter any bar or restaurant that seems nice to work at. Many people I met in the hostel found a job this way. It'll be cash in hand probably so no taxes. You're likely to get 20-30 hours a week depending on your skills and attitude and get about 20 AUD an hour. Hostel for a week is about 200 so you'll be able to save a bit or breakeven if you want to do fun stuff in the city.

Go for it m8
>>
American currently on a working holiday visa here

I worked in hospitality for about 4 months. It was a mix of people from France, the UK, Philippines, Korea, Japan, and locals. "Stealing jobs" is a silly way of describing it because it's not as if it came down to me or a local. There are plenty of jobs and that topic has never even come up. Just do your thing and fuck anyone else who has something to say about it
>>
Oh and fuck the idea of working at a farm. Americans can't extend their visa an extra year like other countries so working at a farm isn't necessary (unless, of course, you want that type of life). Plus you're from NY (as am I) and people will be more than happy to talk to you about it as long as you aren't a cunt. People seem to love NY here
>>
>>1252819
>>1252820
These are two of the most accurate descriptions of what finding a hospitality job in Australia is like. Corporate places (major hotels, function centres etc etc) may not want you cause backpackers have been known to be flaky and they don't want to pump a whole lot of corporate training just for people to leave. In these couple years tho, I've seen even corporate places get desperate and hire a lot of backpackers anyway. Mom and pop places will be always be hiring cause again, hospitality staff shortage across the board. So the idea of stealing jobs is very much not true. We have one of the lowest unemployment rates in the western world at 5.9%.

Just don't be an autist and ask for a job. Something you can do a week or two out is apply for those corporate places too.

Source: Australian working in hospitality
>>
amferifat here
I'd like to try this as well.
Anyone ever do work in the outback or farms?
>>
>>1252707
I thought working visas were basically off limits completely to Americans. America doesn't offer the program at all and every country I know of doesn't offer it to Americans for that reason.

Have you actually looked into it being possible.
>>
>>1254124
Working holiday visas*
>>
>>1252707
americans cant get work holiday visas.
>>
>>1254126
Yes they can.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.