[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I fell for the backpacking meme how the fuck am I supposed to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

File: 1493594238884.jpg (221KB, 1000x1334px) Image search: [Google]
1493594238884.jpg
221KB, 1000x1334px
I fell for the backpacking meme

how the fuck am I supposed to find a bag big enough to carry all my shit and also not look like a tool walking around the town
>>
>>1245527
Travel like an Asian. 3 cheap rolling suitcases.
>>
>>1245527
you don't, that's why backpackers are universally hated outside of backpacking communities, because they look and smell like shit and carry enormous packs that get in the way of everyone
>>
>>1245527
>>1245530
lelwut

I don't get it.

I used a very casual-looking backpack (ie. something designed for school or work, not hiking or camping). A backpack like that blends in with the city quite well, and doesn't get in the way. Come to think of it, it was a pretty small backpack, and I estimate that its maximum capacity wasn't even 20 litres.

I do at least understand >>1245530's point of locals disliking dirty unwashed tourist hippies and their giant backpacks with everything in it. Fortunately I showered everyday, changed clothes everyday, and carried a <20L backpack.

I packed very lightly. I only brought 3 days' worth of clothes, and took them to a laundromat when I ran out of clean clothes to wear.

I didn't pack any toiletries because 1. liquid restrictions on flights are annoying, and 2. I'm not a woman. I used the toiletries provided by my hotel, and purchased a small/cheap tube of toothpaste. Toothbrushes were provided free of charge in two of the hotels I stayed in.

Clothes & toiletries are really the only thing you need for a trip (besides money & passports). My backpack was a far cry from full when I started the trip. I filled the abundant space with non-essential frivolities such as a camera, USB chargers, and a first-aid kit, and I still had way too much room in my backpack.

What the feck were you guys packing?
>>
>>1245533
I would super appreciate it if you could please post a "load out" list or pictures of what you packed into what kind of bag. I have a trip coming up and want to pack ultralight like you! Please and thanks in advance!!
>>
File: 1493764249831.png (869KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1493764249831.png
869KB, 1080x1920px
>>1245533
>3 pair of clothes
found the dude not getting laid
>>
File: school-bags-250x250.jpg (13KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
school-bags-250x250.jpg
13KB, 250x250px
>>1245551
Alright, I can give you a list. Please bear in mind that this is just for the bag's contents. My wallet & passport were carried on my person. For reference, I am a late 20s male with no health problems, so I didn't need to pack any other essentials (medication, tampons, etc.).

>t-shirt x3
>pants x3
>socks x3 pair
>resealable plastic bags x4 small, x2 large
>reusable fabric shopping bag (for storing used/dirty clothes in)
>notepad
>pen
>photocopies of travel documents
>camera
>USB charger
>selfie stick (although I had brought it because I was traveling alone, it was actually pretty good for taking shots in hard-to-reach places)
>pack of hand wipes
>gym towel
>small first aid kit (just a very basic one containing a few adhesive bandages, gauze, medical tape, and isopropyl wipes; bought it at a dollar store)

All of this fit in a basic backpack that many people use for school or work. No need for a rugged outdoorsy 65-litre ultra-mega-wild backpack that the hikers/campers/hippies use.
>>
File: no.jpg (25KB, 500x344px) Image search: [Google]
no.jpg
25KB, 500x344px
>>1245527
>fell for the backpacking meme
>don't even own a backpack yet
>mfw
what the fuck are you talking about, you retarded faggot?
>>
Somewhat related - how strict are the airlines about the maximum dimensions they defined you can carry with you onboard?
>>
Why dont you just leave your stinky backpack at your hostel/hotel?

Why would you carry that shit around with you?
>>
>>1245581
I would say that it's proportionate to their perceived quality.

Airlines with "good" reputations usually don't give a shit. Examples: Japan Airlines, Cathay Pacific, etc.

Airlines with "bad" reputations can be nazis about this kind of thing. They're usually control freaks like China Eastern, or they're budget airlines like Ryanair. They're either dicks to you because they're already accustomed to it, or they're dicks to you because you get what you pay for.
>>
>>1245581
>>1245586
There is a reason for those dimensions, it's because there are jackasses trying to store stuff that is over the limit and ends up taking time and being a hazard.

I'm traveling with a 35L backpack that fits overhead on all airlines and is soft shell, but there are people that insist that their hard shell over the limit stuff gets in as well and only ends up delaying take off as staff are playing Tetris on hard mode with people's luggage to accommodate them.

Weight distribution for planes is also important due to fuel efficiency to say the least, so again, please, be on limit. It's not about airlines being dicks, it's about customers being morons. Exceptions apply, ofc.
>>
>>1245590
For all the difference it makes, I'm actually surprised that enforcement isn't stricter.
>>
>>1245527
I use the bigger backpack from Ikea and it fits in everywhere because Ikea is everywhere. It was 30 bucks or so, fits everything I need, and seems durable enough. Plus, if it breaks I'll be able to find a new one in any major city.
>>
>>1245592
Is it the Förenkla?
>>
5k enough to do Europe for two months? Not really wanting to go to Asia.
>>
>>1245530
Roosh, is that you?
>>
>>1245527
>>1245582
Sorry for liking things you don't like
When I travel I spend most of my time far outside of the city, camping. I don't mind spending most nights under the stars, or even in a nice park or under a bridge if I'm in town. This saves a lot of money but I need to carry some extra things like my hammock, sleeping bag, a small tarp. I only have a 45L pack and it's usually not near full though. Not huge but definitely enough to make me look out of place. It's not really very heavy and it enables me to travel the way that I enjoy, frugally for a long period of time. So leave me alone
>>
>>1245555
I would guess that not that many backpackers get laid at all.
>>
>>1245638
>is a shitty backpacker who spends his nights camping without being able to wash himself.

