[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /trv/, serious question here. I'm a Canadian planning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

File: CHIN0100.gif (5KB, 388x260px) Image search: [Google]
CHIN0100.gif
5KB, 388x260px
Hi /trv/, serious question here.

I'm a Canadian planning a solo trip to Hong Kong. I have a condition that requires me to take medication daily. In order to get the medication though I have to get blood testing done every month to make sure that the medication isn't interfering with my white blood cell count.

Does anyone on this board have any experience with getting medication and testing done abroad? Also other tips regarding Hong Kong welcome.

Thanks.
>>
You are going to hk for a month?
>>
>>1248164

That's my plan, give or take a few days. But naturally I was wondering how I could find a way to stay longer.
>>
>>1248163
I take medication for epilepsy but my blood tests are 6 months apart to check the effect on my liver and medicine levels. I'm going to Japan in a few days. It shouldn't be much of a problem. Sometimes I don't get my blood test on time but my levels are fine.

I'd say just take the blood test the day before or so and maybe get a few extra pills on hand just in case, and then take a blood test as soon as you're back home.
>>
>>1248182
So I guess you've never been on a trip that lasted over 6 months? It's kind of a bummer to think that I have to come home every month to get my medication.
>>
>>1248163
You got the aids op ?
>>
>>1248190
No I take clozapine.
>>
its Hong Kong. It's east meets west, quality of doctors is good and the country is still dodgy enough for you to find whatever medication you need even without a doctor
>>
>>1248163
Book one way.
See if you can find a doctor who can do the tests and proscribe the medication (shouldn't be too hard).
If not, come home after three weeks.

I can't imagine why you'd want to go for a month though, unless you just want to party all the time.

Hong Kong only takes a couple of days to see everything significant. A week would cover everything.
>>
>>1248207
Is there a way I can book one way without spending a lot more than a round trip? I've heard some people book round trips and then cancel the returning flight. I've also heard that you can be sent back home at the airport if you don't have a returning ticket.
>>
>>1248207
>Hong Kong only takes a couple of days to see everything significant. A week would cover everything.
Wrong. I spent two weeks there, and still wish I had seen more.
>>
>>1248163

I found it fairly easy to see doctors and get prescription medicine in a pinch. There are doctors everywhere and the one I went to seemed pretty decent - got his m.d. In Australia
>>
>>1248163
When are you planning on coming? It will be rainy season soon.

Doctors here are very good but I don't know what they are likely to charge for your needs. Why not just tell your usual doctor that you are travelling and ask what they suggest.
>>
>>1248207
Returned 8 days from spending a week there. I could have easily stayed another week.
>>
I dont think its worth making another thread for this but anyone have decent hostel/hotel recommendations? I'm a photographer and I'll be traveling with some expensive equipment so I'd prefer a private room.
>>
>>1249295
okay, this is not for you, but i keep on forgetting to share with /trv/ the best budget hotel i found in hk thus far, so here it goes:
miu ceon wing on hotel http://www.booking.com/Share-AYuAKq
we ended up staying in this hotel/brothel(? it had some red lights next to some rooms anyway) with my girl friends, and i would recommend it to anyone who wants to burn their money in the shops and not on accomodation. if you can get a top floor corner room... get one, otherwise might not be all that interesting. squeaky clean, but the facilities are extremely basic.
>>
>>1249092

Sorry for the late reply. I was actually planning on coming this summer. Is rainy season unbearable? I personally enjoy heat but I'm from Vancouver and it never really gets rainy and hot here at the same time. Also I went on this board because my doctors didn't have too much to say. They basically recommended that I try planning a trip that will last less than one month, which is good because I've never been on a big trip like this myself before.
>>
>>1248163
As someone who has lived in HK for a while, you'll need to go to an actual hospital to have such a thing done. Most people and foreigners usually go to out-patient clinics in HK. These places are very small and more than likely couldn't accommodate your medical needs.

Also you can spend probably two weeks at most in HK before you run out of things to see.
>>
>>1250267
>>1250267
Not unbearable, we live with it. You may get lucky, it can be very unpredictable. You might get ten wet days followed by two or three clear sunny days or you may get ten grey days where it only rains a small amount each day. Or you may get a typhoon though they do tend to be later in the summer ... mostly.

