[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'll be moving to Queens this fall to start graduate school.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

I'll be moving to Queens this fall to start graduate school. What should a newcomer know about the place? Rec'd neighborhoods for a student on a modest budget?

Also Queens general.
>>
move to harlem pussy
>>
Queens is huge and the neighborhoods vary widely. Queens has a big enough population to be it's own major city.

I'll try to summarize the borough the best I can.

The borough in general is extremely diverse, considered one of the most diverse places in the world. The ethnic mixes you find will vary by neighborhood.

As a general rule, Western and Central Queens are very urban, while Eastern Queens is urban for US city standards but not for NYC standards. Eastern Queens is kinda boring in my opinion, especially Southeast Queens.

In my opinion, you can't really go wrong with the stretch of Queens from about Woodside to Jackson Heights, solid neighborhoods with lots of great ethnic food, plus they're all a quick subway ride from Manhattan. And to my understanding, there's a lot to do in Astoria which is a neighborhood in Western Queens right across the river from Manhattan.

For most of Queens, crime really isn't an issue, except for South Jamaica and Far Rockaway, and even then you should be fine as long as you exercise common sense.

Also, nowhere in Queens is affordable anymore, but some neighborhoods are affordable for NYC standards.
>>
>>1248505
I think I'm gonna be studying at Queens College, which is by Queensboro Hill. Does that area fall more into the boring, eastern side you mentioned?
>>
>>1248667
Not that Anon but very much so.

Quite honestly you're really going to have to weigh the cost of living closer to Manhattan and having more to do with the practicality of having a commute that long. It's roughly 40 minutes by public transit from the Kew Gardens station.

I'd say you're even at that point where finding a small rental out in Long Island and driving in for class would be an acceptable option. As much fun as NYC is, just consider how often you're actually going to be doing fun shit if you don't live nearby, it really isn't that often.
>>
If I'm into FOB latinas and living in Manhattan, are they generally pretty available on dating sites/apps or would I have to go out to queens and go to clubs and such?
>>
>>1248703
that's actually not that bad, it's near Flushing at least.

I'm sure he can work out an ideal situation if he has the budget for it.

Keep in mind, there are a bajillion buses in Queens in addition to the subway, both run 24/7.
>>
>>1248667
>Does that area fall more into the boring, eastern side you mentioned?
>>1248703
>Not that Anon but very much so.

wut

it's like 10-15 minutes from Flushing, which is basically the second China Town, except not as cramped and smelly and has the small Korea town on the north-western part going out to Northern Blvd. and since Flushing is a major transit hub, it's easy to get to Astoria and Manhattan, and even buses out into nassau.

i can't really say much about rent, since i've only lived with my family there, but it's certainly not impossible to find a room for $300-$400.
>>
Southeastern Queens is not bad with three to four family houses looking for tenants. Worse crime in burglary but kids play in the streets so that's a good sign. The only issue in transit. Buses mostly that go to the subway and some LIRR stations. Some streets will have vans that pick up people,they shadow the bus routes.
>>
>>1248948
Looking at the average rents in SE Queens, it doesn't even look worth it to live there considering you can get a place in a more interesting part of Queens for just a little more.
>>
>>1248917
>>1248667
>>1248703
>>1248922
I think I'm going to have to be both at Queens College and the Graduate Center on 34th and 5th in Manhattan, so I think Jackson Heights or Woodside would be good. Decently centralized between the two spots.

What I found pretty much justified this>>1249061
way of thinking here. Might as well pay a tiny bit more and be in a cool neighborhood.
>>
>>1249082
Bump for best places to live, eat, and drink in Queens
>>
>>1250388
Live: Anywhere that you can afford and is geographically convenient

Eat: Jackson Heights for Mexican, South American, and South Asian food

Flushing for Chinese and Korean food
>>
>>1250388
Drink: I haven't gotten drunk in Queens yer, but to my underarstanding Astoria has good nightlife

Also, it's common for people in the outer boroughs to go to Manhattan for nightlife
>>
Southeast Queens resident. Can't deny that it's kind of boring out here, plus having to the take a bus to a train takes a while. It's quiet and the houses are very pretty but that's not the concern of a student.

>>1250388

>Live
Since you're going to Queens College, I'd recommend western Queens rather than eastern. Flushing is cool but I'm not sure if you'd visit it everyday. Definitely try to live in a place along a subway line (7,E,F are your options for Queens). Spots like Middle Village may not be too interesting on their own, but being in the center of Queens gives you easier access to Brooklyn too.

>Eat
Jackson Heights for South Asian and Mexican food (Corona is good for this as well). Flushing has great Chinese and Korean food (Kimganae is a great one to start with). Chicken Lovers in Bayside has the jooociest chicken I've ever tasted. Elmhurst has a great Bahn Mi shop called JoJu.

Astoria is the place for Greek food, though I don't go there often. Jamaica has loads of Caribbean options. Forest Hills is kind of a jack of all trades.

And clearly, there's way more to see outside of Queens.

>Drink
I honestly don't know much about drinking in Queens. 212 HIsae's in Manhattan is my favorite for drinking with friends though (it can get crowded due to the amount of NYU students in the area though).
>>
>>1248787
Clubs and such but it can be trickey. I live in brooklyn and love carribean women but all the music places i go to are 100% liberal white women. what do? ;_;
>>
Try to live near a train station. Queens isn't Manhattan where they're on every block.
>>
>>1251668
There's a place called Kinfolk 94 in Williamsburg and it seems to attract a lot of non-fob Asians and Latinas, as well as black girls

Thing is though, they won't let you in unless you have at least one female for every guy in your group
>>
>>1251786
I live near bushwick/bed stuy and see beautiful black girls every day on the train but i dont know where theu all hang out at night and i want to find a place with at least a little diversity so i dont stand out too much ;_;
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.