[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Dubai (and other similar rags to riches cities) really as

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: dubai night.jpg (303KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
dubai night.jpg
303KB, 1920x1080px
Is Dubai (and other similar rags to riches cities) really as souless as REAL TRAVELERS™ make it out to be?
>>
>>1248452
I'm going to say "No." But I can see why somebody else would say "Yes."

What past history the city had has been almost totally bulldozed and replaced with garish glass and chrome and neon architecture. What they have built is, intentionally, a city designed for the convenience of banking and desperate mass-produced fun.

That said, like every other city in the world, it's full of people. And unlike some cities, the infrastructure is almost intentionally designed to make it difficult to make human contact with them --and that's where the soul of the city, if you will, is hidden.

If you dig, you can do it -- and in the meantime, if you want to have the kitschy, snow-ski-indoors, world's-biggest-whatever sort of glitzy fun, you can do that to keep busy.
>>
>>1248460
Has anybody ever lived in Dubai?

I'm an ESLfag and kinda want to teach there one day. I can make pretty good money and save easily, but I'll relatively be a poorfag there.

I'm curious if anybody has any info?
>>
>>1248567
Don't limit yourself to Dubai. Other places in UAE, as well as other Gulf countries like Bahrain, Qatar, and Kuwait should be on your radarm Even Saudi is okay if you live close enough to go to Bahrain on the weekends. Not the other guy, buy I lived in Bahrain, visited Qatar, and Kuwait. Interacted with Saudis and Saudi expats.
>>
>>1248609
I've looked into Kuwait it'll probably come down to there or UAE. Kuwait seems cool.

What was Bahrain like to live in? I haven't looked into it much because I've been thinking about uae. What other places in uae or nice. I just figured Dubai because I like big cities and the idea of how "soulless" it is actually appeals to me desu I like malls

This is still a year or two off. Because you need two years experience to get a good paying job in ME for esl. But I'll be so great 1 year and I'll have enough money to live happily for at least two with now work. Plus the ME is perfect for traveling to Europe Africa or Asia during time off
>>
>>1248452
Dubai is a completely fake city built over the last 20 - 30 years by slave labor.
>>
>>1248609
Qatar struck me as having less "there" there than UAE of Kuwait. Of the three, it's the one I'd have least interest in going back to.
>>
>>1248613
Dubai will have fewer restrictions on things like alcohol than will Kuwait.
>>
>>1248567
Was there for 3 months studying abroad.
Theres no culture, and everything worth doing there can be done in a week. 2 if you're super rich and willing to pay for the extras.

Its boring as fuck and would only go back if my trip was comped
>>
>>1248985
Yea but it just seems comfy to live in for a year. Plenty of western stuff and the alcohol laws are somewhat relaxed.

Any stories?
>>
>>1248567
Also if you get in trouble with the law and you're not Muslim/Arab, you'll lose.
>>
>>1249069
I don't plan on getting in much trouble but I like to drink which is why Dubai seems like the best option
>>
>>1248567
My bother works currently in Dubai as a teacher. Feel free to ask anything if you want. Salery is amazing and payed upfront. Sadly only male can apply for a job, you would teach mostly on a2 and b1 level. What else, you actually need some kind of teaching licence or some kind of english degree.
I visited him,Dubai is shit, apparently a lot work there only for 1 year.
Live is allthough quite boring; no drugs, no alcohol no local girls
>>
>>1249067
>Any stories?

No because after you see the biggest this and largest that in the first week theres nothing else to do besides pay $10 a bottle for coronas at clubs filled with women that are exclusively high end prostitutes or are looking to find a guy making at 7 figures. Or go to literally all the same chains you can find in any mid size American city.
>>
Just left Dubai after spending time in the hospital for heat exhaustion and dehydration...lovely hospitals and nurses lol.

My brief time out exploring and doing activities I definitely didnt find it soulless, but I was with people who live there so we were going to bars and restaurants that many tourist just wouldnt know about.
>>
>>1249457
>high end prostitutes
so it's /tagthesponsor/ (?)
>>
>>1248613
>What was Bahrain like to live in?
Not fun, depending on your work. I had a shitty commute every day. Get a driver if you can
>>
>>1248613
I am >>1248609
Not>>1249657

I found Bahrain very enoyabale and would love to go back to work there. It's like a more down to earth Dubai. It's more or less a city state, like Singapore. Most of the population is concentrated in Manama. If you like big cities and malls you will like Bahrain.

Here are a couple of archived threads:

http://archive.4plebs.org/trv/thread/1204623/

http://archive.4plebs.org/trv/thread/1221751/
>>
>>1248567
half british dubai local.
it is soulless.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.