[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /trv/, so I'm going to be in Los Angeles for part of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 7342.jpg (155KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
7342.jpg
155KB, 800x800px
Hey /trv/, so I'm going to be in Los Angeles for part of a day in July. I figure I'll have about 8-10 hours to kill and I've never been to LA or even California in general, so how do I make the most out of my very limited time in the city? I'm assuming like every city some of the cliché touristy locations are actually worth seeing and some others probably aren't worth the time since I don't have much, what are the must see spots in your opinion?

I'll also have a rental car at my disposal but I've heard the traffic in LA is no joke. Would I be better served finding a place to park the car and taking public transport/Uber around instead?
>>
Uber is fucking expensive in LA.

I say you should visit the area by Union Station. You have easy access to Chinatown and Olvera Street.
From here, the rest of the downtown area is relatively close as well. Some examples of downtown visits at the top of my head: Little Tokyo, The Art District, The Last Bookstore, Grand Central Market, etc. Do some research for the downtown area.

If youre into art museums, you could easily spend a lot of time at LACMA. Theres also The Broad and The Getty to check out.

Otherwise, you could visit Hollywood. I'm personally not into Hollywood. But if you're into it, check out the walk of fame and shit around the chinese theatre.
Griffith Park is also worth a visit. Particularly the Observatory which is especially worth the visit at night.

I hope this helped
>>
>>1252473
Awesome, thanks for the suggestions! I'll definitely look into those ideas.

Just how expensive is a typical Uber ride in LA though? I know the rates change during the day and what not, but I've used Uber a ton in DC and Boston and almost never pay more than like $10/ride anywhere. I guess I didn't realize the rates where that different in some cities.
>>
>>1252550
Traffic is annoying, but public transportation is utter trash and will take 3x longer than car. If you're really curious about Uber, just get a location spoofing app or look up an Uber fare calculator. There's no way to tell you a general ballpark because LA is very spread out.
Uber > car >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> public transport > walking

I have no idea what you like but some ideas:
>The Getty
Beautiful museum with traditional European art, also a great view of LA and scenery in general. I definitely recommend it over LACMA, with respect to previous anon. It's free, but you have to pay for parking if driving there
>Griffith Observatory
High up in the hills with yes, a beautiful view of LA at night. Also free! Parking is a bit of a pain but it'd also be free.

I dunno Anon, those are the best ways to see LA. But what do you like to do? That's important info.
>>
>>1252584
Thanks Annon. Griffith observatory definitely seems like it would be worth the time. I'd also like to find a good area (hopefully with decent parking) that I could check out the beach for maybe an hour or so.

Unfortunately my favorite activity in a new city usually is just walking haha. I'll always hit the tourist hotspots but try to see as much as I can in between those places on foot, however only having 1 day and LA being as massive as it is, that's not practical this time around. But I suppose if I were to drop the car somewhere and head out on foot for jusy a couple hours, where would I get the most out of my time? I don't necessarily need to be stopping at all sorts of shops or museums or anything (though Im always up for good sightseeing), just looking for a cool place to walk and kind of get the vibe of the city for a while.
>>
DO not do the Hollywood tourist walk, waste of time and super disappointing from a tourist perspective.

I agree with the rest of the anons here. Head to the observatory, The Getty and if you have time take your rental down the PCH to some of our beaches like Venice, Santa Monica or Malibu

As for places to just walk, it would be tricky since our walkable areas are in pockets by Downtown would probably be good if you start at the arts district heading to Little tokyo, to Grand park and down broadway or spring towards LA live. You'll see a bunch of stuff taking this route. The streets vary in dirtiness and littered with homeless but they won't bother you.
>>
>>1252871
Thanks for the suggestions Annon, one of the beaches will definitely be a stop while I'm there. Any tips on which one I'm likely to find easy parking and access to around early afternoon on a Friday?
>>
>>1252613
There are a few places that you can just walk around.
>Griffith as mentioned before
>Santa Monica Pier
>LA Live, where the Staples Center is
>Hollywood, but ONLY if you are really into movies and TV as a complete foreigner
>Olvera Street
>The Getty
>UCLA campus
>Little Tokyo

However, none of these would be enough to spend the whole day in with the exception of the Getty and Griffith Observatory.
>>
>>1253038
Adding The Grove too
>>
I literally just got back from a trip out there. Griffith is awesome but, yeah, parking is fucked there. I got lucky and snagged a space. I rented a car and just drove around. Traffic is awful but manageable. LA was an interesting place. I'm from the South and every one was super nice face to face. Once behind the wheel though they become demons who only want your blood under their wheels....
>>
Olvera is one the oldest places in LA, buildings dating back to the 1850s such as the Pio Pico Hotel and Los Angeles' first masonic lodge. City Hall is nearby, you can go inside and they'll give you a pass to go up to the look out, around 30 floors. Dont remember if they charge for admission. Same architect designed Griffith Observatory and many other buildings in the first half of the 20th century. Million Dollar theater and the Bradbury building (where they filmed part of Blade Runner) are also within walking distance from Olvera street.
Venice is a good place to walk around, grab a bite or beer, see some L.A. freaks. South of the airport has some nice beaches, too. Manhattan, Hermosa, Redondo, PV. Not much to do in these places as for sights except the beach, but does have a lot of good restaurants, bars, shopping and generally a nice old timey atmosphere away from bustling downtown. Also, I think out of the cities listed above, Redondo is the only one with a pier to actually walk around on and get a drink, shop, eat. The rest of the piers (besides Santa Monica) are just a straight line out maybe 2000 ft.
If you're interested in local beers, El Segundo has a brewery, Torrance has around 5 - 7, Lagunitas Brewery might be a mission for you but is close to a Stone tasting room in Pasadena. There is also Golden Road and Angel city, but I haven't been.
Heres the address for the closest In-N-Out to the airport, just in case.
North of airport
9149 S Sepulveda Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90045
South of airport
600 N Sepulveda Blvd, El Segundo, CA 90245
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.