>assumes that everyone else is a shitty backpacker who smells like shit.

Fucking kek
>>
>>1245527
>not look like a tool walking around the town

you leave your luggage at your hotel what the fuck man what faggot is lugging their bags around all the time?

oh wait you're probably staying in some shithole place with no locks for le hostel meme experience
>>
>>1245638
Do you sleep in forests illegaly?
What happens if you get caught?
Wanna do this kind of stuff.
>>
>>1245564
>didnt bring underwear
>>
>>1246005
lel

I definitely brought underwear, I assure you that much. The list was hastily written, and I accept that I fucked up.
>>
>>1245720
>backpacking
>staying in luxury hotels
That's like glamping.
>>
>>1246222
>what are budget hotels
>what are motels
>what are hostels with private room options
>what is Airbnb
>what are actual licensed B&Bs
>>
>>1246230
>what is Airbnb
>what are actual licensed B&Bs
No seriously what is that.
>>
>>1246233
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed_and_breakfast
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbnb
>>
backpacking is a meme because it should have been dead considering the conditions nowaways

i used to do it back in 2005, back then backpacking made sense because there was little way to find cheap accommodation, even after one had arrived at the destination, so young people had to go the camping/caravan/wing it route

these days, because of the internet, if you can afford a plane/train ticket, you can afford a sleazy hostel/airbnb, no need to lug around a huge backpack

and then there are kids competing to spend as little as possible, to emulate those eurotrip movies/stories, or to boast on social media. whatever let them do their thing
>>
>>1245988
>Do you sleep in forests illegaly?
Kind of I guess. Sometimes. Fuck it. I always leave the space as I left it.
>What happens if you get caught?
Idk, I've never been caught. It's really not hard to find decently secluded spots if you start thinking about it by our before sundown.
>Wanna do this kind of stuff.
Do it

>>1245658
I never said everyone was like me. I just said to let people travel the way that they prefer. Apparently that's controversial enough to get my post deleted. Meanwhile in neighboring threads people rage about immigration. Suck my cock faggot ass mods.
>>
>>1246233
LOL
>>
Get a small rucksack and a duffle bag. Easy
>>
>>1245527
My plan was to take a big one and a regular one. I definitely want to have a carry on with all my essentials in case the airline misplaces my checked baggage, and I may or may not wear it around.

For my big one I planned on leaving it where ever I am going to sleep that night. (most hostels have lockers in them if you bring a lock, so I've heard, and hotel rooms should hopefully be safe enough with a do not disturb sign).

Granted I'd still stick out when I go from city to city or country-country.... but idc.
>>
>>1245638
how do you find places to sleep outside the city without going on someone's land and them coming out with a shotgun?
>>
>>1245596
ez
>>
>>1245564
this is pretty much what i'm going with for europe, my main concern with backpacks though is security rather than size
>>
>>1246374
Guy you're replying to here. If you plan on packing similarly, then there should be no concern. Most of the stuff on that list are inexpensive & easy to replace, should any thieves actually have any interest in them.

In hindsight, the only thing I'd do different is maybe keep your camera on you. Keep it in your pocket if it's a P&S, or have it hanging on your neck if it's a DSLR.

And don't forget to bring underwear.
>>
>>1246388
yeah i suppose i shouldn't be too worried about a few pairs of clothes etc being stolen, i was planning on using a fanny pack for camera/passport and any other important documents. i still feel a bit cringe buying a selfie stick, did you get that much use out of it?
>>
File: 1.jpg (63KB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
63KB, 852x480px
>>1246393
Try to avoid using a fanny pack. It's practically a neon sign that screams "I am a tourist. Please steal from me." The less touristy you look, the better.

If you want to conceal your passport, get yourself one of those passport holders that you wear underneath your jacket/clothes.

If you want to take pictures of yourself (and why wouldn't you, you handsome adventurous beast?) and you're traveling alone, you have no choice but to use a selfie stick, or trust a stranger to take a photo of you (do you really want to try?).

The selfie stick also provides other uses. I was able to take pictures of birds & other animals with that extra reach (zooming isn't always perfect). It's also useful for restricted spaces, like if you were on a bridge or behind a fence.
>>
>>1246406
good points all round, thanks, it's for sure not gonna be my only trip so i think there will be a lot of trial and error with the first few
>>
File: 1482959373250.jpg (202KB, 530x558px) Image search: [Google]
1482959373250.jpg
202KB, 530x558px
Mfw I bought a 70+10L backpack for my upcoming trip.
>>
Anyone have any experience with light/minimalist packing for a trip to multiple destinations in different climates?

I'm going to India/Bhutan this December/January. I've heard that India is still reasonably hot during those months, but Bhutan is still definitely cold like the rest of the world.

How do I pack for this kind of trip?
>>
>>1246440
Bring plenty of rubbers
>>
>>1245527
I always thought "backpacker" was what europoors called homeless so people wouldn't realize their countries are loaded with beggars and gypsies
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.