[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

tfw been 1 month since coming home from your 7 month backpack

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: tfwmug.jpg (107KB, 800x900px) Image search: [Google]
tfwmug.jpg
107KB, 800x900px
tfw been 1 month since coming home from your 7 month backpack trip.

What are your feelings after a long trip? Do you feel rejuvenated, depressed? Did travelling change you at all?

I didn't go to "find myself" or runaway from anything. I had a legit job for 4 years after uni, worked hard, and got a bit burnt out and wanted to do something interesting.

I have a job interview next week for a pretty good position, and I don't even care. All I can think about is, yeah sure, if i get, i'm going to fuck off after 12-18 months and go travel again.
>>
>>1242903
Keen to here the answers to this.

Currently considering ending a 3 year relationship to do this.
>>
>>1242903
>>1242903
After my travels of typically a month at a time, I get about a week of feeling superb; relaxed, calm and happy to be home. This tends to fade quickly and a mild depression sets in. This is when I usually start planning my next excursion, or have a mooch through wherever EasyJet / Ryanair are flying to for ridiculously cheap from my local airport (Iceland is looking interesting at the moment...). Even a long weekend somewhere can be enough to keep my mood up for a bit.
Long term I just want to get my mortgage paid off (got another 6 years), sell the house and go and run a dodgy bar in a shipping container somewhere in central Asia.
>>
>>1242909
>ending a 3 year relationship
I don't think it's worth it mang. I love traveling but after a few months away I want to come back home and start achieving some goals. Meeting new people all the time is great but eventually I get burnt out after it starts to feel a bit pointless having no continuity in any of your relationships.

Coming back from a long trip is always a shock to the system because normal life is so different to life as a tourist. I find the best way is to focus on the positives by getting out there and seeing friends/family and enjoying all the little things you missed while you were away. That helps to make you appreciative rather than resentful of the place you live. Most people don't really care about your travel, if you want to talk about it find that one friend who has traveled and is interested, or just call your mum. It's also important to hit the ground running and start working towards the goals your time away should have hopefully clarified. Also try to avoid sinking back into hold habits that will have hopefully been broken by your time away.
>>
Why can't you live like a backpacker at home? Move into a hostel or cheap hotel. Live out of a single bag, cycling through a handful of t-shirt and cargo short combinations you wash in the sink. Live off noodles and beer.
>>
>>1242948
can't be travelling and banging hoes while I have a gf at home
>>
>>1242970
That's true, and there is always the concern that both partners have over whether the other has been faithful.

As I was saying I personally find that while meeting new people is one of the best things about travelling it does get a bit depressing constantly starting from scratch with relationships that go nowhere, and that applies to women too. I find that after a long trip I appreciate the lasting friendships I have more, so if I ended a good relationship before traveling I think I'd find myself really missing it when I returned.

Ultimately though we may not be the same, perhaps if this relationship isn't holding much value to you (which your post suggests) then this may be the impetus you need to move on.
>>
>>1242909
You'll have to come back home eventually if you go on a long excursion, and if you leave your partner, you'll have one less person who will welcome you home

Long trips like this are best for people that have nothing at home. We have nothing to come back to, so staying away for as long as possible is reinforced and encouraged
>>
>>1243012
>best for people with nothing to come back to
This seems inaccurate
>>
Traveling is going to be enjoyable most of the time, that kind of goes without saying.

I genuinely felt like shit when I came back home after a two-week trip. TWO WEEKS. If I had more money, I would've stayed longer.

I imagine that it would be far more devastating to come back from a months-long trip.
>>
>>1243218
Not necessarily. I find that the two-week mark is when travel really starts to get good - you've been away long enough to gain confidence but not long enough to get jaded or miss home. After months away you'll like be missing things from home and the excitement may have started to wear off so coming home can be easier in that situation.
>>
>>1242903

I dunno, I'm still on my backpacking trip..9 months in, right now in Bagan, Burma, I'm thinking of going home though. I think Myanmar sucks so far, but maybe I am jaded and that I would have appreciated it more if it was my first destination. Right now I am at the point of going home or trying to find work somewhere to keep it going. I know that when I get home I will hate it after a week...
>>
>>1243227
Same here, came back after a 2 week trip. Really didn't want to go home and feel like shit now
>>
Its been half a year since my 3 month hitchhiking trip and I just don't feel the same anymore. At first I was feeling so damn good to be back home but in some time I was already itching to go back on road, anywhere. Meeting new people everyday, new cities, new adventures, you don't take anything for granted. When you get back home everything starts being the same again no matter how hard you try, its not the same as being on the road. It would be perfect if it would be possible to travel half a year and then stay put for half a year.