Keep an eye on the observatory for a couple of weeks:
http://www.hko.gov.hk/wxinfo/currwx/fnd.htm
>>
>>1248163
> Also other tips regarding Hong Kong welcome.
What are the best free views in Hong Kong (specifically city skyline views)? I already have Lugard Rd, Hopewell center elevator, ifc2 monetary authority, and central plaza on my list. Any good mid-level viewpoints? Also, is Lugard Rd. Actually superior to the peak?
>>
File: jeez.jpg (21KB, 313x450px) Image search: [Google]
jeez.jpg
21KB, 313x450px
pharmacies always just around the corner, so not to worry.

Also: you will find on all public places activities for morning exercise https://youtu.be/6vcrSaCoXj0
>>
>>1251250
port side is always good
https://youtu.be/Ljj7Xk_jIxE

And for the victoria peak: it has to be sunny, check the waether forcast and start at 7am. otherwise you will see only fog and a mass of tourists https://youtu.be/Ljj7Xk_jIxE
>>
>>1251259
Any experience with Lugard?
>>
>>1248163
Just out of curioustiy OP what kind of condition do you have? (doctor here)
>>
>>1251272
My last diagnosis was psychosis with mood disorder. I was prescribed Clozapine as a last resort drug when none of the other anti-psychotics were really working. Clozapine is one of the best anti-psychotics on the market but in certain people it can make your white blood cell count drop as you may already know which is why it's a last resort drug.

In order to take it regularly and get it prescribed you have to get blood testing done once a month to make sure you're reacting normally to the medication.
>>
File: Capture.png (288KB, 382x360px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
288KB, 382x360px
>>1251265
>Any experience with Lugard?
Well, we did a bit of the victoria trail if you mean the Lugard Road.

We did exit at the Fu Pok Lam reservoir
https://youtu.be/2wi86iCt9GE
>>
>>1249295
>decent hostel/hotel recommendations? I'm a photographer and I'll be traveling with some expensive equipment so I'd prefer a private room
Hostels don't usually have private rooms in Hong Kong. You could try Chungking towers, the tiny rooms are more secure than you might expect, there are cameras everywhere after all.

Best to just stay in a quality hotel if you're bringing expensive gear though, I'm partial to Cityview which is a YMCA related hotel of some sort, in Jordan and just around the corner from the MTR. About HKD$700/night but there's an 'upgrade' to decent room if you book a cheap one, seems to happen automatically for no particular reason, maybe just if they have the rooms available when you check in. Or maybe it's bullshit and they're really just giving you the room you booked but pretending that the room classes are all one lower than they are or something.
>>
>>1251265
Lugard Road is a small footpath just to the west of the Peak Tram. Follow it and it will morph into Harlech Road about half way around. Continuing along Harlech will bring you back to where you started in about an hour.

There is an open area at the point where the two paths meet and there is a third path called Hatton Road. If you follow this you can join up with the Hong Kong Trail which will take you around High West and and then back on the otherside to Pokfulam and Aberdeen.

There are loads of trails up there. The Hong Kong Trail is about 50 kilometres and ends at Shek O in the south east of HK Island but you can do it in sections.

A lot of the trails have street view but beware, people wear the cameras in the heads and walk in groups so they are not always as useful as you might wish.

$chan wont allow me to post a link to the google map though
>>
>>1251250
>What are the best free views in Hong Kong
The best free views require quite a bit of effort to get to and aren't always as good as they could be on account of the weather/pollution.
>>
>>1249295
Best bang for your buck hotel, if you favor privacy and location and don't mind a tiny room, is the mini hotel central. 50eur a night for a private room in a great spot.
Op I have lived and been hospitalized in HK, you can have any testing done in St Theresa hospital. You'll have to pay up front but everything's up to western standards.
>>
>>1251581
How long do you think will take me to go from montane mansion to the peak if I'm in good shape, young, have gps, and carrying next to nothing?
>>
>>1251584
>aren't always as good as they could be on account of the weather/pollution.
I gotta admit, that was easily the most disappointing part of the trip.

When I was looking at the photos I took, I noticed a lot of grey skies.
>>
>>1251696
Don't need a GPS but you will need water. From Montane Mansion continue west along Kings Road maybe a hundred metres give or take a bit. Then turn left up Mt Parker Road. Just before you start up the hill pick up your water from the little shops on the left. You might also consider getting a couple of bananas as well.

