[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Planning on taking a trip to Yellowstone in mid June. Is it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: Yellowstone-glory-pool.jpg (514KB, 990x658px) Image search: [Google]
Yellowstone-glory-pool.jpg
514KB, 990x658px
Planning on taking a trip to Yellowstone in mid June.

Is it worth the extra trouble to book everything separately or go with a package deal? I am assuming the former but it's been such a pain in the ass due to the overwhelming amount of different parts of the park, lodging and vacation deals.

I have never been and do not even really know where to start on planning this. Should we go with a tour guide or do it on our own? It will be two adults and a two year old. Two year old will have no issues being on trails and outdoors (we already do that on a regular basis here).

Any tips or recommendations?
>>
>>1244291
Where are you from OP?

You really don't need a guide to go there, it's a national park. Just drive in, camp and enjoy the hikes and scenery. Just make sure you get a permit for camping well ahead of time as in summer the slots avaliable fill quickly. (If camping is your goal)

If you want to stay in a hotel thereservation are numerous hotels just outside the park in the small towns near the main entrances. A package deal sounds like a good way to spend too much cash.

And don't do anything foolish, this is one of the few parks in the USA where the actual landscape around you can kill. If you see signs in geothermal areas telling you to stick to the path, STICK TO THE PATH.
>>
>>1244301

I am from Houston, Texas.

Not camping, actually found an AirBnb house right outside the park for cheaper than most motels.

And thank you for the advice, we are pretty cautious (especially with the two year old) and not really looking for an "off the beaten path adventure". I think the preset trails and guides would be more than enough for us.
>>
OP Here

So we are flying into Cody, WY and staying in Powell, WY.

Any recomendations on what to visit in or out of Yellowstone? Will be staying from Jun 14th to the 19th.

Blue dot is where we are staying
>>
>>1244301
>And don't do anything foolish,

THIS

> this is one of the few parks in the USA where the actual landscape around you can kill.

It isn't, though. The numvber of people who get themselves killed in Gtand Canyon, for example, through falling, dehydration, heat, etc. is surprising. Don't let the word "park" confuse you -- National Parks are not city parks or amusement parks, with all the rough edges sanded off and foam padding on everything - they are wild places, as much as they can be, and need to be treated as such. Though you are correct in that Yellowstone has some unique and gruesome ways it can kill you.

> If you see signs in geothermal areas telling you to stick to the path, STICK TO THE PATH.

Again, THIS. Falling into boiling acid must be a particularly unpleasant way to die.
>>
>>1244360
When in Yellowstone just grab the map at the entrance of the park and drive the road. As the park is huge and you're there 5 days you can probably split your trip in different parts of the park. I really liked to see the lower yellowstone falls both the brinks and from afar. Otherwise black sand basin, lamar valley, yellowstone lake, old faithful, mammoth hot springs, grand prismatic spring etc. are nice.
Out of Yellowstone, you could probably drive to the tetons (especially snake overlook point if you are in a hurry and moran point) which are not too far away. There's a rodeo in Cody, not far from where you're staying although I'm not sure its happening when you're there. Cody was also founded by buffalo bill and there's a fun museum there and the buffalo bill state park is quite nice too. Otherwise, the road from yellowstone to cody is quite nice although longer than thought.

Finally, bearthooth highway, going to red lodge, MT is nice too but that might be too far away for you.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.