[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What exactly is wrong with wearing a small pack or money belt

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

What exactly is wrong with wearing a small pack or money belt while traveling? I keep seeing people saying it's stupid to use them.

If I'm out and about, I'm not going to stuff my wallet, phone, camera, and power bank all in my pockets. And I don't want to have to bring a huge bag with me just so I can carry a few things.
>>
>>1252686
They are basically a huge red flag stating "HEY GUYS I AM A TOURIST NOT FROM HERE FEEL FREE TO RIP ME OFF"
>>
>>1252687
But if I stuff my pockets instead, I will still be an obvious target.
>>
>>1252700
I'm not sure what you are doing then or how stupidly tight you are wearing your pants. Honestly never had a hard time carrying the items you listed
>>
>>1252686
Do what you want OP.
I think in the US we call it a "fag bag" and it's usually a continental first generation man who does carry one, or a tourist. Older men carry them about that size for reasons like carrying some meds, or diabetic supplies. There's a fine line between fanny pack, small day pack, or what you show as far as advertising you are not a local, and giving an exact target to someone who might want to pick pocket you. The more suburban you are where locals are using public transport vs their own vehicles, the more likely it'll be necessary and therefore, less obviously making you look not a local.
It would be better to hide a crossbody under a jacket or overshirt, but weather doesn't always allow that. When fashion moved away from cargo and loose pants to the tight-fit hipster look, it got harder to pack all your stuff away. If you do intend to travel and need hidden stuff, a money belt or simply sewing a pocket inside a waistband (or paying your dry cleaner to do a zipper or hidden pocket) is a good alternative. A scottEvest type solution works in some situations.

In other words, every city, every climate and the weather matters to what you decide is best for you. I'm female, so a small purse isn't unheard of, but I also might hide valuables in a second place as well. I've stuffed things down boots and socks in the past too, but I also have a bra wallet.
>>
Alright /trv/, what do you recommend to keep things like passport and money on my person while in the sweltering heat?
People recommend a coat with inner pockets but I doubt that would help me in the Rainy season of like Japan in the summer.
>>
>>1252757
Are pant pockets an unheard concept to you?
>>
>>1252759
I am a little unsure of carrying around my passport in my pocket of all places.
>>
>>1252760
just strap it to ur back or some shit
>>
>>1252686
It's perfectly fine to use those things. A good money belt would be more or less invisible as long as there is not a lot of stuff in it.
I prefer to use a neck wallet, which can become bulky, but I have always felt peace of mind while using it.

You should carry a wallet with maybe $20 - 30 (or the equivalent) in small bills and perhaps a credit card, and then keep everything else in the money belt or neck wallet.

As for a bag, I have always used a small, regular ~ 15 liter backpack, but I'm thinking about getting something like this for my next trip:
https://store.ricksteves.com/shop/p/ipad-bag
>>
>>1252760
I'll never understand this. Do you constantly lose your wallet? Your keys? Your cell phone? Why would you immediately lose your passport if you kept it in your pockets.
>>
>>1252813
Yeah I have no idea what that anon is talking about. If you can't keep things in your pockets then you should probably reconsider traveling.
>>
>>1252813
>Go on a crowded bus in Rome
>Have important stuff in my pockets
No thanks
>>
>>1252822
>implying a bag would be any safer

Nabbing a bag is much more likely to happen then being stupid enough to get pickpocketed
>>
>>1252823
>Thinking I implied that
I would only ever put a passport in a money belt or neck wallet.

Moreover, the guy who started this thread has large items such as a camera, power bank which would never fit in pockets anyways.
>>
>>1252822
this is a real concern
we got fucked hard on the subway in Rome even with bags and shit. it was crowded as fuck and some gypsies must've managed to steal a lot of our docs & cash
>>
>>1252833
Most people think thieves have just a few very obvious scams and they will avoid everything, but it takes one crowded bus or train, or even a station platform, for a pickpocketer to strike.
Nobody can be 100% aware 100% of the time.
>>
>>1252839
>>1252833
Proof, if anyone needs it:
https://youtu.be/htmUaPAIa4I?t=365

Some might say he looks touristy, but the issue is that thieves come in all shapes and sizes. Don't trust anybody and don't leave yourself vulnerable.
>>
>>1252686
Unrelated kinda but I bought one of those RFI blocking money belts and have been in Switzerland since 20MAY and I have yet to use it once. I bought one of those front pocket wallets and just pay attention. Hell, I've been pretty shitfaced while I've been here so far and no issues.
>>
>>1252872
Well, Switzerland is a good country. Try that in Egypt or Morocco.
>>
Of course a hidden money belt is a good idea. People who claim that it's safe having your possessions in your pockets everywhere are delusional. What if they're caught in some scam with 8 people dancing around them?
>>
>>1252926
Agreed, I also just can't understand people who wear fanny packs or visible money belts. A hidden money belt does its job, a visible pack just screams "steal from me".
>>
>>1252686
>What exactly is wrong with wearing a small pack
It makes you a target for scammers and people looking to take advantage of you being a tourist like others have said.

>money belt while traveling?
Moneybelt or something not visible is better, worst case is to just use a backpack and do a small lock on the zipper to seal it.

>I keep seeing people saying it's stupid to use them.
As stated about it makes you stick out to anyone looking to swindle you.

> I'm not going to stuff my wallet, phone, camera, and power bank all in my pockets.
These all could easily fit in your pocket, especially with credit card sized batter power banks. The camera you could just get a neck strap for.
>>
Do those backpacks with the hard to open zippers and slash proof fabric work? They seems like it would be enough to discourage a normal thief.
>>
I have a thin moneybelt that I keep under my shirt with passport and emergency money. No one can tell I am wearing it, pretty handy.
>>
>>1252872
That's one of the safest countries in the world mate.
>>
>>1252686
When I'm in a crowded spot, I put my hands in my pockets and hold on to my valuables. You can't do that with a belt or bag, thieves use razors to cut it open or cut the strap at the last possible minute and dart with the loot.

Never keep anything of value in back pockets, front pockets only and when it doubt, hands in pockets.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.