[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are /trv/'s favorite things to do, see and eat in Mexico

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

What are /trv/'s favorite things to do, see and eat in Mexico City? I'm going for 2-3 weeks next month, my first time. Is it as big of a bargain as it seems?
Any advice or recs would be greatly appreciated.
>>
Was thinking of going sometime this year ad well
>>
One of the best places in the world if you're white, speak spanish, and into latinas.
>>
Tequila is too mainstream, you should try mezcal and pulque (the beverage of gods). There are plenty of places to go out downtown, in La Roma and La Condesa, to hang out and dance. I would recommend you visiting Chapultepec, Coyoacan, San Angel and Tlalpan, all of them places full of history. Also Teotihuacan pyramids is a must! Overall food is cheap (unless you go to expensive posh restaurants) and there are tacos in each street corner. Also downtown there are some cheap hostels. With 25 bucks you could live like a king sightseeing and drinking incluided. Also weed is cheap here.
>>
Tacos al pastor, yucatecan food, oaxacan food, seafood, street food. Visit San Juan Market in the downtown area for exotic food. Check out all the art and history museums if you're into that. Imo 2-3 weeks in mexico city is more than enough, and you should make a day trip to nearby cities like Queretaro or Puebla.
>>
>>1246394
>Tequila is too mainstream
This is only a meme in your brain. OP should enjoy tequila as much as possible, and especially if the homemade chaser "sangrita" is homemade.

Expensive posh restaurants are cheap. That's the really nice thing OP. Go ahead and dine at the best chef's establishments, order everything and still spend hardly anything in an international price sense. I'd still avoid most street food. There are clean walkup restaurant windows everywhere, where employees have actual filtered water, bathrooms, and clean this or that throughout.

Leather goods can be inexpensive, like some of the better brands if manufactured there, even if branded top desigher euro brands, if they came through the mexican factory, they're real, just not euro prices. Just price stuff and do the math in your head.

You have at least 15 days in the city without running out of fun.
>>
Don't be afraid of using the metro system; it is extremely extensive and cheap.
Visit Bazar del Sabado in San Angel on a Saturday for some healthy shopping.
Check out luchas in the arena mexico, or a futbol match.
>>
Walk around, eat tacos, drink corona, have sex with a thick mexican
>>
>>1246381
Damn, I'm Mexican and am going to be there for two weeks on business. Will I have a bad time since I'm not white?
>>
>>1246883
Taxis are pretty cheap as well. But they suck when there is too much traffic.
>>
>>1246834
>Expensive posh restaurants are cheap
no. There are restaurants which charge you 40$ for a steak. And it'd be imported from USA.
Yes, funnily enough rich mexicans want to eat American.

>With 25 bucks you could live like a king sightseeing and drinking incluided
this is bullshit.
With 25$ you can rent a room in a run-down hotel. It definitely won't be "like a king".

wtf are these legends coming from? your dad tell you how he visited Mexico in 1975?

Yes, Mexico is cheap compared to US and Europe, but it's not by an order of magnitude, and you can't be a king for a dollar ffs
>>
>>1249151
>>Expensive posh restaurants are cheap
>no. There are restaurants which charge you 40$ for a steak. And it'd be imported from USA.
puhlease
It's under USD$100 to do the 11 course tasting menu at Pujol. It's one of the top 25 restaurants in the WORLD, by more than one publication. There aren't are any other restaurants in the top 25 at that price point for a tasting menu.
Most ranked restaurant entree prices are roughly one-fourth or half price given equivalent standards overseas in any major city. When an American is buying a steak at anywhere from Shulas to Capitol Grille, they already know they are getting a private farm raised steak, aged and cooked to their exactng kitchen policies (think Ruth's Cris megawatt ovens)...and there's no reason to compare steak prices in the US to Mexico for US steaks. That's stupid. It's like complaining that imported French wine costs more than it does in France, durr.
Anyway, you missed my point...which is to say that you can dine in Mexico's best restaurants, and you should, and unlike elsewhere, you don't really have to watch the pricetag, as there are few that are at international prices. I wouldn't even say the San Angel Inn is expensive though I would blink at the appetizer prices they have at most US restaurants. What's the price for? It's a soaking in continental history in a lovely setting that can be combined with some neighborhood browsing and some Frida Kahlo. Some of the best bakeries are nearby too.

>Yes, funnily enough rich mexicans want to eat American.
If you say so...
I say that international travelers in Washington, D.C. usually visit a celebratory steakhouse, which is why there are literally 100s. It's part of the business deal closure experience too. Funnily enough, that will also be part of many folks reason to dine at that kind of establishment in the DF too.
>>
I'm going to be in Mexico City in a few weeks for work. Is peyote legal in "el DF?" Would I be able to get it without getting murdered by cartels? I'm Mexican, and speak Spanish fluently, but my accent would immediately give me away as an American or tourist.
>>
>>1248135
Yes, you'll be assumed to be part of a cartel and shot by police.
>>
>>1249151
Numbeo figures:

Consumer Prices in Mexico City are 23.26% lower than in Phnom Penh
Consumer Prices Including Rent in Mexico City are 22.04% lower than in Phnom Penh
Rent Prices in Mexico City are 18.81% lower than in Phnom Penh
Restaurant Prices in Mexico City are 43.49% higher than in Phnom Penh
Groceries Prices in Mexico City are 33.43% lower than in Phnom Penh
Local Purchasing Power in Mexico City is 175.83% higher than in Phnom Penh
>>
>>1249414
IE, if Cambodia isn't expensive, Mexico City sure as hell isn't either. You can do the same comparison with a lot of places, and it is obvious that Mexico City is on SEA level.
>>
You gon' get raped by the zetas

T. Mexican
>>
>>1246293
what does mexico city think of african americans (i speak spanish tho)
>>
>>1250172
>what does mexico city think of african americans
It goes from, nothing, to "they have nice voices, bodys and are tall as fuck".
>i speak spanish
In that case, people might assume you are Cuban or other type of Caribbean. But their black people tend to be way darker than African-Americans, and they also have a particular way of looking that I can't really describe; so probably nothing, really. Some people might stare at you because we are not that used to seeing black people here (the same thing happens to Asians, and 2 meter tall Scandinavians), even if there has been a recent influx of some Nigerians and other Africans in the city.
>>
>>1250180
i'm technically mullato, tanned mexicans can be darker than i am. i was mistaken for being a puerto rican a bunch when i was in NYC lol
>>
>>1250182
Depending on your accent, then you could pass for a Panamanian or Colombian, then.
A not that small bunch of Mexicans have some significant African heritage and blood in them, but they just don't know it, since everyone got so mixed here it's impossible to know for sure.
You would be fine either way, desu.
>>
>>1249272
OP here, I snagged a reservation at Pujol thanks for the reminder.
>>
>>1250194
>Depending on your accent, then you could pass for a Panamanian or Colombian, then.

he said he is Unitedstatesian. what does the Panamanian or Colombian accents have to do with Chicano accent?
>>
>>1250406
He said he is mulatto while speaking Spanish. People assume mulattoes that speak Spanish are from there, unless he has a very thick American accent, in which case, people will assume he is American.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.