Mt parker is a steep winding road but cards never go up there (even though they could). About 2 kilometres - ish up you'll come to Wndy Gao. There is a little gazebo where you can enjoy a slug of water before it get too warm. From here there are three choices. To the right you go up MT parker to the big white telecommunication thingys that you could see on the way up. Right goes down hill to Tai Tam and the antique reservoirs and damns.

Behind the gazebo is a flight of steps called Jacob's Ladder, over the top of Mt Butler following the Hong Kong Trail (section 5). That will also lead you over the top of Jardine's Lookout and back down to Tai Tam Reservoir Road. This is where you'll most probably get lost because you are temporarily out on the road again. You need to find a road called Blacks Link. It's a short, winding strip of mind-buggeringly expensive houses.

It's also the end of the Hong Kong Trail (section 4) and to get to the Peak you will need to complete that, section 3, 2 and 1, around Aberdeen Reservoir, to the south of, and around High West to the west of the Peak and eventually up to Lugard Road where you'll turn left.

tl&dr probably about 5-7 hours depending on how fast you are.

ALTERNATIVELY
Gert the MTR from Tai Koo to Central and the number 15 bus from the terminal under Exchange Square and you'll be there in about an hour
>>
>>1252458
>Wndy Gao
Windy Gap
>>
>>1252458
>From Montane Mansion continue west along Kings Road maybe a hundred metres give or take a bit. Then turn left up Mt Parker Road.

I lied, it's about a hundred metres from the MTR, Montane Mansion is near corner of Mt Parker Road
>>
>>1252462
Thanks for the detailed response. I was thinking of doing it in like, 3 hours. 5~7 is a little more than I'd like. Will probably just take the tram up
>>
>>1248207
>A week would cover everything

A week for casual tourists. But, you can easily spend 1 month there if you want to explore and enjoy the food.
>>
>>1252464
Take the Number 15 bus, the tram is expensive, crowded and you don't see much.

Get the upstairs front seat left-hand side. Cheaper and better views. The bus leaves from the terminus under Exchange Square in Central.

There is a small flight of steps between the Peak Tower and Lugard Road. Follow this down to Old Peak Road. This morphs into Barker Road.

Keep following Barker (avoiding the left turn that takes you to Number 28) and you will eventually see see Tramway Path on your left. It's a short flight of steps just after the Tennis Court. This will lead you down to May Road where you'll actually see the tram.

Hang left and cross May Road and you'll see Clovelly Path on your right. This short stretch will lead you to Brewin Path which in turn will lead you to Magazine Gap Road. Turn right here and keep going till you see Bowen Road on the left.

Parts of Bowen Road are actually an old aqueduct which is now a jogging trail. There's some cool views along there as well. You're already quite a way down by now, you can continue along Bowen to the end and get the 15 bus back to Central or take one of several paths that continue down hill.

From the Peak to the end of Bowen probably about 1.5 hours
>>
>>1252607
I'm most likely going to be eating south asian food at Chungking Mansions and street food, but is there a lot to explore?
>>
>>1248208

I'll second this, since it wasn't answered. I always book round trip because while I feel secure in getting a cheap outgoing flight, but I always get worried about not being able to find a cheap flight back in when I want to come back. Is there some method for doing this cheaply?
>>
A topic of much contention in this thread. How long should one stay in Hong Kong with no visa? Let's say with a $2000-2200 budget in Canadian Dollars.
>>
>>1255553
Fellow Canadian here. I easily did 2 weeks on less than $1000CAD. Note that I said *less*, meaning that it was closer to $960-990ish.

This figure doesn't include flights & accommodation, though. It does, however, include various frivolities (Disneyland, Ocean Park, Macau trip, stupid souvenirs, the occasional expensive restaurant, etc.).

Try to aim for 3 weeks. Most people say 1 week is enough, but I respectfully disagree. 2 weeks wasn't enough for me, and I think one more week would've been *just* right.
>>
>>1255556
Do you think I could do 3 weeks on roughly $1000CAD if I'm very frugal? The airline ticket alone will cost about $850CAD around this time of year and accommodations should be about $315CAD if I spend 15 dollars a day on them.
>>
>>1255618
You actually probably could, but you'd be missing out on a lot of fun stuff, though.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.