[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I'm in the USMC and about to go in leave for the next

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0198.jpg (718KB, 2200x1467px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0198.jpg
718KB, 2200x1467px
So I'm in the USMC and about to go in leave for the next month. I'm wondering how people in Europe treat military members. Im not one to bring it up unless someone asks about what I do or should just keep my service to my self? I've been in Okinawa for a while and they seem to not like US military members at all
>>
>>1249030
Nobody will give a shit
>>
>>1249030
You're a tourist. No one cares what you do for a living back home. Foreigners aren't interested in the branches of the US military, either. If someone asks what you do, it will only because they're being polite or trying to make conversation.
>>
Don't mention you're in the military and don't have some gay jarhead hair cut
>>
Don't assume you can just take off out of the US with only your military ID. When I was in this was a common misconception. Because when you have orders to either TAD or deploy to anywhere outside the US, you can just board with an ID alone. But, if you don't have orders you WILL need a passport. They can take upwards of six weeks to receive.
>>
>>1249572
Express passports only take 2 weeks
>>
>>1249030
I agree with my previous anon posters. Nobody will care unless you shout `M-U-R-R-I-C-A `M-U-R-R-I-C-A in the middle of the streets.
>>
Not exactly your situation, but I did my "SEA backpacker" meme trip right after getting out (like flew to Bangkok 4 days after ETSing the Army) and traveled with euro-trash (mostly brits) while I was on my trip and I was initially kind of nervous about "revealing" what I had been doing the last 4 years lol

Honestly no one gave me shit about it. Some were indifferent, but a decent amount were actually interested/thought it was cool. Having actual life experience outside of "uni" really only helps you in social settings (like hostels/etc) by making you different/interesting than the million gap year kids who roll through every day. The exception is IDF autists who are hated by locals globally, but they don't really act "military" in the same way you probably do (even if only subconsciously) so they aren't a good representation of vets abroad.

Europeans don't like US politics generally, but they won't (unless they are fucks, in which case don't hang with them anyway) target you as a individual for them.
>>
>>1249030
I'm a Marine. In Norway (Trondheim, a college town), in Spain (Zaragoza, and Cadíz), and Sicily (Catanía) it was an advantage, but honestly not as much as an advantage as being black was.
>>
>>1249575
Shit, I went into the passport office in Seattle on a Monday and had my passport by that Saturday.
>>
>>1249030
In Europe no one cares, not even people from Axis countries. But don't expect free blowjobs or whatever. Saying you're millitary is fine but avoid bringning up "DONNEL DRUMPF" or any political topic because that can turn into a shitfest, but I guess that goes for every conversation ever really.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.