[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have you ever gotten sick during a vacation in a foreign country?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_6665.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6665.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
Have you ever gotten sick during a vacation in a foreign country? How did you handle it and what was your experience like?

I'm currently in Budapest, sick as a dog after arriving from Berlin, with two more stops left onto vacation. Pic related, these are everywhere in Budapest right now
>>
think it was heat stroke, ended up vomitting and dry heaving for about 12 hours

was lucky it happened while I was still at the hotel, and was traveling with someone who brought me stuff to drink
>>
>>1250080
There are some common sickness you can get while travelling, that you can recover up with some first aid kit
- Fever
- Vomiting
- Indigestion
- Diarrhea
- Constipation
- Flu
- Cold
- Muscular pain
- Low gravity wound
- Blisters
If your case is insolation you should hydrate yourself and apply some Nivea cream for your skin
>>
>>1250080
I caught parasites in Afghanistan. I wasn't as sick as my friend so i looked after him making sure he kept drinking electrolyte drinks and getting stuff from the store a couple of doors down, couldn't hold down food due to stomach cramps, didn't shit solid for another week and a bit but crazy diarrhea subsided in two to three days. To make things worse police had turned up at my parents place because they had a tip off about us in Afghanistan and thought we might have gone to fight so I had to deal with straightening that out as well. Took a two week course of antibiotics when i got home to kill the little bastards
>>
wtf is with iphones posting sideways
>>
>>1250252
wait why did the police show up to your parents house? Please elaborate im very interested. Maybe greentext it?
>>
>>1250080
don't be afraid of going to a doctor. A single visit won't be expensive. I did it a few times in different countries.

In Europe it may be necessary to get any antibiotics, because you can't buy them without prescription.

Otherwise, you can fix lots of stuff yourself if you have meds. Stomach problems with basic antibiotics.
>>
>>1250309
They just said they had a tip off that my friend and i had gone to fight in Afghanistan, at first I thought one of my friends might have called the cops back home when drunk as an ill-advised joke, turns out none did. The only other place they could have got the tip from was when we crossed the land border between Iran and Afghanistan, we where coming to the last boomgate to get into the country proper then the guy at the gate started yelling about the taliban we where then taken back and had to re-do some entry stuff and got asked a few questions plus a couple of extra English speaking guys appeared who did the final check of passport and took prints so it could have been u.s intelligence
>>
I accidentally drank Chinese tap water whilst drunk. Awful stomach cramps, couldn't get out of bed for the first day, gradually improved over the following week, aided by consuming large quantities of baijiu which I'm pretty sure killed off the Typhoid or whatever it was. Dealt with it mostly by being laughed at by my best friend who'd done the same when he moved there six months earlier. It's something of a rite of passage.
>>
When I was in Nepal I got travellers diahhrea. Went to a pharmacy and got antibiotics, without a prescription. Cost me 0,7 usd
>>
OP, I have taken out travelers insurance policies when I know I don't want to foot a bill or will be doing dangerous sports or similar high risk activities. I've also taken out a policy if I was traveling and already felt ill, like one time I was worried about a hot gall bladder. I always get insurance for a cruise experience. They'll airlift you at your expense, dump you with a bill, and at some horrible island hospital or else high last minute high season airfare. Always get it for a cruise.

>>1250311
>don't be afraid of going to a doctor. A single visit won't be expensive. I did it a few times in different countries.
This. I do travel with a lot of blister packs of meds if I know I'll be in Europe and can't pick up cold medicine without the doctor visit. If you don't know what to do and money isn't a big concern, just not dying, then ask your hotel for their doctor. Chances are they have a few on-call doctor cards, or will point you to a clinic that sees travelers nearby. The issue is that if you are somewhere with socialized medicine, or a big language barrier, you might prefer the more concierge-ish doctor experience.

I've had plans interrupted with diarrhea, where you simply can't leave your hotel room for 2 days, and need to add some nights, and need to stay put, in the quality air conditioning, drinking the bottled water and bland room service til the worst is passed. I pack imodium so I can always get through a flight/train, but one time I was on some augmentin and had diarrhea that is typical on Day 4 or so, when all your gut flora is killed, and I was giving kind notice by fellow passengers who let me skip the bathroom line to the front of the line about 5 times...bless them. I was finally done and I skipped the meds the rest of the trip. I've had horrible rash on my legs from hiking around austria...but I had my own benadryl and hydrocortisone cream. I've seen some nice doctors, and sometimes there is even no charge.
>>
>>1250080
That looks a bit Buda-ish? 2nd district?

Whatever.

Just keep hydrated. Note that we have really good mineral water in Hungary, get someone to buy you some Balfi or some other stronger stuff that has enough salts to keep you going. Chamomile tea with a little bit of salt also does wonders to calm your system down.

I mean I'm sure you totally recovered by now, but grab any random stranger from the streets to help you translate if you have to go to the doctor's in Hungary. The chance of a random pedestrian in downtown Budapest speaking okay English is MUCH higher than (the extremely underpaid/overworked) doctors speaking English....
>>
Had dysentery on a 19 hour bus ride from Maputo to Johannesburg. By far the worst transit experience I've ever had, and that's after 2 years of consistent traveling in Moz, where the word "infrastructure" hasn't hit popular lexicon yet.
>>
I'm in Ecuador now and have a minor case of what seems to be food poisoning. Occasional stomach cramps, some diaharrea - nothing unmanageable. I've taken some medication and am just going to wait it out. Hasn't stopped me from doing much, although I'm probably not going to take any long bus rides or do anything physically intense until it passes.

I've been India seven times and always plan on getting sick at least once when I'm there. The first time was the worst and probably the sickest I've been as an adult. I was bedridden for three or four days, throwing up around the clock, and shifting myself into oblivion. Luckily, I was dating a girl from Delhi at the time, so I got to stay with her family an a spare room until I got better.

If it seems like food poisoning, I just take some medicine, pop an Imodium pill, and wait it out.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.