Also hitchhiking and backpacking is almost addictive I would say.
>>
>>1244735
I might get a job lined where I can essentially work 7 months, then take 5 months off.

Theoretically I can do 6-on/6-off, or even 5-on/7-off. Hell, I could probably even do less than 4-on and still live reasonably comfortably.
>>
>>1243637
Really? Myanmar was one of my favorite places. I think Inle Lake is overrated and Bagan has become a bit touristy. The south of the country I enjoyed a lot and it felt totally foreign. I know that feeling of not appreciating stuff after awhile. Myanmar is also a tough country to transport around. Long, uncomfortable bus ride.
>>
>>1242903
I've been home for two weeks now, after 18 months of traveling.

After 14 months I came home because I had to, stayed a month and hated it, then decided to fuck off again for 3 more months. Now after 18 months I'm truly done and have no desire to travel any longer.

Traveling changed me pretty dramatically. When I left my self-esteem was shit and had been for years, I didn't have many real friends, and I was burned out at my job. Now my self-esteem is pretty good and I have a much easier time making friends, and still talk to lots of people all around the world.

Maybe I didn't need to travel for the last 6 months of it, I didn't get anywhere near as much out of it as the first 6 months, but at least now I truly got it out of my system 100%.

>>1243637
Figure out what you're really still interested in and go do it. Don't make yourself go see tourist sites if you're not that into them. If you want to go to Pattaya and go on a whore-rampage, go for it. If you want to go to Koh Rong and get fucked up and hang out on the beach for a month, go for it.
>>
>>1243218
>tfw you know that every single one of your future backpacking trips will be limited to 1-2 weeks
>>
>>1244926
Wow 18 months. Must be nice.
Where did you travel to friend?
>>
here is my plan
>save up money get like 30k by next year
>quit job travel travel WWOOFing and shit like that for as long as I can
>when I run out of money go home and join the military
what do you think lads? how many years can I go?
>>
>>1244943
Asia and Africa for 8 months, and Latin America for the last 10.

>>1244968
If you're smart about it and disciplined with your money you can travel indefinitely like that. You just have to do the WWOOFing and little travel jobs to make money along the way.

Realistically though you'll end up finding some place along the way that you don't want to leave, and just settle in and work for a while there. I would have stayed in lots of places if I didn't have a good career to come back to.
>>
>>1244927
>>1243218

I came back from India after a two week break and I'm actually glad to be back

I pushed way too hard on travelling around and I found the horrible toilets, heat, and being treated like a minor celebrity exhausting as hell

That country fucking destroyed me but I had a blast
>>
>>1242903
Two year burnout is kind of normal for most jobs...

What do you do for a living?
>>
>>1245129
>horrible toilets
Be honest with me here: Have you tried shitting in public streets?

I won't judge, and you're anonymous here.

I'm not even trying to be a dumbass on purpose here, I just assume it's an inevitability due to poverty and sheer population size. If there aren't enough toilets, and there are lots and lots of people, then it seems plausible that it would be difficult to poo in loo.
>>
>>1244968
>accommodations - $30/night
>food - $25/day
>transportation - $10/day
>other activities - $15/day

$80 per day total, living pretty comfortably in a cheap part of the world. That's 375 days total, or about a year. If you wanted to slum it you could cut that budget in half, and do 2. If you can work along the day and get a couple extra grand that would extend it quite a bit. Really depends on where you want to travel and how comfortable you want to be. Where are you planning to go anon?
>>
>>1242903
Dread, and depression. I hate being home, I don't like home.
>>
>>1244926
No desire at all? Really?

I've been traveling for 12 months and am just beginning, really.

What's your current goals or plans that overshadow travel?
>>
>>1245167

I saw other people shitting and pissing but I basically just refused to shit in between hostels. I did piss though at which point an indian dude was like "Is this what you think of our country??"

"My guy, I've seen you guys pissing and shitting literally everywhere"
>>
>>1245273
>an indian dude was like "Is this what you think of our country??"
I could say the same about the Indians living in my country.

Holy shit, the stories I could tell.
>>
>>1242959
This is the single most important post I have read on this site.
Saved
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.