[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is traveling alone insightful/fun? and tips/resources you have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: 1469202871035.jpg (38KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1469202871035.jpg
38KB, 500x375px
is traveling alone insightful/fun?

and tips/resources you have for someone who wants to travel complete alone?
>>
>>1242393
To an extent it's fun. But if you're like most people, the more you travel, the more you'll wish someone was at your side to share the experience. Even if you're not like most people, it still gets lonely.
>>
it's like being born again
>>
>>1242393
I usually end up having a lot of fun traveling alone. Traveling in a group larger than 3 can get complicated pretty quick unless you plan shit out properly beforehand
>>
>>1242393
I'm also curious since I've booked my first solotrip and scared ;_;
>>
>>1242393
yeah, it is. learn to be an adult
>>
>>1242834
>>1242393
I've traveled mostly solo since 2009, and I've rather enjoyed it.
Loneliness isn't really a factor, as long as you have things to see and do (do your research, don't go somewhere where there's fuck all to do).
If not the most socially able person (classical autism), but I usually have no trouble making small talk with people I meet locally.
The downside is the increased cost (just about everything is calculated based on 2 people it seems), but not having to keep anyone but yourself in mind when deciding where to go, what to see it really ends up being a net positive.
>>
>>1242843
If worst comes to worst you can still shitpost with a new flag on /int/ and /pol/ desu
>>
>>1242393
OP, I have a really good time alone in a city, doing museums by day where I can join a hourly walking tour or slide off to linger where I want in the exhibits (put on some headphones if you want), taking train trips alone, eating at a finer restaurant or pub or somewhere you can chat up a local in the evening like a live music venue, a spa day alone, and oh, power shopping alone. I love touring cathedrals alone and talking to clergy types or church volunteers who will often (very often) enjoy their talk with you too and invite you to lunch or something to hang with a local. If you worry about evenings alone, book a literary pub crawl in somewhere like Dublin, or ghost or other evening timed historical tour. Foodie tours can be very rewarding, and even save you money. It gives everyone there a reason to talk to each other. It can also help to have a kind of deeper travel that isn't all socially oriented. Read a novel or two before going that were inspired/written by a writer there. Or visit set locations of films you love from there. Read up a little bit on the politics that shapes/shaped. Become a student of architecture. You know a bit more. I suggest reading two sagas before going to Iceland, and go ahead and watch the Vikings series.

There will inevitably be very randomly amazing things that you see or experience that if it's not your choice to be alone for can be a little sad/lonely without someone to share. Some travel ideas like cruises can particularly feel lonely when it's all big family reunions around you or long time couples.
>>
>>1242419
Fuck travelling with more than 3 people. Better avoid all the drama.
>>
>>1242393
test
>>
>>1242393

I've taken plenty of trips alone.

While I always manage to find company, ultimately, I am by myself when I embark on my first flight and return home afterward.

There's no big fuss about it. Sometimes I've gotten lonely and wished I had a close friend to share new memories with, but I've never concluded a trip and regretted not having waited for company to come along.
>>
>>1242393
>something sucks, is boring or you just wanna do something else?
no problem, do that
>you like it somewhere and want to stay there for hours?
no problem, do that.
not as easy with other people unless they are literally your clones
>>
I wonder if this solo travel thread will turn into a debate about the ethics of prostitution like the last one did...
>>1233255
>>
How's going to Tokyo alone?

can I get brief list of solo starter destinations?
>>
>>1242844
Kek this is something I've always quite liked about traveling when I get bored
>>
>>1243193
I haven't been to Tokyo but Hong Kong is pretty good solo, lots to do within short distances and the language barrier isn't very difficult to navigate at all. Good for partying, lots of amazing food and easy to meet people.

Shanghai is also really fun solo, language barrier is a little more difficult with people but pretty much all public signs and metro info is translated to English so getting around is easy. It is a really big city with a ton of good places to eat and things to see and do.

Beijing is similar to Shanghai solo travel wise but with more historical sights to see, the downside is it can be pretty bad with pollution.

I mostly travel solo, I like China because it is very safe for foreigners, fairly cheap and lots of interesting and fun things to see and do. It all depends on what your interests are though.
>>
File: for trv tokyo.jpg (151KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
for trv tokyo.jpg
151KB, 1000x667px
>>1243193
I went solo last year, probably the best foreign (non western) trip place I can think of. Everything is easy for a tourist to do, the transport is in English and easy to navigate, there's stuff to see and do everywhere, it's one of the safest places in the world

Generally, if people say that a place is safe for solo females, I'll presume that it's safe enough for me and my autism. I also like places that have tourist trails and tourist infrastructure because you know you can handle it without a friend for help
>>
>>1242393
I think it really depends on the person.

I am introverted but I generally don't like travelling and especially not alone.

Usually I travel with a good friend who really digs travelling and plans all the locations we visit and I just follow. And if we have a rare disagreement on what to do, for example a friend wants to check out clubs and hit on women, we just separate for a few hours and meet again at the hotel.

Travelling just gets me out of my comfort zone so I like to have a familiar face around with whom I can have fun and chat all the time. This also fills up all the boring times with entertainment.
>>
>>1242393
Depends heavily on your personality. Extroverts hate it and feel like they aren't even "there" without bouncing their normalfaggotry off other people while for introverts its the only way to enjoy yourself without feeling like an anxious wreck.

I prefer going it alone most of the time, with very select individuals who are good to bring in certain circumstances. Learning to enjoy things alone is important for personal development IMO
>>
File: 1482473803668.jpg (2MB, 1712x1712px) Image search: [Google]
1482473803668.jpg
2MB, 1712x1712px
>>1242393
>is traveling alone insightful/fun?

For me traveling alone or with only one other person is more fun than traveling in a group. Keeping a group together or deciding on things to do is hard and sometimes impossible.

>go somewhere no one has been before with 6 people
>"Hey guys we should really plan out some places to eat/drink and see before we get there"
>Haha anon you're such an old man, we can just wing it when we get there. There will be PLENTY to do, we won't run out of things there
>I'm in the minority so I just give up on it
>First night there
>no one knows where to eat, people don't want to eat at a chain, another place looks too *dirty*, others don't want to go to X because "that place looks kinda pricey"
>Finally find a place after almost dragging the group into some place I looked up, have an awesome time drink till last call meet some cool locals
>Next day
>Everyone wakes up a bit late but completely understandable giving the prior night
>Noon rolls around "what do you guys want to do?"
>Oh I dunno what do you want to do
>we could do X
>nah X sounds boring why not Y
>X and Y sound bad let's do Z
>nah, Z sounds silly and is a bit far
>whole group can't decide what to do
>get bored as shit and say that I am just going to go out and do some stuff
>have a blast with some locals and getting lost around town with some places I looked up
>Come back around midnight bit drunk and worn out
>Everyone has just been dicking around on their laptops playing video games and facebook shit "hey I'm in X it's so awesome! :D"
>"wow anon where were you?"
>explain what happened
>Well would have been nice if you invited us! We traveled in a group you remember right?

Pretty much the sole reason I travel alone now, or if a group is going to X I'll grab a cheap airbnb and meetup at places with people.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.